Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Yeah, it's Mike Pence and most of the new (evangelical Christian) administration who care if you're gay, then you might get electrocuted straight. At the very least you'll be subject to removal of anti-discrimination legislation, or subject to new discriminatory legislation.

Exaggerate much? I have known Mike Pence since before he was my Congressman (2001-2012) or my Governor (2012-2016). I have no idea where you get your information, even the biased U.S. media hasn't accused Governor Pence of wanting to bring back electro-shock therapy.

Last edited:
Reactions: augustrushrox

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Lisbon, Portugal
Good to see that he does have some class. Can't say that of many other supporters of Clinton, who have been acting in a very disappointing way. Threatening electors to vote against Trump, these useless recounts where Trump still won bigly and whatnot. So this is very refreshing of Tim to say.

I'm guessing that coming from a Geert Wilders supporter (for all you americans/brits/others who don't know who I'm talking about, he's not only the person featured in our fellow commenter's avatar, but also the dutch version of Trump/Farage/Le Pen/etc.), you are referring to pretty much all civic displays of disgust by minorities and by people who voted for the most-voted candidate overall, am I right? When you have, on one hand, an unelected person for head of state of your country, but can, on the other hand, vote directly for your head of government… So, I'm also guessing that coming from that background, the screwy electoral college system is smack down the middle of the democratic fairness spectrum for you, eh?

I have to give it to you; for a fan of a populist xenophobe bordering on the neo-nazi (there, Mr. Godwin, we did it again… *slow clap*), you, too, seem to have some class (enough to fool other forum-goers into liking your smooth talk… but not me, nope, because I know better than that). Were it not for the avatar, I'd have given you my upvote, but at least you are honest enough to show your true colours and, thus, saved me the trouble of having to figure them out through prolonged exposure.

P.S. (and slightly off-topic, but seeing we are discussing the way to deal with the rise of a proto-fascist to power – I mean Trump, but I might as well be talking about any of his European offshoots –, well… not that much, really): My brother, an extremely hard-working musician, lived and worked happily in your country for eight years, giving back to the community in culture, taxes paid there and also money earned back at our native country and spent over there; thanks to your collective north-european miser way of living and the austerity you foisted upon your own people and those of the south of Europe (I'm thinking of, say, that jerk Jeroen Dijsselbloem and all of the other EPP cronies' evildoing during the dark ECB/IMF/EC Troika years), he was forced to move elsewhere (the neighbouring and likewise dutch/vlaams and french-speaking Belgium – besides Portuguese, English and Spanish, my brother speaks all of those too, by the way –, where the tax and health system are crap by comparison, but at least he can actually find work). And I'd venture to say he was never harassed because he was lucky enough to catch some recessive genes, which gave him blonde hair and blue eyes, and also because during those years he made a point of learning dutch (which is only fair; I'd do the same if I were in his shoes, and not because of fear or practical reasons, but mostly out of respect and curiosity).

P.P.S. (and still on the same off-topic topic): Also, I very much wanted, a few years ago, to study type design at the KABK, in Den Haag, and now probably wouldn't be caught dead there because of the way you lot are turning out to be (not that I'd have much of a social life anyway, and the colleagues and teachers are super nice people, but I just wouldn't feel safe during my daily errands, especially if that lunatic rose to power – I've been watching closely what's going on in post-Brexit UK and I already scratched it off of my list, save for Scotland and maybe London, depending on how long it takes for it to collapse, so I can safely assume that the NL wouldn't turn out too different). And I'm Portuguese, just another regular EU citizen with an EU passport, and a well educated one at that, with a BFA, a C2/Proficiency English level, a B2 Spanish level and a natural penchant for learning languages and adapting to other cultures (like most Portuguese people; just ask anyone here about the ethnic makeup of Newark, NJ, Stockwell, etc. and how well most people get along over there, and they'll tell you)… My €0,02.

Last edited:

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
But with the way Mr Trump flips like a fish on deck, you can't be sure if he believed, believes, or no longer really believes that... Ideologically he swings both ways to try to capture both sides with the idea of "the thing he said that I agree with, is what he really meant, regardless of saying the opposite because he was forced to say that although he didn't mean it."

Maybe he will flip, maybe not. The reason I chose that moment from the RNC is because it wasn't really about Trump, but because it highlights the shift in the Right I was talking about. The old school is dying off and there's a growing Libertarian bent in the party.

There will be no electroshock witch hunt for gays. Trump holds zero apparent malice towards gays. The party doesn't want it. So what's his motivation? Stop characterizing the entire party based on the worst beliefs of a few. That's bigotry.

Last edited:

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I agree with Tim Cook as well. He nor any other citizen has to "like" Donald Trump. But Cook realistically has to work with the President if Apple (the biggest corporation in America) wants to move forward.

Exactly. Tim Cook is the CEO of the most successful, prosperous, and admired companies in the world. I doubt even Donald Trump in all his narcissism wouldn't take into consideration what Cook has to say.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
Actually it just means he supported the ending of funding for programs that encouraged unsafe sexual behavior that leads to an increase in the risk for HIV infection. Changing peoples behavior to use things like condoms.
Still dragging out that old chestnut? I love "Conservatives", so concerned about public health!

And that's what it always boils down to for the Republicans, they're afraid somebody, somewhere is having sex, actually enjoying it, and not being punished for it. Espousing personal freedom while hiding in your closet trying to catch a peep of something "naughty" so they can sentence you to death, or children.

Let me know when these guys do something to fight HPV, or some other STI they can't attempt to blame on the LGBTQ community, those diseases kill people too, and the GOP is leading the charge to eliminate organizations that actually do fight those things, usually because the "Boogey Man" told them to do it.

I hear Syphilis is making a comeback, that ought to please those "Constitutional Originalists".

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I'm guessing that coming from a Geert Wilders supporter (for all you americans/brits/others who don't know who I'm talking about, he's not only the person featured in our fellow commenter's avatar, but also the dutch version of Trump/Farage/Le Pen/etc.), you are referring to pretty much all civic displays of disgust by minorities and by people who voted for the most-voted candidate overall, am I right? When you have, on one hand, an unelected person for head of state of your country, but can, on the other hand, vote directly for your head of government… So, I'm also guessing that coming from that background, the screwy electoral college system is smack down the middle of the democratic fairness spectrum for you, eh?

I have to give it to you; for a fan of a populist xenophobe bordering on the neo-nazi (there, Mr. Godwin, we did it again… *slow clap*), you, too, seem to have some class (enough to fool other forum-goers into liking your smooth talk… but not me, nope, because I know better than that). Were it not for the avatar, I'd have given you my upvote, but at least you are honest enough to show your true colours and, thus, saved me the trouble of having to figure them out through prolonged exposure.

P.S. (and slightly off-topic, but seeing we are discussing the way to deal with the rise of a proto-fascist to power – I mean Trump, but I might as well be talking about any of his European offshoots –, well… not that much, really): My brother, an extremely hard-working musician, lived and worked happily in your country for eight years, giving back to the community in culture, taxes paid there and also money earned back at our native country and spent over there; thanks to your collective north-european miser way of living and the austerity you foisted upon your own people and those of the south of Europe (I'm thinking of, say, that jerk Jeroen Dijsselbloem and all of the other EPP cronies' evildoing during the dark ECB/IMF/EC Troika years), he was forced to move elsewhere (the neighbouring and likewise dutch/vlaams and french-speaking Belgium – besides Portuguese, English and Spanish, my brother speaks all of those too, by the way –, where the tax and health system are crap by comparison, but at least he can actually find work). And I'd venture to say he was never harassed because he was lucky enough to catch some recessive genes, which gave him blonde hair and blue eyes, and also because during those years he made a point of learning dutch (which is only fair; I'd do the same if I were in his shoes, and not because of fear or practical reasons, but mostly out of respect and curiosity).

P.P.S. (and still on the same off-topic topic): Also, I very much wanted, a few years ago, to study type design at the KABK, in Den Haag, and now probably wouldn't be caught dead there because of the way you lot are turning out to be (not that I'd have much of a social life anyway, and the colleagues and teachers are super nice people, but I just wouldn't feel safe during my daily errands, especially if that lunatic rose to power – I've been watching closely what's going on in post-Brexit UK and I already scratched it off of my list, save for Scotland and maybe London, depending on how long it takes for it to collapse, so I can safely assume that the NL wouldn't turn out too different). And I'm Portuguese, just another regular EU citizen with an EU passport, and a well educated one at that, with a BFA, a C2/Proficiency English level, a B2 Spanish level and a natural penchant for learning languages and adapting to other cultures (like most Portuguese people; just ask anyone here about the ethnic makeup of Newark, NJ, Stockwell, etc. and how well most people get along over there, and they'll tell you)… My €0,02.
Are you done with the ********? Because I am. I keep hearing the same thing from you liberalists who just can't accept the fact that current politics are no good for this world. The fact that I see words such as 'xenophobe' in your posts proves me exactly right.

What people like you can't see, is that we are currently dealing with very difficult issues that require difficult solutions. The problem is, that these solutions cannot be delivered by liberals. Many thought it could, but the politicians have proved themselves they can't. Our PM Mark Rutte has had his chances of doing the right thing: last April we voted against the so-called Ukrainian treaty, it cost him like 8 months to decide he would reject the vote. He hasn't solved the rise of criminality, discrimination and hatred that these 'refugees' cause. And there's plenty of other examples I could give, but I've got better things to do.

But anyway, liberals don't see these problems. They only see rainbows, unicorns, candy and whatnot. And that's why you can't trust them with politics, unfortunately.

By the way, it's not us populists/xenophobes you should be afraid of. It's the refugees and immigrants you should be afraid of. They are causing hatred and division throughout the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: NGruia

hellopupy

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2016
Los Angeles
Its really sad that a large percentage of the country sees Trump as a homophobic gay-hater, when he has proudly waved the LGBT flag and says he will protect gays.

Cook couldn't afford not to attend, he knows he is there to push tax cuts and bring his overseas assets back for as little as possible.
[doublepost=1482221998][/doublepost]
Still dragging out that old chestnut? I love "Conservatives", so concerned about public health!

And that's what it always boils down to for the Republicans, they're afraid somebody, somewhere is having sex, actually enjoying it, and not being punished for it. Espousing personal freedom while hiding in your closet trying to catch a peep of something "naughty" so they can sentence you to death, or children.

Let me know when these guys do something to fight HPV, or some other STI they can't attempt to blame on the LGBTQ community, those diseases kill people too, and the GOP is leading the charge to eliminate organizations that actually do fight those things, usually because the "Boogey Man" told them to do it.

I hear Syphilis is making a comeback, that ought to please those "Constitutional Originalists".

I've never met a conservative or what you call a constitutional originalist that was against initiatives that helped fight deadly diseases, what in the hell are you talking about with the crazy leftist rant?

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
I've never met a conservative or what you call a constitutional originalist that was against initiatives that helped fight deadly diseases, what in the hell are you talking about with the crazy leftist rant?
Well, you missed Scalia, but you can still drive down to OC and find plenty.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Thank goodness for people like Tim Cook. There are a lot of people, especially on the internet and in academia (particularly in the US) who could learn something from this guy. "Liberal" wasn't seen as such an intensely dirty word until recently, which I'd mostly pin on the rise of these extremes who think you do change things by just yelling. Sure you can get angry and passionate, but when there's no substance it's only seen as offensive and the person is dismissed as crazy.

What do you think is more likely to change someone's mind: listening to their ideas in a composed manner (treating them as human beings no matter how intensely you disagree) then presenting your argument, backed with whatever evidence and logic you can - or just yelling at them that they're wrong, disgusting, racist, sexist, homophobic and should be ashamed of themselves and their privilege? Fundamentally I'm on the left side - all in favour of equality of rights and opportunities for all, standing up for those who've been historically mistreated in society etc. But the actual conduct in recent years is all wrong and is why there's been a huge backlash from the right. You can't just go accusing people of being racist or homophobic etc and hoping it'll shame them into changing their minds. I don't think it's ever worked that way.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Dear Tim,

Shut the FRAK UP about anything other than Apple's products and give us REAL computers.

Thanks.

Donald, shut the **** up about anything other than real estate. Stop dragging people to courts, stop destroying people's livelihoods when they're in your way, pay your bills even when suppliers can't afford taking you to court, stop ripping people off through bankruptcies. Stop being a petty narcissistic pig who can't keep his hands off women's body parts. Stop insulting the parents of soldiers who died for their country.

Reactions: Solomani

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
You can be conservative and not think the government should interfere with gay people's private lives. And yes, they ARE private lives and none of your business.
Except Tim made it Apple's social agenda.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suspended
Oct 1, 2014
Tim Cook, the guy who is a liberal to protect his gay rights and a conservative to protect Apples hidden cash abroad. Tim wants his cake and eat it too.
You insist on placing people into arbitrary categories and then criticising them when they fail to conform or meet your expectations. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
Are you done with the ********? Because I am. I keep hearing the same thing from you liberalists who just can't accept the fact that current politics are no good for this world. The fact that I see words such as 'xenophobe' in your posts proves me exactly right.

What people like you can't see, is that we are currently dealing with very difficult issues that require difficult solutions. The problem is, that these solutions cannot be delivered by liberals. Many thought it could, but the politicians have proved themselves they can't. Our PM Mark Rutte has had his chances of doing the right thing: last April we voted against the so-called Ukrainian treaty, it cost him like 8 months to decide he would reject the vote. He hasn't solved the rise of criminality, discrimination and hatred that these 'refugees' cause. And there's plenty of other examples I could give, but I've got better things to do.

But anyway, liberals don't see these problems. They only see rainbows, unicorns, candy and whatnot. And that's why you can't trust them with politics, unfortunately.

By the way, it's not us populists/xenophobes you should be afraid of. It's the refugees and immigrants you should be afraid of. They are causing hatred and division throughout the world.

Oh, the irony, it's almost painful.

You're the one causing hatred and division, with exactly this kind of ********.

Reactions: Mainyehc

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
I don't believe anything any of them say. Hillary was against gay marriage before she was for it. So was Obama. Obama also said Hillary was unfit to be President and just this year she's the only one qualified?

The only thing I have hop for with Trump is that he is not a politician. He doesn't have to worry about getting reelected, worry about keeping political friends, etc. He's 70 now - by the time he gets out at 74 he'l probably do nothing in politics again.
Trump is here to stay for 8 years. Then other Trumps will follow. This is the beginning of the Trump dynasty.
[doublepost=1482227930][/doublepost]
I never knew Steve was a failure.
I guess you don't get sarcasm.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Oh, the irony, it's almost painful.

You're the one causing hatred and division, with exactly this kind of ********.
So, you're saying that refugees and immigrants are all good people? That they are very kind to everyone and accept people the way they are without trying to convert them to Islam? If so, you're wrong. Totally wrong in fact. In the Netherlands, the police has had their hands full with these refugees who are refusing to adapt to OUR norms and values.

I say, you're welcome in my country, no matter who you are or what you believe in. As long as you adapt to us. Even trying that would be enough to me, honestly. It would at least show some respect to the people who actually live in the country. If you can't see the logic in this opinion, I feel sorry for you.

By the way, I would almost forgot it: your statement is a bit dull, isn't it? Do you have any real arguments? If so, I'd be glad to hear about them.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
We have held the notion for far too long that everyone has to agree on everything to be able to be friends and that isn't true.

Now I am not saying Trump and Cook are going to become buddies (although they could if they wanted to), but I am saying that you can disagree with issues and still be civil to one another and perhaps even find common middle ground in cases like this.
Tell that to the bully across the table, or explain it to Boeing and Lockheed Martin.

G-News

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Switzerland
Alas Tim seems to hope that yelling "we have the best Desktops EVARR" will keep customers happy, without actually offering any deskopts for over a year.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
This 100%. My wife and I disagree all the time. I mean all.the.time. We keep things civil by agreeing that she is right... all the time. Always. Day and night. Year after year after decade after decade. She will always be right.

/'cept when I'm alone
/in a separate room
/in a separate state
/possibly a different country

then and only then am I ri...
<phone rings> hold on a sec...

Hmmm. It seems I am incorrect. I've been informed She's right in all those instance too.:(

/mentally screams I'M RIGHT! in my mind
<phone rings... again>:eek:

On topic: Tim's right, yelling doesn't change things. 'Cept maybe your sleeping location.

As I heard from a comedian:

Right after I was married upon leaving the church the priest took me aside and left me with the advice:

From now on you always have to decide whether your want to be right or you want to be happy!

Reactions: 69Mustang

mcdspncr

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
Tim Cook, the guy who is a liberal to protect his gay rights and a conservative to protect Apples hidden cash abroad. Tim wants his cake and eat it too.

Have you heard of fiscal conservatism and social liberalism? In many countries with more than two parties that are racing the polarize every issue, this moderate dichotomy exists. I wish we'd reach a point here in the US where we also had a similar option to vote for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.