Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
seriously, all Samsung needs is a killer operating system that rivals Android OS with functionality, and has the ease of use of iOS, and they can be serious competitors to the trending walled gardens we are seeing. Bada OS doesn't cut it.

You know what Samsung needs to do? Stop messing with Bada crap and make a tablet for Windows 8. Do you think Sammy could ever code an OS from the ground-up as good as MSFT? MSFT + Samsung seems to me a marriage made in heaven!

dba7dba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Near Apple
You know what Samsung needs to do? Stop messing with Bada crap and make a tablet for Windows 8. Do you think Sammy could ever code an OS from the ground-up as good as MSFT? MSFT + Samsung seems to me a marriage made in heaven!

Samsung did. The Win8 tablets MS gave away in the recent dev conference was from samsung. One with beastly spec.

They sell hw with android, Bada, Win8. And provide critical parts for iOS stuff.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky

I agree, they should start from scratch with regards to operating system.

As for Windows 8 tablets, its 99.999% certain Samsung will be making Windows 8 tablets in the future.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
Samsung did. The Win8 tablets MS gave away in the recent dev conference was from samsung. One with beastly spec.

They sell hw with android, Bada, Win8. And provide critical parts for iOS stuff.

I think Sammy can easily replace the $7 billion of Apple with their own Windows 8 tablet + supplying components to other OEMs. No problem, as the market is thirsting for an iPad alternative!

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
There's always a market for the cheap and disposable. That will never change.

You mean that the largest market is for the less expensive items, no matter what they are. Toyota sells more Corolla's than they do Lexus ES 330's, etc, etc.

dba7dba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Near Apple
I think Sammy can easily replace the $7 billion of Apple with their own Windows 8 tablet + supplying components to other OEMs. No problem, as the market is thirsting for an iPad alternative!

Other tablet makers will jump with joy when apple stops buying ram from samsung, freeing up all those RAM for less. They will be able to price their tablets less than ipad and you know where that leads to.

Remember TouchPad? Lower price and it outSOLD ipad by a huge margin.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Nokia was the one which wanted to go to court, it was Apple that wanted to settled down.

And why has to be disclosed what anyone pays for FRAND? No one pays the same amount

Nokia taking Apple to court is how these companies negotiate settlements if you haven't been paying attention.

Microsoft settled out of court after Apple sued then in the 1990s. It's the way all of these companies negotiate, most sue then settle during the discovery process, before things go to trial. This way most info can be kept out of public record, or severely redacted when published in public record.

Business 101, sue to get someone to the negotiating table.

The FRAND patent practice is an idea, not law. It is put forth by international standards committees, to play fair, and allow all manufactures to license patents that are used in standards.

If Samsung or someone takes a FRAND patent suit to actual trial, there will intense scrutiny on the FRAND practice, and legal judgments will be made that affect the entire tech industry. FRAND may become law, with various legal opions in different courts across the world. The system works pretty well right now, the last thing the tech companies want is legal presidence and guidelines, dictated by various courts around the world.

Samsung may not want it's patents legally declared FRAND, because then they become less valuable in negations if they have to license them by court order rather than business negotation.

Its a dangerous game of chicken when you sue with patents that could become less valuable if you lose the trial.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Really, Everything I have read is that no claims have been slashed, so far oracle patents are valid, and google couldn't get the copyright part of the case thrown out. Obviously you haven't read the public transcripts.

Claims reduced from 128 to 3 : http://www.infoq.com/news/2011/05/google-oracle
Damages reduced :
http://newsandinsight.thomsonreuter...ge_rejects_Oracle_damages_estimate_vs_Google/

Go spend a week reading fosspatents rather than one PCMag article if you want to find in depth analysis.

Wait, why would I read Florian Mueller's anti-google agenda tainted reporting ? I get most of my unbiased reporting on law cases from Groklaw. They don't have an agenda. I suggest you remove FOSSpatent from your reading list if you want to remain unbiased and untainted. Florian Mueller has 0 credibility :

http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php/Florian_Müller

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I think Apple has bitten off more then it can chew now. Obviously Samsung has just had enough and is going to hit them where it hurts. But it has to be remembered it's Korean, a lot of the other companies suing Apple or Apple is suing are also from that part of the world. So if Apple gets a reputation of being difficult to deal with, then who do they think is going to deal with them?

Sure Apple spends loads of money, but if that money comes with hassle and stress and possibilities of having your own products taken of sale, then your not going to deal with them are you.
Then again you can alway's save Apples money up to spend on your defence or case.

Anyway pot kettle black is a phrase that comes to mind with this, Apple is going to need luck with this one. Just launch the iPhone 5 first though ;)

Anyway Apple will never corner the mobile phone market, no one will, choice is too big and you just piss everyone off if you just have the competition banned. they could be the new Nokia? The market really needs MS to step up and be successful to help balance it out again.

Still, nice to see they can all waste endless millions when endless billions are being wiped of the world markets, keeps those lawyers in their Rolls Royce's or Maybach's. I would say Jaguar's but with the money they must be getting these day's........

Last edited:

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
I think Apple has bitten off more then it can chew now. Obviously Samsung has just had enough and is going to hit them where it hurts. But it has to be remembered it's Korean, a lot of the other companies suing Apple or Apple is suing are also from that part of the world. So if Apple gets a reputation of being difficult to deal with, then who do they think is going to deal with them?

Sure Apple spends loads of money, but if that money comes with hassle and stress and possibilities of having your own products taken of sale, then your not going to deal with them are you.
Then again you can alway's save Apples money up to spend on your defence or case.

Anyway pot kettle black is a phrase that comes to mind with this, Apple is going to need luck with this one. Just launch the iPhone 5 first though ;)

Apple is getting a bad reputation in Korea. MSFT has been very kind to Asia in general and I can see them benefiting!

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Apple is getting a bad reputation in Korea. MSFT has been very kind to Asia in general and I can see them benefiting!

Koreans still love iProducts though. Thats not going to change. And banning a product with that much popularity will create a huge black market for it in Korea.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
No problem, as the market is thirsting for an iPad alternative!

Is it?

If the market was really "thirsting" for an iPad alternative, it would have snapped up the TouchPad and the Playbook.

But it didn't. They lingered on store shelves, dusty and unwanted, until the prices got slashed.

A lot of people who, for whatever reason, don't like Apple, seem to be putting their hopes in Windows 8 somehow succeding where Android and WebOS and QNS failed. I think they are going to be mistaken.

Because nobody really likes Microsoft. And nobody really likes Samsung either. But more importantly, nobody (sane) is going to go out and waste $500 or $600 just to "stick it" to Steve Jobs and the folks at Apple. They are going to say: "Do I spend $500 on an iPad - for which there is all this wonderful software. That works with my iPhone and my Itunes library. That I KNOW just works. Or do I go and spend the same $500 and buy myself the same heaches I've tolerated from Windows all these years. Do I buy myself a Samsung, with an incomprehensible manual like the one that came with the LCD TV set and DVD player I bought."

Sensible people don't buy computer products out of spite.

dba7dba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Near Apple
Is it?

If the market was really "thirsting" for an iPad alternative, it would have snapped up the TouchPad and the Playbook.

But it didn't. They lingered on store shelves, dusty and unwanted, until the prices got slashed.

A lot of people who, for whatever reason, don't like Apple, seem to be putting their hopes in Windows 8 somehow succeding where Android and WebOS and QNS failed. I think they are going to be mistaken.

Because nobody really likes Microsoft. And nobody really likes Samsung either. But more importantly, nobody (sane) is going to go out and waste $500 or $600 just to "stick it" to Steve Jobs and the folks at Apple. They are going to say: "Do I spend $500 on an iPad - for which there is all this wonderful software. That works with my iPhone and my Itunes library. That I KNOW just works. Or do I go and spend the same $500 and buy myself the same heaches I've tolerated from Windows all these years. Do I buy myself a Samsung, with an incomprehensible manual like the one that came with the LCD TV set and DVD player I bought."

Sensible people don't buy computer products out of spite.

imo if apple stops buying ram/display from samsung, that's a good thing for other tablet makers. Price of components has been artificially high due to apple sucking up all available components. IF apple goes to another supplier, samsung will just sell the parts to others who can then finally price their tablets/phones competitively against iDevices.

And yes touchpad was collecting dust but when the price was right, it outsold ipad.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I'll just leave these here

Has anyone seen this phone before? I finally found out the model after scratching my head seeing someone use it on the bus. I couldn't take my eyes off it because it looked so much like an iPhone no matter how long I looked.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_ace_s5830-review-558p2.php

samsung-1.jpg

samsung2.jpg

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
Has anyone seen this phone before? I finally found out the model after scratching my head seeing someone use it on the bus. I couldn't take my eyes off it because it looked so much like an iPhone no matter how long I looked.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_ace_s5830-review-558p2.php

Yes the Samsung Galaxy S II is a total ripoff and should not be allowed to be sold. End of story. Samsung should learn how to innovate! The thing is the iPhone design is so perfect that any other design looks inferior. Game over.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Oracle's lawsuit is crumbling. Their claims have been slashed, their patents found invalid and their damage awards severely reduced. And they are still in the process of discovery, they haven't even reached trial yet.

I wouldn't count on Oracle too much.

Not to mention that they've completely mishandled the Sun acquisition in general.

Now all we need is RedHat to develop an OracleDB competitor so we can forget about Oracle beyond Java. :rolleyes:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Yes the Samsung Galaxy S II is a total ripoff and should not be allowed to be sold. End of story.

Hum, his pics were for the Samsung Galaxy Ace, not the Galaxy S II. And the Ace has quite a few differentiating features, the backs are completely different, the front is rife with branding and the Ace sports a bevel, making the grey sides flush with the front instead of front plate being slightly recessed.

You'd have to be blind or have never seen an iPhone 4 to mistake the 2.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Any suits against apple is of their own doing. They're the ones who started this whole thing filing suit after suit after suit and now the competition is fighting back. The sooner apple realizes it's not the center of the universe the better off everyone will be.

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
As I said, you only look at sales figures if supports your Apple is king viewpoint. If another companies sales figures are greater, you dismiss it as irrelevant and that only the categories concerning Apple are what matter. And only you are capable of deciding which ones matter. Like I said, it sounds a bit hypocritical to me, but what do I know, I'm open minded?

Aren't you a blind hater hiding behind "i'm not biased" curtain :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.