Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A $3 third-party app can now record spatial video on iPhone 15 Pro models in a higher resolution than Apple's very own Camera app.

Apple-iPhone-15-Pro-spatial-video-capture-lifestyle.jpg

Thanks to an update first spotted by UploadVR, Spatialify can now record spatial videos with HDR in 1080p at 60fps or in 4K at 30fps. In comparison, Apple's native Camera app is limited to recording spatial video in 1080p at 30fps.

Shortly after Apple's Vision Pro headset launched in February in the United States, Apple released iOS 17.2, which brought the new spatial video recording format to iPhone 15 Pro models.

When viewed on iPhone, spatial videos appear as normal videos, but viewed on Vision Pro they provide an immersive viewing experience on Vision Pro that is almost three-dimensional.

Combined with advanced computational videography techniques and HEVC compression, spatial videos filmed at 30fps in 1080p take up around 130MB of storage space for one minute of video, so bear that in mind when shooting using Spatialify's higher resolution options, which will take up substantially more storage.

Spatialify first made headlines back in November, before Apple Vision Pro had been launched, when a TestFlight version of the app became available. This allowed iPhone 15 Pro users running the iOS 17.2 beta to record spatial video in a format that could be played back on Meta Quest 3 and other 3D headsets and TVs.

Spatialify is available to download on the App Store. The app costs $3 and requires an iPhone 15 Pro or iPhone 15 Pro Max to shoot spatial video.

Article Link: $3 App Shoots Better Quality Spatial Video Than iPhone's Camera App

Last edited:

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
I am going to download this and try. 4K for the AVP will be a large improvement. :) (Hopefully it is a legit app! - the developer name etc look a bit sketchy)

edit: The link above (vs the main article) has messed up the article itself.
edit, edit: it is fixed. :)

Last edited:

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
A further clue to Apple's lack of functional attention to the product. And I must say definitely embarassing for them.
BS. There are way better apps than the iPhone camera in all cases and there has been for a decade. Why would this be embarrassing for them? Anyway. I won’t be discussing it, because I can see the hole people will drag this.

Apple, shyte… Apple rubbish, blah blah blah.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
BS. There are way better apps than the iPhone camera in all cases and there has been for a decade. Why would this be embarrassing for them? Anyway. I won’t be discussing it, because I can see the hole people will drag this.

Apple, shyte… Apple rubbish, blah blah blah.

Sadly, people find joy and live for trashing Apple and Apple employees, day after day after day. You would think those that do would move on with their lives and simply choose another mobile phone and find happiness. But then they'd need to find something else to spark daily joy in their lives.

What a conundrum!

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Still wishing for a 360˚ camera like many cheapies that already exist so that one can capture not just a patch of spatial out in front but the entire scene all around the camera. Then Vpro or Oculus, etc wearer can look wherever they want to look and see what is beyond the edges of this kind of limited view.

If anyone is not quite getting the concept, think about the contrast between watching a sporting event on television vs. being there in person. On television, you watch what some director chooses for you. If they opt to focus the view on a spot on the field, that's ALL you are able to see too. If you are there in person, you can look wherever you want, whenever you want. Want to see what's up on the scoreboard right now, look up there. Hear a crazy fan over to the left? Look over there to see them. Possible UFO over the right field roof? Have a look.

Spatial delivers this little patch of view out in front, most like 3D TV... where the person shooting the video is basically controlling what viewers will be able to see. The 360˚ camera lets the viewer decide what they want to see. For example (one of seemingly countless VR360 videos on YouTube)...

Click in the video and drag around to look in different directions: left, right, up, down, behind you. In Vpro or Oculus, instead of clicking & dragging, you just look in those directions.

The iPhone camera option is better than nothing but still thinking in a somewhat 2D mentality (viewer will watch on a virtual TV screen window, limited range of view chosen by the iPhone owner) instead of 3D (viewer will be as close to being there as possible, with the world all around them and able to look anywhere to see what is there).

Take another look at the picture in post #1. She's capturing the 2 people playing music and maybe a bit of the friend(?) reading the book. How about other friends further left or right? What if there is a pod of dolphins leaping in the ocean to her immediate left? Everyone there might quickly look to see the dolphins. However, virtual viewers will only see them if she pans that phone over to capture them too. If she's slow, you'll miss them. If this was a 360˚ capture, you could look at the dolphins as fast as anyone else on the beach is looking. Look at the musicians out front, look left to see the dolphins, look behind you to see what's happening back there, look skyward to see some flying contraption overhead. You choose what to see instead of the cameraperson.

IMO, this is the ideal way to video capture for Vpro... and I easily imagine services such as sporting events, concerts, shows, etc shot this way so that those who can't actually be there can opt for something better than watching on a 2D television (window) but not quite as rich as physically being there. NFL ST VR, NBA Courtside VR, Olympics VR, NCAA VR, Broadway Shows VR, etc. Would this work for something like sports? Of course. Again, plenty of examples online. Here's one...

No, this doesn't replace a group gathering around a TV when several people are together. It doesn't empty arenas/stadiums/etc because it wouldn't reach the heights of the live, in-person experience... but it is in between the two for those who would/could opt to virtually be there. And people spend a lot of money on PPV sporting/live events to still watch through a 2D window called a television... so there is clearly some revenue potential in making it possible for NFL ST buyers and Boxing/WWE fans, etc to feel more like they are "there" than only peeking through a window to what is happening there.

Last edited:

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
If Ap[ple makes best-in-class, no one buys a third pasaarty app. Ecosystem falters.

There are many better video products than the apple software at many pricepoints. Heck, the BlackMagic one is free.

Blackmagic iPhone Camera app is outstanding (and best of all, free). And is ideal for enthusiasts into making and editing serious videos.

However... what many fail to understand is Apple makes apps for the masses; ie people who want to quickly/easily make videos of their kid's birthday parties, personal travels, etc.

If Apple's photo/video app were like Blackmagic's the majority of Apple's regular customer's eyes would glaze over and never use the app.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
the article image needs to show one person wearing an apple vision pro on the beach screeching "i can't believe it i'm watching a mr beast video"

miric

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2016
I would like to have $3 app that shoots RAW better than iPhone's Camera App. I mean, true RAW but not that disappointing ProRaw. And not buggy on iPhone 15 ProMax Adobe Lightroom Mobile with 5x camera.

Reactions: Shirasaki
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.