Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
The things you are talking about aren't there for most people. And, yes, look at what iOS 7.0 or 8.0 were like during beta and when they were released and compare them to their final versions. iOS 8.0 wasn't smoother even 1x compared to iOS 9 and had even more stability and performance issues in general, to imply otherwise is to ignore reality and many more complaints from practically endless 8.0 threads (same goes for 7.0).
1. The things I'm talking about are there in the 10+ iOS 9 phones that I've personally used. I've never held a single iOS 9 phone in my hand that had the same smoothness as iOS 8. I can also see lag in the supposed "smooth" iOS 9 videos posted on MR.
2. iOS 7 had smoothness issues only on the iPhone 4 (which had very outdated hardware at the time, which the 5s and 6 do not have).
3. iOS 8 didn't have smoothness issues. It had stability issues and had a lot of bugs, but it was super smooth from day 1.

I don't think anything less of you just because you're one of those people who can't see the difference between 60fps and 30fps, but that doesn't mean other people can't see the difference either.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
1. The things I'm talking about are there in the 10+ iOS 9 phones that I've personally used. I've never held a single iOS 9 phone in my hand that had the same smoothness as iOS 8. I can also see lag in the supposed "smooth" iOS 9 videos posted on MR.
2. iOS 7 had smoothness issues only on the iPhone 4 (which had very outdated hardware at the time, which the 5s and 6 do not have).
3. iOS 8 didn't have smoothness issues. It had stability issues and had a lot of bugs, but it was super smooth from day 1.

I don't think anything less of you just because you're one of those people who can't see the difference between 60fps and 30fps, but that doesn't mean other people can't see the difference either.
Again plenty of threads from iOS 7.0 and 8.0 days would disagree with there not being issues with lag or animation or smoothness.

As for seeing a few frame drops here and there, that was already addressed in an earlier reply at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/they-should-let-us-disable-metal.1926638/page-9#post-22068607 and a few that followed it. And if that is the comparison to what things were like with iOS 8.0 and 7.0 then something is certainly off here since those had more than just some frame drops as far as lag and delays went, and way more people experienced and complained about them.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Again plenty of threads from iOS 7.0 and 8.0 days would disagree with there not being issues with lag or animation or smoothness.

As for seeing frame differences, that was already addressed in an earlier reply that I'll link to in a moment.
With iOS 7 you may be right, but that's not a fair comparison because there was no baseline due to the major UI overhaul.

Regarding iOS 8, it had a lot of stability issues but once everything was stable, the animations were smooth as silk. I held an iPhone 5 running 8.1.1 only yesterday and it was so much smoother than my 9.1 beta 4 iPhone 6.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
With iOS 7 you may be right, but that's not a fair comparison because there was no baseline due to the major UI overhaul.

Regarding iOS 8, it had a lot of stability issues but once everything was stable, the animations were smooth as silk. I held an iPhone 5 running 8.1.1 only yesterday and it was so much smoother than my 9.1 beta 4 iPhone 6.
Perhaps for you, but not various other people. You might not have noticed those issues but others have in many discussions in those days. And that's not factoring in that we are comparing an X.1.1 release to X.0 or to X.1 betas, it's still not an apples to apples comparison even it might seem sort of close.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Your blind faith in Apple is the problem. iOS 9 was announced 4 months ago. Lag is still there. App launch delay is still there. Stutters are still there. You actually think in 4 months from now everything will be fine and dandy?

It's not blind faith or is it a problem. The problem is you being dissatisfied with the performance of the flashy eye candy that has no real impact on the OS itself. iOS 9 performs most things faster than iOS 8, minus the animations. Animations that can be turned mostly off if they bother you so badly.

See, now you've exposed your true self. Apparently you don't buy any of the claims of the countless of people who complain about their lagfest experience with iOS 9. We're not complaining because we want to complain, we're complaining because iOS 9 is worse than iOS 8 (not necessarily 8.4.1, also 8.0 was 10x smoother than 9.0). If iOS 10 is better in all aspects than iOS 9 I'll be the first one to praise the release.

I'm not saying it doesn't have issues with animations. iOS 9 that is currently installed on my iPhone 6 has it quite often. The previous install of iOS 9 (before I had to do a few restores and fresh installs to trouble shoot and fix a iCloud Music Library issue) ran loads better and near flawless. I would try a few more install and restores in an attempt to get back how it ran before, but I'm worried the Music Library will break again if I tried.

And countless people? LOL...10-15 people on MacRumours does not make "countless" (countless in the amount of seperate threads you're all creating and/or posting in over and over though, beating a dead horse.) There are tens of millions of people running iOS 9 already, the very few vocal on the internet are such a minuscule number compared to total users.

I wouldn't say iOS 8 was 10x smoother either. There was just about a full year of constant complaints about big stutter and frame drops in the Weather app and in other areas too. The Weather app being the "flavour of the year" last year just like CC and the App Switcher being the "flavour of the year" this time around. It never changes except the area of obsession. It wasn't until 8.4.1 and 9.0 release that people started to really praising iOS 8 and shifted their hatred onto iOS 9 animations.

Oh and the "we're not complaining because we want to". The person I replied to literally said he couldn't wait to complain about iOS 10. So yeah some of you are.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
It's not blind faith or is it a problem. The problem is you being dissatisfied with the performance of the flashy eye candy that has no real impact on the OS itself. iOS 9 performs most things faster than iOS 8, minus the animations. Animations that can be turned mostly off if they bother you so badly.

I'm not saying it doesn't have issues with animations. iOS 9 that is currently installed on my iPhone 6 has it quite often. The previous install of iOS 9 (before I had to do a few restores and fresh installs to trouble shoot and fix a iCloud Music Library issue) ran loads better and near flawless. I would try a few more install and restores in an attempt to get back how it ran before, but I'm worried the Music Library will break again if I tried.

And countless people? LOL...10-15 people on MacRumours does not make "countless" (countless in the amount of seperate threads you're all creating and/or posting in over and over though, beating a dead horse.) There are tens of millions of people running iOS 9 already, the very few vocal on the internet are such a minuscule number compared to total users.

I wouldn't say iOS 8 was 10x smoother either. There was just about a full year of constant complaints about big stutter and frame drops in the Weather app and in other areas too. The Weather app being the "flavour of the year" last year just like CC and the App Switcher being the "flavour of the year" this time around. It never changes except the area of obsession. It wasn't until 8.4.1 and 9.0 release that people started to really praising iOS 8 and shifted their hatred onto iOS 9 animations.

Oh and the "we're not complaining because we want to". The person I replied to literally said he couldn't wait to complain about iOS 10. So yeah some of you are.
LOL.You really are misguided if you think iOS 9 is in any way faster than 8 discounting the animations .Scientific benchmarks prove that all apps take longer to open on 9 than in 8

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
LOL.You really are misguided if you think iOS 9 is in any way faster than 8 discounting the animations .Scientific benchmarks prove that all apps take longer to open on 9 than in 8

Key words you seemed to have ignored. "Most things". Safari is one of the major things (even without using a content blocker.) and even app launches are near instant after the tap in 9.1 beta 4.

Also what scientific benchmarks? Videos of some random person pressing on two different phones at only roughly the same time?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Key words you seemed to have ignored. "Most things". Safari is one of the major things (even without using a content blocker.) and even app launches are near instant after the tap in 9.1 beta 4.

Also what scientific benchmarks? Videos of some random person pressing on two different phones at only roughly the same time?
ReAd the Ars Technica analysis.Almost all apps take longer to load on iOS 9 and Geekbench scores are lower in 9 than in 8

philipyoungg

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2015
Jakarta Capital Region

You don't need to reply / argue with @lagwagon anymore. I've followed this thread for several days, and this guy didn't offer anything constructive at all.

@lagwagon
Animation is eye candy? I do agree.

But it doesn't mean everybody should agree with your point of view that "it doesn't matter". It matters for me and several user here. We come here not to whine, but to discuss about the problem (that the whole purpose of this forum, right?)

The thing is, this "lag" or "glitch" (or whatever the word in your controlled vocabulary is) took a hit on user experience. Anyone with iPhone 6 have the right to be disappointed with iOS 9. It's only "one year old" device, and it is unacceptable.

FYI, I just converted to Apple ecosystem last year. I use MBA 2013 base model, iPhone 4s (recently changed to 5s) and iPad 3 (changed to iPad Air). I bought 5s and air, because I really think iOS 9 feature are worth the "upgrade". What make me really disappointed is, iPad Air performance sucks a lot. It doesn't feel like upgrade at all. iPad 3 on iOS 8 is smoother than iPad Air on iOS 9 (animation wise). It's two generation product gap, with only one OS gap. Why the hell the performance still sucks? iPhone 5s performance is faster than my 4s, but still the "lag" makes me question if it's worth the upgrade.

I considered moving back to Windows and Android ecosystem because of this. Too bad, the program that I need is mac exclusive, so moving back is not an option. I also tried move to Nexus 5 (believe me, it's super smooth), but I miss the integration with Mac (text replacement, Add reminder with Siri, etc).

I guess the solution is just to wait for Apple software upgrade—blindly hoping they will fix this problem. I would be happy if Apple release a statement they are aware of this issue (telling us it's a metal problem, or 64 bit device problem, or whatever else it is). But I guess this company is too proud to acknowledge something is wrong with how they handle iOS.

Well, sigh.

Reactions: Radon87000

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You don't need to reply / argue with @lagwagon anymore. I've followed this thread for several days, and this guy didn't offer anything constructive at all.

@lagwagon
Animation is eye candy? I do agree.

But it doesn't mean everybody should agree with your point of view that "it doesn't matter". It matters for me and several user here. We come here not to whine, but to discuss about the problem (that the whole purpose of this forum, right?)

The thing is, this "lag" or "glitch" (or whatever the word in your controlled vocabulary is) took a hit on user experience. Anyone with iPhone 6 have the right to be disappointed with iOS 9. It's only "one year old" device, and it is unacceptable.

FYI, I just converted to Apple ecosystem last year. I use MBA 2013 base model, iPhone 4s (recently changed to 5s) and iPad 3 (changed to iPad Air). I bought 5s and air, because I really think iOS 9 feature are worth the "upgrade". What make me really disappointed is, iPad Air performance sucks a lot. It doesn't feel like upgrade at all. iPad 3 on iOS 8 is smoother than iPad Air on iOS 9 (animation wise). It's two generation product gap, with only one OS gap. Why the hell the performance still sucks? iPhone 5s performance is faster than my 4s, but still the "lag" makes me question if it's worth the upgrade.

I considered moving back to Windows and Android ecosystem because of this. Too bad, the program that I need is mac exclusive, so moving back is not an option. I also tried move to Nexus 5 (believe me, it's super smooth), but I miss the integration with Mac (text replacement, Add reminder with Siri, etc).

I guess the solution is just to wait for Apple software upgrade—blindly hoping they will fix this problem. I would be happy if Apple release a statement they are aware of this issue (telling us it's a metal problem, or 64 bit device problem, or whatever else it is). But I guess this company is too proud to acknowledge something is wrong with how they handle iOS.

Well, sigh.
Two iPad 2, two 5s, one i6 and one i6s and not seeing anything remotely close to some of issues people are complaining about. Did notice some stutter here and there, no worse than 8.4.1. The phones are far from a laggy, sputtery mess. The tweaked JavaScript engine in safari is the best part of iOS 9.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Two iPad 2, two 5s, one i6 and one i6s and not seeing anything remotely close to some of issues people are complaining about. Did notice some stutter here and there, no worse than 8.4.1. The phones are far from a laggy, sputtery mess. The tweaked JavaScript engine in safari is the best part of iOS 9.
Type a word in spotlight search and let the search results pop up.Then in that same screen swipe up the Control Centre.The low fps animation reminds me of my Old Android

Don't even get me started on the hitches when you type a word in the search switch to the home screen and then after 5 mins again switch to it

philipyoungg

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2015
Jakarta Capital Region

Couldn't say about iPad 2, 6, and 6s—as I don't have any of them at the moment.

My 5s on iOS 9 now, and my sister have it on iOS 8.4.1. It's generally slower. Touch ID sometimes fast, sometimes slow. Spotlight is slower (I often search web from it).

Try to write anything with more than one sentence. The "search web, App Store, and maps" often took very long time to show (2/3 second). I believe you could replicate this issue.

I agree with you though, it's slower—but still acceptable (on 5s). You should see iPad Air on iOS 9. You'll understand how slow it is. What makes me confused is there's little to none people complaining about this.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Couldn't say about iPad 2, 6, and 6s—as I don't have any of them at the moment.

My 5s on iOS 9 now, and my sister have it on iOS 8.4.1. It's generally slower. Touch ID sometimes fast, sometimes slow. Spotlight is slower (I often search web from it).

Try to write anything with more than one sentence. The "search web, App Store, and maps" often took very long time to show (2/3 second). I believe you could replicate this issue.

I agree with you though, it's slower—but still acceptable (on 5s). You should see iPad Air on iOS 9. You'll understand how slow it is. What makes me confused is there's little to none people complaining about this.
I'm not saying iOS 9 is perfect, as iOS 8.4.1 certainly wasn't, but there is a lot of hyperbole and people are making blanket statements without mentioning the device. My extremely picky son finds no practical difference between the two versions on his iPhone 6. I don't find any practical difference in the 5s I just gave to my wife.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
The reason why we're complaining about this "eye candy" is because it's directly related to the user experience. Whenever I use my phone now, that's all I see. It ruins the user experience. It feels like my phone (that used to be fast and responsive) suddenly got downgraded to a piece of crap. It's no longer fun to use anymore because the lag really distracts from anything else on the device.

On iOS 8 however... sure, there were bugs but you didn't ALWAYS run into them. In iOS 9, the whole OS is a performance bug that you see every single time you use it. It ruins the joy I used to have when using my iPhone (especially since this used to be a very fast phone).

However, how would Apple expect to sell me a new iPhone if my iPhone 6 was just as fast as a 6s?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Took a short clip.Can you see the lag

Had to watch a few times; your finger started swiping up at the home button but as soon as your finger hit the screen it looked to me the control center popped up fairly fast. How many milliseconds it took I guess is what the debate is all about and what is the cutoff where it's labeled lag.:eek: I wouldn't label that as an "extreme" example of what makes iOS laggy in iOS 9

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The reason why we're complaining about this "eye candy" is because it's directly related to the user experience. Whenever I use my phone now, that's all I see. It ruins the user experience. It feels like my phone (that used to be fast and responsive) suddenly got downgraded to a piece of crap. It's no longer fun to use anymore because the lag really distracts from anything else on the device.

On iOS 8 however... sure, there were bugs but you didn't ALWAYS run into them. In iOS 9, the whole OS is a performance bug that you see every single time you use it. It ruins the joy I used to have when using my iPhone (especially since this used to be a very fast phone).

However, how would Apple expect to sell me a new iPhone if my iPhone 6 was just as fast as a 6s?
That's a blanket statement and one that has been for disagreement across multiple threads.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Had to watch a few times; your finger started swiping up at the home button but as soon as your finger hit the screen it looked to me the control center popped up fairly fast. How many milliseconds it took I guess is what the debate is all about and what is the cutoff where it's labeled lag.:eek: I wouldn't label that as an "extreme" example of what makes iOS laggy in iOS 9
It takes longer than it took in 8 and why is not much visible in the video is that the way it pops up is not smooth.If I turn on the reduce transparency it's a silky smooth 60 fps like it was in 8

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
It takes longer than it took in 8 and why is not much visible in the video is that the way it pops up is not smooth.If I turn on the reduce transparency it's a silky smooth 60 fps like it was in 8
I see the lag easily. Looks like it's dropping tons of frames. Not OK for something that worked fine on iOS 8. How can anyone not see that frame drop?

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Exactly, it popped up very fast, skipping a lot of frames, rendering a very non-smooth image. Lag and choppiness are different things.

Reactions: philipyoungg

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
The dropped frames are youtube and this is the use case on why iOS is a steaming pile of smelly you know what from stem to stern?
Right... YouTube made the animation frame rate drop while keeping the rest of the video at locked 30 fps. Nice diagnosis there!

philipyoungg

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2015
Jakarta Capital Region

I understand and respect your opinion that the lag is almost non-existent to you; but different people have different expectation. The video clearly gives fact (not opinion) that it stutters (or lag, depending on the word you use).

So... I don't understand what's the point of attacking their statement. All of us (including you) already agree that iOS 9 have stutters (though everybody have different perception whether it's extreme, or it's not.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.