Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoshua0x

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2023
Howdyyyy 1st time poster here :) Thanks for the wealth knowledge y'all!

I have been manually switching the cable for my CalDigit TS4 dock between my MBP and Windows PC.

Based on previous replies, the Sabrent KVM should work, however it's not clear if I can support all the peripherals from the CalDigit dock with the devices only plugged into the KVM switch. Any thoughts / feedback on this approach would be appreciated before I pull the trigger.

RyanJWilliams

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2014
Great news on my end! I got it working with what I consider a better version of the switch than is available on Amazon.

What I used:

Works perfectly! So excited!

Short-terms plans for 1x Apple Studio Display

Long-terms plans for 2x Apple Studio Display
  • Buy another switch from AliExpress, and hook up each monitor individually, the downside is there will be two cables running from each laptop vs the single if I went with a hub like the CalDigit element... but now I can individually control if I want one laptop displaying on both, or one on each.
  • I have the Logitech G604 mouse and G915 keyboard, that can switch between bluetooth/lightspeed right on the device, so if I'm using one display for each monitor, it will be super easy to switch between inputs.

I decided to give the AliExpress adapter a punt and can confirm it seems to work. With an Intel MacBook Pro and an M1 Mac Mini, it works great at passing through the signal and allowing switching. I’m yet to test the HP Windows laptop (which previously worked fine connected directly to ASD).

There is one issue: the Apple thunderbolt cable doesn’t work. But the cable that came with the adapter does work for either device, so it must require a different spec of cable. I just need another of the working ones now.

My setup is now one cable permanently wired up to the Mac Mini, and a second ‘hot swap’ cable for the various laptops we have in the household. The switcher provides a nice big button for swapping between the two, and the end devices then receive the printer, wireless mouse, and keyboard connected to the ASD.

RyanJWilliams

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2014
Okay, while just preparing to bin the packaging I noticed a second USB-C/TB cable in the box. That solves my need for an extra one and now it’s hot swapping between both Macs no problem.

yoshua0x

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2023
Howdyyyy 1st time poster here :) Thanks for the wealth knowledge y'all!

I have been manually switching the cable for my CalDigit TS4 dock between my MBP and Windows PC.

Based on previous replies, the Sabrent KVM should work, however it's not clear if I can support all the peripherals from the CalDigit dock with the devices only plugged into the KVM switch. Any thoughts / feedback on this approach would be appreciated before I pull the trigger.

Sounds like this should work! Comment from Sabrent official video is promising.

This is a phenomenal product. I just got mine yesterday, and it is exactly what I have been asking for for years. I have mine connected to my work MacBook Pro and my personal Mac Mini with my Caldigit TS4 downstream which hosts my two Studio Displays and other peripheral connections. It works flawlessly. I was fully prepared to have to deal with some workarounds or magic incantations to get this to work, but it worked right out of the box with no problems. This is a rarity these days with specialty products in my experience. This thing rules.

• Love
Reactions: killawat

blackie36

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2006
Couldn't agree more - I've had mine for around a week now - using in conjunction with a downstream Caldigit TS4 and a Pro Display XDR (switching between MacBook Pro and Mac Studio). Works flawlessly.

h5c5

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2023
Created an account to share that I ordered the AliExpress KVM [https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004996843263.html] & it's (currently) working with Mac Air M1 and a Mac Mini M2 connected to a Studio Display using the cables that came with it.

Weirdly, I had a problem with one device not working with the Display's sound & video, though the display itself still worked. I switched the cables around & everything started working again. I suspect it might have something to do with the KVM needing some kind of restart. It's also odd that it doesn't always need the USB power supply as I assume it can sometimes draw power from the connected device.

A useful, affordable gadget to help with the way I work (though I would be keen to replace it with an Apple-approved product).

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
Sounds like this should work! Comment from Sabrent official video is promising.

This is a phenomenal product. I just got mine yesterday, and it is exactly what I have been asking for for years. I have mine connected to my work MacBook Pro and my personal Mac Mini with my Caldigit TS4 downstream which hosts my two Studio Displays and other peripheral connections. It works flawlessly. I was fully prepared to have to deal with some workarounds or magic incantations to get this to work, but it worked right out of the box with no problems. This is a rarity these days with specialty products in my experience. This thing rules.
Curious if the 60w power delivery is limiting. I have a 16" MacBook Pro and was curious if this could power it.

triom

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
I also got the AliExpress to try it out. It comes with all the necessary cables. I'm using it with my work MBP and my personal Mac Mini M2. I am not able to utilize the Camera/Mic/Speakers on my Apple Studio Display. Are any of you with the AliExpress solution able to do so?

For those with the Sabrent KVM, does the switch make a lot of noise? Are able to use the Camera/Mic/Speakers on the Apple Studio Display?

Kelly the Dude

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
Dumb question for the Sabrent TB4 KVM owners--I've read through but I haven't seen anyone mention this scenario: Has anyone tried or had any luck with the tb4 KVM daisy chaining to another one of these usb-c solutions (ConnBull one specifically?) to create a 3 device input solution? I've had the ConnBull one for a while, I saw some others try this earlier with the other USB-C solutions without luck, but haven't heard if the Sabrent TB4 going into a ConnBull USB-C KVM allowed a two switch / three computer / one studio display solution to work? (I know this is an incredibly niche situation. 😅)

triom

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
So I unplugged and replugged the Aliexpress cables and now the speakers, mic and camera on the Studio Display seem to work. If this holds, I'll stick with the ~$40 solution. :)

petardosh

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2021
localhost
I'm currently switching manually between my two Anker TB4 hubs connected to a Pro XDR and two M1 Macbooks respectively. This allows me to use the Pro XDR's USB-C ports as USB 3.1 Gen 1, which I prefer for the camera attached to the display.

My understanding is that using the SABRENT TB4 KVM will limit the Pro XDR's USB-C ports to USB 2.0. Can someone look into the System Information to confirm this?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I'm currently switching manually between my two Anker TB4 hubs connected to a Pro XDR and two M1 Macbooks respectively. This allows me to use the Pro XDR's USB-C ports as USB 3.1 Gen 1, which I prefer for the camera attached to the display.

My understanding is that using the SABRENT TB4 KVM will limit the Pro XDR's USB-C ports to USB 2.0. Can someone look into the System Information to confirm this?
Yes, definitely need a look in System Information.app. In the USB tab, the USB hub in the display should say 5 Gbps and attached USB 3.x device should also be 5 Gbps. The display should be listed in the Thunderbolt tab of System Information.app as being connected at 40 Gbps x1.

SABRENT TB4 KVM is a Thunderbolt device so connecting a Thunderbolt display such as the Apple Pro Display XDR should not limit the ports of the display.
But the product page says the KVM mode is only for 2x DisplayPort Alternate Mode (DP Alt Mode) compatible computers so it can't switch Thunderbolt? Or is it bad documentation? The product page calls the PC ports USB-C even though they have a Thunderbolt icon. That's confusing, especially since it does call the downstream Thunderbolt ports "Thunderbolt".

The description at https://dancharblog.wordpress.com/2...-dock-teardown-and-review/#functional-testing lists a Diodes Inc PI3DBS16412 PCIe 2->1 switch which can switch signals up to 20 Gbps for 8 to 4 differential channels.
https://www.diodes.com/assets/Databriefs/PI3DBS16412-Product-Brief.pdf
That's enough bandwidth and differential channels to switch two Thunderbolt devices to a single Thunderbolt controller in the dock.
(Thunderbolt has 2 lanes with separate Tx and Rx differential channels so that's 4 differential channels per Thunderbolt device.
Thunderbolt 3 & 4 is actually 20.625 Gbps, but 20 Gbps should be good enough.)

Reactions: WP31 and petardosh

nineohtoo

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
SF Bay Area
For those using the aliexpress switcher, has anyone confirmed that any other longer usb-c cables that work? My incoming Studio Display will be on a desk mount, which will likely use up about 3ft going through the monitor arm's cable management system. I also ordered one of the switchers when I found this thread, but mine didn't come with any usb-c cables.

I'm gonna give this one a try since the comparable or faster Anker ones are 3ft or shorter, and the OWC one is three times as much:

Are the 40gb/s cables really going to make a difference for a display, or are those just what I want to use when connecting things like external drives or devices I'm pulling data from?

petardosh

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2021
localhost
Thunderbolt 3 & 4 is actually 20.625 Gbps, but 20 Gbps should be good enough.)

Thanks for sharing the data sheet, I missed there was review of the Sabrent dock on Dan's blog already. In the data sheet, TB3 is explicitly mentioned as example. Then it should suffice for the Pro which is TB3 as well.

Ash01

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2023
I’ve been following this thread with interest and hope someone here can answer my questions about using the SABRENT TB4 KVM with an Apple Studio Display. I would like to replace my current display with the Studio display. The current display is connected to via USB-C from my MacBook Pro and via HDMI through a USB-C hub from a work Windows laptop.

Each laptop has its own keyboard, mouse and external, USB connected speaker/mic. I run video calls via the built in camera on both laptops. The desk is cluttered.

I like to use an Apple Studio display with its built in camera, mic and speakers to run video calls from either laptop and share a single keyboard and mouse between the laptops too. I am hopeful that the SABRENT TB4 KVM will do all this for me - I.E. switch keyboard/mouse/AS Display, AS camera, AS mic and AS speakers between the Mac laptop and the Windows laptop. Has anyone done this via the SABRENT TB4 KVM?

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
cant you simply get a Thunderbolt male to female extension cord and plug in either computer to the female extension end to switch between computers? If so, which cable is good quality?

monsthamo

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2023
I’ve been reading through this thread and thank you for all the information here!

For the aliexpress switch, does anyone know if it would work with a PC with the belkin vr cable, and successfully pass the cam and audio to and from the PC?

Thank you!

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
cant you simply get a Thunderbolt male to female extension cord and plug in either computer to the female extension end to switch between computers? If so, which cable is good quality?
I don't think these exist. The cable terminal connectors are "active", so there's electronics that must be handshook (handshake'd? negotiated) when plugging in to the device/computer.

Kelly the Dude

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
I don't think these exist. The cable terminal connectors are "active", so there's electronics that must be handshook (handshake'd? negotiated) when plugging in to the device/computer.
CC: @Lucas Curious
I can confirm they do exist, as I do have a 2 of them that I used exactly for this purpose. I bought half meter cables off amazon that claimed to be USB4/Thunderbolt extensions. I used them as a makeshift KVM for a while. Based off your conversation I plugged them in one after the other, then the standard provided Apple Thunderbolt cable.

MBP -> Cord A -> Cord B -> Apple Thunderbolt Cable -> Studio Display.

They worked and System Information reported the connection as Thunderbolt 3.

I also tried stacking a them with a 6 foot Thunderbolt cable going to an Anker Thunderbolt Dock. I could add one, but not the other one. I'm sure I was hitting the length limit of thunderbolt somehow.

Here's a link to them on Amazon:

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
CC: @Lucas Curious
I can confirm they do exist, as I do have a 2 of them that I used exactly for this purpose. I bought half meter cables off amazon that claimed to be USB4/Thunderbolt extensions. I used them as a makeshift KVM for a while. Based off your conversation I plugged them in one after the other, then the standard provided Apple Thunderbolt cable.

MBP -> Cord A -> Cord B -> Apple Thunderbolt Cable -> Studio Display.

They worked and System Information reported the connection as Thunderbolt 3.

I also tried stacking a them with a 6 foot Thunderbolt cable going to an Anker Thunderbolt Dock. I could add one, but not the other one. I'm sure I was hitting the length limit of thunderbolt somehow.

Here's a link to them on Amazon:

nice. thank you

Reactions: Kelly the Dude

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
Just purchased a Sabrent TB4 KVM to switch between my Personal Mac Studio and my Work MacBook Pro. I have a keyboard and mouse plugged into my Studio display via USB and I'm curious if this will switch the keyboard and mouse between the two.

CatoTheElder

macrumors member
May 7, 2020
The Sabrent switch looks really promising. But unfortunately it is not (yet/any more) available for international customers... :-(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.