Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Think most will be paying on contract not upfront.

Doesnt really help. The more expensive the device itself gets, the more expensive the contract and monthly rate becomes. I remember back in the day i could get an iPhone 5 for 1€ upfront and 39€ a months (this included the service AND the rate to pay off the phone itself)

Now the iPhone 8 sells for 299€ upfront on a 49 plan

fatalogic

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2016
My thing is how useful will the phone be in 2-3 years. The new Bionic Chip seems mighty powerful and the camera has been good enough since the 7 plus so baring something truly groundbreaking happening in the next 2 -3 years the X should hold people over longer than older iPhones. Personally I'm waiting for the 9 or X-s or whatever they want to call it because I never trust 1st gen apple products but it will be interesting to see how long the phone lasts.

Reactions: HoshidoPrince

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
My thing is how useful will the phone be in 2-3 years. The new Bionic Chip seems mighty powerful and the camera has been good enough since the 7 plus so baring something truly groundbreaking happening in the next 2 -3 years the X should hold people over longer than older iPhones. Personally I'm waiting for the 9 or X-s or whatever they want to call it because I never trust 1st gen apple products but it will be interesting to see how long the phone lasts.

I got 3 years out of my 6+ despite people claiming it was under powered at released. It is a bit sluggish at loading apps, but once in memory, it’s fine. Problem is its lack of memory. Doesn’t take much before it has to refresh pages in Safari or reload apps. That’s my major complaint about it. My new 8+ just flies. It’s a speed demon and has 3 times the RAM. Even when something needs to refresh/reload, it’s almost instant. The 8+ and X should be good for at least 3 years easily, assuming you don’t kill the battery before that. But that can be fixed for a price.

Reactions: Ntombi and ABC5S

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
That price tag seems like a tough pill to swallow.
The longer the wait, I think they made the announcement so far in advance so people can let it sink in- I used to be shocked by it but right now just looked at it and thought it was the normal price tag for an X! Now I’m shocked about how my own mind works, but it’s true.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
I'll definitely wait to see (1) how annoying the face recognition is in practice and (2) what glitches there are. In other words, I can wait a long, long time.

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
All of us will wait till the world end and still dont see iphone X release :)

1059699-britney-spears-ttwe-617-409.jpg

Reactions: dsh3

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
It’s $1,568 with AC+ before tax for the 64gb model.

You must be thinking of the 256gb model. Which is $1,778 with AC+ before tax.
Obviously, they were including the HST - that's $1,771.84 for the 64GB model, with tax. Makes it really hard to not wait to see if they ever get available in stores and make a road trip to Delaware (no sales tax) and save about 20%, between the lack of taxes and Apple tax.

As AC+ is honoured globally, what's the downside to buying your iPhone X in the US??? (well, provided it supports the frequencies you need at home) :)

Americans have it easy when it comes to taxes. I wonder if there will ever come a day that they'll have to answer for all of the trillions in national debt. :) The Chinese and the Saudie's may want their money one day.

drjerryk

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2016
What? 500,000 for a decent apartment in NYC? What world are you living in? Try getting anything "decent" under 1.5m in manhattan.
[doublepost=1507423452][/doublepost]I have always updated my phone annually but I will definitely be keeping the X for at least 2 years.

fatalogic

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2016
[doublepost=1507423452][/doublepost]I have always updated my phone annually but I will definitely be keeping the X for at least 2 years.
This is exactly what I'm thinking. I think they have passed the price point for yearly updates for most people. At that price phones should be moving to the type of upgrade cycle we see on the macbook line. However I doubt that will happen since apple's main profit comes from Iphones.

Reactions: eVolcre

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005

I think that holds true for many phones at this point. I have friends with the 6S Plus that are waiting till next year. Same with SE. I'm sure my 7 Plus will be good for a couple more years.

The things is it takes a lot of time for devs to make apps that really take advantage of the processors. The A10 was the next big thing that came and went and personally I still didn't really see anything that necessarily ran better on it than the 6S Plus. If you're big into games maybe that's the exception, but of the titles I've played I didn't notice much difference.

Reactions: eVolcre

mwhals

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Think of it this way, for each year you don't upgrade, you are saving money/discounting your purchase of an X!
If one does not upgrade from an iPhone 6 Plus, they save thousands of dollars over the years. That is exactly what my wife is doing. Same with my S7 Edge.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
1549 USD where I’m at for the 256. That doesn’t include Applecare. Like others I’m hoping to keep this longer but who knows? A larger X, back 3D cameras , Apple is superb at getting you to upgrade.

I don’t even need this one to be honest. Just got the 7 plus in February and it can easily tide me over another year or even two. I just want the X which is a whole different thing. Not rational. I figure I’ll end up getting it anyway next year so may as well get it now and enjoy it an extra 6 months.

This time though I do think it’s my last phone for a while. I can get a new iPad , upgrade my series 2 watch but keep the phone the same. Good size, good design, great camera. Sit out the next few iterative upgrades and wait to see what’s truly groundbreaking in terms of tech.

iToNe24

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2011
NY
Factoring in the NYC sales tax, my final cost for the 256GB version would be $1,250. Of course, I can opt for the 64GB version; however, I have under 9GB of free space left on my 6s Plus (64GB), which is not likely to decrease on my next phone. As much as I want the iPhone X, I'm seriously debating the prudence of spending that much money on a phone. Fortunately, there's still some time to decide.

The way I look at it, also from NY, how much did u pay for your last iPhone. I think I paid 649, so let's say this new phone will cost me $500 more at the end. $500 divided by 24 months is an extra $20 bucks a month. U probably spend that in a few days going to Starbucks or the local gas station Mart. HaHa
I am sure u work hard , enjoy n get it. When u think about it broken down monthly it's not bad. No interest.
Who knows what could happen in two years with health n life in general. Enjoy while u can.
Let's just hope preorders go through n arent sold out in ten minutes. LoL

Reactions: AlphaGuitarist

iToNe24

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2011
NY
I see no purpose for Apple care. $200 n still have to pay deductible.
Spend $50 on a durable case, phone is water proof to certain degree.
U break screen there r all those iPhone screen repair places.
Just my thoughtsss

I think there r other insurance avenues u can go too with iPhone outside of Apple.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'll definitely wait to see (1) how annoying the face recognition is in practice and (2) what glitches there are. In other words, I can wait a long, long time.

So you set yourself with negative expectations with the iPhone X? Then of course you're going to have negative experiences and opinions on it and clearly won't be purchasing it.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
So you set yourself with negative expectations with the iPhone X? Then of course you're going to have negative experiences and opinions on it and clearly won't be purchasing it.
That is natural though. I watched ‘The Gadget Show’ yesterday which is Britain’s leading tech show on TV and their hands-on review and much of the talk reverted back to its price.

Expectation is higher for this model because Apple have gone all guns blazing with a premium price tag. Any issues will be roasted and nobody expects to be paying £1k+ for a beta device.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That is natural though. I watched ‘The Gadget Show’ yesterday which is Britain’s leading tech show on TV and their hands-on review and much of the talk reverted back to its price.

Expectation is higher for this model because Apple have gone all guns blazing with a premium price tag. Any issues will be roasted and nobody expects to be paying £1k+ for a beta device.

I definitely think the price point is the most offputting idea behind The iPhone X. And for somebody who upgrades every year, that is significantly more expensive. But my point was, those who instill negativity before actually having any experience with something, will naturally portray negativity after the fact. They allow their mindset to be in this position to begin with.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The iPhone 8 has the same CPU and the X will suffer the same depreciation it's cheaper $600 cousins will.
[doublepost=1507454907][/doublepost]
Nothing negative about saying it can be annoying. TouchID has my phone unlocked and into the homescreen before I even glance at the phone after taking it out of my pocket. FaceID no matter how many 3D renders of my face it stores will not be as fast as you need to stare at it first. Also just like Samsung's Iris scanner, you have to first press a button to get to the lockscreen,then it will unlock the phone after scanning your face , and then you have to swipe up to open the home screen. I will have unlocked my phone twice using touchid by this point.

Reactions: Geert76

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Nothing negative about saying it can be annoying.

Those are negative expectations determined by false presumptions based on not having experience with anything or the Product itself. That's somebody setting preconceived notion's on something they don't have physical hands on experience with to make an assumption based on nothing. Big difference.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I definitely think the price point is the most offputting idea behind The iPhone X. And for somebody who upgrades every year, that is significantly more expensive. But my point was, those who instill negativity before actually having any experience with something, will naturally portray negativity after the fact. They allow their mindset to be in this position to begin with.
I will admit I’m negative towards it just because of it’s price. I can’t objectively see past that because it’s a big disappointment for me. I likely won’t get any hands on experience with one either as I don’t know anybody planning to get one and I doubt i’ll make any effort to try one out in a store. It’s a bit like when I’m car shopping, I don’t bother sitting in a car out of my price range as there is little point.

I just hope Apple maintain a flagship device with similar pricing to the 8 when I upgrade next year. There’s no denying the 8 is a great phone, but it would have been nicer to see a new design this year. It’s long overdue and they need to deliver that in 2018. Four years and the same similar design is a long time in the tech world and I know people will say ‘but the new design is the X’. Sorry that doesn’t cut it because the 8 is the continuation and the X is the niche byproduct as far as most are concerned. Apple have the resources to deliver exciting products and I feel this year they rested on their laurels and have only done slightly more than last year. Disappointing IMO.

Dr_Charles_Forbin

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2016
Factoring in the NYC sales tax, my final cost for the 256GB version would be $1,250. Of course, I can opt for the 64GB version; however, I have under 9GB of free space left on my 6s Plus (64GB), which is not likely to decrease on my next phone. As much as I want the iPhone X, I'm seriously debating the prudence of spending that much money on a phone. Fortunately, there's still some time to decide.
Bundle a Delaware pickup into a road trip. No sales tax there. You can buy it here and it have sent there for pick up. I saved almost $200 on my MacBook.
[doublepost=1507464775][/doublepost]
I will admit I’m negative towards it just because of it’s price. I can’t objectively see past that because it’s a big disappointment for me. I likely won’t get any hands on experience with one either as I don’t know anybody planning to get one and I doubt i’ll make any effort to try one out in a store. It’s a bit like when I’m car shopping, I don’t bother sitting in a car out of my price range as there is little point.

I just hope Apple maintain a flagship device with similar pricing to the 8 when I upgrade next year. There’s no denying the 8 is a great phone, but it would have been nicer to see a new design this year. It’s long overdue and they need to deliver that in 2018. Four years and the same similar design is a long time in the tech world and I know people will say ‘but the new design is the X’. Sorry that doesn’t cut it because the 8 is the continuation and the X is the niche byproduct as far as most are concerned. Apple have the resources to deliver exciting products and I feel this year they rested on their laurels and have only done slightly more than last year. Disappointing IMO.

Honestly, the price is offputtung but not as bad as the reported supply problems. I know rumors are crazy but if they’re to be believed if you order one on the 29th you may not see it until next year. Also, new designs have been historically buggy. Apple was very shrewd marketers by announcing the 8 and X at the same time. Potentially 2 upgrades from the same cycle.

Reactions: AlphaGuitarist
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.