Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hinch87

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
So its almost been a month since this case was released and no one has got this case yet?

scelzifan

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
I don't think it has been released yet. Last I heard they were finishing up packaging and they were having trouble with anodizes but I would think it would be late this week or early next week.
So its almost been a month since this case was released and no one has got this case yet?

bighabeeb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
Some pics to tide you over

Some stuff that's coming, apparently...partially transparent diamondback cases...

dbtrans.jpg

dbtrans1.jpg

dbtrans2.jpg

dbtrans3.jpg

dbtrans4.jpg

dbtrans5.jpg

dbtrans6.jpg

scelzifan

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
Here is a picture I have that shows the back a little better. This came right off the mill and is not anodized yet but it will give you a better idea of what the back will look like. I have a few more but the finished product is almost here so I won't post anymore until I get the finished product.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    299.6 KB · Views: 91

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
Am I the only one who thinks these are ugly? I like the concept of an aluminum/hybrid case that wraps all the way around the phone, but I just can't get past the "geometry" style. Just my opinion...

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Am I the only one who thinks these are ugly? I like the concept of an aluminum/hybrid case that wraps all the way around the phone, but I just can't get past the "geometry" style. Just my opinion...

You're not the only one. In my opinion it's to complex. the geometric look destroys the simple clean lines of the phone. It does make the phone look heavy. the geometry form is completely arbitrary. Other cases have shapes that have clean openings for the functional parts of the phone or are ergonomically designed to feel good when you hold it. This case does none of that.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
You're not the only one. In my opinion it's to complex. the geometric look destroys the simple clean lines of the phone. It does make the phone look heavy. the geometry form is completely arbitrary. Other cases have shapes that have clean openings for the functional parts of the phone or are ergonomically designed to feel good when you hold it. This case does none of that.

I suggest you first try the case in person before talking down on it. There are many cases like you've just described, isn't it too boring already? I think so. It can turn out to be a great case or even a bad case.

polzii

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
It reminds me of the F117 nighthawk. To some folks that may not look like a normal aircraft, and some may even call it ugly, but to those take the time to become familiar with its capabilities and quirks, it is/was revolutionary.

At the very least, this case has me intrigued even with that (IMHO) exorbitant price tag.

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
I suggest you first try the case in person before talking down on it. There are many cases like you've just described, isn't it too boring already? I think so. It can turn out to be a great case or even a bad case.

I agree that one can't comment on the function of the case completely without trying it, but we can make a judgement on appearance from the pictures. Also, $200 is too large an investment to just "give it a try." For returns, Atomic charges a 20% restocking fee and you pay shipping both ways. That's like $60 out of pocket just to return the case if you don't like it. You could buy a Sabre for that...

gcarlucci

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
Herndon, VA

I disagree. The front lines (from the cad drawings) look very clean.. just an extension of the iphone's lines. The back cover is where the geometric shapes are and yeah it looks kinda busy but most people do something to the glass backs anyway with skins, covers, replacements, some wild, some tasteful, etc..

Ill post my snaps after i get mine this week.

Guillermo

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
$200? For a case?

A $40 restocking fee if I don't like it? That's how much a typical case costs. :eek:

I'd rather buy another iPhone 4 and use that as a case for my iPhone 4.

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA

Haha! Quote of the day - that's awesome.

Don't get me wrong, I think there are some cases that are worth it (I just ordered the Vapor Pro Spectra). I just meant the restocking fee and shipping charges are too big a risk to buy a case that looks ugly (to me) in pictures, on the premise that you need to see it in person to appreciate it fully.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Hmm I'm having mixed feelings about this piece. One of those things that I'd have to see in person ya know.

polzii

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
$200? For a case?

A $40 restocking fee if I don't like it? That's how much a typical case costs. :eek:

Maybe I misunderstood your post, but where can you can buy an iPhone 4 for $200? I would love to know where you get these. At AT&T or Verizon, you have to sign a contract, which subsidizes the iPhone to $200 for the 16GB version.

And Im not saying that this case is not super-expensive :p

Last edited:

gcarlucci

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
Herndon, VA
Maybe I misunderstood your post, but where can you can buy an iPhone 4 for $200? I would love to know where you get these. At AT&T or Verizon, you have to sign a contract, which subsidizes the iPhone to $200 for the 16GB version.

And Im not that this case is not super-expensive :p

I agree. I misunderstood his post too. I also didnt know you can put an iphone inside another iphone. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.