Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PMartinez527

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2007
Once the SDK is released in February, the need for Jailbreak functions disappears. Installer should be able to become a true app, endorsed by Apple. If it's even necessary, that is.

PMartinez527

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2007
i would think that if installer.app allows you to wirelessly install apps onto the ipod touch, the new firmware that will be released for the ipod touch by apple will allow you to download new apps through the itunes wifi music store

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
And that would make Installer obsolete because? Oh yes, Apple will host all the Unlocking apps in their servers, why didn't I think of that.

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
this is an ipod touch thread. we don't care about/need unlocking apps.

Fair enough, even though this thread refers to the jailbreak of both, I acknowledge that.

But even so, I maintain my point that Installer won't be obsolete. We still have to see under which terms Apple will distribute apps, and something tells me it won't be free and/or directly to the iPhone.

PMartinez527

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2007
either way, 1.1.3 jailbreak should be released now. apple patching it with 1.1.4 will mean a delay of what, a week? 2 weeks? before it is jailbroken again, and then iphone users can upgrade to 1.1.4. nothing is invincible.

and besides, a wait of a week or two can't be that bad if the only thing the update does is allow you to add apps, which you can do through installer. We want the 1.1.3 jailbreak now so we can not only get installer.app, the new google maps, webclips, vpn toggle, standard gmail imap option, subtitles/chapters in video, and lyrics in music, but also have no need for customize and various other apps since we can now move icons and make our own pages (and much faster than with customize i might add)

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
either way, 1.1.3 jailbreak should be released now. apple patching it with 1.1.4 will mean a delay of what, a week? 2 weeks? before it is jailbroken again, and then iphone users can upgrade to 1.1.4. nothing is invincible.

and besides, a wait of a week or two can't be that bad if the only thing the update does is allow you to add apps, which you can do through installer. We want the 1.1.3 jailbreak now so we can not only get installer.app, the new google maps, webclips, vpn toggle, standard gmail imap option, subtitles/chapters in video, and lyrics in music, but also have no need for customize and various other apps since we can now move icons and make our own pages (and much faster than with customize i might add)

You make valid points, but you need to understand is that if they already got this exploit, then we should not play our chances on apple closing holes in 1.1.4. If they release the exploit now, then apple will patch it for 1.1.4, and while you may be right that It may mean a setback of two weeks, It may also end up being a bigger and more complicated setback. Better to wait a few weeks and end up getting the whole package.

cjd82187

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2007
I agree with the wait. I just wiped my jailbroken touch and bought the new apps. The only thing I miss was my custom icons and springboard. I love the email, google maps, weather, web clips, and icon movement. I now can have page 1 be iPod and apple apps, page 2 a few game web links and page 3 my work web links. I enjoy it more than the jailbroken apps I had. The only thing I miss was the VoIP apps which I couldn't use since I have no mic yet. I can wait till the SDK and would rather have the best of both worlds. To whoever made the new jailbreak, awesome! I cannot wait to get it when the ask is here.

Heather1

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
California
Ok, so all we need to wait for now is the SDK. Once it's released the jailbreak method will also be released, right ?!! (did the team really say that or it's just our guessing ?!) It's only 10 days away to February, no big deal (just afraid Apple'll release it on Feb 30th, hell is with them +_+ ).

Installer app will never be obsolete. Apple may create apps themselves but do you think those applications are freebies ?! Suuuuuuuuuure!!! The only thing that rythmes with :apple: is $, friends. If you like, you can pay for the apps you get from apple while we're downloading them for free with installer. ;)

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Once the SDK is released in February, the need for Jailbreak functions disappears. Installer should be able to become a true app, endorsed by Apple. If it's even necessary, that is.

I have a feeling that it won't be nearly as simple to get free apps distributed through the official SDK channels as it is with installer. There's been no announcements yet about who will have access to the SDK, how the compilation/distribution will work, or in other words any reason to believe that there will be any route for free software development on the touch. There will still be a place for opensource/community developed applications and installation methods even after the SDK.

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
Ok It's only 10 days away to February, no big deal (just afraid Apple'll release it on Feb 30th, hell is with them +_+ ).

Installer app will never be obsolete. Apple may create apps themselves but do you think those applications are freebies ?! Suuuuuuuuuure!!! The only thing that rythmes with :apple: is $, friends. If you like, you can pay for the apps you get from apple while we're downloading them for free with installer. ;)

There is no Feb 30th - 29 days this year. Ha Ha

stanton

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2008
Philly
Possible hack?

Looking at the files we can access: /iTunes_Control/iTunes/Rentals.plist
Looks like a XML file for rentals. I haven't yet rented anything, but might be able to download movies from iTunes for free, or at least change the rental time period without changing the clock. ;)

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Listen to the MacWorld Keynote, he clearly says late-February for the SDK.

I agree entirely that many helpful apps will still depend on Installer.app. I have experienced decreased battery life do to the unauthorized nature of some hacks; looking forward to some certified apps with the SDK.

pcsrule

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
ok I'll wait

I'll wait till February if it means not having to wait for another jailbreak. If I can eventually end up with apple approved proffesional apps and installer app on the current firmware version without downgrading I'm happy.

PMartinez527

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2007
there is most likely over a month until they release the SDK. that is a longer wait than if they released the 1.1.3 jailbreak now, and came up with a new one once they release 1.1.4. Another jailbreak would most likely take no more than 1-3 weeks. It may be more work, but its better than waiting over a month. and besides, it will be more money to the devs :)

rusty.

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
Houston, Texas
probly a really stupid suggetion, but I wanted to try.

this program:
http://code.google.com/p/iphonelist/

gives you access, without ssh, to the aplications folder of you Ipod touch, and iPhone, I just wonderd if it would work in a 1.1.3 of either to use it to put the installer app directly into the apps folder and therefore be able to install stuff.

would this work, if so, someone that has 1.1.3 already installed, could you test it?

thank you.

again, sorry if it's kinda a noob question, and im sure there is some reason for it not to work, but it would be great if it did.
iPhone list let me copy all my music to my computer from my touch I didn't have it all on my computer.

I have 1.1.3

Ay0n5 c03ur

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
When 1.1.4 comes out, I am positive that no matter what form the new applications and installer takes, :apple: will do their best to prohibit unauthorized applications (unauthorized applications = less money for :apple:). Whether their prohibition will be effective or not, is irrelevant. The fact remains that additional measures will be needed to add unauthorized applications. If anyone does not wish to add unauthorized applications, these measures do not concern those people. For those people that will want to add unauthorized applications, it is to their disadvantage to wait for 1.1.4 without attempting to jailbreak 1.1.3! Why, you may ask. Its quite logical really. Say you don't jailbreak, 1.1.4 comes out, and no one can figure out how to download unauthorized apps; you are stuck with a jailbroken 1.1.2, or a unbroken 1.1.3! But if you do try your very hardest and succeed at jailbreaking 1.1.3, when 1.1.4 comes out, you can be patient, wait to see what happens, then make the choice whether or not to upgrade accordingly. If you choose not to upgrade, you have a jailbroken 1.1.3, as opposed to a jailbroken 1.1.2. So try to find the jailbreak, or if you are capable, create one yourself.

solyd

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
When 1.1.4 comes out, I am positive that no matter what form the new applications and installer takes, :apple: will do their best to prohibit unauthorized applications (unauthorized applications = less money for :apple:). Whether their prohibition will be effective or not, is irrelevant. The fact remains that additional measures will be needed to add unauthorized applications. If anyone does not wish to add unauthorized applications, these measures do not concern those people. For those people that will want to add unauthorized applications, it is to their disadvantage to wait for 1.1.4 without attempting to jailbreak 1.1.3! Why, you may ask. Its quite logical really. Say you don't jailbreak, 1.1.4 comes out, and no one can figure out how to download unauthorized apps; you are stuck with a jailbroken 1.1.2, or a unbroken 1.1.3! But if you do try your very hardest and succeed at jailbreaking 1.1.3, when 1.1.4 comes out, you can be patient, wait to see what happens, then make the choice whether or not to upgrade accordingly. If you choose not to upgrade, you have a jailbroken 1.1.3, as opposed to a jailbroken 1.1.2. So try to find the jailbreak, or if you are capable, create one yourself.

If you haven't been following, I suggest reading some more. Firmware 1.1.3 has already been jailbroken, we're just waiting on it to be released.

On another note, I remember reading somewhere that Apple will be distributing the SDK via their website for anyone who is willing to develop. Applications are submitted to Apple with the source code as opposed to just the binary. Apple will allow developers to set the price of their applications, and, if I remember correctly, all revenues generated from a particular application is given to the developer. That last part is a bit sketchy, Apple will probably take a share of it for hosting the applications on iTunes servers. I don't remember which source I got this from, but if it is indeed true, then jailbreaking seems almost pointless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.