Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
In the past, firmware updates on a Mac seemed to bring two reboots, and a noticeably different screen when the firmware was being updated.

I didn't see any of that this time, but certainly Apple has been mucking around with the boot displays quite a bit with Yosemite as well.

Same here, no reboots, I had one firmware update on my Mini but I can't recall what it did, I think it rebooted though.
Before this Mini I had a Powerbook G3 and a G4, both rebooted with the different boot screen and restarted after a firmware update.

You guys may want to check your HDD/SSD by doing a verify disk. The 10.10.2 update totally borked my HDD and now I need to repair my HDD. Thanks :apple:

:rolleyes:

No problem here, but after I checked diskUtility hanged, forced quit, and the System almost came to a halt.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
My iMac is not starting up after the update. It loads OS X and the just shows the circle with the line through it >_<

Any tips? Already tried booting in safe mode and running disk utility on the hard drive. Nothing's working!

Do you have Trim enabled by using for instance TrimEnabler?

If so this will get you back into OS X:

Recovering from stop sign on boot screen

Step 1: Boot recovery mode by holding Cmd+R during boot
Step 2: Is your volume encrypted (FileVault)? If so, first open Disk Utility from the menu bar and unlock/mount*your drive
Step 3:*Open the Terminal from the menu bar
Step 4:*Run this command:
nvram boot-args
Does it say “kext-dev-mode=1″? if so, you can skip to Step 6. If it says “error getting variable”, continue with these steps:
Step 5: Run this command:
nvram boot-args=kext-dev-mode=1
Step 6:*Reboot back in to Recovery Mode again
Step 7: Run these commands, replacing Your Disk Name with the name of your Mac disk (partition). You can type ls /Volumes to get a list of volumes. Note the quotes around the disk path and that there should be no / before System.
cd "/Volumes/Your Disk Name"
touch System/Library/Extensions
kextcache -prelinked-kernel System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache -K System/Library/Kernels/kernel System/Library/Extensions*
Step 8:*Wait until it finishes (can take as long as 5-10 minutes, don’t abort it) and reboot.
You should now be back in OS X with Trim enabled.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Same here, no reboots, I had one firmware update on my Mini but I can't recall what it did, I think it rebooted though.
Before this Mini I had a Powerbook G3 and a G4, both rebooted with the different boot screen and restarted after a firmware update.

I see someone nicely posted a link directly to the firmware update, I'll download that and see what happens.

Edit/update: Well that was quick - it "installed" with no reboot, and no complaint that it had already been installed.

Hmmmmmm....

ChazSch

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
download and install took 11 minutes. I have a two day old clean install of Yosemite.

10.10.2 (14C109)
2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
10 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB

its running very fast. Even preview (pushing the space bar)

did all of you do a clean install? I was having so many problems with my 10..6<10.7<10.8<10.9<10.10 updated computer...a clean install SOLVED EVERYTHING

AND THIS UPDATE WORKS AS EXPECTED.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Anyone get this trying to install the combo?

I gave up and am installing via Software Update, but I'm curious what might have gone wrong.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-27 at 1-27, 4.22.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-27 at 1-27, 4.22.48 PM.png
    86.6 KB · Views: 146

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Anyone get this trying to install the combo?

I gave up and am installing via Software Update, but I'm curious what might have gone wrong.

What was the size of the combo update? With only 16GB available there might not have been enough space to decompress, install and still hang on to all the old files in case you cancelled before it's done.

PunkRocker

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
Just upgraded my late 2008 MacBook with an SSD over the weekend. Kind of amazed that Apple hasn't killed support for it yet.

I'm still rocking mine too! Upgraded with an SSD and replaced the optical drive with a 1TB laptop HDD. It's plenty fast still except when I try to edit 4K RAW footage.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Thank you for fixing Safari, Apple! Now it feels like it's back to normal again. No more big white, empty blocks while scrolling as the page downloads!

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
What was the size of the combo update? With only 16GB available there might not have been enough space to decompress, install and still hang on to all the old files in case you cancelled before it's done.

Nope, also got this error on my laptop which had a few hundred GB free.

seme332

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2013
Berlin
Thanks! I just tried that but at the end it told me "Can't create File.... No such directory"

But when I rebooted it started up OS X again... Did it work? Will I have to do anything now?

THANKS!

Also: TRIM is DISABLED now. Should I bother re-enabling it? I have it installed because I have a third party SSD in my Mac which I installed on my own.

Do you have Trim enabled by using for instance TrimEnabler?

If so this will get you back into OS X:

Recovering from stop sign on boot screen

Step 1: Boot recovery mode by holding Cmd+R during boot
Step 2: Is your volume encrypted (FileVault)? If so, first open Disk Utility from the menu bar and unlock/mount*your drive
Step 3:*Open the Terminal from the menu bar
Step 4:*Run this command:
nvram boot-args
Does it say “kext-dev-mode=1″? if so, you can skip to Step 6. If it says “error getting variable”, continue with these steps:
Step 5: Run this command:
nvram boot-args=kext-dev-mode=1
Step 6:*Reboot back in to Recovery Mode again
Step 7: Run these commands, replacing Your Disk Name with the name of your Mac disk (partition). You can type ls /Volumes to get a list of volumes. Note the quotes around the disk path and that there should be no / before System.
cd "/Volumes/Your Disk Name"
touch System/Library/Extensions
kextcache -prelinked-kernel System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache -K System/Library/Kernels/kernel System/Library/Extensions*
Step 8:*Wait until it finishes (can take as long as 5-10 minutes, don’t abort it) and reboot.
You should now be back in OS X with Trim enabled.

ggt

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
UK
Don't update if you use SpamSieve

Mail disables the plugin. The developer is working on an update though.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thank you for fixing Safari, Apple! Now it feels like it's back to normal again. No more big white, empty blocks while scrolling as the page downloads!

Seems like plenty of people had issues with Safari, I on the other hand had no issues at all with Safari on 10.10.X, before, since OS X 10.8 Safari stopped loading too many times, it's been rock solid on Yosemite.

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
Based on those system and board IDs, the FirmwareUpdate is for newer models only, mostly 2013 Haswell powered and on. Older ones aren't going to be updated with this.

reedog117

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2012
Back To My Mac working again?

Does Back To My Mac work again? This feature stopped working ever since upgrading to Mavericks and I need it back!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thanks! I just tried that but at the end it told me "Can't create File.... No such directory"

But when I rebooted it started up OS X again... Did it work? Will I have to do anything now?

THANKS!

The kext-dev-mode=1 command might have done the trick, it disables Kext signing, this is new to OS X since Yosemite, if there is an unsigned Kext in your Extension Folder your Mac might not start up.
The Developer Kext mode disables this.

Jcknows0

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2013
0 Infinite Loop
I'm still rocking mine too! Upgraded with an SSD and replaced the optical drive with a 1TB laptop HDD. It's plenty fast still except when I try to edit 4K RAW footage.

You attempted to edit 4k RAW footage on a 2008 Macbook? What camera are you shooting?

This download is slow as can be...

seme332

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2013
Berlin
Also: TRIM is DISABLED now. Should I bother re-enabling it? I have it installed because I have a third party SSD in my Mac which I installed on my own.

The kext-dev-mode=1 command might have done the trick, it disables Kext signing, this is new to OS X since Yosemite, if there is an unsigned Kext in your Extension Folder your Mac might not start up.
The Developer Kext mode disables this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.