Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Wi-Fi calling still not enabled for iPhone 5.

It'll be really disappointing if Apple intentionally chooses to exclude this feature from the iPhone 5, which (AFAIK) has no technical limitation for excluding the feature.

Are you sure about that? I read from somewhere, I don't remember where, that Wi-Fi Calling utilizes cellular chipset to do heavy lifting. iPhone 5c uses different cellular chipset than iPhone 5, which could explain why 5 lacks Wi-Fi calling.

DMaki650

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Rhinelander, WI
Are you sure about that? I read from somewhere, I don't remember where, that Wi-Fi Calling utilizes cellular chipset to do heavy lifting. iPhone 5c uses different cellular chipset than iPhone 5, which could explain why 5 lacks Wi-Fi calling.

You are right, T-mobile's wifi calling requires a special chip to enable this feature. The 5 was made before it headed to T-Mobile which explains why it does not have Wifi Calling.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri

It's not enabled on the 5C, either (which for all intents and purposes is the 5 in a pretty color shell). Just the 5S.

If they enable it for the 5C, then we'll know that its just an arbitrary software limitation.

You are right, T-mobile's wifi calling requires a special chip to enable this feature. The 5 was made before it headed to T-Mobile which explains why it does not have Wifi Calling.

The 5 was revised for T-Mobile, though, when they finally got the iPhone and contains the same chipset as the 5C. If they make Wi-Fi calling available for the 5C, then it's an arbitrary software limitation.

cariacou

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
It's not enabled on the 5C, either (which for all intents and purposes is the 5 in a pretty color shell). Just the 5S.

If they enable it for the 5C, then we'll know that its just an arbitrary software limitation.

The 5 was revised for T-Mobile, though, when they finally got the iPhone and contains the same chipset as the 5C. If they make Wi-Fi calling available for the 5C, then it's an arbitrary software limitation.

It is enabled on the 5c. You can find screenshots in this thread

jlefkowitz99

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2014
ugh! i have the t-mobile prepaid 80$ plan and i cannot use this! i need this because i have terrible service in my apartment...

cariacou

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
it is working !!

T-mobile changed their network and now my $30 prepaid account can register to wifi calling.

I don't see T-mobile Wifi as carrier yet.

will try to make tests in the next hour.

----------

update: it is working !

I updated the 1st post.

Airplane mode+wifi can now call and send SMS !!!

how exciting !

bye bye google voice

Last edited:

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
it is working !!

T-mobile changed their network and now my $30 prepaid account can register to wifi calling.

I don't see T-mobile Wifi as carrier yet.

will try to make tests in the next hour.

----------

update: it is working !

I updated the 1st post.

Airplane mode+wifi can now call and send SMS !!!

how exciting !

bye bye google voice

[url=http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/18/61/10/67/tmowif10.png]Image[/url]
Great, I will put my $30 sim back in my Verizon 5s and try it again.

Adamx

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
T-Mobile prepaid Wi-fi Calling Confirmed here as well!

Iphone 5S - Ios8 Beta 5 - T-Mobile $50 Prepaid Plan!

Finally! :)

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
Did this change recently? Because I remeber trying to activate wifi calling and it would tell me I would need to call customer service to activate it.

I'm on the $30 Walmart plan

I checked today and wifi calling works!!!!

Got the wifi calling on the status bar next to the T-Mobile carrier

Attachments

• unknown.png
    unknown.png
    684.1 KB · Views: 187

bbbc

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
Are any of you using the Wi-Fi Calling with a 5S A1533 CDMA (Verizon) on T-Mobile's network (TMO SIM)?

Last edited:

cariacou

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
Are any of you using the Wi-Fi Calling with a 5S A1533 CDMA (Verizon) on T-Mobile's network (TMO SIM)?

Hardware wise They are exactly the same phone.

Should make no difderence

AirlancerMZ

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2014
I find this a little confusing. I am using a 5c on T-Mobile in Germany. Wifi calling works fine in connection with my Macbook Air. As far as I understand this is a continuity feature using bluetooth and or WIFI in order to transfer the call forth and back. The actual call is still done through the iPhones cellular connection. The wifi is only used to transfer the call within your own wifi network. At least that is how it works here in Germany on my private wifi connection. Now the confusing part: Why would the carrier have anything to do with this feature, as the carrier probbaly does not even know if the call is actually being taken an a macbook or imac?

Or am I completely wrong and you guys talk about actual wifi calling, independent from a cell phone connection?

cariacou

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
I find this a little confusing. I am using a 5c on T-Mobile in Germany. Wifi calling works fine in connection with my Macbook Air. As far as I understand this is a continuity feature using bluetooth and or WIFI in order to transfer the call forth and back. The actual call is still done through the iPhones cellular connection. The wifi is only used to transfer the call within your own wifi network. At least that is how it works here in Germany on my private wifi connection. Now the confusing part: Why would the carrier have anything to do with this feature, as the carrier probbaly does not even know if the call is actually being taken an a macbook or imac?

Or am I completely wrong and you guys talk about actual wifi calling, independent from a cell phone connection?

you're talking about continuity.
Wi-Fi calling is a totally different thing

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008

No, this is making calls and SMS directly over wifi instead of using the cellular connection. It has nothing to do with Continuity. It's a carrier-specific feature. T-Mobile US has long had this feature with Blackerry, Android and some Windows phone devices. It is also called UMA or GMA.

This allows people with enabled devices to make calls and use SMS in places with weak or no cell signal as long as there is wifi. It also lets people use calls and SMS while traveling internationally as if they were still in the US.

coalchamber1022

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2010
For what its worth

I live on the edge of T-Mo's 2g network and get really crappy call quality in my house. I had turned on wifi calling but since I did get 2-3 bars here and there in my house the wifi calling never quite kicked in. It would come in and out occasionally but never stay on.

There needs to be a simple line of code added by apple or T-Mo that if I am connected to wifi and wifi calling is enabled then keep me on T-Mo wifi unless the wifi signal is crappier than the cell signal.

The only way that keeps wifi calling enabled in house is to throw the phone into airplane mode + wifi then it will always be wifi calling which is what I want when Im at the house.

cariacou

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
I live on the edge of T-Mo's 2g network and get really crappy call quality in my house. I had turned on wifi calling but since I did get 2-3 bars here and there in my house the wifi calling never quite kicked in. It would come in and out occasionally but never stay on.

There needs to be a simple line of code added by apple or T-Mo that if I am connected to wifi and wifi calling is enabled then keep me on T-Mo wifi unless the wifi signal is crappier than the cell signal.

The only way that keeps wifi calling enabled in house is to throw the phone into airplane mode + wifi then it will always be wifi calling which is what I want when Im at the house.

I am on wifi calling whenever I am on wifi.
I think in Tmo's code, Wi-Fi calling is always a priority over cell calls

cariacou

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
I wonder if I might be missing a carrier update or something... I am on a 5s. I'll have to check and see.

it's possible, but I would try to troubleshoot these 2 steps:
- have you ever seen the "tmobile Wi-Fi" carrier name on the top screen bar?
- could your wifi be too slow that t-mobile is not able to support wi-fi calling on your network? if not too slow, it could be a firewall or something on the router blocking it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.