Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
"And we'd like intellectual property reform to try to stop the people suing when they don't do anything as a company."

Nice to see Tim is out to kill patent trolls.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I never understood why you have to be on or the other, liberal or conservative...can't you believe in ideals in both ideologies?

Because Limbaugh pushed the idiotic totalitarian idea that a moderate republican is just a liberal democrat in denial.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
When I saw the RNC (at Trump's acceptance speech) stand and cheer for his promise to protect the LGBT community, I knew something was shifting on the Right, and for the better. This moment was cemented when Trump went off script and said that it was special for him to hear THIS crowd cheering for what he just said. That moment got about zero play with the liberal media because it doesn't support their gloom and doom narrative, which it sounds like you swallow wholesale.

I'm not saying there won't be setbacks and yes, Pence has some old-fashioned views on homosexuality for sure, but nobody is going to force electroshock therapy on gays and the new commander in chief is fairly tolerant on this issue. Is that so hard to accept?
But with the way Mr Trump flips like a fish on deck, you can't be sure if he believed, believes, or no longer really believes that... Ideologically he swings both ways to try to capture both sides with the idea of "the thing he said that I agree with, is what he really meant, regardless of saying the opposite because he was forced to say that although he didn't mean it."

Reactions: unobtainium

morcutt11

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2015
USA
*failed businessman with multiple bankruptcies and lawsuits for non-payment under his belt.

The American people are now Trump's "shareholders" and we are all screwed, just like the contractors and shareholders he has worked with in the past. Trump is in it for Trump.
I know that people on the left like to keep putting this narrative forward, but Trump has a controlling interest in over 500 business with over 500 real estate holdings and a net worth around $4 billion. So, he may not be the most successful business man ever, but I think it would be a stretch to say that he's a failed businessman.

budselectjr

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Minnesota
Yeah, it's Mike Pence and most of the new (evangelical Christian) administration who care if you're gay, then you might get electrocuted straight. At the very least you'll be subject to removal of anti-discrimination legislation, or subject to new discriminatory legislation.

He's actually correct. Pence does support things like conversion therapy even though it's total quackery.

Actually it just means he supported the ending of funding for programs that encouraged unsafe sexual behavior that leads to an increase in the risk for HIV infection. Changing peoples behavior to use things like condoms.

Continue to think it's some sort of electro therapy though like a bunch of idiots though.

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
He publicly said Hillary would make a "Great President".

Do you honestly believe anything he says?
I don't believe anything any of them say. Hillary was against gay marriage before she was for it. So was Obama. Obama also said Hillary was unfit to be President and just this year she's the only one qualified?

The only thing I have hop for with Trump is that he is not a politician. He doesn't have to worry about getting reelected, worry about keeping political friends, etc. He's 70 now - by the time he gets out at 74 he'l probably do nothing in politics again.

Reactions: ibookg409

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Like it or not Donald Trump is the next president, and to his credit invited the industry to a forum to hear their views. What is there to lose in engaging with the duly-elected leader of the US? Apple stands to benefit from some of Trump's tax proposals, and if Tim Cook can persuade Trump to soften his stance on H1-B visas in order to get bipartisan support for tax cuts (to use but one example) why not?

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I know that people on the left like to keep putting this narrative forward, but Trump has a controlling interest in over 500 business with over 500 real estate holdings and a net worth around $4 billion. So, he may not be the most successful business man ever, but I think it would be a stretch to say that he's a failed businessman.
Considering that he still hasn't released his tax info, it's kind of hard to assess. Also, billion$ losses in a single year kind of speak for themselves.

Pootmatoot

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2014
I'm no fan of Cook's leadership, but he's in an impossible position. Yes, he was being used as a prop by a man who is antithetical to all of Apple's declared beliefs. But he's now President-Elect, and therefore you must.

I suspect there will be many, many opportunities where this Administration forces Silicone Valley to collectively resist.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Tim Cook is right.
The left is practically showing their true skins. Simply browse social media and you see left leaning posters posting bigoted and hate speech, even against their own neighbors and other states. They are literally becoming what they claim they were against.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Considering that he still hasn't released his tax info, it's kind of hard to assess. Also, billion$ losses in a single year kind of speak for themselves.
As does $4 billion of net worth. How many billion are you worth? Or your guy Obama or your gal Hillary? Or Bernie? I mean since you are throwing it out there how he is such a "failed" business man just wondering what number means you have not failed in business?

On topic though it would make since for Cook to talk/work with Trump and see about getting some tax breaks for Apple and bringing back some lost $$ and jobs to the US.

Reactions: JeffyTheQuik

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
As does $4 billion of net worth. How many billion are you worth?
And, of course that's all that matters isn't it?

If the criteria for a good leader is wealth, why did we settle for this pauper? he's way behind Warren Buffet and Bill Gates and a few hundred others, and some of them may even have a soul.

Last edited:

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Yes, because although he supported Hillary, she lost, while you may disagree with President-Elect Trump, he will be the President in 32 days, and for at least four years after that. It makes sense for Mr. Cook to meet with the President-Elect while he can (not because he won't be able to after the inauguration, but Mr. Trump's schedule may be busier), and either choose to fight tooth and nail against him, or work on the 97%* of things they agree on, and not stir anger on the things they don't.

*Believe it or not, we all probably agree on about 97% of the important things, and how to do those things are where most of us disagree.

Reactions: sbailey4

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
You know, Tim’s approach on this is the right thing to do. He may not be good at giving us new Macs, but he is very smart in this area. Good on him.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Cute story bro. Except Trump (the guy in charge) has publicly said he doesn't care if you are gay or strait as long as you do good job. http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-bl...lgbt-community-donald-trump-is-not-your-enemy
He's not the guy in charge. He's the President (-elect).

He has certain powers, and how he uses them does affect LGBT rights and other civil rights, as well as environmental policy, space policy, energy policy, immigration policy, etc. So far, the appointments he has made are not encouraging. The appointments he has promised to make to the Supreme Court are not encouraging.

You say he doesn't care, and that is terrifying, if he won't stand in the way of efforts by his carelessly chosen team or by the Republican-controlled Congress to strip away the rights of Americans he has publicly said he doesn't care about.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
Really? A petition to remove Tim Cook? That's like trying to get the electors to not vote for the election winner, or the news clowns constantly posting the tally of the popular vote (which we don't count when deciding who is president) and tearing down the new elected president just because they're not happy.

Tim Cook is not only managing one the world's largest, most interesting, and well run companies, but he's also managing one of the pioneers of production, quality products, technology, design, and green responsibility. To tear him down because of some USB ports or delayed release of a product or delayed release of an upgrade in one of their product lines without knowing the full story behind each of those, (or even if we DO know the whole story in an instance or two) is like dismissing a candidate and everything they can and will do just because we don't like his hair, or stance on a specific issue, or other emotional reaction to something specific.

I wish for USB ports on my MBPro as much as the next guy, I wish for a 17 inch laptop which they aren't going to make because it doesn't make financial sense, and I wish for a handful of other things too. But face it, Tim Cook is a rockstar, maybe not perfect, but as close as is possible in a situation like this. A petition to remove him just shows that people aren't real problemsolvers by nature, that they will be quicker to yell than to consider the details, and even though Tim Cook doesn't say it publicly, Trump is the only candidate that is really taking important requests of Apple seriously, and would change rules to favor Apple regardless of how it might look politically, because they are an American company, not because they contribute money to some foundation or something.

Think about it for a full minute- if Tim Cook was hit by a bus today, Apple stock would drop in a serious way. He didn't vote for Trump, but he's accepting real world things as they are, and dealing with it. This, my friends, is what a problem solving rock star looks like.

modul8tr

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2002
Yeah, it's Mike Pence and most of the new (evangelical Christian) administration who care if you're gay, then you might get electrocuted straight. At the very least you'll be subject to removal of anti-discrimination legislation, or subject to new discriminatory legislation.

I agree with what you are saying, but I think the original post was referencing Trump being a textbook sociopath/narcissist.

My opinion is he doesn't personally believe much of what he puts out there, or care about anything or anyone (including his wife/children) more than he cares about himself and his interests. He's simply using it to radicalise a base. When you're a sociopath/narcissist, people are merely objects/tools to be *collected*. You MUST BE subservient and in agreement with them always, or you will be outcast. You may even find your life ruined.

The world, including the people supporting him are going to be quite terrified when they see just how far a full blown sociopath will go to win whatever "game" they may be playing.

Why? Cause' it's not about you. It was never about you, your beliefs, racist/sexist/xenophobic ideologies, dreams or desires. It's about HIM. And HE is anything you need him to be...as long as you have something he needs.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.