Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
So I finally got my SIM cutter and loaded it with my MiFi SIM. I tried and was very meticulous that only the plastic was in cut out part of the cutter. But after a big, steady push and the SIM popping out, it worked. However upon examination, the microsim was noticeably cut on the bottom. Not big, but maybe 1mm was cut and a part of it was left on the larger SIM cutout. However, thankfully it worked with my new iPad and that's all that matters. But I was crossing everything I could to hope it would work. I'm just hoping that it won't have any long term side effects, so to speak. Though, I haven't tried to put it back in my MiFi.

Anyway, I'm planning to keep the MiFi SIM in the new iPad indefinitely, after I cancel the prepaid vzw iPad plan. Since the iPad is a hotspot, for MY purposes it works just as well. I still have 15mos left that's why I still have MiFi. I checked online since I couldn't through my new iPad when the MiFi SIM was in. It showed my usage and changed my equipment to the new iPad. The MiFi jet pack was removed, which I believe would be added if I reinsert the SIM in its original location.

Is there anything wrong with what I'm doing in regards to VZW TOS? Is it wise to do this or wrong? One way im saving money, the other im not.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
if i move the micro sim to the verizon 4g lte, can i move the sim back to my phone and use it normally again?

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Also, will I be experiencing any issues for the SIM card that I accidentally cut (<1mm) at the bottom. It still works, it's detected and can browse and all that. Just don't know if it will do anything regarding my speed or anything else.

Is there a limit to how long you can do this switch? I hope not, especially because I switched it from a data only device and not a phone.

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
Confirmation

I'll be getting my VZN iPad soon, and I'd like to confirm a few things to make sure I'm doing it right...

- I have Verizon and 2 iPhones under an unlimited data plan.

- I plan on either going to a B&M VZN store or looking online to purchase a VZN 4G/LTE microsim. Question: What current phones in the VZN 4GLTE lineup use microsims? Will this work?

- Call to activate the micro sim on its own (1-877-807-4646)

- Pop into the new iPad.

- Adjust the carrier settings:
iPhone configuration Tool- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUnPQ68DNO8

APN settings- https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/347794

4G LTE GSM General Device Settings-
Phone Number: PhoneNumber
Account name: PhoneNumber@vzw4g.com
Password: vzw

Advanced Settings-
Carrier: Generic
Model: GPRS (GSM/3G)
APN: vzwinternet
CID: 1

I should have unlimited data, with hotspot availability on my new iPad at this point, right? Are there any steps that I'm missing?

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
I'll be getting my VZN iPad soon, and I'd like to confirm a few things to make sure I'm doing it right...

- I have Verizon and 2 iPhones under an unlimited data plan.

- I plan on either going to a B&M VZN store or looking online to purchase a VZN 4G/LTE microsim. Question: What current phones in the VZN 4GLTE lineup use microsims? Will this work?

- Call to activate the micro sim on its own (1-877-807-4646)

- Pop into the new iPad.

- Adjust the carrier settings:

I should have unlimited data, with hotspot availability on my new iPad at this point, right? Are there any steps that I'm missing?

I see you've read my posts. You've got it mostly right except the carrier settings its not required. Get a microsim, call Verizon *611 and tell them your changing a line to a 4g phone but don't have it yet, after which call that 877 number and tell them you have a sim card to activate, give them the number from the sim card after that wait a few for activation put it in the iPad, go under settings/general/reset subscriber services and reprovision. Make sure you Turn off messaging when you are switching your phone to a "4g phone", don't want to be paying for something you can't use.

Ask Verizon to send you a microsim your looking at a few phones that use them they give you one for free.

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
I see you've read my posts. You've got it mostly right except the carrier settings its not required. Get a microsim, call Verizon *611 and tell them your changing a line to a 4g phone but don't have it yet, after which call that 877 number and tell them you have a sim card to activate, give them the number from the sim card after that wait a few for activation put it in the iPad, go under settings/general/reset subscriber services and reprovision. Make sure you Turn off messaging when you are switching your phone to a "4g phone", don't want to be paying for something you can't use.

Yup, heh, your posts have been very helpful, thanks.

I don't have any non-iPhone line, so I'd be adding a new line completely (I'm assuming for $9.99/month?). If I go to a B&M store, will they just give me a new microSIM if I tell them that I bought a new 4GLTE phone online?

Oh, just saw your edit. Thanks!

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
I went to a Verizon store and they would not activate a micro-sim for me unless I bring the phone to them.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
I went to a Verizon store and they would not activate a micro-sim for me unless I bring the phone to them.

Call the above 877 number keep trying until you get one that activates it.

----------

Yup, heh, your posts have been very helpful, thanks.

I don't have any non-iPhone line, so I'd be adding a new line completely (I'm assuming for $9.99/month?). If I go to a B&M store, will they just give me a new microSIM if I tell them that I bought a new 4GLTE phone online?

Oh, just saw your edit. Thanks!

If your adding a new line for your iPhone it'll be a $30 2gb plan plus 9.99 for the added line so $40 plus taxes stuff.

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
Call the above 877 number keep trying until you get one that activates it.

How reliable is this? Do you think they are telling their CS reps not to do it without a device? Would they activate the SIM in the B&M store?

----------
If your adding a new line for your iPhone it'll be a $30 2gb plan plus 9.99 for the added line so $40 plus taxes stuff.

I see. I'm wondering if it would be better to just add a real phone line and then switching out the SIM. Or do you not think it would matter either way?

Last edited:

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
Tempted to do this...the only drawback I see is that if I want to "cancel" my unlimited data plan I have to get rid of the new line and switch back to my old number.

In other words...I would have to switch my old number to the ipad, switch to my new number, and then if I don't want to pay for the iPad data any more I have to switch back to my old number.

Unless there's some way to switch the unlimited data plan to a new number...which I don't think there is.

Question: to those with unlimited LTE data on the iPad, do you use it as a hotspot ALL the time? How useful is the unlimited data, really?

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
How reliable is this? Do you think they are telling their CS reps not to do it without a device? Would they activate the SIM in the B&M store?

----------

I see. I'm wondering if it would be better to just add a real phone line and then switching out the SIM. Or do you not think it would matter either way?

I had tried this at a B&M(long back story to explain) and they seemed clueless.. really clueless honestly as they were telling me if I added line to my family plan(im providing the phone) that it would required a 2 year contract, which it doesn't. Unless you got someone that's experienced at the store that has a brain. :-\ Thats why I suggest over the phone because all you do is hangup call again until you get someone who knows what to do. and considering the CSR over the phone get more customers than a B&M CSR does.

As the poster above mentions you will lose your number to the ipad. I use google voice so it was no lose to me but might be a deal breaker for some people.

The process is practically the same way as getting a new phone but you're doing it before you get the new "4g phone" because you are giving your old phone to someone else on your plan.

----------

Tempted to do this...the only drawback I see is that if I want to "cancel" my unlimited data plan I have to get rid of the new line and switch back to my old number.

In other words...I would have to switch my old number to the ipad, switch to my new number, and then if I don't want to pay for the iPad data any more I have to switch back to my old number.

Unless there's some way to switch the unlimited data plan to a new number...which I don't think there is.

Question: to those with unlimited LTE data on the iPad, do you use it as a hotspot ALL the time? How useful is the unlimited data, really?

I've used my hotspot feature a few times it does work and I get the same speed the ipad would get with a speedtest. But I noticed the hotspots turns off automatically but i do believe if you charge it at teh same time it "should" stay on.

As for usefulness while I'm at work I could watch a movie, tv show or listen to music whenever and not have to worry about "am i over my limit" it's there when I need it as convenience. My billing cycle has already switch for me and having used the ipad for 13 out of 31 days so far and i have used 2.4GB. So assuming trend by end of month I will have used 5GB basically with "normal" usage.

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
I had tried this at a B&M(long back story to explain) and they seemed clueless.. really clueless honestly as they were telling me if I added line to my family plan(im providing the phone) that it would required a 2 year contract, which it doesn't. Unless you got someone that's experienced at the store that has a brain. :-\ Thats why I suggest over the phone because all you do is hangup call again until you get someone who knows what to do. and considering the CSR over the phone get more customers than a B&M CSR does.

As the poster above mentions you will lose your number to the ipad. I use google voice so it was no lose to me but might be a deal breaker for some people.

The process is practically the same way as getting a new phone but you're doing it before you get the new "4g phone" because you are giving your old phone to someone else on your plan.

Gotcha. Well, I'm gonna go to a B&M tomorrow, and I'll report back on what happens. Thanks again, Tortri.

fazox

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2007
Will Verizon still charge you for the phone portion of your plan after the sim card is activated and in use by the iPad, even though you can't make calls and will only be using the data?

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
So, I guess what I didn't realize was that I have to currently have an existing line (that I can spare) that has unlimited data on it in order to grandfather it into a new device.

Basically, I have a family plan with 2 iPhones (unlimited), but only those 2 lines are capable of grandfathering into an unlimited plan. So, since I can't spare either of those numbers, I think I'm stuck...

Any suggestions on how I could add an unlimited line to my existing plan?

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007

Can you add a 3rd line and swap phone numbers? That way your new line would be grandfathered and your voice line would have the limited data.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
So, I guess what I didn't realize was that I have to currently have an existing line (that I can spare) that has unlimited data on it in order to grandfather it into a new device.

Basically, I have a family plan with 2 iPhones (unlimited), but only those 2 lines are capable of grandfathering into an unlimited plan. So, since I can't spare either of those numbers, I think I'm stuck...

Verizon doesn't do it any more, only way I can think of is buying an unlimited from eBay or Craigslist.

----------

Will Verizon still charge you for the phone portion of your plan after the sim card is activated and in use by the iPad, even though you can't make calls and will only be using the data?

Correct, you are paying for a phone plan that's not on a phone.

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
Can you add a 3rd line and swap phone numbers? That way your new line would be grandfathered and your voice line would have the limited data.

That is exactly what I'd have to do.

Although, I went through my data usage over the past few months, and my wife has never gone over 1GB. So, I could take the unlimited line, "upgrade" to a 4G/LTE phone, give my wife a new iPhone line with tiered data...

Now the question is: will she be willing to change her number? :confused:

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
So I have a Verizon Pantech Breakout LTE phone (on an unlimited data line), which uses a normal sized SIM. I took the stock micro sim from my Verizon iPad 4G LTE (TIP: push your sim removal tool at a 45 degree angle) and used it as a template to cut down the normal sized SIM. I popped the newly cut sim back into the iPad, navigated to general => reset => subscriber services => reprovision account. I now have unlimited data on my iPad! When I logged into my VZW online account, my device has changed to the iPad.

Before I did all this, I enabled call forwarding on the Verizon line to my ATT iPhone 4S so that I can still take advantage of the voice plan. I was wondering if there is a cheaper voice plan than the $39.99 450 min. on LTE phones?

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
I've finally figured it all out. Chatted with a very helpful online rep today...(finally a good one!)

Basically, I'll activate a new device on top of one of my existing lines that has unlimited data. Then, switch the new device with unlimited data to a new number and bring my old device back to the original number.

Then, I have 3 lines (2 iPhones, 1 iPad), with 1 iPhone and 1 iPad on unlimited data, and the other iPhone on limited data.

Seems so simple...now that I've typed it all out...

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
I've finally figured it all out. Chatted with a very helpful online rep today...(finally a good one!)

Basically, I'll activate a new device on top of one of my existing lines that has unlimited data. Then, switch the new device with unlimited data to a new number and bring my old device back to the original number.

Then, I have 3 lines (2 iPhones, 1 iPad), with 1 iPhone and 1 iPad on unlimited data, and the other iPhone on limited data.

Seems so simple...now that I've typed it all out...

So are you saying you can transfer your old number (unlimited data number) to a new device, then use your old unlimited data plan with a NEW number on your ipad?

In other words...

iPhone 4S unlimited data on XXX-XXX-XXX1 number. Transfer that plan to iPad 2 on new number. Open new account and transfer my old XXX-XXX-XXX1 number to the new account and use it on the iPhone 4S with new plan. Thus keeping my old number and putting it on a tiered plan while transfering the existing data plan to my iPad.

Make sense..? Clear as mud?

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
I didn't realize it's possible to do that on Verizon. I know AT&T doesn't allow you to swap phone numbers between an unlimited line and a limited line.

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
Make sense..? Clear as mud?

lol, absolutely, crystal...

Anyway, running into a new issue. In the B&M they're saying that they won't activate a new SIM (or even give me a new SIM) without the MEID, but I guess I should just keep trying?

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
lol, absolutely, crystal...

Anyway, running into a new issue. In the B&M they're saying that they won't activate a new SIM (or even give me a new SIM) without the MEID, but I guess I should just keep trying?

I got the same thing. You can buy one off ebay for $6.00 (which I did) or keep calling. I chose to buy one off eBay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.