Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
So far, this is all I need, but I'm always on the lookout for a useful tweak.

Activator
biteSMS
Bytafont
Iconoclasm
iFile
LockInfo 5
NCSettings
Springtomize 2
ThemeIconMaker (although it's not really working for me)
WeeKillBackground Pro
Winterboard

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Auxo
FakeClockUp (x1.6 setting)
BrowserChooser (Chrome)
Nitrous (amazing tweak and more than worth the paltry 69p)
BlurriedNCBackbackground
NCSettings
TypeStatus
BiteSMS (full license)

Runs like a dream, no dodgy repos installed.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I'm a noob and haven't fully discovered all if these great tweaks so this thread is super helpful.

So far only have..bite sms, PDA net, springtomize, and ifile. With springtomize having basically most of what I wanted I don't think I need or want much else.

Question for you guys..which is better? Gridlock or iconoclasm? And why?

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Cool. It's a good tweak. The memory aspect is just one of it's functions. I mainly use it for the respring/power options though. Oh! Tapping the graph free's memory by shutting down background apps!

Why don't you use NCSettings to respring/reboot? Is it simply because you prefer to have OmniStat installed for the memory aspects and just choose to use that to respring/reboot?

I always find it interesting how people tweak their devices. What one person loves to do might be the complete opposite of someone else. It's pretty cool. Ill have to post my tweaks soon. I have never posted my list in these threads haha

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Why don't you use NCSettings to respring/reboot? Is it simply because you prefer to have OmniStat installed for the memory aspects and just choose to use that to respring/reboot?

I always find it interesting how people tweak their devices. What one person loves to do might be the complete opposite of someone else. It's pretty cool. Ill have to post my tweaks soon. I have never posted my list in these threads haha
Yep, that's correct. I like OmniStat for the information it provides. It's default screen has the respring option on it while I'd have to scroll over for that with NC Settings (because I put other toggles in front of the Power toggle).

I'm lazy, so it's easier. :D

----------

I'm a noob and haven't fully discovered all if these great tweaks so this thread is super helpful.

So far only have..bite sms, PDA net, springtomize, and ifile. With springtomize having basically most of what I wanted I don't think I need or want much else.

Question for you guys..which is better? Gridlock or iconoclasm? And why?
IDK (Gridlock or Iconoclasm). I haven't ever used Iconoclasm. But I had a license for the old Gridlock so I bought Gridlock 2. Gridlock doesn't do anything else except allow you to put icons wherever you want. Iconoclasm, as I understand it allows you to actually customize a layout.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Webscrollian

I am surprised no one's mentioned it yet.
Also, is springboard 6.1 fix necessary if we're running 6.2?

So funny cause this is a really popular tweak but its just one of those packages that you forget you have installed because its such a minor, lightweight tweak. But the benefits are awesome! This is the one tweak I usually mention in these threads but its always overlooked. Funny enough, last night in another thread I mentioned WebScrollian and when I saw your post, I thought to myself "hey wait a second I already mentioned this!" Haha turns out if was a different thread.

A lot of people think it only works in safari but it actually works in all UIWebViews. Therefore it's pretty much system wide improvement since that's the most common way to display all the information in an app.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
3DBoard (fun fake 3D background)
Activator
CleverPin
Lockscreen Clock Hide
ColorKeyboard
f.lux (essential, on my mac too)
NCSettings (just in notification center right now)
Springtomize (covers what a dozen tweaks used to do)
Winterboard (duh)
biteSMS - definitive
foldericons (beta...)
gridlock 2
noDictation (no voice button on the keyboard, but siri still works)

that's basically it, and am pretty-much FINALLY settled into USING my iphone (as opposed to constantly customizing it)

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Accelerate
Activator
AdBlocker
AdBlockerNetworks
Airplane SBSettings
AlwaysClose
AntiTint
AnyLockApp (slightly buggy)
AppInfo
AppList
appslide
AppStore Update Size
AskToCall
Attachments+ for Mail
Bars
Bookmarks+ for Safari
Brightness Icons
BrightVol
Cyntact
DebianSaverLaunchDaemon
Delete Word
Diet Bar
DietBulletin
Dimmer
DisableNC+
DismissMyKeyboard
Display Recorder
Do Not Disturb Toggle
FaceDetectionVideo4S
Flashorama
Flex
FolderEnhancer
FullScreen for Safari
GridTab for Safari
Icon Renamer
IconRotator
iFile
KillBackground
LasApp
MobileTerminal
Monocle
MultiIconMover
Nitrous
NoSpot
OpenSSH
PDF Printer for Safari
Personal Hotspot SBSettings
Remove Badges
Rotation Inhibitor
Safari Download Enabler
SBRotator 6 (disabled: conflicts with FolderEnhancer)
SBSettings
ShowCase (slightly buggy)
SlideToMod
SMS Timestamps
Snes9x EX+
SpringFlash
SwipeSelection
SwipeShiftCaret
Tab+
TetherMe
Topography for Google Maps
UI Rotation for Activator
Universal Video Downloader
Webscrollian
WiFi Passwords
WinterBoard
3G Unrestrictor 5

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
IDK (Gridlock or Iconoclasm). I haven't ever used Iconoclasm. But I had a license for the old Gridlock so I bought Gridlock 2. Gridlock doesn't do anything else except allow you to put icons wherever you want. Iconoclasm, as I understand it allows you to actually customize a layout.

Thanks. I was wondering why gridlock is about $2 more than iconoclasm and all I could gather is that they both help in moving icons. lol Thanks for the help, I think I'll check out iconoclasm then.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Activator
akAuto3G
AppBackup
biteSMS
Blackout
CallBar
DietBar
DietBulletin
f.lux
iCleaner
iFile
lang2.2
Mobile Substrate
MobileTerminal
Nitrous
OpenSSH
ProTube (in conjunction with Open In ProTube)
RespringCacheFix
SimpleDate for NotificationCenter
Springtomize 2
SwipeSelection
Webscrollian
Zephyr

Edit: I guess my list is everything from Cydia, not just the tweaks installed on my device.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
F.lux is an amazingly under-rated tweak ... and it's free!

Completely agree. I've been using it forever and before it was available in Cydia I was using it on my computers. F.lux actually looks and works better on the iPhone than my computers. At least that's my opinion. Out of my list, I have about 5 that are "must have" tweaks and F.lux is one of the 5. I absolutely love it and recommend it to everyone who jailbreaks. At first they all usually say something like "I don't know about that, I think I'll find it annoying. I don't want a tinted, light orange screen!" Then a few days later I always get the text..."omg flux is the *****!" Hahah flux is simply amazing!

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Completely agree. I've been using it forever and before it was available in Cydia I was using it on my computers. F.lux actually looks and works better on the iPhone than my computers. At least that's my opinion. Out of my list, I have about 5 that are "must have" tweaks and F.lux is one of the 5. I absolutely love it and recommend it to everyone who jailbreaks. At first they all usually say something like "I don't know about that, I think I'll find it annoying. I don't want a tinted, light orange screen!" Then a few days later I always get the text..."omg flux is the *****!" Hahah flux is simply amazing!

exactly. took me a couple of days to NOT hate it on my mac; now i can't live without it. same thing on the phone...

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK

Yeah, when I'm sitting in my living room with a couple of lamps and the TV on, the Halogen setting is superb. It just takes the edge off the display, you can literally feel less strain in your eyes when viewing your iPhone.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
exactly. took me a couple of days to NOT hate it on my mac; now i can't live without it. same thing on the phone...

Haha yea that's exactly what my experience was too. I assume that's pretty normal. But once you use it a few days and you get used to it, it's so hard to stop using it. I always keep my brightness on full strength and I hate looking at my device late at night without flux. It makes such a difference to me. I can't say enough about it lol. And it's such a simple tweak! In my experience, usually the tiniest, most simplest tweaks have the biggest impact and are my favorites.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Haha yea that's exactly what my experience was too. I assume that's pretty normal. But once you use it a few days and you get used to it, it's so hard to stop using it. I always keep my brightness on full strength and I hate looking at my device late at night without flux. It makes such a difference to me. I can't say enough about it lol. And it's such a simple tweak! In my experience, usually the tiniest, most simplest tweaks have the biggest impact and are my favorites.

I combine F.lux with 50% brightness, so much more relaxing. :D

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, when I'm sitting in my living room with a couple of lamps and the TV on, the Halogen setting is superb. It just takes the edge off the display, you can literally feel less strain in your eyes when viewing your iPhone.

I used to use the halogen setting on my old 3GS but for the past year or so I've been using fluorescent. For me, I prefer the fluorescent setting on retina display devices.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I combine F.lux with 50% brightness, so much more relaxing. :D

I should clarify, I do lower the device brightness setting when I'm actually lying down in bed getting ready to fall asleep. But when I'm up and about, I leave it on full strength. I agree, flux with a lower brightness is way more relaxing. That's why I only do it when I'm in bed and then turn it back up full strength when I wake up in the morning. Plus if I check my phone to see the time in the middle of the night or when the alarm goes off and I'm waking up before sunrise, I NEED it on a very low setting otherwise it kills my eyes lol.

Edit: @WeegieMac...This is completely off topic but every time I see your avatar I am constantly reminded how freaking excited I am for the final half season of Breaking Bad! That's my favorite show of all time and nothing comes close. I just started The Wire because I've only heard incredible things similar to what people say about Breaking Bad. But as of right now, I like Breaking Bad more than The Wire. My point is, awesome avatar!

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England

I'm one of those who isn't sure about f.lux and I've had it on my MacBook Pro for a couple of months now. Sure, I notice the color difference at night when it switches to Halogen, but my eyes don't feel the difference. I guess the default screen lighting doesn't bother me. When I used evasi0n, I thought I would install f.lux on my phone. Now I'm leaning towards deleting it off my MBP instead. It does what it says, just might not be for me.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I should clarify, I do lower the device brightness setting when I'm actually lying down in bed getting ready to fall asleep. But when I'm up and about, I leave it on full strength. I agree, flux with a lower brightness is way more relaxing. That's why I only do it when I'm in bed and then turn it back up full strength when I wake up in the morning. Plus if I check my phone to see the time in the middle of the night or when the alarm goes off and I'm waking up before sunrise, I NEED it on a very low setting otherwise it kills my eyes lol.

Yeah, everyone knows that feeling when you've not turned the brightness down on a stock iPhone prior to going to sleep and when you wake up in the middle of the night, reach for your iPhone to check the time, you feel like you've just been blasted in the face with a searchlight. :D

Thanks to F.lux ... no longer an issue.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I used to use the halogen setting on my old 3GS but for the past year or so I've been using fluorescent. For me, I prefer the fluorescent setting on retina display devices.
I'm using the Candle setting on my iPhone. Unfortunately, for my Mac, I have a PowerPC Mac so I'm unable to run the latest version there. Still a way cool app though.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm one of those who isn't sure about f.lux and I've had it on my MacBook Pro for a couple of months now. Sure, I notice the color difference at night when it switches to Halogen, but my eyes don't feel the difference. I guess the default screen lighting doesn't bother me. When I used evasi0n, I thought I would install f.lux on my phone. Now I'm leaning towards deleting it off my MBP instead. It does what it says, just might not be for me.
Eye strain is just one part of f.lux. The proof of it working is how much easier it is for you to get to sleep after having used a device in which it's installed. If you've noticed that you are getting to sleep easier and faster after using your iPhone or your Mac then f.lux is working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.