Are 3G iPhones from a white box still new?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndroidSUCKS, Aug 14, 2008.

1. AndroidSUCKS macrumors newbie

Whenever they exchange 3G iPhones at the Genius Bar, I noticed they take one of those iPhones out of a unsealed white box to make the swap.

Is that the case with everyone here who has the swap? Anyone here got a used/refurbished 3G phone? Or at this point you've all gotten new replacement phones out of white box?

2. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

its probably a refurb> BRAND new ones would be in a sealed box.

3. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

They're not refurb. I had my phone replaced a week ago and a woman was refusing one from a white box because she was convinced it was a refurb.. a manager was explaining that it's not and they'd be happy to give her a sealed box iphone if she was that worried about it, and they did.

4. JIGPhone macrumors newbie

I'd like to know, too. Maybe ask the genius if you could see the serial #? Older build week = refurb, later build week = new???

I went to the Apple store the other day to have my sleep/wake button looked at (it sank in and was no longer as responsive). The genius told me that since I bought it from AT&T, they could only replace it from their refurb inventory (white box). Apple purchasers could get a brand new (regular box) replacement on the spot. He told me if I bring it back to AT&T, they would be able to replace it with a new unit ~ so I did. Luckily, my DF order only took one day to ship!

5. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

From my understanding, they are still brand new, but bulk packaged especially as replacements. When you get a replacement, you don't get all the other stuff, it's just the phone, so they package them in a simpler way.

In the future, they will probably be refurbs, but at this time, I don't believe enough time has elapsed since the debut for there to be refurbs available.

6. Metuas macrumors regular

Metuas

When I got a replacement (EDGE) iPhone, when my screen cracked, I got a replacement from a white box.

The receipt said it was specifically a replacement iPhone, and I suppose they have many of them in these boxes as replacements/exchanges.

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

That is the case, they just come in the white plain boxes as they do not need all of the other stuff that comes with the retail box.
    That wouldn't help all that much though, as there have not been a ton of production weeks yet.

8. appleguy5211 macrumors member

It is not a refurb phone. It is brand new! It was made specifically for GB repairs. It just doesnt come in a brand new apple box because you already have everything else it comes with. My bud is a genius over @ my local store.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Brand new, just service parts instead of retail.

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

depends on the box.

Attached Files:

• ibox.JPG
      ibox.JPG
      File size:
      46.9 KB
      Views:
  11. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I don't know, he looks legit, just like this guy:

[​IMG]

12. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Do they even have any refurbs yet? It's only been a month?!?!? :)

13. dboy261 macrumors newbie

extra warranty

do you guys know if you have to buy a sepprate warranty or some kind of protection plac in order to get a replacement if something goes wrong? or is there a warranty allready from apple when you buy the phone thanks i just got my phone about 4 days ago so far so good i love it

14. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

where did you get a pic of my car, stalker:D

15. aphexii macrumors 6502

They are most certainly either refurbs, returns, etc. That being said, Apple has what many consider to be the some of best quality control when it comes to their refurbs. Most refurbs from Apple look and perform brand new, with the same warranty.

How do I know? I swapped out my 1st gen iPhone shortly after it came out and my 'white box' replacement (that I saw him open the seal in front of me), still had some lady's iTunes account info in the phone. Shocking, considering Apple's track record with refurbs, but it can happen. They were cool about it and just swapped it again.

16. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

It comes with the Apple 1 year, but you can buy the extra year of Apple Care anytime during that 1st year.

17. megax macrumors member

From my understanding you get a 3G replacement out the white box if you bought the phone from ATT otherwise if you bought it at apple you get a brand spanking new phone from an sealed box.

18. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

I think that at the moment, the phones you're getting are brand new. For me, all my replacements had recent build weeks marked on them.

I can see why you might think that, but for the record, this has has happened to me on a brand new, sealed retail box unit too.

19. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

some are new, some are refurb'ed. workers in the store cannot tell at all, unfortunately. they're not marked specifically. you can get either.

20. clancemasterj macrumors regular

clancemasterj

I got the thin box when I had my 1st gen exchanged. edit: Sorry for the giant pic...
    [​IMG]

21. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Having addressed many of the issues you mention; Apple has never really come out and admitted that the iPhones in little white boxes are refurbs or new. The only thing they said was that they had "control of the serial numbers" so if it's a replacement iPhone they can't really tell at the store whether it's a refurb or new, (Only response I've ever gotten out them Genius'). I've grown accustomed to bringing my old box and accessories, every time I bring anything Apple to the Apple Store... but that's just me. :cool:

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That replacement box is hilarious... (be careful, that could be trademark infringement on the box markings!) LOL :D

23. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Refurb iPhones will have a serial number beginning with 5K8.

24. Tom J macrumors regular

I'm not suggesting that Apple does not intend to provide refurbs, but I don't see how new iphones could be returned to the store, shipped (likely in bulk) to the repair depot, repaired (assuming that they have a stock of replacement parts), tested, shipped to a distribution point, and finally shipped to the stores, all in a little over a month.