Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsbacon

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2015
This was a painless process on my brother's line:

1. Walked into my local Apple Store and asked to purchase an iPhone 7 on the Verizon DPP. Signed the paperwork, kept current plan and just paid tax at checkout. Took like 10 minutes
2. On the way to the Verizon corporate store, opened the box and activated the phone
3. Walked into the Verizon store with his iPhone 6, simply mentioned that we already bought, received and activated our iPhone 7 on the DPP (didn't mention where we bought it, or how)
4. Rep took the iPhone 6, inspected it and we wiped the phone. She looked up the account, saw the iPhone 7 active on DPP and processed the trade-in. Gave us a paper receipt showing $650 trade-in credit: $225 as the instant trade-in value and $425 as the promo value over 24 mo.

Looking at the terms on the receipt, I have a couple of (speculative) thoughts:

1. If you return or exchange the iPhone 7, it looks like you lose the promo value but still get the regular trade-in value ($225 in my case) since they won't give your traded phone back to you

2. It appears that the line needs to be active AND on DPP (not paid off) for 24 mo to get the full $650. There is nothing in the terms that prevents you from putting a BYOD device on that line.

If anyone has done either of the above, it would help the community if you report back :) I might try #2 this weekend

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011
Sorry, didn't realize you had the phone already. Not sure what to do then. Did you try to chat with cust service?
Ya its a strange situation. I have the phone but I cant activate it yet because my family member is out of town. So if I turn this on it will disconnect my family members phone they have with them now. They told me to just wait to activate and call back to get the promo. Noted in my account apparently.
Shop tab > add new line > select any iPhone > click trade in device under the $0 price area > fill in info > profit

I did not see add new line to get to select ay phone.

takasugi

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Ya its a strange situation. I have the phone but I cant activate it yet because my family member is out of town. So if I turn this on it will disconnect my family members phone they have with them now. They told me to just wait to activate and call back to get the promo. Noted in my account apparently.

I did not see add new line to get to select ay phone.

Just take it into a Verizon corporate store and they will handle it - not sure if you need to activate it first but you have 30 days from when you receive the phone to do the trade-in.

Reactions: Jdnathan11

seatton

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2013
Seattle, WA
Long story short, I got my iPhone 7 + in Black 128GB yesterday (ordered through IUP), upon paying, the staff asked me how I would like to pay. I selected VZ monthly plan. Just a min ago, I walked out of VZ store. I traded in and got my 650 receipt plus I cancelled my existing order with VZ. The phone was supposed to arrive on 11/16. I am so happy!!!

Reactions: takasugi

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
My trade in was received on Monday, but still hasn't been processed or anything. Anyone else in a similar situation? How much longer should it take?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The phones I ordered are still processing. 3 iPhone 7 models of various colors are scheduled to ship 10/19 and 2 iPhone 7+ models are scheduled to ship 11/23. I'm hoping they're seriously overestimating the length of time that it'll take to get the phones.

krishmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
My trade in was received on Monday, but still hasn't been processed or anything. Anyone else in a similar situation? How much longer should it take?

Verizon received my Trade in al most 10 days ago and I am waiting to see when I the trade-in order status updated

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011
One of my two show delivered and waiting final value..

Where did you see this? ON the order page or on your bill?

I did mine in store and the only place I can see it is the my orders page. Says appraisal Value at $650 but not final trade in value yet. Strange.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I did mine in store and the only place I can see it is the my orders page. Says appraisal Value at $650 but not final trade in value yet. Strange.
I just received 3 emails from VZW. Apparently mine was processed today and they said the value was $215 not the $650 promo value. Gonna have to call them. :-/

jdsmitty10

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
I just received 3 emails from VZW. Apparently mine was processed today and they said the value was $215 not the $650 promo value. Gonna have to call them. :-/
Was there a reason for the value not being the total estimated value? When I check my status there's a spot for their reasoning of not giving full credit

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Was there a reason for the value not being the total estimated value? When I check my status there's a spot for their reasoning of not giving full credit

I WAS given the full estimated value of $215. The problem was that the $650 promo was never properly added to my account. It never registered or "stuck" even though I was repeatedly told it would be.

After being given the run around, I believe I finally spoke to the correct rep who has submitted the price adjustment.

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
I WAS given the full estimated value of $215. The problem was that the $650 promo was never properly added to my account. It never registered or "stuck" even though I was repeatedly told it would be.

After being given the run around, I believe I finally spoke to the correct rep who has submitted the price adjustment.

Do they apply the $215 to your bill immediately and split the remaining $435 and pay it over 24 months, or do they split the whole $650 credit by 24?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Do they apply the $215 to your bill immediately and split the remaining $435 and pay it over 24 months, or do they split the whole $650 credit by 24?
It's not 100% sorted yet. The non-promo value of $215 was instantly applied to the account. The $650 value is supposed to be evenly split over 24 months (except for the first 3).

I'm not sure how they're going to sort the discrepancy, as the adjustment hasn't shown up on my end of the billing documents yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.