Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
The exact same thing happened to mine yesterday. The screen came off for no reason. First, the Force Touch stopped working as I unsuccessfully tried to delete my notifications. It finally worked when I pressed harder. Later I saw that gap between the glass and the chassis. Luckily, it's still covered under Apple Care, which expires at the end of this month. That was very close! It's Series 1 and I've had it for almost 2 years. One of the early adopters. I made an appointment at the store and, to my surprise, they don't handle it the way they would do it with iPhone swaps. Now I'm gonna have to wait for at least a week to get a replacement. So un-Apple, I should say!

Attachments

• Watch.jpg
    Watch.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 257

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...Luckily, it's still covered under Apple Care, which expires at the end of this month. That was very close! It's Series 1 and I've had it for almost 2 years. One of the early adopters....
As an easy adaptor you should know you have a Series 0 and NOT a Series 1.:eek: Also if it is a swollen battery (most likely culprit) then it is covered even without Apple Care since Apple has acknowledged the problem and agreed to offer replacements.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
As an easy adaptor you should know you have a Series 0 and NOT a Series 1.:eek: Also if it is a swollen battery (most likely culprit) then it is covered even without Apple Care since Apple has acknowledged the problem and agreed to offer replacements.
Nope, the battery is fine. It looked intact under that screen LOL
Apparently, they don't do any repairs/evaluations at the store in regards to the Apple Watch. They have to ship them to their repair centers even for a simple evaluation. This is the very first glimpse of the new Apple. I think it's going to be even worse and might affect a wider array of products down the road. It's all about cost savings for them now. We can thank Angela and Tim, and the rest of the executive team with their millions haha.

RS1999ent

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Hi,

Just wanted to chime in to say that this happened to me too. I was working at home, looked down, only to see that my watch's face was missing. The funny thing is that the face gave no indication of being loss or wobbly beforehand. The watch is a black sport model that is two years and two weeks old---yep, literally two weeks out of AppleCare warranty :(.

Tripletap

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2015
Florida
Hi,

Just wanted to chime in to say that this happened to me too. I was working at home, looked down, only to see that my watch's face was missing. The funny thing is that the face gave no indication of being loss or wobbly beforehand. The watch is a black sport model that is two years and two weeks old---yep, literally two weeks out of AppleCare warranty :(.

Just happened to mine for the second time in a year, it's getting old.

DMIND00

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
Dallas, Texas
Apple Watch BAD SCREEN DESIGN: My 2 year 3 month old series 1 Apple Watch screen detached on 3 sides yesterday. I had no idea that the screens are an adhesive glue on. This is pathetic, had I known that the screen's are glued on, I never would have purchased one. It originally cost 800.00 now they tell be since Apple Senior Advisor told me that it will cost 230 plus tax to get fixed. I was very direct and pointed about this proposition and told him I wold not have the watch repaired and commented how I have been an avid Apple customer since 1985 and purchased a lot of apple products for the years especially recently, But I believe the quality of Apple products longevity is declining. This watch has been stored and worn carefully. Never dropped, banged or submerged under water. Buyer beware, before purchasing apple products ask how they are made and held together. Not to say that the Apple representatives in their store will know. I too will make an appointment to have my watch checked out and I too at some point during that visit will be sure to hang around the delay case and show potential buyers what they can be infor. As far as I am concerned if I had it repaired then the real purchase price is over 1,000.00 since I am having to pay for their flawed design of gluing glass on. I really did not find the senior adviser that concerned. ;Maybe someone needs to put a class action law usit together. Maybe that would catch Apples attention to redesign how the glass is held. It seems like they are too concerned about design look then durability and respect to their customers. The senior adviser indicated that he has heard a lot of complaints on this issue and the fact that people are having to pay for this.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
I'm somewhat surprised at this. My wife's Series 1 SS watches had the backs come off five times! Each time Apple replaced them at no cost. We both now have series 2 watches and have had no problem.

Does anyone know if this sort of thing has happened to Series 2 watches also?

Last edited:

DMIND00

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
Dallas, Texas
You do not consider the back coming off a problem, I would, just the inconvenience of having to deal with that 5 times. Also a series 2 watch is not that old, of course I do not consider a 2 and 3 month old watch old either. But obviously if the watch was that good they would have no problem having say a 5 year guarantee.

ksciacca

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2018
Colorado
Apple Watch BAD SCREEN DESIGN: My 2 year 3 month old series 1 Apple Watch screen detached on 3 sides yesterday. I had no idea that the screens are an adhesive glue on. This is pathetic, had I known that the screen's are glued on, I never would have purchased one. It originally cost 800.00 now they tell be since Apple Senior Advisor told me that it will cost 230 plus tax to get fixed. I was very direct and pointed about this proposition and told him I wold not have the watch repaired and commented how I have been an avid Apple customer since 1985 and purchased a lot of apple products for the years especially recently, But I believe the quality of Apple products longevity is declining. This watch has been stored and worn carefully. Never dropped, banged or submerged under water. Buyer beware, before purchasing apple products ask how they are made and held together. Not to say that the Apple representatives in their store will know. I too will make an appointment to have my watch checked out and I too at some point during that visit will be sure to hang around the delay case and show potential buyers what they can be infor. As far as I am concerned if I had it repaired then the real purchase price is over 1,000.00 since I am having to pay for their flawed design of gluing glass on. I really did not find the senior adviser that concerned. ;Maybe someone needs to put a class action law usit together. Maybe that would catch Apples attention to redesign how the glass is held. It seems like they are too concerned about design look then durability and respect to their customers. The senior adviser indicated that he has heard a lot of complaints on this issue and the fact that people are having to pay for this.

Mine came off after 14 months, Apple genius said I damaged it but how the hell do you drop it and have the screen pop off cleanly around the edge without a crack? I'd say they deserve a class action, to get their attention.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
You do not consider the back coming off a problem, I would, just the inconvenience of having to deal with that 5 times. Also a series 2 watch is not that old, of course I do not consider a 2 and 3 month old watch old either. But obviously if the watch was that good they would have no problem having say a 5 year guarantee.
Why I meant is that we had no problems with our Series 2 watches. The problems were with the Series 1. We now have Series 3 Edition watches, and no problems as yet.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Mine came off after 14 months, Apple genius said I damaged it but how the hell do you drop it and have the screen pop off cleanly around the edge without a crack? I'd say they deserve a class action, to get their attention.

A class action law suit? That Would cost you more time and money than the watch is even worth for an attorney and litigation.

If the watch looks like it was damaged around the casing, I’m sure that’s what Apple made their decision off. Not just the display popping off. Also, if the battery is not swelling and there is apparent damage to the watch, that’s also why they made their decision.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Go to your lawyer and tell him you want to start a Class action suit against Apple. Then get YOUR checkbook out.

ksciacca

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2018
Colorado
Or Apple Pay on the watch...

:D

When I went to write the check with my Apple Pen the tip fell off, damn, I guess I didn't have the update that slowed the pen and watch down so they wouldn't self destruct, my bad.
[doublepost=1521130064][/doublepost]
A class action law suit? That Would cost you more time and money than the watch is even worth for an attorney and litigation.

If the watch looks like it was damaged around the casing, I’m sure that’s what Apple made their decision off. Not just the display popping off. Also, if the battery is not swelling and there is apparent damage to the watch, that’s also why they made their decision.

There is no damage to the watch and the screen is not cracked, any external impact would have cracked the screen. Only explanation is the seal simply failed or internal pressure, either way it's a manufacturing defect. Plus I'm not the only complainer.

Hellenek

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Yesterday my screen popped on a perfectly working Series 0. It hasn't fully detached but I've stopped using it to avoid further complications. I have a friend coming over to the USA for a week. Would it be realistic to ask him to bring it to an Apple Store for repair? Would a week cover this? Would I have to pay for the repair?

What should I realistically expect to be done?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yesterday my screen popped on a perfectly working Series 0. It hasn't fully detached but I've stopped using it to avoid further complications. I have a friend coming over to the USA for a week. Would it be realistic to ask him to bring it to an Apple Store for repair? Would a week cover this? Would I have to pay for the repair?

If the battery is swollen, it likely most would be covered under the battery replacement program Apple extended three years for the first generation Apple Watch.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/04/28/original-apple-watch-repairs-extended/amp/

Hellenek

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Thank you. I have checked and the battery is swollen. Would Apple be able to swop it out there and then in the store or is there a waiting period?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Thank you. I have checked and the battery is swollen. Would Apple be able to swop it out there and then in the store or is there a waiting period?

Unfortunately, Apple does not do in-store replacements for the battery, it would have to be sent out and then mailed back to you.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon

Apple has extended the "secret" warranty for swollen battery replacement. When this happened with my wife's series 0 the Apple store. They didn't send the watch for repair but replaced it with a refurbished series 0 on the spot. Read this thread -- most people seemed to even get a free upgrade.

Hellenek

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Apple has extended the "secret" warranty for swollen battery replacement. When this happened with my wife's series 0 the Apple store. They didn't send the watch for repair but replaced it with a refurbished series 0 on the spot. Read this thread -- most people seemed to even get a free upgrade.

I'm hoping this will be the case as time will be a limiting factor. My friend's visit will be for about 4-5 days.

Hellenek

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Update: My friend went to an Apple Store in DC and they refused to swap the watch. He then went to another branch in California and they claimed that it had already been swapped once. He offered to pay to have it fixed and they refused because it is an end of line product.

I bought this watch brand new in the USA and this was the first time it had gone for repair. I don't understand how it's now has a swap out record in the Apple system. Any suggestions for how I can get this resolved?

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
The screen on my Series 3 had some movement. I sent it to Apple and they sent it back unrepaired with a note that claimed they couldn’t duplicate the problem. I sold the watch and waited for a Series 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.