Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dilutedq

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
The problem is, I can tell from your tone that you don't sound like a very reasonable / nice person to deal with. It makes it hard to want to accommodate or rush to help someone who is like that.

**** happens, you got a bad watch. Sounds like you made it an awkward situation.

Reactions: jabingla2810

faqrulesyou

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2015
Some of those pics make it look like the upper right corner of the screen has been scratched or pried. I think another poster asked this, but I couldn't find the post when quickly spinning back through them. Totally looks like that screen was pried off.

Reactions: jaymc

SIR-Blade

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
UK
It seems that because the  Watch is new, some store employees just don't know what to do to properly address issues with the watches.

I walked into an Apple Store in Orlando weeks ago (while on vacation) with my 42 SS (had AppleCare+) damaged when my Leather Loop band kept coming undone allowing the watch to fall off my wrist (by the way, I was fitted for the Leather Loop band during a scheduled appointment in an Apple Store where I live).

All the store employees wanted to see the watch, but they told me I would have to "come back later" to start the procedure to have it replaced. Even though the 4 tech/genius/management employees I spoke with were just standing around a table chatting, shoulder to shoulder, they sent me out of the store with nothing started in the replacement process. I just went back to hotel and called AppleCare who sent me a new watch and a free Milanese Loop band, received it with day & a half shipping.

When I got home, I returned to AppleStore where I was originally fitted for Leather Loop band and was given a generous Store credit which I will use towards wife's new iPhone this fall. (Oh, I returned the Leather Loop band for refund as well).

View attachment 565572

After using the leather loop on a Sports watch, I too had the loop come "undone" 3 times in 3 days.
I realised then and there this was an accident waiting to happen, as once undone, the watch can just slip of your wrist.

Especially more so with the heavier Stainless Steel watches.

The leather loop is just crying out for a clasp mechanism at the end to securely hold it in place. Without that you’re going to see many more of the same incidents.

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
sounds even more and more that they do this systematically to sell more ACs with new devices. good business! not only sell the item but sell extra stuff too as being something normal you do ;) they have managed to sell the idea to buy ac, so everytime you buy a new apple device you probably buy ac too for iphone, ipad, watch, mb etc.

It's entirely possible that AC has access to white boxes whereas many local stores might not yet. I'm sure they will all have supplies at some point and something like what happened to OP would be a non-issue.

I don't get why some people always think there is something nefarious-like behind how Apple does things. Apple takes a lot of pride in its customer service which I have always found to be well above average. We bought AC with this watch because it was a totally new product, I was buying at the beginning of manufacture when things like this guy's screen problem are more likely to happen, and let's face it it's a product that can get banged into things or because it's taken off daily can fall and get damaged. No hard sell of AC at all. Never even read the AC advertising material. This is the first product I've ever taken it out on.

Last edited:

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
The problem is, I can tell from your tone that you don't sound like a very reasonable / nice person to deal with. It makes it hard to want to accommodate or rush to help someone who is like that.

**** happens, you got a bad watch. Sounds like you made it an awkward situation.

If you read the responses the OP made to the many comments on this, I think you might change your position a bit. Sounds like he was appropriate in the store. We all get frustrated by situations we don't seem to have a lot of control over (his being no white boxes to replace his watch with on his visit and not happy he couldn't just exchange for a new one). It's nice to have Apple friends to share your frustration with and that is what the forum serves as to a point.

BigInDallas

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2014
Connecticut
Why do so many of these threads descend into name calling and questioning people's maturity level? Here's a hint, if you feel the need to question the maturity of someone on the internet because that somehow makes you feel better, maybe you need to look in the mirror and start asking the same sorts of questions.
Its just shows what happens when you put a bunch of children together

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
All products have defects, whether isolated to a subset of units or systemic, regardless of price. It's how the vendor deals with them that counts. With Apple products, I've had good experiences calling and requesting repair or replacement.

I have too... really good experiences that is. That's why I am a loyal apple customer. I think they botched nearly everything about the watch except the actual watch itself, which I really like. But the launch, the attitude, the tryouts... it's kind of been a disaster.

Constructive criticism is a good thing, and I stand by my earlier comments, as the last thing I'd want apple to turn into is just another tech company in regards to defective products. I forgot to say, I have AppleCare+ on the watch as well... I had just bought it actually over the phone (which I kind of find is bizarre how do they know the watch is okay? They said the perform a diagnostic over the phone... Wha?? Nothing like that was performed to my knowledge).

Good news, they have my new one ready to pick up now. I can stop being an entitled little bitch now that I'm getting it back.

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Some of those pics make it look like the upper right corner of the screen has been scratched or pried. I think another poster asked this, but I couldn't find the post when quickly spinning back through them. Totally looks like that screen was pried off.

Nope. That's just glue. And normal stainless steel microscratches. No pry of any kind. It came off pressing down in the middle using force touch.

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
Glad the wait wasn't long. It's funny how it feels like something is missing on the few mornings I have left the house in a hurry and can't put it on until I get back. Hubby is traveling right now and I like getting the taps letting me know he's sent an message and we are still in touch. I use to miss messages all the time with my iPhone because I didn't always have it close by.

BTW I found your pics fascinating and can see why visitors to the store found it interesting as well yet still bought the watch. Not many get to actually see the guts in person (or hope to!). Anyone who buys Apple products figured you'd be made whole so not a huge concern or buyer turnoff as unfortunate as it was to have happen to you.

JaeMelo

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2015
OP I understand your a little butt hurt because you can't get what you want right away but... Apple can't just give you a brand new model with a new charger, band ect in the original box. Your AppleCare plan entitles you to one of their "refurbished units" which is still new but without all the additional accessories. Have you never used apple care on an iPhone before?!

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
I think it's more an issue of "Watch Separation Anxiety". After reading the thread on here I'm sure that's what it is and it's real LOL. I sometimes get pangs of it myself when mine is off my wrist. If you read all his comments, he was most frustrated to see his exact model going into the hands of others while his watch was going off to repair. Cut the guy a break. He's getting it back already and the world is back in sync. :D

Reactions: jbachandouris

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
I had an issue with my watch today. It got messed up during unpairing and just keeps rebooting at the Apple screen. So I went to the store and they told me a repair could have a 5-7 day turnaround. That was too long for me so I just called Applecare while I was at the store and they set me up with an Express Replacement that will arrive by Monday (2-3 days).

The way it works is if you have Applecare+, they will charge you a temporary hold for the new watch and will remove it when they receive the old one. I know it doesn't help you OP, but I thought it'd be good to mention it for anyone who needs a replacement, you can save yourself time and effort by just calling Applecare from home.

I feel for you, OP. I know Watch Separation Anxiety is real and I miss mine already. I had to go to the gym without it and I'm gonna be sad to see 3 days of missing activity in the app. Only positive is that I get a new watch, free of any cosmetic blemishes.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
After using the leather loop on a Sports watch, I too had the loop come "undone" 3 times in 3 days.
I realised then and there this was an accident waiting to happen, as once undone, the watch can just slip of your wrist.

Especially more so with the heavier Stainless Steel watches.

The leather loop is just crying out for a clasp mechanism at the end to securely hold it in place. Without that you’re going to see many more of the same incidents.

The sport strap is even worse. Truly a pickpockets dream. Pressure in the right place from just one finger and that watch will fly off of someone's wrist.

Reactions: AppleWes

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
The sport strap is even worse. Truly a pickpockets dream. Pressure in the right place from just one finger and that watch will fly off of someone's wrist.
I disagree completely. I really fail to see how someone could slide out the end of the strap and detach it from the pin without you noticing. That seems damn near impossible.

Reactions: jbachandouris

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Which hole are you using? Unless you are using the very last hole, I'd think it's very difficult to untuck the sports band.

Reactions: HopefulHumanist

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
polite and patient waiting over 50 minutes to leave with nothing, while someone off the street bought my exact watch.

Again, did you make an appointment in advance?

And you're free to start a discussion. No one wants to hear a rant. But if you do rant, don't get offended at the feedback.

rlekflek

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2015
20150928105628_p0BqbNCZ_godhopeful_20150928105614.jpg

20150928105628_2E8t1Iuz_godhopeful_20150928105620.jpg

Apple is rubbish.

Bruggs

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2016
0371289fcc921cf2f715741d37027b0c.jpg
b501425255ccde7c6964b0f4d056aaef.jpg
c18e8c24d82429dda9f216903372e703.jpg
b10fe9e8e186b8456fca1d09e0ca6a43.jpg
414691cb8221b0f01303aefebb5f38a9.jpg

I treated my Apple Watch with kid gloves, I never hurt it or damaged it in any way. It went in a special drawer to charge. Yet the screen came off, popped off and stuck to my finger. Interestingly enough, the touch screen works perfectly while detached. The sapphire glass doesn't have a scratch. But it doesn't mater much when it's dangling from the watch ready to drop off and be lost forever. needless to say, I'm not happy my $700 watch would do this.

Moreso, I'm appalled by the way the Apple Store handled my problem. When I brought the watch in for an exchange, not only did they make me wait 50 minutes for someone to come out and tell me that it would take an entire week or more to get a replacement because they "didn't have any" as person after person walked by with my EXACT SAME MODEL WATCH they had just purchased on the spot, but it gave me ample time to unavoidably demonstrate the hidden "special feature" of a detachable screen to every customer who came into the store to look at the watches and expressed horror at mine. Rather the simply send someone out to exchange the watch, they created a ridiculous and embarrassing situation where I was awkwardly waiting around to be helped with my noticeably broken $700 purchase at the ACTUAL watch merchandise table (where they told me to wait). Long story short, I was endlessly questioned by would-be watch purchasers about my broken watch and thusly compelled to demonstrate.

50 minutes later I was then told because it had been 19 days since I had gotten my watch (even though I had ordered it on the first preorder date) I was not eligible to simply swap it for another one, even though they agreed it was obviously a manufacturer defect since the watch had no damage otherwise of any kind and was physically flawless.

I get that it's over the 14 day return period, but I didn't even want to return it, I just wanted a watch that wasn't broken after waiting months for it and because they HAD MY FREAKING MODEL IN STOCK. I've never been treated this way by apple before in my 20 years of dealing with apple products. I can't help but feel that this is a serious problem with the company and a total abandonment of their very best customers. Once the new apple has your money, they could give a flying **** about you. That's the way other tech companies are, not the way Apple is supposed to be.
[doublepost=1473898397][/doublepost]My watch face fell off too. Wires connected and it works. Purchased 14 months ago so warrantee expired. Apple Store cannot fix but can send it out for repair and it costs $249. Original cost over $600. I emailed Tim Cook and the Apple Store called me 1 day later to tell me that they can't do anything unless we pay $249 for the repair. Not a great experience for such an expensive watch. Anyone know if glue can repair this without damaging the watch?

DianeJ

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2016
0371289fcc921cf2f715741d37027b0c.jpg
b501425255ccde7c6964b0f4d056aaef.jpg
c18e8c24d82429dda9f216903372e703.jpg
b10fe9e8e186b8456fca1d09e0ca6a43.jpg
414691cb8221b0f01303aefebb5f38a9.jpg

I treated my Apple Watch with kid gloves, I never hurt it or damaged it in any way. It went in a special drawer to charge. Yet the screen came off, popped off and stuck to my finger. Interestingly enough, the touch screen works perfectly while detached. The sapphire glass doesn't have a scratch. But it doesn't mater much when it's dangling from the watch ready to drop off and be lost forever. needless to say, I'm not happy my $700 watch would do this.

Moreso, I'm appalled by the way the Apple Store handled my problem. When I brought the watch in for an exchange, not only did they make me wait 50 minutes for someone to come out and tell me that it would take an entire week or more to get a replacement because they "didn't have any" as person after person walked by with my EXACT SAME MODEL WATCH they had just purchased on the spot, but it gave me ample time to unavoidably demonstrate the hidden "special feature" of a detachable screen to every customer who came into the store to look at the watches and expressed horror at mine. Rather the simply send someone out to exchange the watch, they created a ridiculous and embarrassing situation where I was awkwardly waiting around to be helped with my noticeably broken $700 purchase at the ACTUAL watch merchandise table (where they told me to wait). Long story short, I was endlessly questioned by would-be watch purchasers about my broken watch and thusly compelled to demonstrate.

50 minutes later I was then told because it had been 19 days since I had gotten my watch (even though I had ordered it on the first preorder date) I was not eligible to simply swap it for another one, even though they agreed it was obviously a manufacturer defect since the watch had no damage otherwise of any kind and was physically flawless.

I get that it's over the 14 day return period, but I didn't even want to return it, I just wanted a watch that wasn't broken after waiting months for it and because they HAD MY FREAKING MODEL IN STOCK. I've never been treated this way by apple before in my 20 years of dealing with apple products. I can't help but feel that this is a serious problem with the company and a total abandonment of their very best customers. Once the new apple has your money, they could give a flying **** about you. That's the way other tech companies are, not the way Apple is supposed to be.
[doublepost=1475240622][/doublepost]Omg this just happened to my 700. Watch should not do this! I too took great care of it. Now what! It's past pre-order purchase date!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.