Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bit_bucket

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Summerville, SC
In going through the return process a few times now. I would say 80% of the replacements are refurb. I am seeing the poorest quality phones come out of the white boxes. Cracks, dust, light leak, scratched cases. Unless these are manufacturing rejects...

richxps

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2008
Sorry but the white boxes are refurb. Per the apple rep. these were to be used for people with the phone over 30 days that have issues, but since supply is low they were using white boxed phones, that most of them only had the battery replaced.

Think about it, Apple will never give you something that is new out of a open box. If its new it will be sealed plain and simple.

Is is this true ? I dont know but this is the discussion i had with the rep when returning a case last night. Sometimes i feel like the reps dont even know whats going on.

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
The "white box" iPhones maybe refurbs or not but Apple when they get a defective phone back will check out the internals to make sure its all good then will replace the outer shell with a new one. So yes the insides maybe refurbished but you will be getting a new outer shell.

spacetycho

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
I'm not suggesting that Apple does not intend to provide refurbs, but I don't see how new iphones could be returned to the store, shipped (likely in bulk) to the repair depot, repaired (assuming that they have a stock of replacement parts), tested, shipped to a distribution point, and finally shipped to the stores, all in a little over a month.

Apple stores give refurbs, if they are out of them and have new ones you will get a new one, but only if they don't have refurbs.

You give them a 'bad' iPhone and they give you a refurb. Then they take your old 'bad' iphone, change the case and battery, restore and then run diagnostic tests. Then they give it to the next victim when they have a 'bad' one. This is done in store. They will not do this for you when you come in with your phone so don't wast your time.

I was told this, minus the victim part, by an :apple: rep on the phone.

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?
I'm not suggesting that Apple does not intend to provide refurbs, but I don't see how new iphones could be returned to the store, shipped (likely in bulk) to the repair depot, repaired (assuming that they have a stock of replacement parts), tested, shipped to a distribution point, and finally shipped to the stores, all in a little over a month.

My thoughts exactly. It is way too early to be seeing refurbs yet. I think that these phones are new, but are in these boxes to save $$$$. Plus I don't think they count for the store's inventory? :)

joebokeh

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
I've exchanged mine... It came out of a white box... Looks good to me... If I had used my first one for a couple weeks and I get a used but refurbed one back... No biggie...

Off topic... This new one feels like the touch screen is more responsive and the silent switch is much more crisp... The power button is crooked, and there's one piece of dust in the screen, but I'll take this over the one I had before any day...

Isn't the battery under warranty? So before the year is up, aren't most of you guys going to return the phone for battery replacing anyways? I figure mines ok; it will eventually get replaced by another...

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
I've exchanged mine... It came out of a white box... Looks good to me... If I had used my first one for a couple weeks and I get a used but refurbed one back... No biggie...

Off topic... This new one feels like the touch screen is more responsive and the silent switch is much more crisp... The power button is crooked, and there's one piece of dust in the screen, but I'll take this over the one I had before any day...

Isn't the battery under warranty? So before the year is up, aren't most of you guys going to return the phone for battery replacing anyways? I figure mines ok; it will eventually get replaced by another...

I'd take that one back as well. As much as we pay, I'd expect better than that. When I buy my wife's this weekend, I am going to give it a good look over before we even leave the store.

purpleclad

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2008
I got a white box from the Apple store, and I'm not sure how it could have been a refurbed unit. It is a week 30, which would have been manufactured sometime the week of July 21st in China. I got the phone on August 2nd. That wouldn't give much time for the refurbishing process and reshipment out to a store.

I would guess not many of the white boxed units this soon after launch are refurbished.

joebokeh

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
I'd bring it back if I lived closer... It's an hr away... Also it took a bit of fighting to get the replacement... And 3 days for the replacement to come... So I actually drove the distance twice to get it done... I'll use this one for a bit, then go to a best buy to return hahah or a TGIF..

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
The units in the white boxes are refurbs and/or display/ex-display units.
I know this for a fact.

Don't be put off by any of it though. Apple wouldn't give it to you unless it was in perfect working order. Your old phone will be repaired and shipped out in a white box once repaired too.

How complicated do people think it is for a company that creates a product from scratch to swap out a problematic part? 1 week should suffice!

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
I'd like to know, too. Maybe ask the genius if you could see the serial #? Older build week = refurb, later build week = new???

I went to the Apple store the other day to have my sleep/wake button looked at (it sank in and was no longer as responsive). The genius told me that since I bought it from AT&T, they could only replace it from their refurb inventory (white box). Apple purchasers could get a brand new (regular box) replacement on the spot. He told me if I bring it back to AT&T, they would be able to replace it with a new unit ~ so I did. Luckily, my DF order only took one day to ship!

Either Apple and AT&T have different policies in different stores, or your story is filled with holes.

First of all, AT&T does NOT service iphones. They send you to the Apple store if there is one local, or they send you to Apple tech support who will arrange a shipment of a new iPhone to you. AT&T does not have any new or refurb phones to give the customer, flat out they told me this. So, if you're getting DF, it's from Apple, NOT from AT&T.

Secondly, I don't know where you guys are getting this "white box" thing from, my replacement iPhone came, direct from Apple, in a plain brown box with foam padding, and inside there was a small black box that said Iphone on it (that was not sealed), but the phone was obviously brand new.

wreckshop

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2008
I think white boxes are refurbs. I had to swap out my defective iphone twice and both times I got brand new shrink wrapped retail boxes.

Personally, I wouldnt have minded getting a refurb. My feeling is that refurbs have a much higher level of being tested for defects here in the US than the new ones coming out of China.

joebokeh

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
I know this for a fact.

Don't be put off by any of it though. Apple wouldn't give it to you unless it was in perfect working order. Your old phone will be repaired and shipped out in a white box once repaired too.

How complicated do people think it is for a company that creates a product from scratch to swap out a problematic part? 1 week should suffice!

can you explain HOW you know it for a fact? I think it may help strengthen you're statement... Rather than just making a claim with no other support...

It's like posting "apple is great.. I know this for a fact"

neggie

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
well i just got off the phone with the oakbrooke apple store in illinois
very nice guys i bought my phone from att and the manager at apple told me that they cannot swap out a phone from att with a new unit from inventory. that the white boxs are some refurb some new to the Genius Bar only. They are very kewl there but since i live 2hrs away i asked if i can inspect it be for i leave so i dont have to come back again he said that was fine. He orderd one for me (white box phone) cuz they where out when i got my phone checked out on wendsday

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
This thread gets nowhere...

I am getting my phone replaced...I guess it is likely that it will be refurbished.

My work authorization calls for item number: 661-4787 with description of iphone 3G follow by AR-USA.

How about we share work authorization info and see if there's any discrepancy.

Also, my phone was purchased on 7/12 and replacement order was put in on 8/13...which they asked. So maybe that may be the factor whether or not I receive a new or refurb phone.

theunlocker

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2007
I exchanged my White iPhone after a week I got it. The lady assured me that it is a new phone and when I saw it, it was flawless.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Remember, if your exchanged phone has a serial number beginning with 5K8, it is a refurb. Other than the serial number it will look brand new since refurbs are given new cases and glass.

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
I know this for a fact.

That is completely incorrect. I went into the Apple Store today with my wife to purchase an iPhone 3G for her. I asked the manager while I was there if the "white" boxes were refurbs yet. He said the 3G's have not been out long enough to have refurbs yet. Eventually they will be refurbs but for now they are new just like the retail boxes. They are in the plain white boxes to save $$$$ for now. :D

JIGPhone

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2008
Either Apple and AT&T have different policies in different stores, or your story is filled with holes.

First of all, AT&T does NOT service iphones. They send you to the Apple store if there is one local, or they send you to Apple tech support who will arrange a shipment of a new iPhone to you. AT&T does not have any new or refurb phones to give the customer, flat out they told me this. So, if you're getting DF, it's from Apple, NOT from AT&T.

Secondly, I don't know where you guys are getting this "white box" thing from, my replacement iPhone came, direct from Apple, in a plain brown box with foam padding, and inside there was a small black box that said Iphone on it (that was not sealed), but the phone was obviously brand new.

Uhmmm... where in my post did I mention that AT&T services iPhones? :rolleyes:

Basically...

Ordered iPhone from AT&T via DF (direct fulfillment)

Recieved order, took it home, button was broken

Went to Apple Store (since it is still under warranty) and given two options:
1.) Apple Store will replace defective phone with a whitebox "refurb" (the genius specifically used the word "refurb")
2.) Suggested I return to the AT&T store and have AT&T replace the defective phone with a new one

Picked option #2 and had to do a 2nd DF order since the AT&T store is still out of stock.

Where are the holes? :confused:

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
That is completely incorrect. I went into the Apple Store today with my wife to purchase an iPhone 3G for her. I asked the manager while I was there if the "white" boxes were refurbs yet. He said the 3G's have not been out long enough to have refurbs yet. Eventually they will be refurbs but for now they are new just like the retail boxes. They are in the plain white boxes to save $$$$ for now. :D

I said in my post that the phones in white boxes are either refurbed units or display units. Both of these come in white boxes.
The likely hood is that they are indeed brand new 'for now'. Though, store managers wouldn't be told anyway since brand new display units and replacement units come in exactly the same boxes as 'Spare units'.

As for how I know this for a fact, ask yourself what person would know this for a fact and you'll probably be right on the money.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
They are new phones for the express purpose of exchanges. I agree
they haven't had time to be refurbs and have no need to lie about it anyway.

AndroidSUCKS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
If you said your white box 3G phone was a refurb, please post your serial number. Read they start with "5k", but is that still the case for the 2nd generation phones .. In any case, what's your serial?

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
I said in my post that the phones in white boxes are either refurbed units or display units. Both of these come in white boxes.
The likely hood is that they are indeed brand new 'for now'. Though, store managers wouldn't be told anyway since brand new display units and replacement units come in exactly the same boxes as 'Spare units'.

As for how I know this for a fact, ask yourself what person would know this for a fact and you'll probably be right on the money.

Well if you are located in the UK...you're not Steve Jobs, so I assume you are some sort of manager. However, I stick to my guns for now. It's not been long enough for the refurbs to get out. They will soon though.

neggie

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
got my unit back today and it starts with 5k8 so i guess its a refurb ..still has light leak on left side but not as bad overall unti looks good

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.