Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnagy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
After updating to 10.7.3, all applications crash right after launching them. The buttons on the dialog box are missing too. Check out this photo:
http://i.imgur.com/o1diC.jpg

Does anyone know how to fix the problem? Is it best to just downgrade to 10.7.2?

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
No problems here with OSX 10.7.3.
Mid 2008 15" Mac Book Pro.

Delta update rather than the combo I usually use..

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I think, one has to restore from Time Machine first. Downloading the combo update is not possible because Safari crashes. Even if I download it on another computer, not sure I can run the update since Finder crashes as well.

If you're getting that many crashes, then I'd rollback using TM, then apply the combo update.

I did the combo update on Lion and Server and have had no issues on either.

Kuranuk

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007

Well, early 2011 MBP here, and it's hosed. Installing 10.6.3 on a spare HD in hopes I can install the combo update from there. (For some reason, the Safari in the Lion recovery portion of the time machine backup doesn't let me save anything to an external drive. Thanks, apple.)

gnagy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Well, early 2011 MBP here, and it's hosed. Installing 10.6.3 on a spare HD in hopes I can install the combo update from there. (For some reason, the Safari in the Lion recovery portion of the time machine backup doesn't let me save anything to an external drive. Thanks, apple.)

The "Terminal" application is the only way to save files to an external drive when you boot into the Lion recovery portion. If you don't know how to do that, have someone at an Apple store show you. You definitely don't have to lose any files.

And yeah, this is a pain in the ass. Having to restore from time machine and applying the combo update is no fun.

----------

Lucky! Maybe the file is ok on the New Zealand servers :)

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
I upgraded 3 system without issue, and Safari seems much faster and snappier. Sorry for those that experienced issues.

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
I also experienced wonkiness after updating via Software Update (thus the delta as opposed to combo update). After manually re-booting twice, I repaired permissions, re-booted yet again, but when I tried to open Firefox, my screen just went black. I haven't seen missing dialog buttons...yet. I've now re-booted another couple times, and, fingers crossed, things seem to be o.k. Well, by "o.k." I mean by Lion's standards. It hasn't been a pleasant experience for me w/ Lion (& I clean installed it the 2nd day after release & I had since done a 2nd clean install). Hopefully some of my issues have been fixed

waynep

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
I just did my 17" 2010 MBP and it's good . . . Like another person above, it feels a little snappier . . . Also I am suspecting the memory management is better. I can open more apps before it starts paging out than before the update.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Upgrading to Lion has been the worst thing I have ever done. Lion is complete trash and even after THREE updates (10.7.3) they have yet to fix the unnerving blackscreen of death bug.

It has been worst since the update and now I cant even open a YouTube video in the browser without getting the damn bug. Texmate wont launch, it changes a bunch of file associations, shows no discernible improvement in any areas, etc. What a waste.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
yea my obsidian menu bar doesn't work now and I can not revert it to the normal one either. so now I have a grey menu bar with white icons. I guess I will just have to wait until the people at maxthemes update the obsidian app. i hate the grey menu bar.

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
You shouldn't have to restore from Time Machine. You just have to enter recovery mode somehow (recovery partition, Lion install USB drive, external hard drive, etc) and reinstall Lion. This was a huge pain in the but for me, especially because I had been planning on working on a paper, but in the end I didn't lose any data and didn't have to sit through an entire Time Machine restore. This shouldn't happen though...

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
I have ALWAYS Combo updated my machines each time there's an update since I had a huge issue and had to blow my drive away and reinstall everything on my very first mac 4 months after I got it. I got a bad delta update through software update and I restarted after it installed I was given a blue screen and nothing but. Archive Install didn't even fix it. It was really really hosed.

That was back on 10.2 or 10.3. I can't recall.

I have done 4 machines on Combo update today. No issues with any of them.

kamuix

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
california
yea my obsidian menu bar doesn't work now and I can not revert it to the normal one either. so now I have a grey menu bar with white icons. I guess I will just have to wait until the people at maxthemes update the obsidian app. i hate the grey menu bar.

i hear ya on that, supposedly there were instructions that said if any updates were to be applied, roll back lol. who woulda remembered? i got a happy peppy menu bar now too.

other than that all the apps i have seem to be working alright.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
i hear ya on that, supposedly there were instructions that said if any updates were to be applied, roll back lol. who woulda remembered? i got a happy peppy menu bar now too.

other than that all the apps i have seem to be working alright.

I sent an email to max at macthemes who i hope will fix this problem soon, but i doubt it. i can't remember a time when I didn't have the black menu bar. so I guess it's staying like that for a while. i am thinking about rolling back to 10.7.2 until then. or just restoring it and then updating.

but my apps seem fine as well.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
I upgraded 3 system without issue, and Safari seems much faster and snappier. Sorry for those that experienced issues.

Ditto with me as well. Interesting to know why this is happening to some but not all. :confused:

Lion already on system. No software that has not been approved for Lion, system is new. Maybe a common issue with those that have older system and upgraded to Lion. Unknown, but worth a discussion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.