Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Huh? I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here. The OS doesn't "handle" whether or not there is a physical keyboard. It doesn't "handle" whether the aspect ratio is 4x3 or HD.

If a developer wants to develop a game that requires a physical keyboard, he is fragmenting his user base. Especially since the layout of the different keyboards can vary.

If he provides artwork at a 4x3 ratio, it isn't going to look good at an HD ratio. And those aren't the only two choices.

My only point is that fragmentation is more of an issue on Android than iOS. That's it. I'm not saying it's difficult to overcome in most cases. I'm not saying that there is no fragmentation on iOS.

You have a slight case with the keyboard
But the ratio part again a good dev can leave that to the OS.
They have 2 choose for art work. Let limits by what ever direction runs out of room first and black bars appear out side of that range. Not a huge issue or have it just cut off the parts that go out side.
Not that hard and it does not ruin the artwork in having to stretch or swewed.
Example is play a video on your iPhone. You can zoom in so to speak to it fills the entire screen but it cuts the sides of it off. Or you have 2 black bars. Not that hard and again the OS handles its. Not the dev.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Wow, had no idea RIM sold more phones than iPhones this year. With all the marketing going on with Apple, you would think they are the ones totally dominating. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

FYI this is ranked by revenue

top5smartphone.jpg

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
And again, listen up LTD (why are you calling me Tallest Skil ?), that very same large percentage of users you're dragging into this like customizing their phones, as is evidenced by all the wallpaper threads, and all the different cases in different shapes/sizes/colors. Give them extra widgets to customize and I bet you'll see even more people "diddling" with their phones.

Ignore LTD. His responses are predictable and worthless.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Just put him on your ignore list, I think many of us have already done that, hence the lack of responses to his inane babble. :cool:

I was replying to rdowns. I called him LTD to counter-balance his calling me Tallest Skil.

I have had *LTD* on ignore for the longest time.

KeriJane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
ЧИКАГО!
Of course Android will be the dominant platform. Pretty hard not to be when you have 10 or more companies making products around the platform. I'm still not convinced that Google won't do something to screw it up.

As for choice, get real people, aside of the types of people who frequent tech boards, consumers couldn't care less about that nor are they probably even aware of it. I'd point to the surveys showing very high percentages of people who never even d/l apps.

+1.

All of these apps and stuff mean little to most people. Usually, people stop playing around with changing stuff after a few weeks. We get the wallpaper and ringtones we want, maybe an app or two and then stop messing around. Then they just use the stupid thing.

I'm glad of that, because they usually call me to help change stuff!

Of course some people continually play with their phones. Geeks usually do as well as some others.

I'm looking around for a new phone soon. I'm thinking Nokia or iPhone, only because I used to like Nokia and I like iOS.
But apps? Nah. I've got the iPad for that.

Oh, and +1 for everything LTD said too. As usual, LTD gets it right.

Have Fun,
Keri

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I'd not blame mainstream media. I'd say woz did say that but is now back peddling. Its not for the co-founder of apple to say android is going to beat them. He said something about liking the nexus a while ago and had to "clarify" his remarks. I think woz was being more honest and transparent in his first remarks, and being the team player with the second.

I was replying to rdowns. I called him LTD to counter-balance his calling me Tallest Skil.

I have had *LTD* on ignore for the longest time.
Gotcha, I missed that little bit of irony ;)

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
You have a slight case with the keyboard
But the ratio part again a good dev can leave that to the OS.
They have 2 choose for art work. Let limits by what ever direction runs out of room first and black bars appear out side of that range. Not a huge issue or have it just cut off the parts that go out side.
Not that hard and it does not ruin the artwork in having to stretch or swewed.
Example is play a video on your iPhone. You can zoom in so to speak to it fills the entire screen but it cuts the sides of it off. Or you have 2 black bars. Not that hard and again the OS handles its. Not the dev.

Again, I didn't say it was hard. It's just an issue that a developer may have to deal with. Black bars are fine on videos. Not so good on games or other apps. Some developers may want to optimize their artwork to fit the screen resolution and aspect ratio. With the iPhone, there are basically two resolutions with one aspect ratio to consider. With Android, there are more.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Again, I didn't say it was hard. It's just an issue that a developer may have to deal with. Black bars are fine on videos. Not so good on games or other apps. Some developers may want to optimize their artwork to fit the screen resolution and aspect ratio. With the iPhone, there are basically two resolutions with one aspect ratio to consider. With Android, there are more.

As soon as it is not hard and a minor issue to deal with (you already agree on that point) it becomes a non-issue. Everything else is pretty much you just trying to go bashing.
You already said it was not hard and agree there. I just pointed out that a good dev should already be using those tools so it is a non issue.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
This clarification is still pretty much the same as original article

Woz's findings:

* Android will be the dominant smartphone OS

* iPhone has better apps

* There are more features on Android than iOS

* User experience on iOS still trumps over Android OS.

* Nokia sucks

I'm an android fan, and I pretty much agree with his statements.

EDIT: ROFL, this thread was sent to the boonies. Obviously hidden on purpose :p

Last edited:

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I'd not blame mainstream media. I'd say woz did say that but is now back peddling.

From what I'm reading online, De Telegraaf isn't a very credible Dutch newspaper and there seems to be a bit of negative sentiment towards them with what they have done. In my eyes, it's up to De Telegraaf to come clean about what was actually said as they stand to gain far more from their reporting than Woz would have.

If they came forward with proof of what was quoted, then I'd be able to agree with you but until then, I can't!

It's be great if some Dutch MR users could chime in on this

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
As soon as it is not hard and a minor issue to deal with (you already agree on that point) it becomes a non-issue. Everything else is pretty much you just trying to go bashing.

You already said it was not hard and agree there.

Please stop putting words in my mouth. I never said whether it would be hard or not. It would depend on the goals of the developer. If they want to take advantage of every pixel on the display, they have a lot more displays to consider on Android.

I just pointed out that a good dev should already be using those tools so it is a non issue.

The tools can only deal with some of the issues. They don't change the hardware that is available.

I'm not sure that you even disagree with my original point. Would you agree that fragmentation is more of an issue for Android developers than iPhone developers? However small or large the difference may be.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Would you agree that fragmentation is more of an issue for Android developers than iPhone developers? However small or large the difference may be.

Too vague. It all depends on what the developer is trying to do.

For example, making an iOS newspaper app that looks good on both an iPhone and an iPad is harder than making an Android app that looks good on all Android phones.

Both iOS and Android developers might have to worry about memory, cpu speed, presence of real GPS, real 3G, gyro, front-facing camera and so forth. Or they might not, depending on the app.

Most apps are not that fancy; they don't require background processing. If they do, then the Android developer is in better shape because it's had it longer.

As for using the latest APIs (if they need to), only about 30-40% of either Android or iOS users are at the latest version.

But well over 70% of Android users are at 2.1 or above, whereas only about 30% of iOS users are at 4.0+.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Too vague. It all depends on what the developer is trying to do.

Of course it depends on the developers goals. I said that specifically. However, in general, an Android developer has more different hardware combinations to consider should he wish to take advantage of hardware features.

For example, making an iOS newspaper app that looks good on both an iPhone and an iPad is harder than making an Android app that looks good on all Android phones.

Why would you compare iPhone to iPad and then limit Android to phone only? Especially when my question was specifically limited to iPhones.

Both iOS and Android developers might have to worry about memory, cpu speed, presence of real GPS, real 3G, gyro, front-facing camera and so forth. Or they might not, depending on the app.

Yes, both OS developers have to consider different hardware. But Android apps need to consider MORE different combination and types of hardware. That was my only point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.