Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
i just had a bit of a nasty freeze on mountain lion, the cursor was moving fine but everything else was unresponsive (gestures, dock, app, menu bar)

and then after trying to figure out the short cut key to force quit, the dock graphically kind of messed up, icons switched around and were badly misaligned from their shadows.

im concerned about what caused this, i just installed 16gb of ram, samsung ssd 830 today.

everything has been running flawlessly for since 10 hours ago.

the only things iv done recently, is turn Trim on, and install some apps, i turned trim on a few hours ago. but this crash happened 5 minutes into using a new app i bought - 'reeder'

anyone had this experience with reeder?

i hope i don't have a bad hdd/ram..

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
i just had a bit of a nasty freeze on mountain lion, the cursor was moving fine but everything else was unresponsive (gestures, dock, app, menu bar)

and then after trying to figure out the short cut key to force quit, the dock graphically kind of messed up, icons switched around and were badly misaligned from their shadows.

im concerned about what caused this, i just installed 16gb of ram, samsung ssd 830 today.

the only things iv done recently, is turn Trim on, and install some apps, i turned trim on a few hours ago. but this crash happened 5 minutes into using a new app i bought - 'reeder'

Verified your disk with Disk Utility?

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Verified your disk with Disk Utility?

just verified, apparently all is ok, im not sure if the system is performing exactly how it was before the crash, could be placebo.

im running memtest right now, so far ok.

if its to do with trim, well it happen once a day?

i have no idea what could have caused it.

im using steam and i installed a bunch of games a hour or more before the crash.

gonna list the apps i had installed at the time:

dropbox
adium
air media server
instant
disk doctor
mindnode lite
photosketcher
color splash studio
mplayerx
skitch
the unarchiver
better touch tool
perian
carousel
xee
day one
pic frame
trim enabler
black magic disk
cheatsheet
caffeine

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
just had another identical freeze.

i'm not sure whats going on :(

the apps i had running are

app store, mail, safari, contacts, calander, itunes, messages, reminders,
notes, skype, adium, dropbox.

i'm on a late 2011 mbp, 16gb ram, samsung 830 ssd.

i have trim enabled, and thats the only thing i can suspect.

its happened to me twice, over a 3d heavy use period.
it may be 4 days even.

i'm finding it hard to figure out whats causing it, i was using mountain lion for about 3 days before i upgraded my computer, and i didnt have a crash.

i upgraded my macbook to 16 gb of ram and to a samsung 830 ssd, those plus trim are really the only new things im using/doing on them machine. i have most of the same apps installed, and in use.

i'v turned off trim to see if its that. i have taken the risk i suppose of installing things that might not be fully compatible with lion?

i.e. Perian.

i wondered if i had bad ram, so i ran memtest but it said all was fine, but is memtest 100% reliable at telling good ram from bad?

Last edited:

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I had something similar happen to me on my retina macbook pro 2 days ago.

I plugged in my headphones and my trackpad buttons stopped working. I did hit something on the keyboard as I tried to plug in my headphones but I'm not sure if that is what caused the problem.

I essentially thought my system was frozen but the keyboard abled me to navigate osx to shutdown. However even with shutting down and restarting that did not fix my problem. I had to enable my bluetooth mouse and my trackpad starting working.

I haven't had the problem happen to me again but it was odd. I too have 16gb of memory on my macbook.

I think ML still has a few kinks in it.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
I had something similar happen to me on my retina macbook pro 2 days ago.

I plugged in my headphones and my trackpad buttons stopped working. I did hit something on the keyboard as I tried to plug in my headphones but I'm not sure if that is what caused the problem.

I essentially thought my system was frozen but the keyboard abled me to navigate osx to shutdown. However even with shutting down and restarting that did not fix my problem. I had to enable my bluetooth mouse and my trackpad starting working.

I haven't had the problem happen to me again but it was odd. I too have 16gb of memory on my macbook.

I think ML still has a few kinks in it.

my freezes are a little different,

i think both times it happened, i was interacting with the DOCK

the time that just happened now, i literally clicked on itunes in the dock to bring it back up.

then the menu bar froze on ituens, i couldn't click anything, i could still move the mouse cursor around but nothing was responsive. in the end i closed the lid to see if i could put it to sleep and wake it back up. instead the cursor just turned into a beachball and wouldn't move anymore.

im very unsettled by this, especially if its a hardware problem, as that means the headache of having to open up my mbp more times and see how things run on 'less' hardware.

:(

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
i'm on a late 2011 mbp, 16gb ram, samsung 830 ssd.

i have trim enabled, and thats the only thing i can suspect.

I have the exact same setup, except my SSD is a crucial M4. I was running fine for a month on Lion and since installing Mountain Lion i've been getting the exact same intermittent crashing.

I've also noticed some graphical corruption in Mail.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
I have the exact same setup, except my SSD is a crucial M4. I was running fine for a month on Lion and since installing Mountain Lion i've been getting the exact same intermittent crashing.

I've also noticed some graphical corruption in Mail.

did you turn trim on since you installed your ssd? iv turned my trim off to see how i go without it.

i bought my ram from crucial. their 8gb ram ran perfectly for me for a 3 months.

im sure my ssd is on the latest firmware or atleast one that everyone was saying they had no problems on

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
did you turn trim on since you installed your ssd? iv turned my trim off to see how i go without it.

I had trim enabled on my SSD under Lion for more than a month without issue. This crashing only started about a week into using ML (I enabled trim as soon as I installed ML so it was running for about a week with this enabled without issue).

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
I had trim enabled on my SSD under Lion for more than a month without issue. This crashing only started about a week into using ML (I enabled trim as soon as I installed ML so it was running for about a week with this enabled without issue).

i just had another crash, same kind. while trim was turned off. so i can rule out Trim i think.

i can only now think its down to hardware, can apps that are installed but not being used, cause this kind of crashing?

i noticed this crash happened at exactly the same time as the last one - while interacting with the dock. i clicked the notes app which was already running, and before it could move much in its genie effect, the system and the dock froze except for the mouse cursor.

i decided to be patient to see if anything happened - all that happened were some graphical glitches on the dock, and the notes app after it managed to just appear at the front of my other app (reminders)

despite the graphical glitches, this cant be a gpu problem can it? i mean, the glitches are not consistent, and i can still move the cursor around.

the newest hardware i'v installed - hdd or ram.. not sure hwat to take out, i suppose i should try running the system on 1 stick of ram from the new modules and see if it keeps happening. or put my 8gb of ram back in (where i had no issue).

colloc

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012

Run some utility to check your RAM. If SSD's okay then RAM's the next suspect. ML must be staggering because it cannot read from some bad ram blocks, causing the system to become unresponsive.

Dizzle88

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2008
The same thing as OP happened to be after I installed TRIM enabler with a Crucial M4. It has happened since I turned it off also but I didn't have any problems before and had been running ML

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Run some utility to check your RAM. If SSD's okay then RAM's the next suspect. ML must be staggering because it cannot read from some bad ram blocks, causing the system to become unresponsive.
i ran memtest, and everything came back fine according to it, is memtest 100% accurate?

the system generally runs perfect, it just has those random freeze moments, they happen about once every 24 hours or more. under a fair amount of use.

The same thing as OP happened to be after I installed TRIM enabler with a Crucial M4. It has happened since I turned it off also but I didn't have any problems before and had been running ML

do you think a reformat would fix this then? im not sure. was your ssd the only upgrade you made?

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I just had another crash. I'm now convinced this is related to gfx drivers/flash....my system logs also support this.

----------

We're running a .0 OS release and my hardware has been fine up until this point.

A hardware fault is not at the top of my list.

EDIT:

This fits my issue:
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=137261

This is of particular interest to me:
Note that since this appears to be a graphics driver issue, I've opened a ticket with Apple as well on this. They reported that it was a duplicate of an existing bug.

And this matches as well:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4170395?start=0&tstart=0

Possibly also relevant:
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/i...fied Owner Mstone OS&sort=-modified&id=137667

I get this repeated in my logs at the time of the crash:

5/08/12 10:40:56.000 PM kernel[0]: **** Debug info for *possible* hang in MAIN graphics engine ****
5/08/12 10:40:56.000 PM kernel[0]: ring head = 0x252022fc, wrap count = 297
5/08/12 10:40:56.000 PM kernel[0]: ring tail = 0x00004c50
5/08/12 10:40:56.000 PM kernel[0]: ring control = 0x0000f401 enabled, auto report disabled, not waiting, semaphore is waiting, length = 0x010 4KB pages
5/08/12 10:40:56.000 PM kernel[0]: timestamps = 0x332b2b1
5/08/12 10:40:56.000 PM kernel[0]: Semaphore register values:
5/08/12 10:40:56.000 PM kernel[0]: VRSYNC: (0x12044) = 0x332b2b1
5/08/12 10:40:56.000 PM kernel[0]: BRSYNC: (0x22040) = 0x1
5/08/12 10:40:56.000 PM kernel[0]: RVSYNC: (0x 2040) = 0x0
5/08/12 10:40:56.000 PM kernel[0]: BVSYNC: (0x22044) = 0x0
5/08/12 10:40:56.000 PM kernel[0]: RBSYNC: (0x 2044) = 0x0
5/08/12 10:40:56.000 PM kernel[0]: VBSYNC: (0x12040) = 0x0
5/08/12 10:40:56.000 PM kernel[0]: trying to clear semaphore wait on MAIN ring
5/08/12 10:40:56.000 PM kernel[0]: After attempt to clear semaphore wait = 0x0000f001 no longer waiting
5/08/12 10:41:01.000 PM kernel[0]: stampWait: Overflowed checking for stamp 0x3f03e1 on BLT ring: called from wait for blt buffer (2D blt)
5/08/12 10:41:01.000 PM kernel[0]: timestamp = 0x3f03dc

Last edited:

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
thats interesting, i mean the graphical glitching m witnessing supports it, but it seems strange, im sure ml ran fine for 3 days at least, before my upgrades. then after that i had this issue.

can everyone who thinks they have this issue, describe what actually happens in the freeze in detail? for me its happened twice while clicking the dock. and the dock graphically gets messed up (shadows remain bt icons move and become froze.

the system doesnt respond anywhere, including the menu bar.

interestingly the cursor remains unfrozen and i can move it (no beachball) until i click on the menu bar or try and do something.

and can everyone state their hardware machine?

mines a late 2011 macbook pro, 2.2ghz base model 15 inch.

AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

how can i find logs of my issue??

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
thats interesting, i mean the graphical glitching m witnessing supports it, but it seems strange, im sure ml ran fine for 3 days at least, before my upgrades. then after that i had this issue.

mine ran fine for at least a week before this started.

can everyone who thinks they have this issue, describe what actually happens in the freeze in detail? for me its happened twice while clicking the dock. and the dock graphically gets messed up (shadows remain bt icons move and become froze.

the system doesnt respond anywhere, including the menu bar.

interestingly the cursor remains unfrozen and i can move it (no beachball) until i click on the menu bar or try and do something.

Mine has happened a number of ways. Sometimes i'll be in Chrome with a few youtube windows open...I'll go to click on a video link and BAM! or another time a mouse over the dock causing the icons to zoom and same thing.

Regardless of the trigger, the screen freezes up, no icons zoom, no menus or window movements work even though I can still move the mouse around. This usually ends in a beachball and then total system freeze.

Interestingly, on at least one occasion whilst still able to move the mouse, I could hear the Adium alert sounds of people logging on - so that app was still running it just couldn't draw to the screen.

In Mail.app I've also noticed graphical artefacts being shown in place of email images. This doesn't coincide with crashes necessarily but supports the idea that this is a gfx problem.

Next time it happens i'm going to try and SSH in to the Mac.

and can everyone state their hardware machine?

Late 2011 13" MBP, base model, HD3000 gfx (yours will have this as well). + 16GB G.Skill "For Mac" RAM and a 256GB Crucial M4 SSD.

how can i find logs of my issue??

The easy way is to go to Applications >> Utilities >> Console

On the left hand side try "All messages" or under files "system.log"

Then simply try and match the time of your crash with the logs. Keep in mind there will be a lot of logging from the reboot you performed after the lockup.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
thats interesting, i mean the graphical glitching m witnessing supports it

More links for you:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...ently-full-screen-flash-in-chrome/58595#58595

Problems following an upgrade to Mountain Lion on a 13-inch, Early 2011 MacBook Pro (MacBookPro8,1 with Intel HD Graphics 3000).

With Google Chrome, I was watching YouTube video fullscreen – Flash content. In the middle of video, I wanted to exit full-screen mode but neither the keyboard nor the trackpad worked. The video continued playing fine. At last, I forced the system to close and restarted.

Today I was just chatting in Messages and suddenly everything froze. I was able to move the cursor but nothing was happening.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...mountain-lion-hung-but-the-mouse-still-worked
Exactly the same thing happened to me, I'd have a few windows open and then when I hovered over my dock it would cause this crash (you could see the dock label was stopped about half transparent as it appears). Has to hold power button to shutdown as it never recovered. Happened twice, both last night on Late 2011 13" MBA with ML.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,27397208

Have a 2011 Mini Server (Core i7, integrated Intel graphics), upgraded to Mountain Lion probably a week ago.

Been having frequent graphics glitches/crashes since yesterday (I haven't changed anything). Most of the stuff in system.log says this:

Aug 5 15:29:16 office kernel[0]: stampWait: Overflowed checking for stamp 0x35be9e on MAIN ring: called from
Aug 5 15:29:16 office kernel[0]: timestamp = 0x35bd8f
Aug 5 15:29:16 office kernel[0]: **** Debug info for *possible* hang in MAIN graphics engine ****
Aug 5 15:29:16 office kernel[0]: ring head = 0xc3e07f10, wrap count = 1567
Aug 5 15:29:16 office kernel[0]: ring tail = 0x0000e5b8
Aug 5 15:29:16 office kernel[0]: ring control = 0x0000f001 enabled, auto report disabled, not waiting, semaphore not waiting, length = 0x010 4KB pages
Aug 5 15:29:16 office kernel[0]: timestamps = 0x35bd8f
Aug 5 15:29:16 office kernel[0]: Semaphore register values:
Aug 5 15:29:16 office kernel[0]: VRSYNC: (0x12044) = 0x35bd8f
Aug 5 15:29:16 office kernel[0]: BRSYNC: (0x22040) = 0x1
Aug 5 15:29:16 office kernel[0]: RVSYNC: (0x 2040) = 0x0
Aug 5 15:29:16 office kernel[0]: BVSYNC: (0x22044) = 0x0
Aug 5 15:29:16 office kernel[0]: RBSYNC: (0x 2044) = 0x0
Aug 5 15:29:16 office kernel[0]: VBSYNC: (0x12040) = 0x0

I did a few Google searches and saw others having the same type of issues...

These ones shows the general GFX glitchiness I see in Mail.app:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4160728?start=0&tstart=0
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4145850?start=0&tstart=0

Last edited:

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
thanks sickboy, i have to get ready to go work right now but i checked the console and i have the same messages in my console as yours, repeated several times

i will be back to check out the rest later, i hope we get to the bottom of this problem, i wonder hwy it seems like its only a few of us affected on various models of machine?

i only use lion mail, and i don't recall seeing anything strange or glitchy on it yet.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
i wonder hwy it seems like its only a few of us affected on various models of machine?

I think it might be more than it seems as I've had at least three things cause it (with I believe the root cause being GFX drivers) and so it is being attributed to other things.

The results that I have posted so far a just a sample of the following searches:

mountain lion lock up
chrome lock up mac
mountain lion dock lock up
etc etc...but they all seem to be related to the same root cause.

So depending on what people are doing at the time of the crash, they will attribute this bug to that and so it makes searching for it a lot harder.

Of course, it might be some obscure bug which is caused by graphics drivers but only shows up on non-standard hardware - like people who have a third-party SSD.

That is worst case scenario as if it is a purely software problem which is not hardware dependant then it will get fixed and if it were a hardware problem I could return the hardware....but a combination means Apple won't fix it and the hardware vendors won't find a fault...

TomDD

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Having the same problem on my MacBook Pro 2011 model with Intel 3000 and Mountain Lion installed. It only happens to me while using Chrome and mostly while viewing videos on YouTube, not sure if that is a coincidence or not.

Ran memtests etc... with no issues and getting the same message in the System log regarding the graphics engine hanging.

TomDD

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Having the same problem on my MacBook Pro 2011 model with Intel 3000 and Mountain Lion installed. It only happens to me while using Chrome and mostly while viewing videos on YouTube, not sure if that is a coincidence or not.

Most of the times it has happened to me it has been whilst using Chrome for Youtube(flash).

Are you using the stock HDD and/or RAM?

TomDD

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Most of the times it has happened to me it has been whilst using Chrome for Youtube(flash).

Are you using the stock HDD and/or RAM?

No I ugraded both a while ago when using Lion (8GB Crucial RAM, 1TB Samsung M8 drive) and have had no issues till upgrading to Mountain Lion. I've kept the originals with no changes so if it continues will revert to the originals and see if it still happens.

TomDD

Predator69

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
ML creating more issues by the day . Woder if apple going to come out with a patch or upgrade for ML

Loco.Dice

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
My 13" i5 2011 MacBook Air has lockups as well. The only custom option I have is the USA keyboard, purchased at Apple online.

I thought I had isolated the problem to Google RSS reader "Caffeinated" but it seems to be happening even when Caffeinated is closed (completely closed, so application quit).

The complete system freezes and only the mouse cursor moves. Happens with and without peripherals connected. With and without an external VGA display using the Apple adapter.

My logs show these messages when things go wrong:

Code:
8/9/12 11:42:43.000 AM kernel[0]: stampWait: Overflowed checking for stamp 0xdb0171 on MAIN ring: called from 
8/9/12 11:42:43.000 AM kernel[0]: timestamp = 0xdb014b
8/9/12 11:42:43.000 AM kernel[0]: ****  Debug info for *possible* hang in MAIN graphics engine  ****
8/9/12 11:42:43.000 AM kernel[0]: ring head    = 0x2ac0ef64, wrap count = 342
8/9/12 11:42:43.000 AM kernel[0]: ring tail    = 0x0000fe10
8/9/12 11:42:43.000 AM kernel[0]: ring control = 0x0000f401   enabled, auto report disabled, not waiting, semaphore is waiting, length = 0x010 4KB pages
8/9/12 11:42:43.000 AM kernel[0]: timestamps = 0xdb014b
8/9/12 11:42:43.000 AM kernel[0]: Semaphore register values:
8/9/12 11:42:43.000 AM kernel[0]: VRSYNC: (0x12044) = 0xdb014b
8/9/12 11:42:43.000 AM kernel[0]: BRSYNC: (0x22040) = 0x1
8/9/12 11:42:43.000 AM kernel[0]: RVSYNC: (0x 2040) = 0x0
8/9/12 11:42:43.000 AM kernel[0]: BVSYNC: (0x22044) = 0x0
8/9/12 11:42:43.000 AM kernel[0]: RBSYNC: (0x 2044) = 0x0
8/9/12 11:42:43.000 AM kernel[0]: VBSYNC: (0x12040) = 0x0
8/9/12 11:42:43.000 AM kernel[0]: trying to clear semaphore wait on MAIN ring
8/9/12 11:42:43.000 AM kernel[0]: After attempt to clear semaphore wait = 0x0000f001 no longer waiting

This message block repeats itself until I force shut down the machine.

It happens every day. Google Chrome has never been installed on my system in case anyone wonders since that comes up a lot. I only use Safari.

-edit-

I forgot to mention this is a clean install. I downloaded Mountain Lion from the App Store in Lion, created a bootable USB drive and performed a clean install.

Last edited:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
It happens every day. Google Chrome has never been installed on my system in case anyone wonders since that comes up a lot. I only use Safari.

Thanks for the info. I think this further supports the idea that this is a graphics driver issue with the HD3000.

Hopefully 10.8.1 which is in the pipeline fixes this as its a pretty nasty bug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.