Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
0371289fcc921cf2f715741d37027b0c.jpg
b501425255ccde7c6964b0f4d056aaef.jpg
c18e8c24d82429dda9f216903372e703.jpg
b10fe9e8e186b8456fca1d09e0ca6a43.jpg
414691cb8221b0f01303aefebb5f38a9.jpg

I treated my Apple Watch with kid gloves, I never hurt it or damaged it in any way. It went in a special drawer to charge. Yet the screen came off, popped off and stuck to my finger. Interestingly enough, the touch screen works perfectly while detached. The sapphire glass doesn't have a scratch. But it doesn't mater much when it's dangling from the watch ready to drop off and be lost forever. needless to say, I'm not happy my $700 watch would do this.

Moreso, I'm appalled by the way the Apple Store handled my problem. When I brought the watch in for an exchange, not only did they make me wait 50 minutes for someone to come out and tell me that it would take an entire week or more to get a replacement because they "didn't have any" as person after person walked by with my EXACT SAME MODEL WATCH they had just purchased on the spot, but it gave me ample time to unavoidably demonstrate the hidden "special feature" of a detachable screen to every customer who came into the store to look at the watches and expressed horror at mine. Rather the simply send someone out to exchange the watch, they created a ridiculous and embarrassing situation where I was awkwardly waiting around to be helped with my noticeably broken $700 purchase at the ACTUAL watch merchandise table (where they told me to wait). Long story short, I was endlessly questioned by would-be watch purchasers about my broken watch and thusly compelled to demonstrate.

50 minutes later I was then told because it had been 19 days since I had gotten my watch (even though I had ordered it on the first preorder date) I was not eligible to simply swap it for another one, even though they agreed it was obviously a manufacturer defect since the watch had no damage otherwise of any kind and was physically flawless.

I get that it's over the 14 day return period, but I didn't even want to return it, I just wanted a watch that wasn't broken after waiting months for it and because they HAD MY FREAKING MODEL IN STOCK. I've never been treated this way by apple before in my 20 years of dealing with apple products. I can't help but feel that this is a serious problem with the company and a total abandonment of their very best customers. Once the new apple has your money, they could give a flying **** about you. That's the way other tech companies are, not the way Apple is supposed to be.

Last edited:

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
I can certainly understand your frustration but I'm sure they were referring to replacement units when they said they didn't have them in stock. I don't think they've ever taken new units out of full packaging to replace any product for warranty issues. It usually takes some time to get a stock of "white box units" after a product launch.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
I can certainly understand your frustration but I'm sure they were referring to replacement units when they said they didn't have them in stock. I don't think they've ever taken new units out of full packaging to replace any product for warranty issues. It usually takes some time to get a stock of "white box units" after a product launch.

Agreed. Your situation totally sucks, but the store can only replace units with specially designated units. So sorry and hope you get your watch ASAP.

Reactions: joonyaboy

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I'd already be on the phone with Apple over this.

I had a software issue and they wanted to send it out and it was well under 14 days. They claimed they didn't have any SS 42mm BSB in stock to exchange.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
They had to send my Apple Watch back for a software issue after I attempted to pair it to a replacement iPhone. The Genius Bar said that it's a known bug, but unfortunately they have to do the repairs centrally for now.

Generally Apple has "replacement stock" for its products. However, the new MacBook and Watch are not available in sufficient stock yet for Apple to set aside replacement units. In theory you could buy a new one and return it in a few days when you get your replacement back.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

I'm sure it's rare but I had an iPad replaced with a new retail model. I might have been within the 14-day period though.

Knightcastle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
I have had a macbook charger replaced with an off the shelf, ready for sale one.

I'm sure if they really wanted to, they could give him one that wasn't designated for replacement stock, then explain to the bigwigs at the next meeting that he was actively telling people the screen just pops off when you touch it so they had to do something to pacify him.

After all, they're all the same watch, are they not? I can't imagine there's many refurbs knocking around to serve as replacements? Maybe that's the problem?

EDIT: Just realised this is quickly going to turn into a "I had my <insert apple product> after <insert fault>, and I had a fantastic time in the Apple shop despite being in <insert similar situation>" thread

Probably the last thing he wants to hear. As others have said - call Apple and explain, you'll likely end up getting a new one next day shipped to you.

Reactions: Nermal

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
That's sad and interesting at the same time. I know I wouldn't have been happy either with the wait time, which you didn't mention how long they said it would be. With the stores just getting in supplies of watches I can understand if they don't yet have the white box watches available for a swap like undoubtedly they will after a period of time. This definitely falls into the first buyers' drawback. Totally understand how after ordering during pre-order you'd be unhappy about waiting longer to use your watch. The 14-19 day time period kind of reminds me of my friend who had bought a Prius and right after the warranty period on the battery expired, their battery went out, although at least in your situation it will be exchanged. I guess they have to set dates and hold to them but having this happen right at the beginning like this sucks.

I know someone else here had an issue and needed to exchange and was met with the same circumstances of not being able to take new stock to do the exchange. They weren't happy either. Sorry this happened to you. I know you probably don't want to hear this but I kind of find it nice (for lack of a better word) that they didn't rush you off to some corner to "hide" your problem with the screen. While it might have scared off some potential purchasers, it does show that products do go through some production problems, even Apple. And clearly with so many watches sold and in use this problem doesn't happen often. This is the first I've heard. Did they say how long your wait will be? They will probably over-estimate the time just to be on the safe side. Please let us know how your exchange goes.

Interesting pics. Wonder what exactly the bonding issue was with yours. Could you see any of the glue?

Last edited:
Reactions: okwhatev

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
It really depends who you are talking to at Apple. Some are more helpful that others. I had issues with my first three SS 42MM watches and a very nice lady at Apple tech support was monitoring the situation. When I got my 4th watch and reported to her that it was perfect, she asked me to find an item in the Apple store to the value of £50 and let her have the part number and she would send it to me free of charge to compensate for my inconvenience and bad luck with Apple watches.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
It seems that because the  Watch is new, some store employees just don't know what to do to properly address issues with the watches.

I walked into an Apple Store in Orlando weeks ago (while on vacation) with my 42 SS (had AppleCare+) damaged when my Leather Loop band kept coming undone allowing the watch to fall off my wrist (by the way, I was fitted for the Leather Loop band during a scheduled appointment in an Apple Store where I live).

All the store employees wanted to see the watch, but they told me I would have to "come back later" to start the procedure to have it replaced. Even though the 4 tech/genius/management employees I spoke with were just standing around a table chatting, shoulder to shoulder, they sent me out of the store with nothing started in the replacement process. I just went back to hotel and called AppleCare who sent me a new watch and a free Milanese Loop band, received it with day & a half shipping.

When I got home, I returned to AppleStore where I was originally fitted for Leather Loop band and was given a generous Store credit which I will use towards wife's new iPhone this fall. (Oh, I returned the Leather Loop band for refund as well).

IMG_0207.jpg

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
This kind of defect, they should just have given you a new watch on the spot.

This, yes. It's a big enough issue, and weird enough issue, that it should have just been replaced immediately.

If my screen pops off, they'd better replace it immediately or the whole store is going to hear about what happened (and at my almost-always-packed local store, that's a *lot* people).

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010

Wrong, they've definitely done this before. When I had my iPhone 4, the women came out with four brand new, fresh boxes of iPhones for me to go through until I found the perfect one. I wouldn't expect that to normally happen, but it can do and has happened.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
This, yes. It's a big enough issue, and weird enough issue, that it should have just been replaced immediately.

If my screen pops off, they'd better replace it immediately or the whole store is going to hear about what happened (and at my almost-always-packed local store, that's a *lot* people).

I was in the Apple store last night and an irate customer came in yelling and the police walked him right back out!

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2012
I know it might have seemed like they had your model in stock, but were people walking in and buying them off the shelf? Or did they by chance have them reserved?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I was in the Apple store last night and an irate customer came in yelling and the police walked him right back out!

Well, you don't have to yell to get noticed. I think OP got plenty of notice just standing at the table waiting to be helped.

I have a funny image in my head of someone with a popped off screen standing in front of the Apple Store in the middle of Grand Central Station telling everyone about it.... :p

Reactions: okwhatev

KisonBY

macrumors member
May 26, 2015
/offtopic on
This thread actually answered the question how big is the battery in 42mm version. I couldn't find this info elsewhere - all teardowns I have seen were for 38mm (cheap bastards!).
It's not sharp enough on these images, but seems to be 245 mAh, almost 20% over 305 mAh found in 38mm version. Purely for reference screen area seems to be 31% more for 42mm, but obviously screen is not 100% of power consumption here, so 42mm still generally lasts a bit longer.
/offtopic off

Back on topic, this made me worry more about my issue as I have bottom part of the glass just a little bit higher than the top one. Meaning, that if I rub my finger at the bottom of the watch where sapphire glass and case meet I definitely feel some unevenness while doing the same is very smooth. Been bothering me for couple days and now I'm wondering if something like this happens to me in future. Hate to replace it now and lose achievements and such plus there is always a chance a new one will have some other minor flaw (like the whole "black clipping" thing that I can see on my screen, but not so much than on my wife's Sport for example).

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
/offtopic on
This thread actually answered the question how big is the battery in 42mm version. I couldn't find this info elsewhere - all teardowns I have seen were for 38mm (cheap bastards!).
It's not sharp enough on these images, but seems to be 245 mAh, almost 20% over 305 mAh found in 38mm version. Purely for reference screen area seems to be 31% more for 42mm, but obviously screen is not 100% of power consumption here, so 42mm still generally lasts a bit longer.
/offtopic off

Back on topic, this made me worry more about my issue as I have bottom part of the glass just a little bit higher than the top one. Meaning, that if I rub my finger at the bottom of the watch where sapphire glass and case meet I definitely feel some unevenness while doing the same is very smooth. Been bothering me for couple days and now I'm wondering if something like this happens to me in future. Hate to replace it now and lose achievements and such plus there is always a chance a new one will have some other minor flaw (like the whole "black clipping" thing that I can see on my screen, but not so much than on my wife's Sport for example).

Get it replaced before it gets worse.

KisonBY

macrumors member
May 26, 2015
Get it replaced before it gets worse.
God I'm lazy for these types of things and have concerns for other smaller issues showing up.
In reality the screen is probably like 0.1 mm higher at the bottom than at the top. I tried really hard to see it with my eyes and can only see if if I truly believe it's higher. Feeling it with my finger is the only way to confirm it's there.

Besides, with AC+ I have 2 year warranty, so if it does come off or something like this, I will deal with it then. Not that it's essential device I have to plan on exactly when I don't have it. Not having it tomorrow is as good/bad as not having it on 6/27/2016 (date picked out of blue obviously).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.