Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Thanks for the detailed photos. I really like the look of the pixelskin but the front lip not overlapping the screen is a deal breaker for me. Will take a look at the frequency or the NGP when it comes out.

SeeHole

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
Los Angeles
I posted my review on the Speck website and other customers seem to be agreeing with me in that their cases fit a little loose as well.

I've decided to return my case as I feel the problem is with the product's design rather than having received a defective case. :(

We have 4 cases and they are all loose. I don't get how they could have miscalculated the size that much. It does not seem like it will fall off, but we might return them anyway. Too bad. They make a good case. :rolleyes:

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Speck needs to fix the looseness of the Pixelskin HD or lose a lot of customers.

They've addressed & fixed Pixelskin HD issues in the past, so there is hope.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
As I've said before, my 2 PixelSkin HDs aren't loose at all, so it's not a mass manufacturing issue.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
I wonder if putting on a full-body skin (like from zagg or bestskinsever) and then putting on the HD would improve the fit? The skin can't be more than a milimeter. (I have the skin on my iphone 5 and am thinking about the pixelskin, as I had it for my iphone 4.)

blue-bear

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
#straya
I wonder if putting on a full-body skin (like from zagg or bestskinsever) and then putting on the HD would improve the fit? The skin can't be more than a milimeter. (I have the skin on my iphone 5 and am thinking about the pixelskin, as I had it for my iphone 4.)

i put a skinomi back on the iPhone 5 then the pixelskin HD over the top and it seems to make the power button misaligned slightly, i took this off and put a standard crystal back on and seems to work fine again.

so it seems to me the skins might be a little too thick

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010

At least for me, adding a SGP Full Boddy Skin made the fit better.

Anajaf27

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
I went to every store and I can't find the pixel skin hd..all I could find was the candy shell and flip..

richardsim7

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
I've just got a Pixelskin HD for iPhone 5, having owned one for my iPhone 4 for a few years.

I must admit, I too am disappointed, as it's just not the same, plus it does feel loose as others have mentioned

digitaldave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
I loved the Pixelskin HD on my iPhone 4, so wanted to try it on my 5. Received it yesterday, and loving it so far. Fit seems spot on - there's a very small amount of give in the sides if you press, but not much, and no more than on the iPhone 4 version. The buttons work well, as does the silent switch (although its not quite centred, but I'm not fussed about that). I like the fact that the lip doesn't come over the screen edge - it provides protection for the screen when laying screen down, but doesn't interfere with screen protectors (at least not the Media Devil one I'm using).

Overall, it's a great case, I'll probably keep this one for the life of the phone :).

Regarding the fit issue some people have, I honestly suspect it's a sample issue, not a design one. My Pixelskin fits fine, whereas others don't; on the other hand, I've read that the Incipio NGP fits great, but my one is really loose at the dock end. Fortunately Incipio have said they will replace it, hopefully Speck will do the same for those of you having fit issues with that case.

i1280

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
I read all the reviews about the Pixelskin HD so I decided to go ahead and email (*)Speck and this is their response:

Thanks for contacting Speck! We are aware of some fit issues with the new iPhone 5 but after our quality team has evaluated the cases, it appears to be a relatively isolated incident. In the event that you purchase the case from our website and it doesn't fit to your liking, you can either notify us for a warranty replacement, or you could send the case back within 30 days for a full refund.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to help!

(✱) Speck Customer Service

The "looseness" really worried me, but after their answer, I'm hoping there was just an initial batch that was "loose" and with being able to return it, I've decided to go ahead and order it...

----------

Does anyone know if they are "duel colored" like the website pictures or solid colored like the previous versions?

the-pixel-skin-hd-case-surrounds-the-back-and-sides-of-your-iphone-5-it-is-very-durable-and-offers-excellent-protection-from-drops.jpg

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I read all the reviews about the Pixelskin HD so I decided to go ahead and email (*)Speck and this is their response:

The "looseness" really worried me, but after their answer, I'm hoping there was just an initial batch that was "loose" and with being able to return it, I've decided to go ahead and order it...

----------

Does anyone know if they are "duel colored" like the website pictures or solid colored like the previous versions?

That's a shadow. It's a single solid color. I have that case

MiamiBourne

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009

I just got this case from Amazon and it fits nice and tight for me. What's up with the indent on the bottom of the lighting connector? Mine has this as well and it doesn't seem like this should seem normal. I emailed Speck but I'm not sure they what they will say since I bought mine from Amazon. I saw pictures in this thread earlier of the red case and that doesn't have the same issue.

Thanks

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Cross-post from here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16275569#post16275569

I received my Switcheasy Tones case in Black/Grey two days ago.

It is exactly what I was hoping it would be: simple, low profile, convincingly protective, provides good grip but also easy to take in and out of my pocket, and, most importantly, the buttons are extremely easy to press! Since the Switcheasy Tones is made of two materials (hard plastic for much of the back and sides, softer rubberized plastic for some of the sides and the top/bottom), it provides strong protection and ease of use.

I had a Speck Pixelskin HD for my iPhone 4 for two years. I liked the low-profile, slim, protective nature of that case. But what I didn't like is that I always had to press the volume or lock buttons extremely hard through the case to get them to work. Not the case for the Switcheasy Tones. The softer material over the buttons make them very easy to press. You still feel the "click" with your finger almost as well as not having a case on at all. MUCH better than the Speck case was (and I still think the Speck case was a good case for the iPhone 4. I've heard that the iPhone5 version has fit problems.).

Also, the softer material on the edges makes it easier than the Speck Pixelskin HD to remove the case. (Agree with the above poster: start peeling from the bottom or top, not the sides, and you won't have a problem.)

The hard plastic on the back provides rigid support for the main body of the phone (I'd imagine this may help reduce likelihood of the phone bending or the screen cracking as a result of a bend.) And because the hard plastic is more "slick" than the rubberized sides, it allows the phone to slide easily in and out of my jeans pocket.

The "bezel" of the case IS raised above the screen's surface, but only slightly. So you can put it face down on a very flat surface and the screen won't touch that surface. But as I recall the Speck's raised bezel was raised a bit higher. So to protect your screen from scratching I'd still recommend using a screen protector. (I use a BSE screen protector which I had before this case. But the case comes with a good peel-on screen protector, so need to buy a separate one.)

I can strongly recommend it to others who like minimalist cases that still protect the front, sides, top, bottom, and back of the phone, while maintaining ease of use.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Just ordered from Amazon two of the Pixelskin HD cases for my iPhone 5, the grey and the red. I have really loved this case in the past and if there are fitting issues, I'll just contact Speck. But it's worth the risk.

Cosmos01

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
Has anyone received this case directly from Speck in the last few weeks? I heard they may have fixed the fitment issues. Hopefully someone can confirm if this is true or not.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011

I only opened the red case and it fits perfectly. It looks fantastic on the black iPhone 5 so that is what I'm going to go with.

I've offered the grey case to a friend of mine so I'll keep it sealed up for now. If he declines, I'll open it up and test it out as well.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Another thing I noticed is that the camera/flash cutout is a lot smaller than the iPhone 4/4S cases. Haven't noticed any flash issues with the few pics I've taken so far, but I though the larger cutout was mandatory.

I wanted to comment on this because I believe the larger cutout that was added to the cases after the 4S came out was completely unnecessary. I think it was just to make more money since the phone design had not changed from the 4 to the 4S. The case companies had to find a way to make some money during that year.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
How is the camera/flash hole in the case? I am worried that the small hole acts as a defuser like the original iPhone 4 case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.