Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The reason why we're complaining about this "eye candy" is because it's directly related to the user experience. Whenever I use my phone now, that's all I see. It ruins the user experience. It feels like my phone (that used to be fast and responsive) suddenly got downgraded to a piece of crap. It's no longer fun to use anymore because the lag really distracts from anything else on the device.

On iOS 8 however... sure, there were bugs but you didn't ALWAYS run into them. In iOS 9, the whole OS is a performance bug that you see every single time you use it. It ruins the joy I used to have when using my iPhone (especially since this used to be a very fast phone).

However, how would Apple expect to sell me a new iPhone if my iPhone 6 was just as fast as a 6s?
iOS 8.0 had plenty of lag issues, certainly more and more noticeable by more people than what is there with iOS 9.0.

I understand and respect your opinion that the lag is almost non-existent to you; but different people have different expectation. The video clearly gives fact (not opinion) that it stutters (or lag, depending on the word you use).

So... I don't understand what's the point of attacking their statement. All of us (including you) already agree that iOS 9 have stutters (though everybody have different perception whether it's extreme, or it's not.)
When it comes to that minor lag, perception that it's extreme isn't one that is a realistic one. Perhaps someone might be bothered by it extremely, but that doesn't make it extreme. Just because someone might be bothered by a perfectly normal but slightly untidy room doesn't make that room filthy and discussing, yet that those are the type of conclusions being thrown around.

Last edited by a moderator:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I understand and respect your opinion that the lag is almost non-existent to you; but different people have different expectation. The video clearly gives fact (not opinion) that it stutters (or lag, depending on the word you use).

So... I don't understand what's the point of attacking their statement. All of us (including you) already agree that iOS 9 have stutters (though everybody have different perception whether it's extreme, or it's not.)
It's my opinion that viewing an uploaded video through youtube contributed to perception of dropped frames without having to "attack" someone's point of view as you just "attacked" my point of view. I did agree iOS 9 stutters and they also agreed iOS 8.4.1 stutters and while I appreciate the video it does not really prove the point in my mind; the hyperbole in your post aside.

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
Unfortunately my iPhone 5C is more smooth than my 6s on iOS9 which is unacceptable. Heck I can't believe app switcher runs 60 FPS on the 5C while it drops to 20 FPS on my 6s. iOS9 stuttering is like android which is NOT acceptable since one of the main points of switching to iOS is the lag free experience.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
It's my opinion that viewing an uploaded video through youtube contributed to perception of dropped frames without having to "attack" someone's point of view as you just "attacked" my point of view. I did agree iOS 9 stutters and they also agreed iOS 8.4.1 stutters and while I appreciate the video it does not really prove the point in my mind; the hyperbole in your post aside.
If anything, the YouTube video actually hides the issue. The video is 30fps, iOS can render up to 60fps. A big drop in framerate from 60fps to 25fps looks like a very small framedrop (only 5fps) on YouTube. If you see recorded stutter on YouTube, it's probably worse in real life.

YouTube supports 60fps though, so it's more useful if people start filming and uploading 60fps videos.

If you want to quickly demonstrate the effect of 30fps vs 60fps for yourself: open the camera app and switch from slow-mo to video. The slow-mo viewfinder is 60fps, the video viewfinder is much lower fps depending on the lighting conditions.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If anything, the YouTube video actually hides the issue. The video is 30fps, iOS can render up to 60fps. A big drop in framerate from 60fps to 25fps looks like a very small framedrop (only 5fps) on YouTube. If you see recorded stutter on YouTube, it's probably worse in real life.

YouTube supports 60fps though, so it's more useful if people start filming and uploading 60fps videos.
You may be right but in my mind only half the frame rate is being shown contributing to jerkiness. If you showed the video at 10fps it would be a world of difference.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
You may be right but in my mind only half the frame rate is being shown contributing to jerkiness. If you showed the video at 10fps it would be a world of difference.
You're right in the sense that half the frame rate makes everything look jerky. However, smooth animations will also start to look jerky, which makes the real-life jerky animations and the recorded smooth animations almost all look the same. In a 30fps video, the contrast between smooth animations and jerky animations simply isn't there.

philipyoungg

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2015
Jakarta Capital Region

Yes, I'm sorry for attacking you on my previous post. I just get slightly mad because we all already agree that iOS 9 have stutters, but the conversation is not constructive and going nowhere. Anyway, do you see the lag from the video? Take a closer look on the spotlight delay.

If you want to quickly demonstrate the effect of 30fps vs 60fps for yourself: open the camera app and switch from slow-mo to video. The slow-mo viewfinder is 60fps, the video viewfinder is much lower fps depending on the lighting conditions.

Hello Merike, It's true. The lag on the video can't justify the real thing. It actually look much smoother on the video compared to real life. But I believe everyone will notice the spotlight lag.

By the way, can ip5s record 60fps? I never took a video with phone, so I don't understand it at all. I actually want to record it with DSLR, but it took a long time to set up everything and I don't know if it even support 60fps (Canon 100D).

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
iOS 8.0 had plenty of lag issues, certainly more and more noticeable by more people than what is there with iOS 9.0.

People forget how many issues the first iOS 8 release had. In my opinion, iOS 9 is ahead of iOS 8 at same point in the update process.

Reactions: duffman9000

philipyoungg

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2015
Jakarta Capital Region

Anyway, I've recorded the video again with 60fps (I'm not sure. CMIIW). I use slow-mo video from 5S, but only use the effect on last second. It now shows the issue closer to real life (I think). Will update this post in few minutes.

Last edited:

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
The things you are talking about aren't there for most people. And, yes, look at what iOS 7.0 or 8.0 were like during beta and when they were released and compare them to their final versions. iOS 8.0 wasn't smoother even 1x compared to iOS 9 and had even more stability and performance issues in general, to imply otherwise is to ignore reality and many more complaints from practically endless 8.0 threads (same goes for 7.0).
No question that iOS 8 on iP6 was a mess. I am more speaking of issues with things not working correctly not how "smooth" it was. Things like locking up in landscape, videos hanging, safari issues, the list goes on. I for one had much rather things work as they should. So far with iOS 9 (at least 9.1) everything pretty much works as it should other than a few minor visual annoyances. As for smoothness, I barely see any difference with a side by side comparison with iP6 on 8.4.1 (wifes) and iP6 on 9.1 (mine) and must be side by side looking for it to even notice the slight milliseconds difference in opening apps and such. Certainly not the huge difference some here are advocating.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Holy hell I thought my Air 2 was bad but this is beyond unacceptable.Major LOL at people trying to justify this as YouTube lag.How blind can you get with Apple
Whatever is there totally makes the OS and the device unusable. The horror. Talk about blowing things out of proportion.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Holy hell I thought my Air 2 was bad but this is beyond unacceptable.Major LOL at people trying to justify this as YouTube lag.How blind can you get with Apple
I don't have an iPad Air, I have an iPad 2.
omg, throw the device out. Seriously the quality of the video is that it doesn't really show all that much. While I don't doubt you see the artifacts clearly not there for everyone or to the same degree.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Whatever is there totally makes the OS and the device unusable. The horror. Talk about blowing things out of proportion.

iOS 9 was advertised as being more refined with better performance and frame rates due to "Metal", but instead, we got worse performance and worse frame rates due to "Metal".

Is the device un-usable? No. Did we get what we were told? No again. Does it take some of the joy out of using the device? Absolutely.

Looks are very important for the overall impression of the OS. I mean, jeeze, it's only the first thing you see whenever you look at your phone.

The first thing I see is lag. Every day. Lag lag lag.

Reactions: haulis

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The Air 2 costed me $700 as it would have for someone a first gen Air and the fact that the Air 1 stutters at just basic things is unacceptable.Is the device unusable?Hell no.But then is the $300 Nexus 9 unusable?No.So not sure why you keep bringing that up.The reason we pay the premium for iOS is the fluidity,smoothness and the magical experience and these things detract from the user experience

I also have a 2013 Nexus 7 here on Android Marshmallow and I bought it for 250 bucks and the funny thing is that if I posted a video of it and compared it with the Air 1 video above,it aged miles better.Not saying its smooth but not as bad as that video

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The Air 2 costed me $700 as it would have for someone a first gen Air and the fact that the Air 1 stutters at just basic things is unacceptable.Is the device unusable?Hell no.But then is the $300 Nexus 9 unusable?No.So not sure why you keep bringing that up.The reason we pay the premium for iOS is the fluidity,smoothness and the magical experience and these things detract from the user experience

I also have a 2013 Nexus 7 here on Android Marshmallow and I bought it for 250 bucks and the funny thing is that if I posted a video of it and compared it with the Air 1 video above,it aged miles better.Not saying its smooth but not as bad as that video
Because a number of people are continuously implying that it is horrific and unusable.
iOS 9 was advertised as being more refined with better performance and frame rates due to "Metal", but instead, we got worse performance and worse frame rates due to "Metal".

Is the device un-usable? No. Did we get what we were told? No again. Does it take some of the joy out of using the device? Absolutely.

Looks are very important for the overall impression of the OS. I mean, jeeze, it's only the first thing you see whenever you look at your phone.

The first thing I see is lag. Every day. Lag lag lag.
And that is a much more realistic take on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.