$1,100 for Space Black SS

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by abooch1, Mar 10, 2015.

1. abooch1 macrumors regular

Why Do this to us Apple? With only the link band optio . I don't get it.

2. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

One word: Upsell

Apple is still a business.

3. Sharkey311 Suspended

You're buying the watch + the $450 band so it's really a $650 watch and a nice looking band. It'll be compatible with other bands. I wish they would let you choose what the default band was though...

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Can't really do that with the current selection of bands. The only other band that'd be aesthetically compatible with the Space Black SS case is the black sport band with the Space Gray SS pin (and who knows how well the Space Gray pin would match the Space Black?). Hopefully they'll introduce a black Milanese Loop in the future.

5. Sharkey311 Suspended

They also have a black leather loop. If I do decide to bite the bullet and blow 1100 dollars on this thing, I'll be spending another 150 dollars and getting the black leather loop.

6. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Yeah. Like the black SS too, but that price. *falls out of chair*

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Good point. I forgot about the silent addition of the black Leather Loop; however, given how fanatical Apple is about the smallest detail I'd think they'd want to make the inner accent where the strap loops through also in Space Black.

They'll most likely add more compatible out-of-the-box bands for the Space Black case in the coming years, including black sport and leather bands (with Space Black accents) and a black Milanese Loop.

8. Sharkey311 Suspended

I'm sure they will be that detailed, but honestly, who would notice?

9. abooch1 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm hoping the bands will be compatible with next years model as well..

10. hemolyzer macrumors member

I'm not sure what the problem with the price is.

It's the nicest and most professional looking non-gold Apple watch and you have to remember that not only are you paying for an Apple product, you're paying for a luxury watch as well and nice watches aren't cheap.

11. johnc22 macrumors 6502

I want the black stainless watch but I'd never buy it with that band, and I'd never buy v1.0 of this thing. This is an extended beta test until next year when they release a highly improved product, and probably without the band restrictions enforced this year.

I'd rather drop my $1100 on a nice real automatic watch that will last me decades to be honest.

12. happymak macrumors newbie

This baby is Mine on 4/24. This is the watch I've been waiting to buy, and I'll gladly pay for it.

13. Mikes1 macrumors member

Mikes1

Well that makes two of us :cool: :D

14. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

when in technology is the first generation not a "beta" test? I never understood these comments. We are on a tech forum where people crave new products and love being early adopters. That goes with the territory. I type this while looking at my first gen OLED TV and amazon echo. Two of the best products I have "beta" tested.

15. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

I was considering this version as well. Now Im going to go with the space grey sport.

16. fs454 macrumors 65816

I highly, highly doubt there's going to be a 12-month release cycle on this product. Maybe two years, but this isn't something that's as replaceable as your phone is.

17. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    It's the black tax all over again. Even aside the fact that it only comes with the most expensive band, but it's still $100 more expensive. That's a bit silly, but hey, it's Apple...

----------

I would bet so. I think it'll be an Apple standard for at least a few years. Probably in 3-4 years the watch will start to become too thin and there will be a redesign.

I dunno about that... You could be right, but I'd be surprised if they weren't updated at least every 18 months. This is exactly the type of device where technology can allow rapid evolution (small, budding technology, new sensors, battery considerations, etc).

18. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I hear this a lot here... but where's it coming from? There's absolutely no precedent or basis for this hypothesis based on Apple's track record. In fact, Apple has made billions off of doing the opposite... incremental annual updates that creates a repeated upgrade cycle. I don't see this product being any different. It's the first of it's kind and will likely follow in the footsteps of the iPhone, iPad, and iPod and get better battery life, faster, more capable, and thinner with each iteration.

Like with the iPhone, I expect most people will want to upgrade their watch every other year. And in 3 or 4 years, it probably won't even work fully with the iPhone of the day.

Apple is about to show the watch industry how you make money in this business. :D

19. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

this *would* have been my choice..until I saw the price!!

I might have paid 6 or even 700...but not 1100

20. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Yeah, in Canada, it's $1459 or the cost of a new MacBook, a MacBook Air and an iPad, or an iPhone and an iPad, or 3 iPads. :eek:

21. mjs402 macrumors 6502

Yep. Getting this or the 38mm one which is like $1389 or whatever.

22. cosmic68 macrumors 6502

cosmic68

Same here. I really wanted this but that price tag ended that.

Here's the thing; I totally get and understand the design merits the price in a comparable market. But those other luxury watches are heirlooms. Things that can be passed down. Apple Watch will never be that, I don't believe. And that's why, for me, the prices above Sports edition are an anomaly in this market.

But damn that Space Black is sexy.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

True about the Edition models, but $549-1049 hardly qualifies as expensive enough to be a heirloom to be passed down.

24. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

uhm... why not?

25. pologreen94 macrumors newbie

I set my limit for it at $700, sport watch it is...
    Maybe in a few years when I see how integral it is in my everyday life.