Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twingo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2009
No. Never.
With Windows, i spent a lot of time with making the system work.
With Mac-Os, i am able to concentrate on my own work.

It was a lot of work to get my 2 needed Windows Programs to work trouble-free under Parallels in Coherence-modus. After this task was done, i did cut the internet connection of my virtual machine, so that Windows will never harm me again.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
I'm switching back for gaming.

Devs for some reason truly neglect the mac, plus some apple screwed up by not letting us change our own video cards (without spending an ABSURD AMOUNT On a mac pro) we are stuck with what the system has, which is terrible.

Apple should at least allow ram and video card installation for every desktop model.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I wouldn't say switch back, but rather use the platform that best fits my needs.

For instance, I find Office on windows vastly superior to OSX so I use that in windows. Likewise some other tasks. Where as I prefer certain apps like Aperture on OSX, so I have a dual boot setup on my Mac.

Some days I'm on OSX another I'm in windows.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I wouldn't say switch back, but rather use the platform that best fits my needs.

For instance, I find Office on windows vastly superior to OSX so I use that in windows. Likewise some other tasks. Where as I prefer certain apps like Aperture on OSX, so I have a dual boot setup on my Mac.

Some days I'm on OSX another I'm in windows.

Are you saying Office on Windows is better for you than Office on Mac? Or is it better than iWork?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
"Back"? Who's assuming they any of us completely left?!?!

:D

Are you saying Office on Windows is better for you than Office on Mac? Or is it better than iWork?

Alas, in the world of work, and many offices are equipped with antique machines which run on Windows. Thus, love it or not, this may not be a choice that many people are allowed to make for themselves.

Personally, on any personal computer of mine, I would never think of switching back to Windows.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV

Well, Office on Mac does not have Access. So I don't know if it translates to other programs, but that means no VBA coding. Access is pretty flexible considering it's a database program. I've used to to make programs for printing sheets with barcodes needed for film cameras to scan certain information, creating a program for tracking inventory, and other things. These aren't just databases with tables, but a simple GUI so users can easily find and manipulate data. There's even a library program for a person to scan film rolls in and out where I work. It's really useful when you're locked down to just basic privleges.

Alas, in the world of work, and many offices are equipped with antique machines which run on Windows. Thus, love it or not, this may not be a choice that many people are allowed to make for themselves.

Personally, on any personal computer of mine, I would never think of switching back to Windows.

There's that, but we're finally upgrading from XP to Win 8. I think in a large enterprise environment such as ares, Apple wouldn't ever be feasible without having a company like HP, who owns ESA. They lease machines, so we don't purchase. This will be the second refresh in probably 2-4 years. It's agency wide, but in out building alone that's probably about 500 computers that are getting replaced without the need to sell the old ones and purchase new ones. They're just provided in the contract with the 24-7 phone and location support.

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
I'm firmly entrenched in the OS X / iOS system, would only consider a Windows machine for gaming.

I have both Windows tower and a Mac Mini at my work desk, and while the Windows machine is much better spec'ed and faster, I still vastly prefer to deal with OS X day-to-day.

sophiamendezzz1

macrumors regular
May 20, 2014
Mac > PC

I've been a PC user for the majority of my life (elementary school, middle school, and high school). Then, I got into college and purchased my first macbook. Prior to having the macbook I was always buying new pc laptops because I was just having too many problems with it, especially the viruses. I've had my macbook since 2009 and yeah its slowing down and it's a little outdated but the design of my macbook is still really pretty and I dont have any major complaints about it at all. Paying almost double for a macbook seems like a lot but I've had it for 5 years and if I had a PC laptop, that would be 5 laptops I would have bought.

srminton

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2008
Windows has improved a lot since I gave up on it (at the time of Windows Vista), but I wouldn't switch back unless there was a really good reason (either problems with OS X, or something amazingly innovative from Microsoft). I still use Windows 7 in a virtual machine for some work things (VBA macros in Office, for example).

One thing which puts me off is the way that Microsoft fanboys can be so obnoxious, bellyaching about how you can only do Real Work with a Windows PC and so on. That and the fact that Microsoft still controls more than 90% of the PC market, and monopolies are always a Very Bad Thing. Those same fanboys always give the impression that they'll only be happy when everyone is using Windows for everything, all the time. It's very nauseating, and a world where everyone uses basically the same computer is depressing. It's ironical that the boot is on the other foot when it comes to phones and tablets, and I'd be more likely to get a Windows tablet than a PC.

Honestly, if not for Apple's resurgence in the last few years, we'd still be stuck with something not much better than Windows Vista. Microsoft got very lazy until Apple and Google began to mount a serious challenge (mainly on mobile, but that impacts the PC market too). Now they're doing some decent stuff (Windows 7 was a good OS, and the Surface has some good ideas). But no, it would take a lot more than that to make me switch again.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Yes, the windows version of office is superior to Office for the Mac, at least Excel is, as that is what I spend most of my time in.

Performance, tools, visually, etc.

Here's a list of excel omissions and difference I found.
• No pencil-and-eraser tools for selecting borders
• You may or may not be able to paste text from external applications into merged cells
• No MS SQL OLAP Cube access
• Less robust PivotTable functionality: no high-end features like Slicers or built-in database connectivity
• No PowerPivot add-on for large data sets
• Slightly different menu-item shortcuts due to differences is user interface conventions
• Pressing the slash key in Excel 2011 for Mac does not jump the focus to the menu bar
• Less support for plugins, in general

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I have no desire to go to Windows full time, or OS X or Linux for that matter. Windows 8 lasted about 10 minutes on my Vivobook before I got rid of it. I have not needed Windows in years, but I suppose I could get it running on a VM if I absolutely had to.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Yes, the windows version of office is superior to Office for the Mac, at least Excel is, as that is what I spend most of my time in.

Performance, tools, visually, etc.

Interesting. I was just curious what you thought. I don't use Office for Mac very much and when I do, it's just very basic stuff. But I like it a whole lot better than iWork.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Interesting. I was just curious what you thought. I don't use Office for Mac very much and when I do, it's just very basic stuff. But I like it a whole lot better than iWork.

I use spreadsheets a lot and inputting formulas and interacting with the spreadsheet is painful in Numbers, especially as they grow. Numbers is pretty poor in compatibility with excel as well so I cannot move back and forth. I have to work in Excel, and I found its just plain easier and better for me to use the windows version.

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
I am certainly looking at it.

My art workflow is CPU based and that isn't changing in the near future. None of the software I use is moving to OpenGL. It has been evaluated and found lacking. Not to mention the fact that just because Apple is pushing OpenCL today, it doesn't mean that Apple will support it tomorrow.

I need more computing horsepower and the nMP simply doesn't have it in comparisons to the current HP and Dell Xeon workstations. More horsepower for less money = sale.

As far as operating systems, neither OSX or Windows is as reliable as OS/2 was, so for me, that is a wash.

viizi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Oh heck, this is too easy.

Everybody here knows heavy gaming = WinTel

Nothing to see, move along.

sad thing is, most teens think a computer is and can only ever be a gaming machine. Their brain capacity cannot think past that to realise that their precious FPS lord of the battlefield games are made by people who work on computers.

----------

I am certainly looking at it.

My art workflow is CPU based and that isn't changing in the near future. None of the software I use is moving to OpenGL. It has been evaluated and found lacking. Not to mention the fact that just because Apple is pushing OpenCL today, it doesn't mean that Apple will support it tomorrow.

I need more computing horsepower and the nMP simply doesn't have it in comparisons to the current HP and Dell Xeon workstations. More horsepower for less money = sale.

As far as operating systems, neither OSX or Windows is as reliable as OS/2 was, so for me, that is a wash.

what software is involved in your workflow?

Pretty much 90% of the art software is covered across every platform. Even linux is getting love from The Foundry. 3Ds max is becoming more bloated each release while other 3d packages are growing stronger in popularity. I'd say it won't be long until 3ds max is out of its throne.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
sad thing is, most teens think a computer is and can only ever be a gaming machine. Their brain capacity cannot think past that to realise that their precious FPS lord of the battlefield games are made by people who work on computers.

1871lol_wut131.jpg

If somebody is buying a computer to play video games on, they're obviously going to choose the one that is best at it and more bang per penny.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
I'm going to trade iPad and MBA for a Surface Pro 3. And go for the first time in 27 years to Windows. Maybe there will be a way to make a Hackmac partition on it, but with the high end hardware (pen sensor, HD display) it will not work optimal.

viizi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
1871lol_wut131.jpg

If somebody is buying a computer to play video games on, they're obviously going to choose the one that is best at it and more bang per penny.

that wasn't my argument at all. I said that most teen gamers aka the ones who generally chant Apple hate the loudest are the ones who think computers are only for gaming. Look for any rant and you will see they claim they can game better, you never see I can do anything else better, it is always gaming as if gaming is the only thing that a computer can do.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
I'm going to trade iPad and MBA for a Surface Pro 3. And go for the first time in 27 years to Windows. Maybe there will be a way to make a Hackmac partition on it, but with the high end hardware (pen sensor, HD display) it will not work optimal.

I have both IPad and 2013 MBA; and I bought a Surface 2 early this year. The iPad gathers dust and the MBA occasionally is used around the house. The Surface sits by my TV chair for daily use and is the only device that leaves the house when I take more than my phone. It meets all my portable computing needs. :)

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I have both IPad and 2013 MBA; and I bought a Surface 2 early this year. The iPad gathers dust and the MBA occasionally is used around the house. The Surface sits by my TV chair for daily use and is the only device that leaves the house when I take more than my phone. It meets all my portable computing needs. :)

Can you outline why the Surface gets your prime use and not the iPad? I see the iPad as great, but a Surface Pro is a mini tablet computer, the iPad is a cutdown mini tablet computer. Its a few of these cutdowns that annoy me

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Can you outline why the Surface gets your prime use and not the iPad? I see the iPad as great, but a Surface Pro is a mini tablet computer, the iPad is a cutdown mini tablet computer. Its a few of these cutdowns that annoy me

Couple reasons, I travel on a motorcycle a lot, and camp at least one weekend a month. It makes it a lot easier to pack just the surface than both iPad and MBA that I used to carry. Other reasons include: pen, USB 3 port, IE 11 on Metro for me runs smoother than Safari, it connects with my GPS and runs Basecamp, Quicken, etc. ........ did I mention USB 3 and pen :D.

It's a personal thing but it seems whenever I was on my iPad I ended up getting my MBA to do something and had both within reach ....... with the Surface I don't get anything else :).

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Couple reasons, I travel on a motorcycle a lot, and camp at least one weekend a month. It makes it a lot easier to pack just the surface than both iPad and MBA that I used to carry. Other reasons include: pen, USB 3 port, IE 11 on Metro for me runs smoother than Safari, it connects with my GPS and runs Basecamp, Quicken, etc. ........ did I mention USB 3 and pen :D.

It's a personal thing but it seems whenever I was on my iPad I ended up getting my MBA to do something and had both within reach ....... with the Surface I don't get anything else :).

I hear you. I love my iPad Air, but I cannot access my WDTV server, thats an iOS issue. Other network apps no go, Filebrowser works though. iPad is a consumption device I expect it to act on a network as my PC and rMBP do, it doesn't. Cannot play non supported video in hardware acceleration. A guy on here gave me help to make some of that work. I should not have to make this stuff work. GRRR

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Yes. But only cause I don't have s desktop. In fact I'll be building a new PC for taking and make it so it dual boots Windows and Linux.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.