Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida
My question to the masses that were able to get in and order their choice of watch early (This is my first time ever pre-ordering), Do the dates eventually change with this sort of thing? Or are they usually permanent? Ive been checking my status to see if the time frame will drop off to 4/24...
Another thing: How many were able to get the concrete date of 4/24?

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
No one has only a 4/24 date, it's the same range as you. Probably won't change until the order goes to preparing for shipment.

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida
No one has only a 4/24 date, it's the same range as you. Probably won't change until the order goes to preparing for shipment.

I thought so, but I have ran across a few posts stating that their delivery date is "4/24" and nothing more. While the masses seem to have 4/24-5/8 time frame... Thank you for your response

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Also, typical Apple products have an exact delivery date. Apple added the "to May 8" range as an extra cushion, but I'd say they will try to deliver by April 24.

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
This is only the preliminary 'mode' for the shipping status for pre order launches.

I've been through this with iPhone 3GS, 4S, 6+, etc...

This is a cushion for Apple to begin getting everything in place for the week of the 20th. It is then I believe you will hear stories/blog updates about shipments making it to distribution centers in USA, Canada, Europe, stores gearing up etc...

Then I guess around Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday that week we will see cc/debit charges, and changes to our shipments (for some lucky people of course ;) ) to my favorite status: "ships by: April 24th"

Very standard launch where simply demand exceeds supply. It is just insane as they would say. :apple:

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
I thought so, but I have ran across a few posts stating that their delivery date is "4/24" and nothing more. While the masses seem to have 4/24-5/8 time frame... Thank you for your response

They are just using the shorthand of 4/24. No one has a singular date yet.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Spoke to sales reps at a couple of Apple Stores, and they all say the same thing - they're giving date ranges, not specific dates, for delivery. It's best to under-promise and over-deliver than the other way around.

Rayban

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
21lvkb7.jpg

This is what confuses me about the release date. To me this is implying that Apple Stores will have stock on 4/24 since the ship date for online orders are between 4/24 and 5/8. Maybe the delivery date will be set in stone in a week or so? The way Apple handles release dates are confusing and vague. (ie iPad Air 2)

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Spoke to sales reps at a couple of Apple Stores, and they all say the same thing - they're giving date ranges, not specific dates, for delivery. It's best to under-promise and over-deliver than the other way around.

They were trained with a very firm hand to say exactly the same thing.

Speculating is a complete waste of time. They will be shipped when they are ready. "under-promise and over-deliver" is what people want to hear, Apple's the master at spinning a good story.

I've participated in well over twenty pre-order launches. Apple generally does well for most, not all orders. They can't be expected to since they've become a giant mass market manufacturer.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio

Guess it's similar to what they do on waiting lists at restaurants. They'll give you a longer time estimate than when they actually plan on seating you.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014

If you have seen any of my posts you would have read just 4/24. Being lazy is all, I just have not typed out the full date range. Don't even want to now for this reply. Ha.

gui0312

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
Pre-auth fell off

Ordered the Space Gray sport at 3:01am with apple pay using barclaycard, took less than 2 minutes. I had immediately seen a pre-authorization on my cards website, but as of a couple of hours ago the pre-authorization fell off

aohare37

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2015
Ordered the Space Gray sport at 3:01am with apple pay using barclaycard, took less than 2 minutes. I had immediately seen a pre-authorization on my cards website, but as of a couple of hours ago the pre-authorization fell off

I have ordered two on my card and haven't seen the charge I am thinking that it will not show up until later when it ships

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy

Probably just apples checkout system checking to see if your card was valid.

mrcobra92

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
Apple Pay has to because the token can't be used for two transactions, on a credit card, a $1 test transaction goes through jus to make sure the card is valid, Apple Pay must do it all up front as the $1 charge would be considered the transaction and the token no longer valid. Also, I doubt tokens remain open fr two weeks anyway, so even if they did hold onto the token, it would be dead by the time they try and charge it, also, I'm assuming when you make a new Apple Pay purchase, any previous unused tokens become invalid. So that's why Apple Pay must charge in full up front.

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
Apple Pay has to because the token can't be used for two transactions, on a credit card, a $1 test transaction goes through jus to make sure the card is valid, Apple Pay must do it all up front as the $1 charge would be considered the transaction and the token no longer valid. Also, I doubt tokens remain open fr two weeks anyway, so even if they did hold onto the token, it would be dead by the time they try and charge it, also, I'm assuming when you make a new Apple Pay purchase, any previous unused tokens become invalid. So that's why Apple Pay must charge in full up front.

This is wrong. I use Apple Pay to pay for gas, and this is objectively wrong. Sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.