Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I'm one of those who isn't sure about f.lux and I've had it on my MacBook Pro for a couple of months now. Sure, I notice the color difference at night when it switches to Halogen, but my eyes don't feel the difference. I guess the default screen lighting doesn't bother me. When I used evasi0n, I thought I would install f.lux on my phone. Now I'm leaning towards deleting it off my MBP instead. It does what it says, just might not be for me.

Yea I hear exactly what you're saying. I don't need it on my computers. I could live without it. But it makes such a big difference on my iPhone. I probably feel this way because typically your iPhone is much closer to your eyes than a desktop/laptop computer would be and therefore, has a much bigger impact on relieving eye strain. Pus my iPhone is always much brighter than my computer. I guess I just love to take advantage of that retina display! Haha At least that's my experience. I guess it would all depend on how close you sit from your computer monitor and how close you hold your phone to your face when using it plus what you typically use for a brightness setting.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Eye strain is just one part of f.lux. The proof of it working is how much easier it is for you to get to sleep after having used a device in which it's installed. If you've noticed that you are getting to sleep easier and faster after using your iPhone or your Mac then f.lux is working.

it's also softened the lighting IN my dreams... :D

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Eye strain is just one part of f.lux. The proof of it working is how much easier it is for you to get to sleep after having used a device in which it's installed. If you've noticed that you are getting to sleep easier and faster after using your iPhone or your Mac then f.lux is working.

Agreed. I'm on my iMac right now, Flux is set to Halogen (3400K) with 50% brightness, and I can feel my eyes getting heavy. As you say, eyestrain is only one part of F.lux ... the other main part, for me anyway, is that because your eyes feel less strain you have less VDU induced headaches and you actually feel yourself feel sleepy, sooner, so you don't sit up for longer than you should staring at a screen.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England

I haven't noticed a difference there, but that usually isn't a problem for me -- I have other problems. ;)

----------

Yea I hear exactly what you're saying. I don't need it on my computers. I could live without it. But it makes such a big difference on my iPhone. I probably feel this way because typically your iPhone is much closer to your eyes than a desktop/laptop computer would be and therefore, has a much bigger impact on relieving eye strain. Pus my iPhone is always much brighter than my computer. I guess I just love to take advantage of that retina display! Haha At least that's my experience. I guess it would all depend on how close you sit from your computer monitor and how close you hold your phone to your face when using it plus what you typically use for a brightness setting.

That makes alot of sense about having the phone closer to your eyes. Typically, at night I'm on my computer though. Still, maybe I'll give it a shot on my phone. Can't hurt to try.

----------

it's also softened the lighting in my dreams... :d

sold!

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Question for you guys..which is better? Gridlock or iconoclasm? And why?

Both. :D

Yes, I'm serious. Gridlock allows you to put your icons anywhere on your layout grid that you want, no blank icons needed for spacers. Iconoclasm allows you to use different layout grids. (And Iconoclasm Layout Maker allows you to make your own grids.)

For me, I typically run a 4 column, 6 row layout through Iconoclasm. That gives me 24 icon spaces to arrange the 12 icons I usually have on my primary springboard. Gridlock means I can rearrange those 12 icons in seconds to accommodate a different widget or show off a new wallpaper, without a respring between layouts. I used iBlanks for a while while waiting for Gridlock to update, and they were way more of a pain than they were worth.

On topic--I'm not going to list everything, because it's the weekend & I'm being lazy. ;) But here's what I can't live without (besides the two above):

BiteSMS (full license)
iBlacklist
Folder Enhancer
iFile
Music Controls Pro 6+
20 second lockscreen
SBSettings
5 Icon Dock
Winterboard
iWidgets (+MyLocation for GPS weather)
Color Keyboard (+ iMatte Ultrablack keyboard)

There's a lot more I run normally, but this is the stuff that if Apple would add to iOS, I wouldn't *have* to jailbreak. The first seven listed are all functional enhancements that are the ones I need to know are working before I'll upgrade my iOS.

chrisbetty

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2011
Typestatus
NcSettings
BiteSMS
Catalyst
Various tweaks from Flex
Bolt
Browser Changer
Infifolders
SubtleLock
Diet Bulletin

fizz7283

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
Activator
Bitesms
Browser chooser
Diet bulletin
F.lux
Lockdown pro
Ncsettings
Springtomize 2

These are the tweaks I couldn't live without. Especially f.lux, I can't speak highly enough of it. Since I've been using it, I no longer go to bed with and wake up with headaches. It has helped me so much. I can definitely say it is easily the number one reason I jailbreak these days. Apple should take note and implement something like this in future software updates. It benefits so many people.

Auxo

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2013
A³tweaks
Activator
Bitesms
Browser chooser
Diet bulletin
F.lux
Lockdown pro
Ncsettings
Springtomize 2

These are the tweaks I couldn't live without. Especially f.lux, I can't speak highly enough of it. Since I've been using it, I no longer go to bed with and wake up with headaches. It has helped me so much. I can definitely say it is easily the number one reason I jailbreak these days. Apple should take note and implement something like this in future software updates. It benefits so many people.

Weird. I can't take flux. I just don't like the look of that orange light.

fizz7283

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010

For the first few days it took some getting used to, but there's no way I could ever go back to the iPhone without f.lux installed.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Try this. Find a lamp and sit next to it. Compare your screen at your normal brightness with f.lux off and also with the various f.lux settings. See if glare is reduced for you.

Next test. Go in to a completely dark room and do the same test. See which one is easier on the eyes.

If in each test the answer is not f.lux, then it's not for you I guess. The whole point is not that f.lux is making the display orange (although it does that) it's negating the very strong blue light from the display. It's that blue light that interferes with sleep patterns and gives eye strain.

Auxo

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2013
A³tweaks
Try this. Find a lamp and sit next to it. Compare your screen at your normal brightness with f.lux off and also with the various f.lux settings. See if glare is reduced for you.

Next test. Go in to a completely dark room and do the same test. See which one is easier on the eyes.

If in each test the answer is not f.lux, then it's not for you I guess. The whole point is not that f.lux is making the display orange (although it does that) it's negating the very strong blue light from the display. It's that blue light that interferes with sleep patterns and gives eye strain.

I know, I know. Actually I prefer it on my PC.

But on my phone? No way. I'm against that. I want to keep my phone as stocklike as possible.

I just can't see the screen like that on my phone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

But on my phone? No way. I'm against that. I want to keep my phone as stocklike as possible.

No problem. It's like any other tweak or app, for some people it's great and for others it isn't. You do what works for you and if it works best on your PC - great.

This is what's wonderful about jailbreaking. You at least have the option to use something or not. A choice Apple refuses to give us.

Auxo

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2013
A³tweaks
No problem. It's like any other tweak or app, for some people it's great and for others it isn't. You do what works for you and if it works best on your PC - great.

This is what's wonderful about jailbreaking. You at least have the option to use something or not. A choice Apple refuses to give us.

True, true.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK

I don't see how using F.lux can be construed as being "un-stock like". I too like my iPhone as close to stock in appearance and have no love for the themes you see here. All F.lux does is manage the screen temperature in the evening.

Auxo

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2013
A³tweaks
I don't see how using F.lux can be construed as being "un-stock like". I too like my iPhone as close to stock in appearance and have no love for the themes you see here. All F.lux does is manage the screen temperature in the evening.

It's just that I've always seen the iPhone in that blueish color, you know. It's just .. different ?
I'm not liking it on the phone. Maybe I'm just stubborn but that's the way it is.

xchampx13

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2012
This is what im currently using(Changes sometimes made here and there):
Activator
AppCent
AppInfo (how I got list lol)
AutoLSMusicControls
Auxo
Bars
biteSMS
BrowserChooser
BytaFont
Color Keyboard
f.lux
Five Icon Dock
FolderEnhancer
GBA.emu
iFile
iWidgets
LockInfo 5
MultiIconMover
NCSettings
NoNewsIsGoodNews
NoSpot
Photo Organizer
PkgBackup
Popup Blocker
ResetAllKiller
Software Update Killer
Springtomize 2
Tab+
WiFi Passwords
WinterBoard
Zephyr
Zeppelin

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Both. :D

Yes, I'm serious. Gridlock allows you to put your icons anywhere on your layout grid that you want, no blank icons needed for spacers. Iconoclasm allows you to use different layout grids. (And Iconoclasm Layout Maker allows you to make your own grids.)

For me, I typically run a 4 column, 6 row layout through Iconoclasm. That gives me 24 icon spaces to arrange the 12 icons I usually have on my primary springboard. Gridlock means I can rearrange those 12 icons in seconds to accommodate a different widget or show off a new wallpaper, without a respring between layouts. I used iBlanks for a while while waiting for Gridlock to update, and they were way more of a pain than they were worth.

Thank you! That's useful info :) I haven't download either yet haven't had time but this helps knowing what others do with either.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Ultra scrolling of Safari and other web apps.

Flick the page up and ::BAM::!! You're suddenly toward the bottom of the page.

Super cool.

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
What if you are reading an article with Webscrollian? Can you not go paragraph by paragraph?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Color Keyboard (+ iMatte Ultrablack keyboard)

If you're referring to the iMatte v5 Color Keyboards profile, I concur!

Looks be-you-tee-full.

It comes my Ayecon theme.

Just tried out two new tweaks (well, new for my phone)
-Jelly Lock by Max Katzmann, a "final" beta

to install .deb, SSH it or download directly with Safari Download Manager, copy and paste it to the home folder on iFile, rename it to something easy to remember/type out like Jelly.deb and go into MobileTerminal and type all without quotes: "su" "alpine" (you have root access) then "dpkg -i Jelly.deb" (or whatever you named the deb), respring, voila! It isn't yet on BigBoss, wouldn't be surprised to see it there eventually though.

-TapDeWiggle (tap an open space area when icons are wiggling to stop them instead of home button)

2JWyHN9.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.