Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I just received my Rugged add on pack for my Seidio Innocase Surface case for iPhone 4. The Rugged is Seidio's answer to the Otterbox Defender, except that the inner most case is their standard Innocase Surface (a slider case). The concept is one system that can be used when needing minimal protection (just the inner slider case), or when maximum protection is needed (adding the outer layer plus hard plastic exoskeleton).

Quick summation...I like this case. It's a bit thicker than the Otterbox Defender, but on the other hand, it doesn't always have to be that thick. Pop the exoskeleton and the outer thick silicone off, and you're back down to a slider case. I'd say that this case is even more drop protection than that of the Defender, which is already way overkill as far as drop protection goes. In other words, with either case, I don't know of a drop that they couldn't sustain.

Pros:
-I really like the camera protecting flap that is on the case, and how it pins back when needing to take a pic. The only downside to that is that now, to use the flash as a flashlight, it's not as quick as just unlocking your phone and hitting your flashlight app. You'll also have to undo the cover as well.
-Amazing holster with this case! Very sturdy feeling, great clip in mechanism, and it also has a slide lock to keep the latch from accidentally releasing. As a bonus, the Otterbox Defender also fits in it perfectly (I hate the Defender holster)
-Not as much silicone exposed on the exterior of the case as the Defender. I love that the plastic exoskeleton covers most of the back of the device. I hate that the entire exterior of the Defender is silicone, as it attracts lint like crazy.

Cons:
-I'm not quite as big of a fan of this case's integrated port covers as I am those of the Defender, but they should still do the job of keeping any dirt, dust, or grit out of the headphone jack and dock connector.
-The vibrate switch is REALLY recessed! You are basically reaching through 2 cases to get to it. It's not too deep for me to get at, but for someone who keeps their nails cut very short, or has bigger fingers, it could pose a problem to get at.

Back View:
img1412l.jpg

With camera flap locked back:
img1413v.jpg

Front view:
img1411v.jpg

Deep vibrate switch cut-out:
img1414t.jpg

Compared to the Otterbox Defender:
img1415b.jpg

Holster:
img1416kz.jpg

Holster locking mechanism:
img1417r.jpg

Otterbox Defender fitting perfectly in Rugged holster!:
img1418g.jpg

Nicest feature of this case/system...with the removal of the exoskeleton and silicone (about 10 seconds to do), this is what you're left with:
img1419w.jpg

img1420za.jpg

By default, the inner case is black. If you order the Innocase seperately, as well as the Rugged add-on pack, you can pick any color Innocase you want (I chose green, obviously).

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Wow thanks for the review.

It's thicker you said than the otterbox?

In regards to the slider case... Currently I have full body clear-coat. I know pop on cases work for the most part such as speck candy shell. Will this slider case work with a full body protection product.

Marc

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Wow thanks for the review.

It's thicker you said than the otterbox?

In regards to the slider case... Currently I have full body clear-coat. I know pop on cases work for the most part such as speck candy shell. Will this slider case work with a full body protection product.

Marc

It is slightly thicker front to back than the Defender, yes. And as far as fitting with a full body protection kit, I do know that this (the Seidio Innocase) is one of the loosest fitting slider cases out there, and some say even too loose (read the longer Innocase thread regarding this). On a bare iPhone 4, the slider case is very loose. I have an SGP matte shield on the back of my iPhone, and an Stenheil crystal screen protector on the front, and it slides on very easily, and still has a little breathing room. I don't have shields on around the outside of my iPhone, however (the part of the full body kits that cover the antenna), so I can't comment on that. But, you could always try it, and at the very worst, have to remove the parts of the shield covering the antenna. I know the Innocase can accommodate very thick front and back shields with no problem.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
YES. FTMFW.

This is why I ordered the rugged add on pack. Thanks I needed the confirm.

:D You're welcome! It was just pure luck that I even tried the Defender in the holster, as I wasn't planning on it. I just noticed while taking the comparison pictures that the two cases were very close in thickness (again, the Rugged being slightly thicker), so I just gave it a whirl and snapped the Defender in there. Lo and behold, it went beautifully.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
For those that already have an Incase Slider, but would like this kind of protection at times, here's a little something interesting that I discovered today. The Rugged add-on kit (which is what I have for my Innocase slider) will work flawlessly on the Incase Slider as well! So you can have your choice of interior cases, either the Seidio Innocase, or the Incase Slider. The only very, very minor issue is that since the Incase is slightly thinner than the Innocase, the camera flap on the back is SLIGHTLY more loose when sealed (covering the camera). It still snaps shut like it's supposed to when covering the camera, but there is a little wiggle room. Very, very minor, and the flap still only comes open when you want it to (won't release by accident, even with the slight bit of play).

BDoggPrelude

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2009
Colorado
^^^I had my 3GS in one of these when I dropped it down about 15 or so metal stairs. It bounced off every single one then off the wall at the bottom of the stairs...didn't even turn off. :)

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Does it come with a screen cover like the Otterbox?

If you order the entire system off their website (not just the add-on like I did), it states that it comes with an adhesive style screen protector. But as far as the case having a built in screen protector, no, it does not.

BDoggPrelude

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2009
Colorado
If you order the entire system off their website (not just the add-on like I did), it states that it comes with an adhesive style screen protector. But as far as the case having a built in screen protector, no, it does not.
^^^Which I for one am very happy about. I never liked the built in screen protector on the Otterbox or the Rugged on my 3GS.

I received my Rugged in the mail today. Wow! I couldn't be any happier. Seidio really stepped up the quality from the 3GS version I had not so long ago. Really like the new camera flap. Stays open/shut properly, unlike on the older version where it just flops around all the time. It really is a much tighter package overall than the 3GS version too. I'm really satisfied. Thanks Seidio!!!

lonnielove

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Does the geen inner part bubble up any of the screen protectors when you slide it on??? kinda what the incase slider does to all screen protectors?

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Does the geen inner part bubble up any of the screen protectors when you slide it on??? kinda what the incase slider does to all screen protectors?

No, not at all. At least mine doesn't. If you read the Seidio Innocase thread (which is what the green inner case is), you'll see that Seidio left the slider case very loose (at least on a bare iPhone), which leaves clearance for front and back shields. I have an SGP matte back shield on mine, and a crystal screen protector installed, and the case still slides on and off perfectly. I like that they left the case a little loose to make room for this.

BDoggPrelude

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2009
Colorado
So after having my Rugged case for 2 days I have two complaints.

One, there's definitely some flash washout. Not really all that surprising given the thickness of the case and how deep the camera sits in it. If you put a divider in between the camera and flash on the outer case I think it would obstruct the picture. Not a big deal for me since I really only use the flash as a flashlight.

Two, the case is not compatible with my Seidio Innodock Jr. I've had this dock since I first got my 3GS. It says on the website that it's not compatible with the Rugged but it worked fine with the Rugged on my 3GS.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
So after having my Rugged case for 2 days I have two complaints.

One, there's definitely some flash washout. Not really all that surprising given the thickness of the case and how deep the camera sits in it. If you put a divider in between the camera and flash on the outer case I think it would obstruct the picture. Not a big deal for me since I really only use the flash as a flashlight.

Two, the case is not compatible with my Seidio Innodock Jr. I've had this dock since I first got my 3GS. It says on the website that it's not compatible with the Rugged but it worked fine with the Rugged on my 3GS.

Thanks. Maybe that's why the defender is made the way it is? If the defender had a gasket for camera and flash I would probably go for the defender as I get a huge discount at the att store through my employer discount.

Marc

Sulaco

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2010
Hi, the otter box has all buttons etc covered. Do any of you have / forsee problems with the fact the Innocase has a permanent cut out for the mute switch? I appreciate neither case is 'waterproof' but what do consider chances of dirt / water egress? Obviously neither case is 'pretty'. However if getting one, best to choose the 'best'. Thanks!

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Hi, the otter box has all buttons etc covered. Do any of you have / forsee problems with the fact the Innocase has a permanent cut out for the mute switch? I appreciate neither case is 'waterproof' but what do consider chances of dirt / water egress? Obviously neither case is 'pretty'. However if getting one, best to choose the 'best'. Thanks!

I actually like the fact that the mute button is uncovered. It's easier access to it (I use the button a lot), so I don't have to keep opening and closing that irritating flap. Plus, on the Otterbox's silicone, the area attaching to the little flap is very thin/weak, and I could see it potentially ripping off, or even stretching the silicone around the flap over time, since the whole silicone cover gives on that side to operate the flap. Like you said, neither case is even remotely waterproof/water resistant (the Otterbox for iPhone 4 is even less water resistant than the one they made for iPhone 3GS), so it doesn't matter as far a moisture entry is concerned. That's my opinion, at least.

My advice would be: if you think you'll leave the phone in the full, max protection casing all the time, get the Otterbox Defender. It was designed for this, and is a little bit better (usability wise) than the full-on Rugged case in this regard. But if you would be swapping between naked/minimal protection and a max protection case a lot, get the Seidio Rugged. It's designed as the best compromise between the two. It'd be the equivalent of getting the Otterbox Defender for heavy duty, and the Otterbox Commuter for light, and constantly swapping out between the two.

Sulaco

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2010
Thanks Chris, does the Innocase have any felt lining like the otterbox, or is it 'just' rubber? Also you spoke previously of a 'longer' review. Could you post a link? I'm waiting on a Vapor, however after yours, and White/Rhinos posts I'm really liking this case, talk about chalk and cheese. A friend has an otterbox for his 3Gs, he says it's water proof. From what you said I hope he never has to count on that. If the Innocase has no lining do you feel the phone will be 'scratched by the case' I've seen that happen before to 3's. Any away thanks for your help / advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.