Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Played the free Motorfest trial for a good hour Friday night. Haven’t gone back since, maybe I‘ll play some more tonight before it expires. Don’t see myself buying it though.

It doesn’t really do anything wrong. It’s just not very…exciting?

Reactions: Donfor39

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I have been having fun playing the God Of War Ragnarok 3 hour game play demo on PSN Premium. Very good, on my launch PS4 lol.

Amishpriest

macrumors member
May 15, 2022
Montgomery Village, MD
I haven't been playing much of anything "new" lately. Started going through the Mega Man Legacy Collection on Switch, currently on Mega Man 2. Mega Man 1 was an...interesting game that I have no desire to experience ever again.

I'm also working on my backlog of Super Robot Wars games. Currently working through Super Robot Taisen OG 1 on the GBA via my Analogue Pocket (which is a wonderful device).

Reactions: philosophree

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
In preparation for the remake next year, I'm finally playing Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door. Three hours in oh my god it's so good. I now see what old school Paper Mario fans were talking about.

Seriously look at this image. It's hard to imagine this is a game made by Nintendo with how un-Nintendo the town of Rogueport looks, even straight up having a noose in the town square.

R.7e6524bdf68edcfb0b344a3ea2ec3590

Reactions: Amishpriest

Amishpriest

macrumors member
May 15, 2022
Montgomery Village, MD
Yeah, just that noose being there is pretty wild for Nintendo. I've been playing some of the original Paper Mario, and that holds up pretty well imo. I would hope that future entries after the Super Mario RPG and The Thousand-Year Door remakes are proper RPG's. I haven't played any of the more "recent" Paper Mario's, but I've not heard a lot of good things (though maybe Origami King is ok?).

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Yeah, just that noose being there is pretty wild for Nintendo. I've been playing some of the original Paper Mario, and that holds up pretty well imo. I would hope that future entries after the Super Mario RPG and The Thousand-Year Door remakes are proper RPG's. I haven't played any of the more "recent" Paper Mario's, but I've not heard a lot of good things (though maybe Origami King is ok?).

Ever since Paper Mario Sticker Star the series cut everything RPG related out, but worst of all the writing took a nosedive too. Any unique characters, gone. Any witty writing, also gone.

I'm sure you've probably seen this infamous image once or twice:

ecc.png

Or probably this famous rant by Nintendo Muppet Arlo, as this was the video that made him famous and his Youtube channel explode in subscribers:

Or Chuggaconroy's legendary hatred of Paper Mario Sticker Star, a hatred that runs deep to this day, to the point when the remake of TTYD got announced he buried his copy of Sticker Star into the muddy ground and left it there.

Even ignoring all the backwards design philosophies the modern Paper Mario games have done, Sticker Star and Color Splash weren't good games at all. It was more beneficial to avoid battles due to how badly they were designed. The only exception is Origami King, and even then it feels like it was being held back.

Amishpriest

macrumors member
May 15, 2022
Montgomery Village, MD
Funnily enough, I do have Sticker Star and Color Splash in my backlog. I do still have my 3DS and I still tecnically have my Wii U hooked up, but I haven't felt motivated to touch either one. Not sure why I picked either one up in the first place though I think Sticker Star I got at a significant discoutn. Probably going to disconnect my Wii U and put it into storage this weekend since at this point it's just taking up space, and I was only really playing VC stuff that I can play elsewhere more conveniently/easily.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I played the Foamstars Open Beta Party last night, and wow I did not think I'd love the game as much as I did these last two days. Having been a Splatoon player since the first game on Wii U, Foamstars is a breath of fresh air compared to how stale Splatoon's gotten recently.

I really hope the game succeeds as Splatoon desperately needs competition with how poor the updates have gotten, but since it's a Square Enix multiplayer game that doesn't spell good news for the game given Square's track record with their multiplayer games shutting down after a year.

View attachment 2286613

Last edited:

txa1265

Suspended
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I grabbed 'Fae Farm' for Switch ... a sort of cozy fantasy twist on the farm & village games. So far it is ... relaxing and cozy.

mtrm

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2013
Portugal
I haven’t played much lately, but I’ve recently finished Final Fantasy XVI and absolutely loved it. Best Final Fantasy since Final Fantasy X in my opinion, and gives me some hope for the future of the series after the debacle that XV was. Now I’m waiting Final Fantasy VII Rebirth and for (the rumoured) Final Fantasy IX Remake. Until then I’ll be trying to finish Tales of Arise which has been on my backlog for some time.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I'll admit to being a bit jealous of that S95C. I'm still working with a Sony X900H, but strongly considering OLED to replace it hopefully in the next year or two.

I do notice the difference between FALD (my previous Q9FN) and QDOLED mainly in videogames. It’s great; no reflections, plenty bright, colors pop a lot… Very happy with the purchase.

Amishpriest

macrumors member
May 15, 2022
Montgomery Village, MD
I tried Apple Arcade and have 2 more weeks left on my sub, but rather lose than play.
but was unimpressed with golf and baseball
arcade is years behind!
Yeah, I totally understand. There hasn't been a lot of games that have compelled me to regularly engage with the service...just keeping it around with my Apple One sub. Jeopardy has been fun, but I've only played that in short spurts.

I did try to get back into MLB The Show 23 on Switch this week...and then the servers went down (and I think they're still down?) making much of the game unplayable :(.

I've also gone back to various old Castlevania's in the collections on the Switch...mainly Castlevania 3, Super Castlevania 4 and Dracula X. I'm really bad at these games (always have been) and being on the wrong side of 40 isn't helping lol.

Reactions: MBAir2010

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Borderlands 3 , thought I’d give amara a try , wish I hadn’t bothered, the siren was usually the best character jn the first 2 games , in this she’s definitely the worst , virtually unplayable against bosses and just an annoying character with a really weird attitude

Knew I should’ve stuck with moze or zane …

Reactions: Macalicious2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.