Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
I went to pull my iPhone 4 out of my pocket today at work, it slipped out of my hand and hit the floor. Couldn't have fallen more than three feet. Picked it up to find about 1/4 of the front glass completely shattered.

I cannot believe my luck. I had ordered a case and it shows it will be delivered to my house on Monday. I figured I could survive a weekend with a naked iPhone. My old 2G survived 3 years with no case, dropped it a few times. Not a single scratch on the screen and the thing kept on ticking.

I called Apple just to see what they would say. I figured I was basically out of luck. They told me I can bring it back to the Apple store and they will swap it out for another one for $199. Not too bad a deal I guess. Just sucks that my phone is 2 days old and I already need to replace it.

I'm not complaining about the replacement price. I think it is very fair considering I dropped the phone and I don't expect Apple to give everyone a free phone that breaks theirs. I'm just a little upset that Apple sells a product knowing it needs to be put in a case but one of the selling points is the material the glass is made out of. I consider myself extremely careful with all my electronics. Everything I own is basically in mint condition, from electronics to my car.

I guess what I'm getting at is even if you consider yourself a careful person, BUY A CASE FOR YOUR iPHONE 4!!!!!

Tomorrow afternoon I will be taking a 3 hour drive to the closest Apple store to buy my replacement phone. It will be staying in its box until UPS drops off my case on Monday morning.

On a side note, I am guessing I give them my cracked iPhone and they give me a new one?? Or are they able to replace the screen in the store yet?? Anyone had a similar experience??

Rooftop voter

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2010
Sorry that happend man. At least the backs aren't cracking (that we've seen yet). Can't really do anything about glass on the front, but I've been worried about the glass on the back. All in all though, I don't think my iPhone 4 is as sturdy as my 3GS was. I would have been totally fine if apple had stuck with the 3GS design and just added all the new stuff.

Gagoots

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2006
That sucks, Man.

I can not *stand* to use a case; I feel it defeats the whole purpose of having a sleek, beautiful phone. I'll just pay squaretrade 6$ a month and be sone with it.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
I wish the back had cracked instead! At least then I wouldn't feel the need to get a replacement so quickly. The front being cracked leaves little glass shards stuck to the side of my face when I answer the phone.

Oh well. To the Apple store in the morning!

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
Picture or it didnt happen...

There ya go. Took it with my old 2G so its kinda crappy quality. Need to charge the batteries for my Canon...

Attachments

• IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    757.2 KB · Views: 1,235

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
I'm thinking of sending a link to this thread to Steve Jobs. He seems to be handing out free iPhones, bumpers, gift cards, exotic cars, etc to everyone on these forums. Maybe I'll get lucky!

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
Tomorrow afternoon I will be taking a 3 hour drive to the closest Apple store to buy my replacement phone. It will be staying in its box until UPS drops off my case on Monday morning.

On a side note, I am guessing I give them my cracked iPhone and they give me a new one?? Or are they able to replace the screen in the store yet?? Anyone had a similar experience??

My suggestion to you is to call and speak directly with The store manager before you make that drive. All Apple stores here in Atlanta are sold out! Don't make a wasted trip. Also no they wont replace the glass there they will hand you another phone but normally they replaced cracked screen phones with refurbs ... So who knows in your situation so early on.

Also a friend of a friend just broke his too.

08832d55.jpg

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
My suggestion to you is to call and speak directly with The store manager before you make that drive. All Apple stores here in Atlanta are sold out! Don't make a wasted trip. Also no they wont replace the glass there they will hand you another phone but normally they replaced cracked screen phones with refurbs ... So who knows in your situation so early on.

The Apple rep I spoke to on the phone said all the stores have a few units on standby for replacements/repairs. With my luck this week, I'll get a new one with a yellow screen and worse reception than this one!

But at least the screen won't be cracked...

KameronBriggs

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Somewhere Sunny, California
I'm pretty sure they give you a "field replacement device". Lucky for you, iPhone 4 isn't old enough to have Refurbs yet. It's just a generic white box, they take it out, activate, and hand it to you.

Kevo156

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
Seattle
It's too bad we have to pay $199 and get the whole phone replaced. They need to provide a cheaper option since it's just a piece of glass that couldn't cost more than a few bucks that's broken. Would you pay me $199 for a 3.5 inch piece of glass?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.