Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neddyteddy

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2013
I just read this entire tread and to put it bluntly, and I'll go ahead and apologize now, you've pretty much proven my theory about Mac users right. Macs are for idiots.

And what I mean, specifically, Macs are for Windows idiots.

Sure, less viruses blah blah blah but of course Windows will have more. It's a more widely used and compatible system, hands down. That's a no brainer. I have a lot of experience with Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8. Linux Mint and Ubuntu, and of course Mac in various flavors. I'm a hardcore, HARDCORE, Windows user. I abuse the heck out of my systems. Why? Because they can handle it.

That's not to say Mac can't but I've been a primary Windows user since 3.1 and I've never had an issue with malware, viruses, or "bugs" -- at least not bugs that I could control.

The problem for many of you, it would seem, is that you're too stupid to properly operate the compatible and expandable system that Windows provides. Probably visiting the wrong websites to download some piece of software or not getting the good (and often free) AV scanners with web shields, and many other variables to consider.

Again, I've never had any of the issues you guys have been complaining about here.

So use your Macs, they're great machines. No doubt about it. But I'll keep firing away at my Windows... gaming, using Office, and all the other joys that come with using the world's most used system.

This turned more into a flame reply and I apologize. It's not meant to be that way. But my point stands. Mac is obviously more for users who don't know what they're doing.

MyMac1976

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2013
I just read this entire tread and to put it bluntly, and I'll go ahead and apologize now, you've pretty much proven my theory about Mac users right. Macs are for idiots.

Sure, less viruses blah blah blah but of course Windows will have more. It's a more widely used and compatible system, hands down. That's a no brainer. I have a lot of experience with Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8. Linux Mint and Ubuntu, and of course Mac in various flavors. I'm a hardcore, HARDCORE, Windows user. I abuse the heck out of my systems. Why? Because they can handle it.

That's not to say Mac can't but I've been a primary Windows user since 3.1 and I've never had an issue with malware, viruses, or "bugs" -- at least not bugs that I could control.

The problem for many of you, it would seem, is that you're too stupid to properly operate the compatible and expandable system that Windows provides. Probably visiting the wrong websites to download some piece of software or not getting the good (and often free) AV scanners with web shields, and many other variables to consider.

Again, I've never had any of the issues you guys have been complaining about here.

So use your Macs, they're great machines. No doubt about it. But I'll keep firing away at my Windows... gaming, using Office, and all the other joys that come with using the world's most used system.

This turned more into a flame reply and I apologize. It's not meant to be that way. But my point stands. Mac is obviously more for users who don't know what they're doing.

Your post is a whole lotta meh..

People use what they want for various personal reasons some are shallow and some serious as a heart attack. People aren't going to post that they have a particular system cause their friends do or the HW is pretty but that is a reason and just as valid. Most computer users are stupid this isn't exclusive to Apple You run into stupid no matter where you hang out witness the Ubuntu forums where "smart" windows users come to show their brilliance. Like Forrest Gumps momma said "Stupid is as stupid does" that applies equally across the board.

People generally pick Mac because it isn't Windows.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
after soo many years of being a Apple fan boy ? Never in a million years....

The only reason why I use Parallels is to Windows-based games.... Thats all...

Hey. Windows is good for something, still, if nothing else :) (no pun intended)

JackHobbs

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2009
London
I moved from Windows 7 to Mac and am perfectly happy. It does what I want and does it seamlessly. The more I use Macs, the more comfortable I am with the OS. Unless things change dramatically in either Windows or Mac, I can't see me swapping back. However, this is a personal choice and I don't mind if someone else with different needs to me choses something different.:)

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013

Too stupid?

Actually I'm a long-time windows user, I don't dislike it at all (except 8,that's just a shiece of pit.) but I will say mac is more CPMPLEX!

It isn't easier, if anything windows is easier to use.

Everything on Mac is a bunch of hold this, this, and that then you can do this. A TON of shortcuts.

Then there's no "home" and "end" keys

I will say though, I do like OSX better, it's a more stable OS with fewer crashes.

I've had an imac for almost a year (January) and I've only had ONE time for the os to crash.

I'd have one time a day with windows...

MarvelouzV

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2013
Been using Microsoft since Windows 95. Had every version up to Windows 7.

I actually like Windows 7 and still have it on my main desktop. But Since 2005 I have been using Apple OSX and its ecosystem more and more and I can never see myself going back to Microsoft. SPECIALLY because of Windows 8 -- What a piece of *****.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
No...

I use Windows at work. Windows 7 is a huge improvement over previous OS. It's made work a lot less frustrating and that's all I need for the job.

That said, I love using Macs at home and as long as I can continue to.

I like keeping the OS separate. And it allows me be more tech saavy in my department (though not as much as I'd like if one goes by Mavericks.)

So for me to go completely Windows, no.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania

There was a time where I would have fought tooth and nail against that. But lately, I have to agree. I've used the Windows flavor of the week™ for years, never got a virus, and more importantly, never had to deal with BS such as unable to write to a network while on VPN.

Apple's becoming better and better at being "every man's" computer, but when it comes to doing stuff, each version of OS X gets worse and worse.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
There was a time where I would have fought tooth and nail against that. But lately, I have to agree. I've used the Windows flavor of the week™ for years, never got a virus, and more importantly, never had to deal with BS such as unable to write to a network while on VPN.

Apple's becoming better and better at being "every man's" computer, but when it comes to doing stuff, each version of OS X gets worse and worse.

They keep changing things for the worse and needlessly removing features from their interfaces and software.

iTunes is trash compared to what it used to be. They couldn't even leave the file system alone, let alone the standard view and column mode on devices. There's no need to have all artist folders loose in the same folder as Podcasts, Downloads etc... when they lived just fine in the Music folder previously. There's no need from some early September release to force Mobile Applications to live in [USER]/Music/iTunes when the rest of your library is on another drive.

The finder has lost the ability to have saved searches in the side bar in exchange for questionably useful tabbed windows (and subtle changes that make ALL my music software not work anymore, yet Mountain Lion 10.8.5 was fine).

If you never had these things to take for granted, they wouldn't be something you'd miss so I think Mac users getting sick of Apple changing things for the worse will soon understand why Windows users, dismayed by Windows 8 are switching to the Mac because they're sick of Windows and then be just as annoyed with a PC.

neilmacd

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
UK
I used to use XP at work but we've switched to OS X now. Being the IT guy, friends always ask me to look at their laptops, they nearly all have Windows 8. At home everything is OS X.

So my Windows experience recently has been XP or 8. Based on that there's not a chance in hell of switching back, regardless of how much OS X has changed.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Dunno, really. I'm behind the times on both sides of the field, (I use Snow Leopard and Tiger about evenly on the Mac side, Windows 7 on the other.) and pretty happy the way things are. 95% of my computing is done on OS X, and the other 5% on Windows 7 for games and certain applications.

However, if I were to have to choose between OS X 10.9 and Windows 8, I haven't a clue which one I'd prefer. I hate the direction Apple has been taking OS X; I have Lion on a rarely used iMac, and I can't stand it. Windows 8 seems to be a page ripped out of the same book, couldn't say for sure.

Realistically though, none of my Macs are capable of running anything beyond 10.7, and I don't see myself having the cash to spare to change that anytime in the near future; Windows, who knows. So right now, I don't see myself leaving the OS X platform, but that could almost literally change in an instant.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
I actually like Windows 7 and still have it on my main desktop. But Since 2005 I have been using Apple OSX and its ecosystem more and more and I can never see myself going back to Microsoft. SPECIALLY because of Windows 8 -- What a piece of *****.

I spent two hours slogging thru a Win 8 laptop setup for a Luddite friend of my brother's, and I thanked my lucky stars that I had the good sense to have switched to Macs in 2006, and I have not looked back.

I do use a Win 7 bootcamp partition on my MBP ---even like it, but it is just evil to unleash Windows 8 on poor, unsuspecting seniors like my brother's friend:(

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
In terms of price, hardware, and upgradability, I'm certainly considering a move to windows in my future. If apple won't let me upgrade a hard drive or RAM anymore, and expects me to spend $3k+ every two years, forget it. Razer blade 17" is looking pretty darn good ATM, even if it's expensive I can at least use it for a long while.

Renzatic

Suspended

I'm thinking about the same. I see horror stories all around here about having to deal with thousands of viruses, and do massive amounts of troubleshooting on a daily basis. And every time I see someone say this, I have to ask the same question...

What the hell are you people doing to your computers?

Hell, I've probably said it previously in this thread. It's been going on awhile, and I'm pretty sure I've posted in here before.

In about the roughly 12-13 odd years I've used Windows, I've had exactly one virus. Troubleshooting? Yeah, I've had to do it a few times, but it's hardly a common event. Most of the time I spend working on Windows directly is when I first install it, when I'm tweaking all the bits and pieces that need tweaking, and setting everything up the way I want. After that? Random Windows problems are a rare, rare thing for me.

I've never seen Windows corrupt a driver. I've only seen blue screens when a piece of hardware is going bad on me, which is a blue moon event. Registry issues? None. About the only problem I have with Windows are some UI decisions, and it's hoarder tendencies. But other than that?

...I dunno. Have I been really lucky all this time, or what?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I supported Windows environments for a living for 13 years from desktops, to servers, to development and media environments.

NEVER will I EVER switch back to that garbage. Ever.

ifonlyihad1

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
A galaxy far far away
Well, for me, I have used windows forever, and just bought a macbook pro, not to move away from windows, never had a real problem with any of the computer I owned or setup for friends. I just decided to do a change of pace, I am hoping it will be a fun time. I won't put windows on it, as I have a laptop and tablet that have windows 8.1 and they run fine and if I need to game, or do windows stuff, I will use those.

I always get a good laugh when I read these forums, fanboys on all sides, including the google group of giggles. I buy what I want based on what I want to buy. I will never say Apple is better than microsoft, ever. I am hoping my experience with the macbook will be a good one, and I am expecting it to be, but when 90% of the world is using a microsoft software product (can be found for Mac's as well), well, that tells you something.

Either way over priced hardware to run Mac software, or cheap hardware to run overpriced Windows software (unless you know sites). We pay no matter what!! :):):)

Enjoy your day folks. Remember, it's our money and we have the right to spend it on what we want.

:D:D:D

ppcg4mac

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Northwest Kansas
I had a mac as my first "real" computer. I loved that Powermac G4, and the eMacs i got to play around with. then I got a MBP, i loved that thing more, unfortunately to some family issues, my dad sold it. :(

I currently have switched back to windows, Mainly because my current computer is a old dell.
I still want another Mac, i just don't have the time or money.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
No, I don't think about switching back to Windows. I much prefer the look and feel of OS X. And with Alfred, OmniFocus, Code Runner, Chocolat, Transmit, and other mac-only apps that I use regularly, the decision is even more clear.

Viruses are a silly reason not to use Windows because you just need good judgment. Nod32 caught what my judgment missed. CCleaner kept everything running smoothly.

But nothing makes Windows as enjoyable or as nice-looking as OS X out of the box.

liynus

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2004
Win to Mac to Linux

Window is hardware flexible but a user interface nightmare. Even in Windows 7 I couldn't shut down my PC because it was updating itself for the millionth time. However it runs every program/piece of hardware you can throw at it. Which makes it cheap.

Mac is very usable. Sleek interface but costly. I've used it for a long time now 10 years. However recently I feel as if every upgrade abandons a lot of previous features that people have depended on. First Rosetta, then Carbon, and even with Maverick broken programs force you to upgrade (i'm looking at you VMWare). This coupled with Apple's increasing lock-in, with iApps, iTunes, iMessage, iPhone, iPad, iPhoto makes me wary about keeping all my data on their platform.

Playing around with Linux. It's still very flawed - hard to install comparatively, buggy user interface. However the potential is there, with so much open-source software really becoming much more friendly with usability. I feel the future is on Linux's side, at least for those who don't want to be boxed in. I also like geeking out on the Linux command line. It's powerful for sure.

Regardless it may be google who wins the war, since most of my interaction now a days depends on an internet connection in one way or another. Unless I am just writing a straight document (where an old PC box would suffice) you are using the internet likely through Chrome be it on your PC, Mac, or Linux box.

Just my 5 cents.

rainbowmagik

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2014
The fact that your thinking of switching back says to me that maybe a single computer platform isn't the approach you should take.

Why not use mac for your day to day and windows for your games. I use windows 7, 8.1, mac and various linuxes for lots of different things, each has its strengths and weaknesses and you can happily coexist with all of them.

Also I haven't had a virus on any of my personal windows machines since xp (I use eset smart security). Also, macs can get viruses too, they are slightly immune because of UNIX but at the end the day if you run code and that code is allowed to run then the computer will do as its told.

Scott M

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2009
My post will probably get lost in this battle of a thread, but here goes:

When I was 18, and just about to start a Uni (Media Production), my parents surprised me with a MacBook Pro (2008).

Before that, I had been a hardcore Windows fan. I never liked using the iMacs in my Photography lessons when in 6th form. So, whilst I appreciated the present, I was slightly concerned, because this meant I had to start using the MacBook, otherwise I'll disappoint my parents.

So it began, I transferred all my files from my Acer laptop to the MacBook Pro and went "cold turkey" on Windows and used my MacBook Pro for everything. At first, I couldn't get used to a few things, like the fact that there was no task bar at the bottom, and that MSN at the time didn't have webcam support for Macs. (MSN was big then, lol).

Fast forward 6 years.

I am hardcore Mac. I could never return to using a Windows computer as my main machine. I use Windows at work and it's horrible. I love my MacBook Pro.

It has so many features that I really miss when using Windows, especially the Trackpad swipes. Also, it says a lot that my 2008 MacBook pro still looks more modern and sleek than most of the Windows laptops out there. It's a timeless design. I love it.

SVT Amateur

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
Tyler, Texas
I remember first getting into computers back when Windows wasn't even that big - Dos was. In order to play games you would make sure Windows wasn't running because it was such a memory hog.

I then remember when Windows basically became the OS and I got used to it. In fact I liked it because I got so used to all the advanced things you would sometimes do in order to make Windows work in certain situations.

Then in 2006 we got a Macbook for my wife. I was still using a computer I built myself which ran Windows - but I was attracted to my wife's computer because it was just so simple to use. I didn't have to trouble shoot. I eventually got a MacBook Pro in 2007 or 2008 and haven't looked back since.

I still boot into Windows using Boot Camp, but Windows 8.1 reminds me nothing of the Windows I used to know. And I hate it - and not because it is so different - but because it is so non-intuitive. I still can't remember how to get to certain areas because they are placed in such awkward areas. And the supposed desktop and tablet experience they try to create makes no sense to me.

So I will still continue to boot into Windows for gaming - because gaming performance is definitely better in Windows - but once I'm done I immediately boot back into Mac OS X because the experience is just so much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.