Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Already having a MBP, I'd much rather have a mutant iTouch than a regular form factor netbook.

Oh and netbooks never cost $899, right?

style_section_bkg.jpg

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
Can people stop posting the Sony P series netbooks because they cost $899? We all know they cost $899 because it has been said at least 15 times already in this thread.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

PlayRadioPlay

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
i would REALLY like to be able to sync my bluetooth keyboard with the iphone! once they allow that, i'd be all over it! lol
Agreed. It would be amazing to take notes in class with an Apple blue tooth keyboard while my iPhone is in my pocket :) People around me would be so confused. I don't need to see the screen when taking notes, so this setup would be ideal for me.

PlayRadioPlay

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Welcome to every thread ever. No one reads the content, and so 70% is rehash.

Cut to the Microsoft ad thread...:D
Well, these particular forums are to comment on News, so do you expect people to go through 14 pages of comments to see what's been said before?

If anyone is reading 14 pages of comments about clearly fake Apple products, they need to get out more.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Well, these particular forums are to comment on News, so do you expect people to go through 14 pages of comments to see what's been said before?

If anyone is reading 14 pages of comments about clearly fake Apple products, they need to get out more.

Or, if anyone is reading these posts so that they don't post duplicates, they should commend themselves because they're following the rules.

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
Agreed. It would be amazing to take notes in class with an Apple blue tooth keyboard while my iPhone is in my pocket :) People around me would be so confused. I don't need to see the screen when taking notes, so this setup would be ideal for me.

this sounds extremly useless to me, you must be kiddin', right?

taking notes on your iphone, which is in your pocket, while you're having a (fullsize-) keyboard on your desk? either you must be a perfect writer, or you haven't thought this through... how do you know you didn't made mistakes? how would you place notes into the right order? dude....

this is a stupid idea.... (no offense):rolleyes:

applecultvictim

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2009
Tablets exist already.:confused:

Hey buddy, I am wondering if you genuinely don't understand other people's points or if you are just very reactive. Did you read my post carefully? Tablets may exist but crossover ebook readers/tablets slim enough, booksized and practical enough in mass market prices do not. Do you understand what I am saying now? I would hate to start another food fight with you, so get over yourself, and don't insinuate that the other party is talking crap, as you so often do in a crude and rude way.

Apple will re-invent the netbook market by releasing a great small sized tablet we can all take to bed or on the sofa or lying on the mat or an a beach somewhere and wirelessly browse the net an check our mail. As the iphone users and ipod touch will tell you you don't have to lug around a keyboard if you are surfing the net.

Make it happen apple. And come June with Steve in the keynote we ll be making history again and all the others will be eating our dust.

And music players "existed already", and smartphones "existed already"...until Apple reinvented them all and created a whole new demand for products...otherwise we'd still be praising our crappy Motorola RAZRs as leading edge phones until this very moment...:rolleyes:

Exactly my friend, you said it so well. :)

muxbox

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
Not good enough for apple

Apple would not enter the market with just another notebook.

The obvious choice is that its going to be an overgrown iphone type device with onscreen keyboard and i will be first in queue to get one.

PlayRadioPlay

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Or, if anyone is reading these posts so that they don't post duplicates, they should commend themselves because they're following the rules.
These are news comments. Having a forum layout is entirely unnecessary since people are just commenting on stories. There's a reason why most websites just have a comments section, instead of an entire forum for a news story. Because most people just want to share their comments, not be involved in a 14 page discussion that they were expected to keep up with.

taking notes on your iphone, which is in your pocket, while you're having a (fullsize-) keyboard on your desk? either you must be a perfect writer, or you haven't thought this through... how do you know you didn't made mistakes? how would you place notes into the right order? dude....

Even when I DO have a screen, I still go through all of my notes after class to format and organize them and correct inevitable mistakes. It's the best way to study, without knowing you're studying.

It's the same as hand writing notes. You're not going for perfect spelling and format, you're just trying to get the ideas down first, then you can organize them later.

Besides, what would be the point of having my iPhone out on my desk while I'm typing? It's not like the screen would be very helpful since it would be at such a difficult viewing angle. I've been typing almost as long as I've been writing. I'm part of that generation.

BohoTrash

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
Skegness, UK
Lol. This is about as real as I am now riding this horse-drawn fish. And in any case, with the iPhone I have all the "netbook" I'll ever need. ;)

JohnnyLemonhead

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2008
Assuming it's true, it is not a good move by Apple.

A. Too expensive for a netbook
B. Too feature packed for a netbook, probably resulting in the aforementioned excessive expense.

If it is true then Apple has once again failed. I say once again as a reference to the tone-deaf abject failure that is the MacBook Air.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Fake, apple wouldn't install AdiumX and World Of Warcraft on a promotional laptop.
Furthermore they never release product shots with European keyboard layout (let alone a Russian one), if you go to Apple Sweden or Apple Denmark or whatever the product shots always have the U.S. keyboard layout.
muxbox said:
Apple would not enter the market with just another notebook.

The obvious choice is that its going to be an overgrown iphone type device with onscreen keyboard
Yep. There'll probably also be a tiny desktop stand to dock with so you can turn it into a baby iMac with a real keyboard.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008

Maybe useless to you, but those of us with typing skills don't need to look at the result. I feel mistakes as I make them and can choose to fix them or just let it be, I'll know what I meant later. Know what order to place notes? how bout chronologically, with what is presented first on top, followed by what comes next. It's easy to keep them in order.

I think that is a great idea, just to have a keyboard on your desk and look at the presenter as you take notes, or look up at the overhead projector display or chalkboard to see what to type. I look at the source when I copy things typing, not back and forth to the result. That's for n00bs.

Sorry if you can't utilize such a setup. There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people :rolleyes:

vvebsta

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2006
Can people stop posting the Sony P series netbooks because they cost $899? We all know they cost $899 because it has been said at least 15 times already in this thread.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'd never seen the P series, and after checking it out on sony's website, I must say that ironically there is allot of wasted space. The screen could fill up more space for one. Apple still has superior products in my opinion. If they do make a netbook they will do it right. :cool:

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
Even though Apple's products are always/usually expensive, $899 for this MacBook Mini is not going to sell. Why? not only is it just too much, but if someone is considering purchasing the MacBook Mini because it is cheaper, then they might as well throw in the extra $100 for the white MacBook ($999). The price margin between the two is just too small, unless you really need the 10 inch screen, and no bigger.

Plus, I'm not agreeing that this is going to be exactly how the MacBook Mini will look like when/if it is released. When Apple was qouted with having 'interesting ideas' with the netbook model, I don't think that means making a netbook that looks almost exactly like the Aluminum MacBooks, but thiner.

But that's just my opinion. :apple: :confused:

kzin

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2005
Does anyone really think the MacBook is dinosaur sized?

Yes.

I have no desire, nor any need, to carry anything bigger than 10"-ish screen.
I have no need for my mobile device to have a full power CPU.

I do have a desire to keep my gadget bag small and light. I can easily carry a 8.9"/9" screen device in my smaller gadget bag. I can carry a 10" one in my larger gadget bag. I will not carry a bigger gadget bag, period. Nor will I carry a separate laptop bag. If Apple wants me to own a mobile Apple computer, it will have at least a 7"-ish screen (because smaller than that is too small) and no more than a 10"-ish screen. Nothing outside of that size range is acceptable for my dollars. (it also has to have a physical keyboard, at least as an external option; that's the other reason an iPhone/iPod-Touch aren't acceptable -- no current official (non-jailbroken) support for a physical keyboard)

What I want/care about is basically something for checking mail, reading RSS, light web surfing, and chatting while I'm on the bus/train or in a cafe. In a pinch, I might need to use SSH to reach my servers while I'm out and about, or manage their web interfaces. Maybe run a VNC viewer. Maybe read some PDFs/ebooks/documents. That's it.

All of that other stuff that a macbook as the power to do? _Worthless_ to me while I'm mobile. So, why pay extra for something that's too big and doesn't give me anything I want/need?

The thing that's really close to ideal for me ... I have a Samsung Q1 Ultra with Ubuntu-UMPC on it. The thumb keyboards are a little awkward ... more because they're 4 row instead of 5 row, and some of the keys are awkwardly placed. If it had OS X and an iPhone-like Front Row overlay UI, Apple aesthetics, better OS/hw integration (a linux shortcoming), usable screen rotation, usable portrait mode virtual keyboard*, a translucent split-thumb virtual keyboard for landscape mode, some form of WWAN support, and otherwise had similar peripheral support and size as the Q1 Ultra (requiring a dock or not) ... it would be great. Bonus points for an attachable keyboard (like the Touch Book).

If it was a 10" screen, with no keypads/mouse-stick/dpad, instead of the Q1 Ultra's 7" screen ... then I'd probably be ok with that. 10" screen, very wide aspect ratio (more than 16x9), iPhone type styling, attachable keyboard, and the above features ... that'd be hard for me to pass up. Even if it was more than $900.

(* a usable app in the top half of the screen, a usable virtual thumb keyboard in the bottom half; so, full 80x24 SSH + keyboard for example)

vvebsta

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2006
The obvious choice is that its going to be an overgrown iphone type device with onscreen keyboard
Yep. There'll probably also be a tiny desktop stand to dock with so you can turn it into a baby iMac with a real keyboard.

Uuuggh who would buy such a thing!! I know Apple is all gesture happy over there but when I want to write emails and word documents, nothing will beat the comfort of a physical keyboard. Touch screen keyboard is fabulous for on the go and you can type and hold the device with one hand. But, I vote no on an over grown iphone, unless it was strictly for games and movies.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
At least people are not calling it the Macbook "nano". Nano is for things that fit in the coin pocket. I don't think you'd enjoy typing on a device that fits in the coin pocket.
:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.