Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Got my LP FOB and set it up. Just one CC and Drivers Liscense put in for now.

Will start testing and try my Krogers.

One question: When holding on top of center of swipe slider, do you hold button down until it accepts or just one depression. Don't want to be to new on my first transaction. Seems per vids you hold it.

Do you guys put the FOB on your keychain with the lanyard or in your pocket alone. Is lanyard very secure on keychain. It feels strong. I use a key ring that you slide the keys onto.

OK, more than one question--:)

Key ring is a very safe place for this. That rubber thing does a good job at holding it in place.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
OK did some reading and guess I can't use AP at Starbucks unless thru their Card. Guess it is LoopPay FOB to test today. Why so Snooty by Starbucks--:roll eyes:

Assuming LoopPay works--

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
The LoopPay FOB worked perfect 3 times today and also scanned my Krogers card in so they could scan barcode since I never carry card. Wife keeps it.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
The LoopPay FOB worked perfect 3 times today and also scanned my Krogers card in so they could scan barcode since I never carry card. Wife keeps it.

Yep, I'm using nothing but the LoopPay Card now. Even gave it to a couple of behind the counter terminals. Simply told each lady to hold it over the center of the swipe portion and hit the button once. Neither had an issue and both thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread.

I am keeping an eye on Plastc too though. IF it meets what it promises and IF it comes out when it is scheduled and has a great app to go with it, I'll look into moving away from Loop. But right now, Loop is the best contactless payment device/system on the market.

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
Did you get to try Apple Pay at that Kroger, or did it fail to work, so you used Loop? @Lloydbm41 I bought a fob as well, but I will still use the nfc on my phone to pay if its available, but if its not I will use then loop fob. But loop pay still uses insecure mag-stripe technology, so Google Wallet/Apple Pay has way better security, although the fob does look pretty cool.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Yep, I'm using nothing but the LoopPay Card now. Even gave it to a couple of behind the counter terminals. Simply told each lady to hold it over the center of the swipe portion and hit the button once. Neither had an issue and both thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread.

I am keeping an eye on Plastc too though. IF it meets what it promises and IF it comes out when it is scheduled and has a great app to go with it, I'll look into moving away from Loop. But right now, Loop is the best contactless payment device/system on the market.

Agreed. I will read about Plastic. But for 10.00 the best atm.

----------

Did you get to try Apple Pay at that Kroger, or did it fail to work, so you used Loop? @Lloydbm41 I bought a fob as well, but I will still use the nfc on my phone to pay if its available, but if its not I will use then loop fob. But loop pay still uses insecure mag-stripe technology, so Google Wallet/Apple Pay has way better security, although the fob does look pretty cool.

AP was no go at Krogers. Will use AP also when I can. The FOB is easier to carry on keychain then I thought. I like it.

Question: I depress button till accepted. You guys just depress quickly and release?

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
How do you add Loyalty Cards in Apple Pay? Just add as Debit and fill in with any number on the required fields?

I like that with LoopPay--:)

Last edited:

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Agreed. I will read about Plastic. But for 10.00 the best atm.

----------

AP was no go at Krogers. Will use AP also when I can. The FOB is easier to carry on keychain then I thought. I like it.

Question: I depress button till accepted. You guys just depress quickly and release?
Yep, just press it once and the green light will briefly come on, indicating the 'swipe' was virtually made. no need to hold it down.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I'll try that it took a couple seconds holding it so wasn't sure about one short press.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
How do you add Loyalty Cards in Apple Pay? Just add as Debit and fill in with any number on the required fields?

I like that with LoopPay--:)

Well, I can put Kroger card in LoopPay to be scanned at purchase. AP won't take it as a loyalty card. Doesn't read barcode unless it is looking for QR code?

Sucks, that is one card I would like in AP when Kroger's starts accepting AP--:mad:

EDIT: OK I got it--

Last edited:

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
Got my Loop Fob today and It's pretty interesting looking. My first experience with it was at trying to use it at Casey's General Stores and I got "invalid card format" after I pressed credit on the screen, I tried it twice and just ended swiping my card and that worked fine. So that was lame and swiping cards into it were not as easy as I thought or my card is shot. At Casey's they use L5300's, so the same as Walgreens, but with NFC turned off for now, although they did say something about having to align Apple Pay with their POS. But I did get to use Google Wallet at local Cafe for a second time and it probably took 5 to 7 seconds to have a receipt printed out. Gotta love those Verifone VX520's! :cool:

Last edited:

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Major Retailers that Support NFC Payments

I went to a Kum & Go today, didn't see any at the pump but they did let me use apple pay inside. Oddly thought, it did require me to sign the signature pad, but the transaction did go through just fine.

I've tried my local Kum & Go and while they have the NFC terminal and it lights up ApplePay on my iPhone the transaction never goes through. Not sure why it never works there.

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
I've tried my local Kum & Go and while they have the NFC terminal and it lights up ApplePay on my iPhone the transaction never goes through. Not sure by it never works there.
Kum & Go is an MCX member so they turned it off for Currentc(Which is going to be crap). It used to work before October 31st, 2014, because I had used Google Wallet since April of 2014 with no issues until that day. I added them to not accepting Contactless payment for that reason. So I stopped going to Kum & Go and now other gas stations are getting my business, losers. :p

Last edited:

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Got my Loop Fob today and It's pretty interesting looking. My first experience with it was at trying to use it at Casey's General Stores and I got "invalid card format" after I pressed credit on the screen, I tried it twice and just ended swiping my card and that worked fine. So that was lame and swiping cards into it were not as easy as I thought or my card is shot. At Casey's they use L5300's, so the same as Walgreens, but with NFC turned off for now, although they did say something about having to align Apple Pay with their POS. But I did get to use Google Wallet at local Cafe for a second time and it probably took 5 to 7 seconds to have a receipt printed out. Gotta love those Verifone VX520's! :cool:

cub, not sure on the problem. mine has worked perfect every time. i watched some vids like these first. maybe there is a step in them you missed. if your card didn't swipe correctly, it would have let you know. i like it for loyalty cards too as Apple Pay's version "PassBook" only works with apps that support PassBook. Which doesn't include the apps i want to put in. Try it a major store, Target etc.

https://looppay.freshdesk.com/suppo...cluding-full-length-set-up-and-how-to-looppay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCPDAvXJCqk

----------

BTW, did my first Apple Pay at FireHouse Subs. Worked great and my bank sent me an immediate message of the transaction before I was even done. I later saw the transaction details are stored in PassBook with the bank credit card. :)

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
cub, not sure on the problem. mine has worked perfect every time. i watched some vids like these first. maybe there is a step in them you missed. if your card didn't swipe correctly, it would have let you know. i like it for loyalty cards too as Apple Pay's version "PassBook" only works with apps that support PassBook. Which doesn't include the apps i want to put in. Try it a major store, Target etc.

https://looppay.freshdesk.com/suppo...cluding-full-length-set-up-and-how-to-looppay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCPDAvXJCqk

----------

BTW, did my first Apple Pay at FireHouse Subs. Worked great and my bank sent me an immediate message of the transaction before I was even done. I later saw the transaction details are stored in PassBook with the bank credit card. :)
Well I did it right as it does add the card, and when I put it in the middle of the MSR it comes up with credit and debit options, but after I pressed credit it failed to work with that error, so it must not work with all pos systems and I hope Casey's just supports Contactless soon which would actually work there. Firehouse Subs works great with Contactless, you just tap, hear the swipe noise and its done, very fast and easy! They just added the MX925 and kept their pos the same. Here is the pdf for Firehouse Subs if anyone wants to read it: http://www.worldpay.com/sites/default/files/Firehouse_Subs_Apple_Pay_Success_Story_December_2014.pdf :D

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
They say LP works with about 90% of them. I really like it. But, was impressed with AP today also.

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
They say LP works with about 90% of them. I really like it. But, was impressed with AP today also.
Alright, well I had my first success with the LoopPay Fob, at Hy-Vee, the same store that I did my very first Contactless payment transaction ever. :cool: The cashier thought it was pretty cool and smiled. Also very easy to use, just held it in the middle hit the button and swipe noise, after some processing, it said Approved, very cool! :)

Hy-Vee did support Contactless as they have MX915's and IBM pos, and they were on the Paypass locator, but they turned it off after I had used it, because they are part of MCX. :( Also has anyone tried Michaels lately, as I've heard they turned off Contactless just like Hy-Vee did over a year ago, if anyone here can confirm that then they should be removed from the accepting nfc payments section, which I would gladly do.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Alright, well I had my first success with the LoopPay Fob, at Hy-Vee, the same store that I did my very first Contactless payment transaction ever. :cool: The cashier thought it was pretty cool and smiled. Also very easy to use, just held it in the middle hit the button and swipe noise, after some processing, it said Approved, very cool! :)

Hy-Vee did support Contactless as they have MX915's and IBM pos, and they were on the Paypass locator, but they turned it off after I had used it, because they are part of MCX. :( Also has anyone tried Michaels lately, as I've heard they turned off Contactless just like Hy-Vee did over a year ago, if anyone here can confirm that then they should be removed from the accepting nfc payments section, which I would gladly do.

I do think LoopPay is a little slower than AP on response. I would use AP if all merchants I use accept it. Loyalty/ID cards PassBook doesn't take can go into Pocket-Mobile.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
LoopPay failed at local Target. They said they are not set up for contactless payments yet. Hope they are soon. We shop there a lot.:mad:

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
LoopPay failed at local Target. They said they are not set up for contactless payments yet. Hope they are soon. We shop there a lot.:mad:

It isn't really contactless, loop is duplicating the magnetic strip on the back of the credit card. You need to place loop near where you swipe the card. Though target has some machines that you need to insert the card so maybe loop can't send it that far.

Reactions: coolman13355

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Yeah, I placed it correctly as I have done before. People were waiting so just used card. If I have time will try to move it a little up or down for "Sweet Spot" per LP. But, I talked to store manager. So, either they aren't set up or just turned it off.

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
It isn't really contactless, loop is duplicating the magnetic strip on the back of the credit card. You need to place loop near where you swipe the card. Though target has some machines that you need to insert the card so maybe loop can't send it that far.
Exactly, since it emulates a mag stripe card it has the same security issues if the merchant is hacked, while actual Contactless payments uses a CVV3 (Dynamic CVV) code if its MSD or a cryptogram if its EMV, which is even better. So Target uses the Verifone MX925, which is the larger version of the MX915, and LoopPay does work with, so the 925 should work too. Also All MCX member besides Meijer, some Conoco/Phillips 66 or some Circle-K's still have NFC on, the rest of the MCX members have it turned off. http://www.mcx.com/

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Here's the thing. I held it over center and depressed button. Screen said "Swipe Card Again". So it must have sensed it and maybe wasn't over the best spot.

I also saw Michaels listed in OP. And it is an MCX merchant? Assuming they are same Michaels.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Here's the thing. I held it over center and depressed button. Screen said "Swipe Card Again". So it must have sensed it and maybe wasn't over the best spot.

I also saw Michaels listed in OP. And it is an MCX merchant? Assuming they are same Michaels.

So far, my LoopPay card has worked everywhere except at a military exchange (but that might have been because they were using an ancient POS system.)

I wonder if the LoopPay card has a better transmitter than the FOB, so the virtual swipe can go over a longer distance?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.