Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Had mine since day 1 and havent used them in 4 days so just checked and both my case and AirPods are reading 100% so everything is good

Same here. No issues. Just went on a 4-day trip to visit family. Didn't even use them, but threw them into my bag fully charged. Only lost about 8% from the case by the time I got back home.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
Was there a case redesign for the comment about the new case?

No, I believe the (poorly worded article) user received an entirely new set of AirPods.

I've had a pair this whole week being use on/off and really no shortage in battery. I keep the case on an iPhone dock as well. let it drain when need to, but have barely had to pay attention to battery life thus far.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Just more crap to worry about charging and losing, where that was never a problem before.

And replacing lengths of copper wire with toxic, energy sucking batteries (and more copper) is less or more ecologically conscientious?

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Had mine since day 1 and havent used them in 4 days so just checked and both my case and AirPods are reading 100% so everything is good
Not saying you're exaggerating but that's not possible. The batteries will drain some regardless of use. Especially over 4 days. Thinking about it, I guess I am saying you're exaggerating.

Excellent, as will be the case with most owners...

Even though they don't own, and will never own the product, it's just another day for the pro-whiners to feel important and empowered. Shocker.
That's not excellent, it's exaggerating for effect. Pushing a narrative contrary to what was reported. We all realize 1. People will have differing drain levels depending on use. 2. No product is 100% perfect, there will always be a percentage of defects. 3. Really reflects poorly on you to thumbs up and positively comment on an obvious stretch of facts. You're better than that.

Same here. No issues. Just went on a 4-day trip to visit family. Didn't even use them, but threw them into my bag fully charged. Only lost about 8% from the case by the time I got back home.
This is much more believable than the 4 day - 100% anecdote from Bazooka-joe.

Reactions: Naraxus

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Lots of battery issues in Apple products lately. I was extremely frustrated with my iPhone 7 issues that were only solved by replacing it. At least no explosions!

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
10% per day? When it's not used to charge the airpods? No battery technology should lose so much charge when dormant. What an abysmal failure of design and/or manufacturing quality control.

The Airpods have a 93 milliwatt hour battery—equivalent to a little over 1% of the charge capacity in an iPhone 7. (Source:iFixit) If my math is right, 10% drain on the Airpods is equal to approximately .10% drain of the iPhone. Yes, I know the iPhone does many more things, and keeps a radio active. Fact is, the battery is really tiny to begin with, and would charge this 10% back up in minutes.

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
No problems here. Rec'd mine on 12/19 and used them for a few hrs. Recharged case on dock.They have been sitting in case for a few days. Just checked 98% case 97% AirPods.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
Used mine for 5 hours yesterday without any charging. Checked today: Case is at 84%, and pods are fully charged. Seems about right to me.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Every product has a design flaw that Apple refuseds to acknowledge now. All to save a fraction of a millimeter.

Um, please think for just a second. If this was a design flaw, replacing the case couldn't fix the issue.

It's really weird how desperate some people are to convince themselves Apple products are too small.

Reactions: Kroo

andy.ringwood

Suspended
Nov 20, 2016
I feel no sympathy for anyone who bought the first batch of these. Looking at the track record of Apple with its products this year, this isn't any surprise.
That's alright then. I have one from the first batch and they are working perfectly!

My case drops like 5% maximum a night. They're charging them wrong.

Reactions: satcomer

andy.ringwood

Suspended
Nov 20, 2016
This is what happens when weak management without technology experience set priorities, deadlines, and assign resources. Running a company like Apple is more than a good supply chain and we seem to not be getting good products or even bad products on time. But I do like the fact that the CEO has time for celebrity interviews, magazine covers, political stands, coffee table books, etc. I'm sure his ego is feeling very good right now.
Making out like it's worse than it is.

A software update will fix this. Keep calm m9.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
That's not excellent, it's exaggerating for effect. Pushing a narrative contrary to what was reported. We all realize 1. People will have differing drain levels depending on use. 2. No product is 100% perfect, there will always be a percentage of defects. 3. Really reflects poorly on you to thumbs up and positively comment on an obvious stretch of facts. You're better than that.

No it was not. "Excellent" was offered in the context of "Nice" or "Happy to hear that" and that most owners will likely have a great experience - as evidenced from reports. Hardly a narrative to push.

Your points 1 & 2 are obvious and were likely put up as straw men as I never stated there are perfect products from Apple (or anyone else), or that battery drain rates will be the same for everyone - that's a hoot. Point 3 is condescending, and apparently intentionally so, as this is the second time you've said that. And that reflects poorly on you.

Reactions: Kroo and 44267547

LDN

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Thanks public and paying beta testers. Now my future AirPods will have all the issues resolved. Can't believe people still rush to buy 1st gen 1st batch Apple products.

Reactions: Fozziebear71

merkinmuffley

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2010
Try charging them using only clean (solar) power. Wrapping one of those brightly colored watch bands around the case while charging might fix this problem...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.