02 have 'sunk' and the Apple has rotted!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sdm1985, Jul 7, 2008.

1. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

With the iPhone now sold out in the UK after 4 hours....and the lack of information on PAYG...on reflection what a total mess. :mad:

Apple obviously went for the provider for the most amount of $$$ without researching who could do their brand justice, now Apples brand is diminsihing and 02 have lost the plot...

...lets all reflect on the whole iPhone's short lifespan...a phone that does not have proper 3G capabilites (no video calling) no upgraded camera and voice plans that make up for the reduced price...this is where as consumers we should be showing whos boss!!

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The phone is NOT sold out in the UK. Hell, I'd be surprised if O2 have come close to selling through the allocation to their online store given the state of the website today.

That said, stores will have plenty of stock on Friday.

3. tucker101uk macrumors member

O2 dont really have many fans atm i think!

Personally i'm not even bothering to upgrade... Hopefully when iPhone v3 comes out, my 18 months will be up!

4. AnonymousOne macrumors regular

LOL @ This. I mean I know its been a shambles but...wow.
    PAYG is whats pissed me off the most.

5. sara123456 macrumors member

6. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well if they are unawre of stock levels etc why have a preordering system.

The phone hasnt sold out, thats not my point, its the fact the system is down and is taking payments three times and declining people...so rather then the hassle they have taken it down.

7. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

sdm - there are plenty of similar threads where you can vent, no need to start a new thread. Thanks.

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

They've said the phone is sold out online but I believe that this will merely be a cover for them to take some extra time to sort out the website. Come Thursday you'll see there are plenty available to order online.

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

So wouldn't that be an incredible success story? :confused:

I mean if Apple and O2 sold out all their stock within 4 hours on the Monday before the Friday launch— wouldn't that be one of the greatest things ever?

Talk about the iPhone being more popular than anyone even imagined… :eek:

However:
    This has not happened. The iPhone has not sold out — there is low stock on the pre-orders.
    Yet people seem to have an urgent need to believe the impossible and hurl abuse.

Sometime the incoherence and complete insanity of people here at Macrumors astonish me. :(

10. memesmith macrumors regular

What is your problem!?! If you want video calling, get another phone with another provider. And O2's plans haven't changed since the price drop (apart from the introduction of a cheaper one), and paying for your phone phone subsidy through your monthly charge is a long-standing way of doing business for mobile telcos.

11. geeb macrumors regular

Because there is NOTHING wrong with how O2 is running things and it is unlikely any other carrier could do any better.

Apple has to get a finite number of phones to 30 countries for a simultaneous launch.

O2 gets their allocation. Fanbois smell blood in the water and want to order a phone 1 picosecond after the website goes live.

30000 fanbois kill server and use up allocation.

The end.

12. tucker101uk macrumors member

I've already paid for my iPhone!!! 280 quid!!!!

Why should I pay subsidies????????

13. memesmith macrumors regular

Well I was refering to the quote below,

but that said, for us full price iphone users, we should be demanding O2 put their rates up for the newbies. :)

PS. £280? You was done, mate. I paid £270, actually I didn't. I got it as a gift, and my wife got her mate in O2 to buy it, so she only paid £199.

14. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

How can you say this has been handled right? Its been a shambles!

It is all a mess, If apple and 02 cant meet supply and demand then i guess they need to drop out of the market!

15. geeb macrumors regular

Ummm....the whole business principle thingy is to sell EVERYTHING you have...then make more and sell those too.

Im guessing they have done that.

Would you prefer they launch the iPhone in December to give themselves time to make enough to keep everyone around the world happy?

You are an induhvidual.

16. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

I've followed a few launches, being an early adopter type, and this one has so far definately been the most shambolic ever.

4 days till launch and O2s own sales and customer service people have no idea what they're selling (8gb only? black only? PayG yes/no?), the stores aren't sure when they're opening, and then this.. they text 100,000 people with a message saying 'come visit our website!' and then are *completely* taken by surprise when they do!

This stuff should have been sorted out ages ago, but it wasn't. It's all been left to the last minute. Come the 11th will the O2 staff have any more clue then? Or will half the stores only be selling the 8gb, half selling the PayG, etc. etc.

Nope. Running out of stock (especially that fast) is considered a failure in business terms.

You aim to have just enough to fulfil the orders on a day to day basis whilst never running out and never building up too much stock. That means accurately predicting demand and ensuring supply is sufficient to meet that demand.

O2 opened the online store today presumably knowing when their next stock is due. They sold out in 3 hours (probably more like 1 as the site was down for 2/3 of that). That's not a success - it means their people responsible for estimating demand screwed up *badly* and they'll lose business because customers can't buy their product.

17. bobbba macrumors regular

Rant rant rant....

So much of this is BS spouted out by the uninformed.

Will there be PAYG?
    Will there be white iphones?
    Will the stores open at 7.02 or 8.02?
    Is there any stock left?

People need to calm down and wait, you're just becoming victims of the hype. The questions will be answered one way or another on the day and any claims to answers at this stage are not worth a penny.

There will be very few staff at O2 CPW or Apple who know exactly what is going on as that is not how apple operates so they just make an uninformed guess. Then people post on forums like this one with "OMG, I heard there's no iphones left", the next people then rant at just how bad it all is.

Until we reach the 11th, there's little justification for any of it as there's a good chance that there will be plenty of stock and the store's will operate just fine. If there isn't, then let the flames begin!

If they want an iPhone that badly, they will just retry later on in the week when there's more stock confirmed or just wait for the product to be actually released.

18. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

..except the uninformed are *precisely* the people who should be informing us! O2 themselves.

It's got nothing to do with Apple at this stage. It's O2 - and they should know by now... if they don't the 11th is going to be a total disaster.

A few will, and a few will simply walk away. Their incompetence is costing O2 real money right now.

Anyway where did all these O2 fanboys suddenly spring from?

19. geeb macrumors regular

Nope, to fulfil 30 countries initial orders is a huge order. Consider the initial run to be a fanboi feast, so they then go out and show it off. Then the regular joes go and buy one when it is back in stock :)

20. bobbba macrumors regular

I'm not an o2 fanboy, if I don't get my iPhone on the 11th, I'll be back here bitch'n with the rest of you. Until the product has actually been released none of us know what's going to happen.

21. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

WTF. Fanboys...what so if this phone was on Orange we would be OrangeFanboys for wanting this phone when its out...Oh lets all just sit around and wait for a few weeks...

Did we ask Apple to launch this product in 30 countries?

22. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I think you'll find that should be… Apple Fanbois… ;)

Quite frankly, the way some people were going crazy about iPhone only getting into the US and UK: Yes.

23. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I know that they wasted three hours of my time this morning trying to order a phone (the white handset) that O2 don't have any of, and didn't deem me worthy of knowing this at the start.

And if there are going to be any phones available on Friday for upgraders several O2 employees (and the website) have lied to me today too.

There is no information from what is supposed to be a communications company. If they can't get this right, why should I trust them with my communications?

Phazer

24. Badgerguy macrumors member

It's very simple, O2 made a certain number available online this morning - and they sold out, double quick. They still have some left, but have obviously decided to get the orders they received this morning processed first before opening the flood gates again.

In the meaintime, I called four O2 stores today and they all say the same thing - they'l be open from 8.02AM on Friday, and will have stock of both models (8 and 16GB).

So, if you want one - you can still go and get one come Friday.

--
    BG