Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King t.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
hi,

just wanted to ask you, if 1.1.3 already comes out of the box. since a friend of mine is heading to NYC in febuary, I told him to drop by fifth ave. and get me an iphone :)

will I still get an 1.1.2 ootb or will they have only 1.1.3 ootb?
if that would be the case that they only have 1.1.3 ootb, should I still buy one from the apple store? cause u can't unlock 1.1.3 as of now right? and I don't want to wait til 1.1.4 comes :eek:

King t.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
when is 1.1.4 due ?

that is exactly my point nobody knows, and if you purchase an iphone with 1.1.3 ootb, then you're not going to be able to unlock it. so the only thing you'll be left with is a ipod touch.

King t.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
does anybody have concrete knowledge if the iphones that are being sold now in apple stores are 1.1.3 ootb :confused:

thanks in advance :)

ahand

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2007
it depends on the store and the backstock that the store has, sorry, there's no way to know

marykay9507

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
I would suggest going to a store that does not move through their inventory that quickly-- chances are they will sell the older versions fist and then move onto the new shipments-- not 100% guaranteed, but possible

Ipaqman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
i just got a week 51 iphone does anyone know if it would have 1.1.2 on it or 1.1.3? how do you check?

thanks,
ipaqman

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
i just got a week 51 iphone does anyone know if it would have 1.1.2 on it or 1.1.3? how do you check?

thanks,
ipaqman

I have a week 51 and it came with 1.1.2. You can check by clicking settings, general then hit about.

I also have a week 1 that came with 1.1.2. I got this one on Sunday.

King t.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
but what are the chances of getting a iphone with 1.1.3 ootb in Febuary in New York? :apple:

Ashtangi

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
Similar question - I am in Chicago right now and may drop by the Apple Store on Michigan Ave. I'd be taking it back to Canada so I really need 1.1.2. Has anyone purchased from the Apple Store in the past few days?

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Similar question - I am in Chicago right now and may drop by the Apple Store on Michigan Ave. I'd be taking it back to Canada so I really need 1.1.2. Has anyone purchased from the Apple Store in the past few days?

Apple stores should still have 1.1.2 firmware phones. You can also look on the week of the box, and if it's before week 2, you should be good. If anything, it would probably be either week 51, 52, or 01.

The serial number is right on the back of the box, and you can tell by looking at the 4th and 5th digit. The 3rd digit is the year it was made in, either 7 or 8.

Good luck.

amigoinc

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2008
Hi Nick, Are you sure about 1.1.2 firmware on week 01.

I just came from the Apples store with a iphone and its 3rd,4th,5th are '801'.
I am a little worried to open it now thinking maybe its the 1.1.3 OTB.

Did you open one of week 01. Just need some assurance to open mine. Pls help.

Thanks

Vikash

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
So is it save to say: Before week 2 is 1.1.2?

I need to know this cause my current phone has the friggin negative-black issue (week 51 FFS!)

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
So is it save to say: Before week 2 is 1.1.2?

I need to know this cause my current phone has the friggin negative-black issue (week 51 FFS!)

Besides my week 1, I also have a week 51 and it does not have the negative blacks. Are you sure you aren't just imagining this problem because you heard it exists on the iPod Touches from a few months ago? I just watched a music video on the week 51 with allot of black backgrounds in it and it's perfect.

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
Just thought I'd say that the Apple Store in Regents Street, London, have 1.1.3 OTB iPhones. Same as the local O2 shops in the area.

Vikash

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
Besides my week 1, I also have a week 51 and it does not have the negative blacks. Are you sure you aren't just imagining this problem because you heard it exists on the iPod Touches from a few months ago? I just watched a music video on the week 51 with allot of black backgrounds in it and it's perfect.

Heard about it work at an Apple Store in Holland. I didn't knew iPhones suffered from it, I noticed it while scrolling through coverflow and then using youtube.

I also did the test and it really looks like black is brighter than very dark gray. It just looks awfull! Don't notice it in menu's but do notice it in photos videos etc.

Pretty sure I have the problem. If I twist my screen I suddenly see way more detail in the dark parts...

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Yes i'm sure that if it says week 01 or 02, you should be good to go. The firmware wasn't released to the public until after macworld, which took place in week 3. They can't ship phones with software that hasn't been released to the public. Well they can...but Apple wouldn't do something like that.

Also the screen issue depends on what screen, not week. Phones either have a 5 series screen or 7 series screen. I prefer the 7 series much over the 5 series.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.