Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Early adopters beware

Yes, it’s a great time to be a Verizon customer! Many customers have longed for the precious for a long time!

The allure of the iPhone is overwhelming – especially to those who may have never owned one. It's exciting to see it finally come to Verizon. However, I’d just hate to see all you Verizon early-adopters get burned when this latest and greatest leaves you all holding a two-year contract.

Consider carefully ... did you realize you'll probably be unable to upgrade to the iPhone 5 without paying full retail?

I wouldn't upgrade now if I were a Verizon customer. Why?

1. The iPhone 4 is the current model. Apple makes two versions now … one that has GSM technology (AT&T) and one CDMA version (Verizon). The new iPhone 5 will be announced this summer and released shortly thereafter. No one knows for sure what new features the new phone will have … but isn't it widely believed Apple will incorporate CDMA and GSM capability into one phone model? The advantages here are obvious for global travelers. You should theoretically be able to use the phone most anywhere you go if the phone is GSM and CDMA capable.

2. The iPhone 4 is currently 3G data capable for both carriers. No one knows for sure, but the iPhone 5 will most certainly be 4G capable. Verizon’s 4G LTE network is available now in 38 markets and in over 60 major airports, covering approximately 110 million people by the end of the year. They say they’re aggressively expanding to cover their existing nationwide 3G footprint with 4G LTE by the end of 2013. By contrast, AT&T’s 4G LTE network is not ready yet.

If you buy a Verizon iPhone now, it might be the best phone upgrade you’ve ever made, but I fear many Verizon customers will experience a severe case of buyer’s remorse later this summer when the iPhone 5 is announced and released. If it were me, I’d absolutely wait just a little while longer and see what is released this summer before laying down the cash and signing on the dotted line.

Buyers beware. ;)

eNcrypTioN

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2009
Some you really have some growing up to do. So sick of the fanboyism. Last time I checked none of you are on the payroll of Apple, At&t, or Verizon.

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
I have grown to believe that Apple intentionally keeps supplies short just to increase the hype which increases the demand. It is a good strategy if you know the demand is there and will last. It keeps it going longer and increases sells over the long term. People get happy just can get one or will jump on it weather or not they really want one.

Tim Cook has already said that is not true.

If he is lying, Apple is liable to be sued by investors, and he will be screwed by the SEC.

kenstee

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2005
Yes, it’s a great time to be a Verizon customer! Many customers have longed for the precious for a long time!

The allure of the iPhone is overwhelming – especially to those who may have never owned one. It's exciting to see it finally come to Verizon. However, I’d just hate to see all you Verizon early-adopters get burned when this latest and greatest leaves you all holding a two-year contract.

Consider carefully ... did you realize you'll probably be unable to upgrade to the iPhone 5 without paying full retail?

I wouldn't upgrade now if I were a Verizon customer. Why?

1. The iPhone 4 is the current model. Apple makes two versions now … one that has GSM technology (AT&T) and one CDMA version (Verizon). The new iPhone 5 will be announced this summer and released shortly thereafter. No one knows for sure what new features the new phone will have … but isn't it widely believed Apple will incorporate CDMA and GSM capability into one phone model? The advantages here are obvious for global travelers. You should theoretically be able to use the phone most anywhere you go if the phone is GSM and CDMA capable.

2. The iPhone 4 is currently 3G data capable for both carriers. No one knows for sure, but the iPhone 5 will most certainly be 4G capable. Verizon’s 4G LTE network is available now in 38 markets and in over 60 major airports, covering approximately 110 million people by the end of the year. They say they’re aggressively expanding to cover their existing nationwide 3G footprint with 4G LTE by the end of 2013. By contrast, AT&T’s 4G LTE network is not ready yet.

If you buy a Verizon iPhone now, it might be the best phone upgrade you’ve ever made, but I fear many Verizon customers will experience a severe case of buyer’s remorse later this summer when the iPhone 5 is announced and released. If it were me, I’d absolutely wait just a little while longer and see what is released this summer before laying down the cash and signing on the dotted line.

Buyers beware. ;)

Feel free to wait and then open your wallet very wide to pay that high data plan rate once the $30 Unlimited rate is discontinued very shortly. You do realize that don't you....Buyers of the 4 who take the unlimited plan will be way ahead of the game financially down-the-road. Make no mistake about it. The reality is you will have remorse what ever piece of equipment you buy. That's the nature of the beast.

caranddriver

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
SF Bay Area
After the fiasco that was ordering the ATT iPhone 4 on the first day, I expected Verizon to do better than ATT, but was worried. If the network is any indication, I think Verizon has a more robust IT infrastructure. Ordering for my father was fast and smooth. I assume that the 10th will be a bigger test, but they seemed to pass this first hurdle so far.

Remmnever

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2011

I've read on a few tech sites (tech crunch and engadget) that the Iphone 5 will also not have LTE. So if someone is waiting for an LTE Iphone they will be waiting until at least 2012. Supposedly the Iphone 5 will have GSM and CDMA capability but this personally doesn't appeal to me because I don't go out of the country. However I am interested in the rumored dual core processor for the 5.

Anyway I pre-ordered the 4 and I will also get the 5 if it comes out this summer because my other line will be available to upgrade then.

I don't believe Verizon and Apple are sold out yet, they probably just stopped pre orders so they can catch up for now. Only time will tell for sure.

beantownsfinest

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
Awwwww ... I really wanted and "End of Cycle" iPhone.

I don't think there are that many people who pre ordered the iphone 4 on verizon that won't pre order the iphone 5. End of Cycle or not its a good phone worth getting especially if your on verizon already.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Yeah let me just switch to vzw and their inferior 3G speeds. Their "3G" if you can even call it that, is as slow as att edge was on the first iPhone. Thanks but no thanks, also I'd prefer to continue using mywi when in a call, thank you very much. Also, i always find myself in situations when I need to look something up online while in a call, movie times for example. Maybe if I actually dropped calls on att, which I don't because their service is absolutely flawless in my area. I've been enjoying my iPhone 4 without issue for half a year now, but enjoy your almost outdated slow as balls iPhone vzw people, I'm still happy for you. :)

This thread is not talking about VZW v. AT&T. It's about the pre-order selling out. Stay on topic.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I agree. But I think the Sprint ads are the absolute worst of all the carrier TV commercials.
Oops.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Stay on topic.

Why? No one else is.

OP : Verizon Sells out in 17 hours.
ATT Fanboi: 17 hours? Wow, no demand for a crap network, I suppose.
Verizon Fanboi: What was that? SPEAK LOUDER you sound like you're in a tunnel.
ATT Fanboi: Sorry I put the phone down to check my e-mail, you know, at the same time.
Verizon Fanboi: Check your e-mail? How you gonna pull that off with no signal? I bet your pinky is in the air right now.
ATT Fanboi: Forget you!
Verizon Fanboi: Forget you too!
Android Fanboi: Hey guys......

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
I have grown to believe that Apple intentionally keeps supplies short just to increase the hype which increases the demand.

What a Preposterous notion. Let me get this straight...

People are clamoring to part with their money *now* and you refuse them?

LOL!

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
Also we may be late to the party but rest assured that VZW iphone customers will be happier.... Why you ask?? Because we can actually use the device!

Here we go again. ATT vs. VZ. It's Mac vs. PC all over again.

Give it a rest fanboy. I don't care which carrier you're on, iPhone reception depends entirely on where you live and what kind of flying critters crapped on the cell phone towers nearby.

It's a big country.

tsolt

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2011
Nevada
^^ Is correct.

Hey,...A new one will be out in a month or 2 and now your stuck in a TWO YEAR contract.

How about YOU face the Facts ;)

lol, and so what if your locked into a contract thats not going to stop people from paying full price. I know it wouldn't stop me

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
And what is your point? Verizon doesn't make these phones... Apple does..

Also we may be late to the party but rest assured that VZW iphone customers will be happier.... Why you ask?? Because we can actually use the device!

Rumor... Possibly, but as the rumor goes Apple offered Verizon first dibbs on iPhone back in 2007 but were rebuked! If rumor true, your late to the party thanks to Verizon and their brilliant management leadership!

And my friend uses her iPhone with no problems. Doesn't have a land line in her home and talks incessantly at home and while on the go!

So what's YOUR POINT?! :rolleyes:

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Congrats on waiting 4 years and counting to make a call :). How much is AT&T paying you again? Oh that's right NOTHING. Why are you such a shill then? Or is that your sole purpose in life.

They don't need to pay me anything I'm happy with my service and I can make calls fine. I'm glad you speak for all at&t customers and think you know exactly each persons experience tho. I make and receive calls fine, my data speeds are good so why would I switch to verizon?

reiggin

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2003
Concord, NC
Why? No one else is.

OP : Verizon Sells out in 17 hours.
ATT Fanboi: 17 hours? Wow, no demand for a crap network, I suppose.
Verizon Fanboi: What was that? SPEAK LOUDER you sound like you're in a tunnel.
ATT Fanboi: Sorry I put the phone down to check my e-mail, you know, at the same time.
Verizon Fanboi: Check your e-mail? How you gonna pull that off with no signal? I bet your pinky is in the air right now.
ATT Fanboi: Forget you!
Verizon Fanboi: Forget you too!
Android Fanboi: Hey guys......

Arn found this funny and so do I.

http://twitter.com/arnoldkim/status/33422583676276736

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Interesting how the At&t kids were saying that the V iphone will not sell out and how VZW website will crash within the first few minutes going live with teh launch... Its also Interesting to know that these same people that doubted VZW to announce the iphone on 1-11-2011...

At&t fanbois = Wrong...

I have the AT&T iPhone and I'm pleased to see that verizon customers bought so many preorders. They're all welcome to the ios family! No need to be a jerk.

whiteyanderson

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Hollywood, California
They don't need to pay me anything I'm happy with my service and I can make calls fine. I'm glad you speak for all at&t customers and think you know exactly each persons experience tho. I make and receive calls fine, my data speeds are good so why would I switch to verizon?

No, you're comments were ignorant- at best. If you can say things like that but you can't handle responses to your impish comments, then why start?

I mean, I understand your entire existence, identity and personality is tied to AT&T and your cell phone, and you must surely be proud of that. But why come into a thread titled "Verizon sold out of iPhones" and mouth off?

Really. What is the reason? You had nothing constructive to say did you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.