Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TomiY1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, CA
How ridiculous is this... Time Warner's iPad app actually detects a jailbreak and disables the app completely! wow... im shocked. (updated to v.2.0) Anyone else seeing this?

rnystery

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2011
... i got email from them telling me to unjailbreak and they will be sending notice of my ipads ip...

TomiY1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, CA
... i got email from them telling me to unjailbreak and they will be sending notice of my ipads ip...

you gotta be kidding me...what does it matter? its perfectly legal.... are they that stupid?

Last edited by a moderator:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
you gotta be kidding me...what does it matter? its perfectly legal.... are they that stupid?

The DCMA exemption states only iPod Touches and iPhones are allowed to legally be jailbroken. When the exemption was written, the iPad didn't yet exist. So, they could technically sue people who jailbreak their iPads.

Last edited by a moderator:

TomiY1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, CA
i dont quite get what jailbreaking has to do with their cable TV app...this is absolutely ridic....

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
ignorant, TW wouldn't know with to do with any device made after 1989. how stupid is this. a jb doesn't allow any change in using their useless app. I guess they think pirated HBO flows over jb iPads. jeez.

donmoosavi

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
I know of no way to "fix" this, i have the same problem.

However this is caused only by the update to TW 2.0. Find an ipa of 1.0 and it works fine. I was lucky enough to still have mine saved

Edit: If anyone finds a fix (a cydia app that helps escape jailbreak detection?) that would be great, as the 2.0 app aside from the discrimination looks fantastic with expanded channels

Alcap0ne

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2011
Damn

thank god i saw this thread before i opened the app. I think i'll delete the app for now till a fix is out

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
Isnt that a free app that just works with a subscription? What do they care...

SSpiro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I've never understood this either.

All I can think of is perhaps its their fear of illegal downloading. Especially considering their history with the RIAA etc..

TomiY1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, CA
wowwwww... so get this...iTunes will not allow me to put v1.0 on my iPad2! It says i am not authorized to install it... wtf?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
wowwwww... so get this...iTunes will not allow me to put v1.0 on my iPad2! It says i am not authorized to install it... wtf?

The app is tied to the account which was used to download it. Standard for the vast majority of App Store apps, if not all of them.

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Strange. I just jail broke iPad 2 and my TW cable app seems to be working fine.

What version of the app? If it's anything older than the version 2.0.0 that just came out today, it should work fine. It's version 2.0.0 that introduced the anti-jailbreak code.

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
As for me... after updating to 2.0.0 and seeing the error, I successfully reverted to the previous version (by deleting the new version, restoring the 1.0 version that was placed in my trash, and syncing it onto my jailbroken iPad v1 in iOS 4.3.3.)

Now I can launch it and log in, but now I get this error instead: "The programming you have requested is only available when you are accessing this video service in your home, using a cable modem authorized by Time Warner Cable." (Which is frustrating to see, because of course I am using the same cable modem I've always been using, and this app has previously been working fine.)

I rebooted the cable modem and tried again, to no avail. I'm sure whatever "official" troubleshooting I try with TWC will just end up with them suggesting I update to the latest 2.0 version... which of course won't work, because I am jailbroken. And I don't want to give up the jailbreak, just for this app.

I am also forced to wonder right now, if the initial launch of the 2.0 version of this app on a jailbroken iPad somehow "reports" our IP address to Time Warner, which allows them to blacklist this iOS device's MAC address (or this cable modem,) until this account is logs in again properly, with the device in an unjailbroken state. Does that make sense? Could TWC be that vigilant and annoying here? If that's the case... folks... you really don't want to update/launch the 2.0 version.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and all, but it's difficult to be optimistic that jailbreak developers will be able to hack a workaround for this... seeing as it requires a TWC account with an authorized cable modem along with TV service to even be able to check out the app in the first place.

Ugh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.