Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
God I'm lazy for these types of things and have concerns for other smaller issues showing up.
In reality the screen is probably like 0.1 mm higher at the bottom than at the top. I tried really hard to see it with my eyes and can only see if if I truly believe it's higher. Feeling it with my finger is the only way to confirm it's there.

Besides, with AC+ I have 2 year warranty, so if it does come off or something like this, I will deal with it then. Not that it's essential device I have to plan on exactly when I don't have it. Not having it tomorrow is as good/bad as not having it on 6/37/2016 (date picked out of blue obviously).

suit yourself. :) I am not very tolerant of defects in a $600 device.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
This, yes. It's a big enough issue, and weird enough issue, that it should have just been replaced immediately.

If my screen pops off, they'd better replace it immediately or the whole store is going to hear about what happened (and at my almost-always-packed local store, that's a *lot* people).

Throwing a tantrum won't accomplish anything if they don't have replacements in stock.

Reactions: AFDoc

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I'd keep the broken watch...this guy will pay you top dollar for it.

xwkfqx2iv50r7iqdyysw.jpg

Reactions: okwhatev and Armen

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
I get that it's over the 14 day return period, but I didn't even want to return it, I just wanted a watch that wasn't broken after waiting months for it and because they HAD MY FREAKING MODEL IN STOCK. I've never been treated this way by apple before in my 20 years of dealing with apple products. I can't help but feel that this is a serious problem with the company and a total abandonment of their very best customers. Once the new apple has your money, they could give a flying **** about you. That's the way other tech companies are, not the way Apple is supposed to be.
What a thoroughly impressive sense of entitlement.

Do you always over-generalize like this?

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Over 14 days- warranty replacement- white box (part only) The replacements are not given from sellable stock. This is though, a time when a manager can use their discretion and override the above "rule" - but given the general tone of your post OP., I can't imagine why they would break protocol for you. Regardless of the seriousness of the problem.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
0371289fcc921cf2f715741d37027b0c.jpg
b501425255ccde7c6964b0f4d056aaef.jpg
c18e8c24d82429dda9f216903372e703.jpg
b10fe9e8e186b8456fca1d09e0ca6a43.jpg
414691cb8221b0f01303aefebb5f38a9.jpg

I treated my Apple Watch with kid gloves, I never hurt it or damaged it in any way. It went in a special drawer to charge. Yet the screen came off, popped off and stuck to my finger. Interestingly enough, the touch screen works perfectly while detached. The sapphire glass doesn't have a scratch. But it doesn't mater much when it's dangling from the watch ready to drop off and be lost forever. needless to say, I'm not happy my $700 watch would do this.

Moreso, I'm appalled by the way the Apple Store handled my problem. When I brought the watch in for an exchange, not only did they make me wait 50 minutes for someone to come out and tell me that it would take an entire week or more to get a replacement because they "didn't have any" as person after person walked by with my EXACT SAME MODEL WATCH they had just purchased on the spot, but it gave me ample time to unavoidably demonstrate the hidden "special feature" of a detachable screen to every customer who came into the store to look at the watches and expressed horror at mine. rather the. Send someone out to simply exchange the watch, they created a ridiculous and embarrassing situation where I was desperately waiting to be helped with my $700 purchase at the actual watch table where they told me to wait, so I was endlessly questioned by would-be watch purchasers about my broken watch.

50 minutes later I was then told because it had been 19 days since I had gotten my watch (even though I had ordered it on the first preorder date) I was not eligible to simply swap it for another one, even though they agreed it was obviously a manufacturer defect since the watch had no damage otherwise of any kind and was physically flawless.

I get that it's over the 14 day return period, but I didn't even want to return it, I just wanted a watch that wasn't broken after waiting months for it and because they HAD MY FREAKING MODEL IN STOCK. I've never been treated this way by apple before in my 20 years of dealing with apple products. I can't help but feel that this is a serious problem with the company and a total abandonment of their very best customers. Once the new apple has your money, they could give a flying **** about you. That's the way other tech companies are, not the way Apple is supposed to be.
Your issue sucks for sure but......
You sound like a child that was never told no. You don't get a brand new boxed watch as a replacement.... You get a white boxed item and if there were none available oh well... suck it up and wait. I say vote with your wallet and don't buy any more apple products... and ffs lose the entitlement attitude.

If my screen pops off, they'd better replace it immediately or the whole store is going to hear about what happened (and at my almost-always-packed local store, that's a *lot* people).
and all the people will laugh at you and have a story to tell all their friends about the jerkoff at the apple store. Some of you people are really mental cases.
What a thoroughly impressive sense of entitlement.
Do you always over-generalize like this?
I know right!

Over 14 days- warranty replacement- white box (part only) The replacements are not given from sellable stock. This is though, a time when a manager can use their discretion and override the above "rule" - but given the general tone of your post OP., I can't imagine why they would break protocol for you. Regardless of the seriousness of the problem.
I'm surprised with his attitude the manager didn't agree to buy him a new watch out of pocket...... Really surprised lol.

That's a load of you know what.
Don't throw stones, man, if you were in the same situation, you'd be angry too. The watch was more than defective and a luxury product. It should be replaced on the spot by a brand new unit.
I had a screw come lose inside the movement of a relatively new Longines once. Back to the store and the jeweler called Longines. They authorized him to immediately replace it with a brand timepiece, the last of my model in their store.
When you get into the luxury goods game, which Apple has officially done, you must treat your customers at a level above. Most of Apple's products are priced a level above and deserve similar treatment.
Of course I'd be upset but I wouldn't 1.Cry on a forum about it 2. Act like a child and while crying on a forum about it 3. Expect apple to totally change the way exchanges and warranty replacements are handled simply because I WANT IT!!
So yeah.... I'll toss stones in this situation and IF I ever came onto a forum crying like that I surely hope you'd do the same.

IF OP would have left the drama behind before coming and telling us the story I'd be more sympathetic to his issue....

Last edited:

starbot

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2005
That's a load of you know what.

Don't throw stones, man, if you were in the same situation, you'd be angry too. The watch was more than defective and a luxury product. It should be replaced on the spot by a brand new unit.

I had a screw come lose inside the movement of a relatively new Longines once. Back to the store and the jeweler called Longines. They authorized him to immediately replace it with a brand timepiece, the last of my model in their store.

When you get into the luxury goods game, which Apple has officially done, you must treat your customers at a level above. Most of Apple's products are priced a level above and deserve similar treatment.

You sound like a child that was never told no. You don't get a brand new boxed watch as a replacement.... You get a white boxed item and if there were none available oh well... suck it up and wait. I say vote with your wallet and don't buy any more apple products... and ffs lose the entitlement attitude.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
That's a new meaning to colors popping out at you. That sucks though on both accounts.

chillg8r

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
Durham,NC
OP- IMO there is no excuse for not replacing your watch either immediately or overnight. Worse case scenario they should have given you a loaner watch until your new one came in. I've been a sales rep for value added products for my entire career and this was bad customer service PERIOD. I would DEFINITELY elevate the issue.

I will withhold full judgement against Apple because they've always treated me appropriately or better, and I don't know the op and maybe he acted like a complete ass. But if everything occurred as described then Apple screwed the pooch on this one. JMO

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
This is not the way you treat customers with the launch of a new product, especially when you literally have ample stock of the model in question. It had only been 5 days over the 14 day period. They should've simply swapped the watch, and not made me wait an hour and regret my purchase entirely.

This is the place to rant, certainly not at the Apple Store, which I was in very good spirits actually because I thought the situation was really funny and incredibly awkward. As I typed the experience out I got more upset, mainly because thinking about the people that I kept showing the watch off to...demonstrating how the screen continued to work and function despite being detached. I also ended every demonstration with "other then the screen popping off I love the watch" which was both funny and true.

I was never rude to the employees. It's not their fault. But I expressed my disappointment in writing and felt especially bad when someone came, off the street, tried on my broken watch, fell in love with the exact model, asked if it was in stock to a nearby saleswoman, she checked and it was, and he bought a brand new one right there on the spot, leaving me and my broken watch behind while he left with an identical brand new one.

See where the anger starts to come from? This isn't cool any way you look at it. And good nature can only go so far until the scale is tipped to abuse and things we love start to be things we hate.

This is a luxury product and although I'm certainly NOT expecting over the top luxury store treatment in the Apple Store, I did really expect they would've just given me a new watch considering they were in stock, I had just gotten mine, and I was extremely polite and patient waiting over 50 minutes to leave with nothing, while someone off the street bought my exact watch.

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
And I thought we were am apple fans here? Where ELSE are you going to rant about a bad experience then a forum with likeminded people? Certainly I wouldn't have vented my frustration on the hourly employees working in a retail store. I'm not mean. I just wanted my very expensive watch replaced

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Is that a reflection in pic #2 or does it look like something was used to pry the screen off from the corner above the crown?

Lol. Nothing of the sort. There didn't look to be much adhesive at all on the rubber seal where the screen attached. Now if it just wore out or got too hot I'm not sure, but it's been sleeping in a drawer nice and cozy. It has been a heat wave in LA, but I don't recall any time it was ever in direct heat, other then being in use on hot days. I hope this isn't a bonding issue with the first batch of watches if they come under the more dramatic temperatures common in places like LA.

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
I'd already be on the phone with Apple over this.

I had a software issue and they wanted to send it out and it was well under 14 days. They claimed they didn't have any SS 42mm BSB in stock to exchange.

Actually that's why I came on the forum to complain and also because I think it's a pretty funny story. Since my watch is officially out for its replacement , I'm not sure what apple would be able to do for me over the phone. Should I actually call them? Would I THEN be an entitled jerk?

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
/offtopic on
This thread actually answered the question how big is the battery in 42mm version. I couldn't find this info elsewhere - all teardowns I have seen were for 38mm (cheap bastards!).
It's not sharp enough on these images, but seems to be 245 mAh, almost 20% over 305 mAh found in 38mm version. Purely for reference screen area seems to be 31% more for 42mm, but obviously screen is not 100% of power consumption here, so 42mm still generally lasts a bit longer.
/offtopic off

Back on topic, this made me worry more about my issue as I have bottom part of the glass just a little bit higher than the top one. Meaning, that if I rub my finger at the bottom of the watch where sapphire glass and case meet I definitely feel some unevenness while doing the same is very smooth. Been bothering me for couple days and now I'm wondering if something like this happens to me in future. Hate to replace it now and lose achievements and such plus there is always a chance a new one will have some other minor flaw (like the whole "black clipping" thing that I can see on my screen, but not so much than on my wife's Sport for example).

The unevenness will eventually lead to the screen popping off, rather dramatically (in my case while applying the slight pressure for force touch).

5c76e748575498596f519856b1b053b3.jpg

Here's a closer image of the battery. It's 246mah.

8b9de18cbb576063966d48e4b53f15d4.jpg

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
Why not call AppleCare and get them to send you an express replacment? You'll have it in your hands within 48 hours. Just send your old one back within 10 working days, otherwise they will charge you £480 (I think, not sure of price in dollars) for the replacment!

I did it when I dropped mine and dented the corner, meaning I couldn't fit my SS Link band to my watch. Called Apple on Tuesday, new watch arrived Thursday, old watch collected Friday and I got an e-mail from Apple on the following Tuesday to say they had recieved my watch, inspected it and it was as described, so they released the hold on my card, except for the £55 AppleCare+ excess fee.

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
That's sad and interesting at the same time. I know I wouldn't have been happy either with the wait time, which you didn't mention how long they said it would be. With the stores just getting in supplies of watches I can understand if they don't yet have the white box watches available for a swap like undoubtedly they will after a period of time. This definitely falls into the first buyers' drawback. Totally understand how after ordering during pre-order you'd be unhappy about waiting longer to use your watch. The 14-19 day time period kind of reminds me of my friend who had bought a Prius and right after the warranty period on the battery expired, their battery went out, although at least in your situation it will be exchanged. I guess they have to set dates and hold to them but having this happen right at the beginning like this sucks.

I remember this! It did suck! I'm planning to buy a tesla and I'm glad I've stuck it out this long. Now is a great time to buy one because of the chargers in place to support it.

I know someone else here had an issue and needed to exchange and was met with the same circumstances of not being able to take new stock to do the exchange. They weren't happy either. Sorry this happened to you. I know you probably don't want to hear this but I kind of find it nice (for lack of a better word) that they didn't rush you off to some corner to "hide" your problem with the screen. While it might have scared off some potential purchasers, it does show that products do go through some production problems, even Apple. And clearly with so many watches sold and in use this problem doesn't happen often. This is the first I've heard. Did they say how long your wait will be? They will probably over-estimate the time just to be on the safe side. Please let us know how your exchange goes.

they said it will be a week. Meanwhile the dude who was emamored with my demonstration left with a brand new one. Hey, aren't I at least due commission? Now I am entitled! ;)

<<<
Interesting pics. Wonder what exactly the bonding issue was with yours. Could you see any of the glue?

Little strings of it. There didn't appear to be much of it. Like it had either evaporated or there wasn't much there to begin with.

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Why not call AppleCare and get them to send you an express replacment? You'll have it in your hands within 48 hours. Just send your old one back within 10 working days, otherwise they will charge you £480 (I think, not sure of price in dollars) for the replacment!

I did it when I dropped mine and dented the corner, meaning I couldn't fit my SS Link band to my watch. Called Apple on Tuesday, new watch arrived Thursday, old watch collected Friday and I got an e-mail from Apple on the following Tuesday to say they had recieved my watch, inspected it and it was as described, so they released the hold on my card, except for the £55 AppleCare+ excess fee.

They took my watch, leaving me with my sad lonely little sport band which I tucked enclosureless into my front pocket like a loser while people left with those snazzy matching apple watch bags from off the street.

Whoo! Hi fives everyone!

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Make me even more happy I have AC+ so they express me a replacement overnight!

sounds even more and more that they do this systematically to sell more ACs with new devices. good business! not only sell the item but sell extra stuff too as being something normal you do ;) they have managed to sell the idea to buy ac, so everytime you buy a new apple device you probably buy ac too for iphone, ipad, watch, mb etc.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
sounds even more and more that they do this systematically to sell more ACs with new devices. good business! not only sell the item but sell extra stuff too as being something normal you do ;) they have managed to sell the idea to buy ac, so everytime you buy a new apple device you probably buy ac too for iphone, ipad, watch, mb etc.

You reasoning for me is wrong. I have NEVER bought any of the extended warranties for any Apple products and am way ahead of the game as far as money goes as I have never had an Apple device need servicing.

For me the watch represented way more possibility to be damaged by bashing it into things. Being a lifetime watch person, I know these things can and will happen so I made an exception here. Being a company owner with 35 employees, I am all to aware of Apple and it's marketing and the choice was mine.

If you choose not to buy, that is your choice, I have no problem with that. I hope you do not have a problem with my choice.:p

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
suit yourself. :) I am not very tolerant of defects in a $600 device.

All products have defects, whether isolated to a subset of units or systemic, regardless of price. It's how the vendor deals with them that counts. With Apple products, I've had good experiences calling and requesting repair or replacement.

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
They took my watch, leaving me with my sad lonely little sport band which I tucked enclosureless into my front pocket like a loser while people left with those snazzy matching apple watch bags from off the street.

Whoo! Hi fives everyone!

That was your fault for giving it to them. You could have been rational, told them no, you will not give it to them in store and that you will call AppleCare and arrange express replacment yourself over the phone.

Hell, I'm sure if you had asked they would have let you use their own phone to speak to AppleCare reps and arrange an express replacment.

Like I said though, they will place a hold on your card for several hundred until they recieve the old one back. If they dont get the old one back within 10 working days they charge you the full whack. If they recieve the old one bacl within 11-20 working days then they charge you a late return fee of a couple hundred! So if you ever do go for express replacment in the future just be sure to ship back the old one immediately.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Lol. Nothing of the sort. There didn't look to be much adhesive at all on the rubber seal where the screen attached. Now if it just wore out or got too hot I'm not sure, but it's been sleeping in a drawer nice and cozy. It has been a heat wave in LA, but I don't recall any time it was ever in direct heat, other then being in use on hot days. I hope this isn't a bonding issue with the first batch of watches if they come under the more dramatic temperatures common in places like LA.

Ah ok. The heatwave here definitely sucks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.