Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kelly the Dude

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
Just purchased a Sabrent TB4 KVM to switch between my Personal Mac Studio and my Work MacBook Pro. I have a keyboard and mouse plugged into my Studio display via USB and I'm curious if this will switch the keyboard and mouse between the two.
I can't speak to the sabreint switch, but I have one of the more common USB-c switchers with the studio display, and have an Apple Magic Keyboard, Apple Magic Trackpad and a MX-518 mouse plugged into my studio display, through a hub coming off of it. They all switch with the display.

I will amend that in that I have noticed it lags a little bit ever since I installed Sonoma, but I always can get it them all to switch when I unplug the keyboard (at the keyboard) and plug it back in. This is a very rare scenario, seems to be a bug that will be resolved?

le.bouch

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Just a note in case it helps anyone trying to use a work-provided Windows laptop with their ASD...

I have a Lenovo E14 Gen 2 on Win 11, also my own M2 Pro Mac mini - hot-swapping between the two to an ASD. I've been struggling with the Lenovo, seemingly thanks to my company's Security policies.

Essentially the ASD will work, either as an Extended or Duplicate screen, receiving a picture and charging the laptop, but each time connected the E14 throws an 'installation of this device is forbidden by system policy' message. The E14 sees the ASD as a Generic Monitor.
It then installs the PCI-to-PCI Bridge which is subsequently blocked, again by system policy. As a result, the speakers, microphone and camera aren't recognised but more importantly every now and again the ASD turns off and only the E14 display is active.
Windows+P allows me to select the ASD again but it means rearranging and resizing any previously-open windows - frustrating when it happens a few times a day.

My work IT Support weren't interested, saying the Lenovo can't possibly work with Apple hardware and suggested I got a non-Apple display...

Today I received the Ali-Express 'True USB-C Bidirectional Switcher - 10Gbps, 8K, PD100W' linked-to a few posts up. It cost me £30 inc UK tax and shipping (within a week).

Plugged it all in using the enclosed leads. Had a false start - the switcher needs 5v power via a USB-A to USB-C lead - the switcher doesn't work properly if ASD supplies this, even with the correct USB-C to USB-A adaptor.

With correct power supplied, the switcher works perfectly, allowing me to select between my Mac or work Lenovo. BUT now the Lenovo identifies the ASD correctly (not as a Generic Monitor) AND accesses the ASD speakers, microphone and camera. Windows sees the switcher as a USB-2 Hub. No sudden disappearance of the ASD picture either so far - I'll update this if it happens.

Hope that helps - worth a £30 punt if you're having issues with a Win PC and the ASD.

natsukosen

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2023
Had a false start - the switcher needs 5v power via a USB-A to USB-C lead - the switcher doesn't work properly if ASD supplies this, even with the correct USB-C to USB-A adaptor.
@le.bouch Thank you for these insights! Where do you attach the USB-A plug of the Ali Express KVM for the 5V power? Do you use a separate 5V power adapter e.g. like the iPhone Charger with 5V / 1A?

On a side note:
This KVM switch from Amazon seems to have fried my Moshi cable (Displayport 1.4 to USB-C) where the Displayport end was plugged into a RTX 3090 graphics card.

camgeet USB C Switch, Bi-Directional USB Type C Switcher for 2 Computers, USB C 2 in 1 out or 1 in 2 out KVM Switch 8K @ 60Hz 4K @ 120Hz Video/10Gbps Data Transfer/100W Charging

I am a bit frightened to try it again now with a newly ordered cable which is the WJESOG USB-C to DP

Exact setup:
On port 1 of the KVM I had the provided USB-C cable of th KVM attached to the KVM and a MacBook Pro M1.

On port 2 of the KVM I had the Moshi USB-C Cable attached.

KVM powered by an iPhone 5V/1A power adapter.

I was working on the MBP and the PC went into Sleep in the meantime. I then wanted to hotswap by pressing the button on the KVM and the PC didn‘t show any signal anymore, where my RTX had a red blinking led on only. Did a hard power off and restarted without success with the Moshi cable only attached (without KVM). Then used my Cable Matters cable and it worked again. I am scared about trying the Cable Matters cable again with this KVM switch.

I‘m not sure how to approach all this yet.

Last edited:

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Take a look at external GPU's I think that may be your answer. They work like an internal card for distributing your video. There are numerous options. The beauty of an external GPU is they do not hog the resources of the computers you have plugged into them.

Last edited:

KeepOnKeepinOn

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2020
Need some help.

Currently got a mac mini 2, that currently isn't my main mac (yet) and doesn't have a dedicated monitor. I've previously started a thread elsewhere where I'd asked about the possibilities to get a KVM switch to with an old TBD but that's a no-go.

On the same desk I use a dual monitor set-up for work with a Windows laptop and I'm wondering whether there's a relatively inexpensive KVM switch I can use for the Dell P2422HE and HP E242 monitors with the mac mini?

I'd be happy to dip my toes and order on AliExpress, am UK based. TIA

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
There is a really easy way to do just what you want. I have a PC, and my Mac Studio feeding into the same monitor. The way I do it is with a Yamaha Audio Visual Receiver. It is not as cheap as you are aiming for but the benefits are huge. You get surround Dolby. Atmos, which works with the music Atmos on Apple music. audio power to shake you house. Net Radio, etc. I can switch between 5 different HDMI inputs. You have a host of different AVR's to chose from I would suggest Denon, and Yamaha.

IMG_8421.jpeg

Reactions: KeepOnKeepinOn

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
So I unplugged and replugged the Aliexpress cables and now the speakers, mic and camera on the Studio Display seem to work. If this holds, I'll stick with the ~$40 solution. :)
Has this kept working for you? I'm using the TB cables that came with the Aliexpress switch, and otherwise everything works except the built in stuff in the Studio Display (camera, mic, speakers).

Update: Got the studio display fully working by replugging cables on one of the plugged in macs but not with another.

triom

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
Has this kept working for you? I'm using the TB cables that came with the Aliexpress switch, and otherwise everything works except the built in stuff in the Studio Display (camera, mic, speakers).

Update: Got the studio display fully working by replugging cables on one of the plugged in macs but not with another.
Yeah it has been working pretty well. Every now and then I need to replug the cables but it isn’t that often.
I’m using a Bluetooth Logitech keyboard and mouse that each have a button on them so when I switch computers, I also have to press a button on the keyboard and mouse. It’s been working out but I’m open to seeing if there is a better solution

Reactions: Donza

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
Yeah it has been working pretty well. Every now and then I need to replug the cables but it isn’t that often.
I’m using a Bluetooth Logitech keyboard and mouse that each have a button on them so when I switch computers, I also have to press a button on the keyboard and mouse. It’s been working out but I’m open to seeing if there is a better solution
And you succeeded to get both plugged in Macs to recognize Studio Display's camera and speakers? I'm struggling with getting my MacBook to recognise these, but at least my Mac Mini now recognizes the camera and is playing audio from speakers...

triom

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
And you succeeded to get both plugged in Macs to recognize Studio Display's camera and speakers? I'm struggling with getting my MacBook to recognise these, but at least my Mac Mini now recognizes the camera and is playing audio from speakers...
Yes, I don't know what the underlying issue is but replugging the cable in resolved it for me. I'm able to use the Studio Display's camera and speakers with both my new Mac Mini M2 and my older Intel MBP.

Reactions: Donza

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
Yes, I don't know what the underlying issue is but replugging the cable in resolved it for me. I'm able to use the Studio Display's camera and speakers with both my new Mac Mini M2 and my older Intel MBP.
I tried pretty much everything, and finally I seem to have got it working - it was the weirdest fix.
The included USB-C cable that was connecting MacBook to switcher needed to be reversed (the end of the cable that was plugged to switcher had to be plugged to MacBook instead). These included USB-C TB cables seem to be rather weird ones... But knocking wood, all works now.

Will keep this thread posted if the setup breaks again 😅

Reactions: triom

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
The underlying issue is these low cost switches don’t reliably transmit Thunderbolt but sometimes do a just good enough job that the Mac doesn’t switch to USB mode or switches back and forth. I used one of these types of switches reliably for a year but that was in conjunction with a cable that identified itself properly as USB to the Mac (these USB cables have e-chips in them that identify their speed and power to the host computer). The Studio Display cameras and speakers will work in Thunderbolt or USB mode but if it doesn’t properly handshake with the Mac, all bets are off.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
Does this HDMI connection and solution also apply to the Pro Display XDR? I’ve got this issue as well. Two Mac Pros, one 2019 7,1 and the other 5,1 and one XDR. Apologies though. I’m only just now perusing this big thread. I hope there’s a solution in it.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Does this HDMI connection and solution also apply to the Pro Display XDR? I’ve got this issue as well. Two Mac Pros, one 2019 7,1 and the other 5,1 and one XDR. Apologies though. I’m only just now perusing this big thread. I hope there’s a solution in it.
The solution is very easy. I have my entire system controlled from a Yamaha Audio Visual Receiver. I have 5 HDMI inputs, and my model has one HDMI output. My Yamaha is several years old the newest Aventage series Yamaha's have much more than my RX-A770. both of my Mac Studio, and the lenovo mini PC controlling my Ham radio station plug into it. The Apple TV is also plugged in, but it can also pair wirelessly, as can your Mac Pro's. I go wired because I have high powered transmitters in the room and at certains frequencies there can be a problem, even with HDMI 8 cables. I know of no AVR, so far, that are using any of the Thunderbolt standards, or the USB4 standard. This will change, of course. The HDMI connection will gradually go away in favor of the TB4, and later the TB5

One thing I do miss from my monster PC days and warp drive Radeon GPU's is the multiple outputs they had. I could run a HDMI cable to the Yamaha, and also independently plug one of the other GPU ports directly to the monitor. I could use a monitor with or without the AVR in the loop.

I use my system mostly for music and the Dolby Atmos the Yamaha's have will Decode the Music Atmos found on Apple music.

What I am doing is integrating my ICOM IC-7300 so I can operate the radio from either the Mini PC, or the MAC Studio. I have software on the Mac Studio that is in development for the platform I want to keep up with. This requires a switch to route the USB connection between the 2 computers. As I mentioned I am installing a module on the 7300 that has a RF receive output that I will connect my SDRPlay RSPdx. The is a world class Software Defined Receiver with a bandwidth of 1 KHz to 2 GHZ with all mode reception. Incidentally the SDRPlay using SDRconnect can turn your Mac Pro's into powerful receivers.

Last edited:

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
I tried pretty much everything, and finally I seem to have got it working - it was the weirdest fix.
The included USB-C cable that was connecting MacBook to switcher needed to be reversed (the end of the cable that was plugged to switcher had to be plugged to MacBook instead). These included USB-C TB cables seem to be rather weird ones... But knocking wood, all works now.

Will keep this thread posted if the setup breaks again 😅
Been using AliExpress switcher now for few weeks and after the initial issues with cables it has been working flawlessly. For the price I can recommend it, with the caveat that you might need to fiddle with cables in the beginning to see that everything works.

sat2024

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2023
Great news on my end! I got it working with what I consider a better version of the switch than is available on Amazon.

What I used:

Works perfectly! So excited!

Short-terms plans for 1x Apple Studio Display

Long-terms plans for 2x Apple Studio Display
  • Buy another switch from AliExpress, and hook up each monitor individually, the downside is there will be two cables running from each laptop vs the single if I went with a hub like the CalDigit element... but now I can individually control if I want one laptop displaying on both, or one on each.
  • I have the Logitech G604 mouse and G915 keyboard, that can switch between bluetooth/lightspeed right on the device, so if I'm using one display for each monitor, it will be super easy to switch between inputs.
This is great news. I am going to read through the rest of the posts. I have two questions for you:

1. Do you get true 5k output with this switch?
2. Any lag between switching?

Thank you so much.

Calbear88

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
I have a Apple Studio display that is connected to my personal Mac Mini.. I would like to plug in a work Macbook to the Studio Display at the start of each workday and plug back in the personal Mac Mini it at the end of each workday. I'd hate to have the daily unplug/plugging damage the port on a studio display prematurely, so I'm considering buying a switch.

I think the specifications for USB-C/Thunderbolt port durability is rated for 10,000 cycles. If I don't use a switch, and unplug/plug the cable twice a day, 365 days a year, the port theoretically would last 13.7 years

From my research, quite a few phones that have USB-C ports have failures within 1-2 years of daily use, and don't come close to the rated lifespan. Just wondering if anyone had thoughts on how well made apple's thunderbolt 3 ports are on the Studio Display and if would last 10,000 cycles?

Last edited:

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
This is great news. I am going to read through the rest of the posts. I have two questions for you:

1. Do you get true 5k output with this switch?
2. Any lag between switching?

Thank you so much.
I've got this switch and its 1:1 in my eyes as if you had Studio Display directly connected to Mac. 5k output, Facetime camera and mics, speakers, brightness adjustment, everything works (read my caveat about fiddly cables though earlier in this thread).

There's short few second delay as switching happens, but less than 10 seconds for sure.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
Been using AliExpress switcher now for few weeks and after the initial issues with cables it has been working flawlessly. For the price I can recommend it, with the caveat that you might need to fiddle with cables in the beginning to see that everything works.

I’m hoping I can use this switch for a XDR monitor and a 2019 Mac Pro and a 2010 Mac Pro using HDMI. Hopefully I can use a HDMI to USB-C adapter. Anyone tried this?

NorthernFrostbyte

Suspended
Sep 18, 2023
I ran into this situation where my work wants me to use a mbp while I have a mini.

It seems the consensus is to use the Sabrent TB4 KVM for the best experience if I can afford it? Since work pays for it.

However, according to some amazon review the Sabrent TB4 KVM is actually not that great because
1) the switch time is 10-20 seconds?
2) The device gets overheated

Are either of these true? Can anyone recommend the best product here?

iPhisch

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Indiana
Alright, I finally jumped in here. Picked up at Mac Studio (Max, 1TB, 64GB) with a Studio Display at the end of last year. Here's my two computer/one ASD work-at-home setup. I'm usually working at home on every other Thursday and usually Fridays now. Work gave me a Dell Lattitude 7420 with Thunderbolt 4 and a WD22TB4 Thunderbolt dock station. Personal time, I have the Studio hooked to the ASD and a LG 4K monitor on a vesa arm. WFH days I swap the Thunderbolt input cable in the third pic from the Studio to the one that comes from the Dell dock and now I have a vertical dual display setup and my Studio then just functions on the side LG. I can then swap the input on the LG and run three screens for work if I need to as it has multiple inputs. The camera in the ASD is so much more clear than my Dell, and is as a much better eye level so I don't have to slouch so much on webex calls, helps my back a lot more. I'll run CNBC, some news program or music off iTunes between calls on my side screen and can airplay to my in-wall speakers in my office through my Sonos Amp. I'm really happy with this setup now!

Attachments

• IMG_3681 (1).jpeg
    IMG_3681 (1).jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 359
  • IMG_3683 (1).jpeg
    IMG_3683 (1).jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 358
  • IMG_3684 (1).jpeg
    IMG_3684 (1).jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Reactions: asterizk and EzisAA

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Alright, I finally jumped in here. Picked up at Mac Studio (Max, 1TB, 64GB) with a Studio Display at the end of last year. Here's my two computer/one ASD work-at-home setup. I'm usually working at home on every other Thursday and usually Fridays now. Work gave me a Dell Lattitude 7420 with Thunderbolt 4 and a WD22TB4 Thunderbolt dock station. Personal time, I have the Studio hooked to the ASD and a LG 4K monitor on a vesa arm. WFH days I swap the Thunderbolt input cable in the third pic from the Studio to the one that comes from the Dell dock and now I have a vertical dual display setup and my Studio then just functions on the side LG. I can then swap the input on the LG and run three screens for work if I need to as it has multiple inputs. The camera in the ASD is so much more clear than my Dell, and is as a much better eye level so I don't have to slouch so much on webex calls, helps my back a lot more. I'll run CNBC, some news program or music off iTunes between calls on my side screen and can airplay to my in-wall speakers in my office through my Sonos Amp. I'm really happy with this setup now!

This is an elegant solution without adding extra switches, things to plug in, and higher costs.

What brand cable is this and does it play nicely swapping between computers with your Studio Display?

I'm looking to switch my Studio Display between an M1 Macbook Pro and M1 Mac Studio using the Apple thunderbolt pro cables (similar to what you have). I tried a female to female coupler but it was very fickle and wouldn't reliably work when connecting Apple thunderbolt pro cables together to achieve a similar setup as pictured.

Michael60

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2024
It appears, from the provided photos, that you have a certified USB4 or Thunderbolt 3 or 4 extension cable (male to female) connected to your ASD, that then connects, depending on your usage scenario (personal, WFH) to either of the 2 Thunderbolt cables shown. Given that Thunderbolt extension cables are not supported by the applicable specs, I am wondering about 2 aspects of your solution/setup:

What is the brand of the USB 4 extension cable that you are using?Related, where did you obtain the cable?

Second, given reported, elsewhere, connectivity issues when using extension cables with Thunderbolt connections, is your setup continuing to function smoothly?

Thanks.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I bought a few from Amazon. Two worked and one hasn’t arrived yet to test. In any event, I’m sticking with this one:

ConnBull Thunderbolt 4 Extension Cable 100W Compatible with Thunderbolt 3/4, 40Gbps, USB C 4.0 Extension Cable Extender Support 100W Charging / 8K@60Hz Video, USB3.1/3.2,2.62ft​

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CFQ92GCK

I really wanted couplers to work to retain the matching cable aesthetic, but they’re spotty at best.

Michael60

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2024
I bought a few from Amazon. Two worked and one hasn’t arrived yet to test. In any event, I’m sticking with this one:

ConnBull Thunderbolt 4 Extension Cable 100W Compatible with Thunderbolt 3/4, 40Gbps, USB C 4.0 Extension Cable Extender Support 100W Charging / 8K@60Hz Video, USB3.1/3.2,2.62ft​

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CFQ92GCK

I really wanted couplers to work to retain the matching cable aesthetic, but they’re spotty at best.
Thank you for sharing about the ConnBull USB-C extension cable that you’ve purchased. I hope that you provide updates regarding whether it continues to work well for maintaining the Thunderbolt connection. I saw that cable when I went on an extensive search for the extension cable shown in the photos provided by subscriber iPhisch - what is very intriguing about that cable is what appears to be the

USB-IF Certified logo that appears on the female connector…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.