1 Cad = 0.992507 Usd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TodVader, Jan 27, 2008.

1. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I thought Apple, of all companies, would be intelligent and respecfull enough to know this. How come a 1999$US MBP costs 2200$CA ? We're getting screwed over everything in canada. Xbox live, MMORPG accounts, games, ETC. Enough of this! Anyone here from Canada that is tired about this too?

BTW, not too long ago, 1$US was worth 1.07$CA. Experts predict an equal currency for years to come.

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Not just in Canada but in the UK and other parts of Europe as well. A US$2500 MBP costs 1600 pounds (US$3200).

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

The currency market moves every second of every day.. :rolleyes:

4. TodVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

TodVader

You can keep those rolled eyes to yourself. The US market is going down and our canadian dollar is up par with the US dollar and will stay that way for years. Places such as eBay or Amazone update their currency automatically everyday. This is just more profits right in Apple's pockets and an attempt to get Canadians to go buy to the US. (which actually works).

Canadians go buy cars and computers down in the USA.

Our government is pissed about the situation and is trying everything in their power to get stores to adjust their prices and stop screwing us over.

5. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

Yep. This is rediculous. They want our economy to be strong, but our taxes are outrageous on computers and vehicles compared to our American counterparts, and more expensive before taxes are included. They should obviously know this will continue to happen until they make a drastic change to taxes or the prices of our goods. :(

BUT.... I noticed Apple is fixing this slowly, the Macbook Air isn't nearly as large of a difference as a Macbook Pro is. $1799 in America and $1899 Canadian, whereas the macbook in America is $1099 and $1299 for Canadians.

6. TodVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I now buy my Xbox 360 games on eBay. They sell them 70$+13%Tax here. On eBay brand new, I buy it for approx 55-60$ with 4$ shipping (US) which brings me to about 60.03$. I save almost 1/3 (20$). If the Canadian market was what it's supposed to be, i'd buy it for 60$+8% TAX. The federal tax is a joke and Harper knows it. If he stays there for years (which probably wont happen:mad:), he would lower it to 0%, eventually.

I hope when they update the MBP, they will lower the price to at least 2100 or even 2050. I want a MBP for approx july and am really hoping not having to import. I got trustful friends in the USA that could ship it to me but that a useless hassle IMO.

7. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

Yeah, but he has already done away with 2% in a short time, so we could see some more big changes.

8. aiongiant macrumors 6502a

yeap i agree canadian currency is holding strong now
    yay canadian

but apple still has a good 20-30% premium on them here
    and i saw somewhere before that apple has no plan whatsoever on changing this... so that kinda sucks.. but then again didn't really limit me form buying apple stuff LOL

9. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

:)It's because it's so good! But, when I get enough money for my next Mac I am most certainly importing it. Like hell I will pay 200$ extra and tax for a machine I can buy 2 hours away for less. Also, I wish our gas was AS CHEAP as theirs. Canadians pay $4+ a Gallon. :(

10. MacSamurai macrumors regular

MacSamurai

stop crying about it lol its not that bad.Come back to me when you buy stuff in europe lol,then we can compare costs.Seriously here it's a joke....

11. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

We aren't in Europe so it is kind of irrelevant, ESPECIALLY when it is a simple 2 hour drive not a 10 hour flight. That's what we are really upset about. It is just as easy to get into America as it is to get into a different province, for us.

12. MacSamurai macrumors regular

MacSamurai

i dont really think it is irrelevant to the initial argument of two different currency values and people getting ripped off

13. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

Great point. I will not deny that. But i think where he was going with this is that it is a very insignificant drive for us to import an Apple product for a much lower cost, so it almost seems as though Apple is trying to bring moe sales to the American economy through Canada with devistatingly high prices in comparison to our dollars, initial prices and taxes.

14. jus407 macrumors member

How is it a JOKE, I have been to canada and i dont think the extra tax is a joke, your medical bills are paid of rby the government (hence the increase in taxes) come over to america where you have to pay thousands a year in medical bills/hospital stays/doctors fees

did you know my local hospital charges you $30 to have the doctor sign a piece of paper you might bring in? whether its a release for football or you lost your prescription and need a new one.

dont complain about the higher taxes because in the long run it isnt that bad

BUT the fact that apple over charges you all yes i agree thats wrong

15. MacSamurai macrumors regular

MacSamurai

I think it's a well known fact that apple has always considered u.s. americans their primary targets, hence crapping on everyone of their other customers lol which seems to work for them,as we still buy their products

16. heatmiser macrumors 68020

There was a thread about this some months ago, when the CD first started consistently beating the dollar. Apple ignored reality then, as they continue to do now. Know what the guy ended up doing? He bought a PC laptop from a company whose pricing reflected the reality of the CD v. the USD. I'd advise you to do the same. I can say with absolute certainty that there's no way in hell I'd buy an Apple computer under those circumstances.

17. neoben macrumors member

I know that many clothing lines are more expensive in Canada because they all have to be stopped at the boarder and French added to their labels. I would imagine it could be the same with other products.

Apple has to add French documentation, and comply with other laws to bring Apple products up to Canadian regulatory standards, which are stricter than the US standards. Because there is 1/10th of the marketplace in Canada for these goods, the economies of scale may not be as great, hence the higher price of the goods.

Services that are not regulated, such as eBay, can adjust their currency and be more current with the markets.

I'm not sure it's necessariy an 'evil Apple' policy, but just a regulatory requirement of the Canadian (and, for that matter, UK) government.

I know that RVs are FAR more expensive in Canada for that exact reason. Many Canadians by RVs in the US and drive them back to Canada becuase they are as much as 20-30% cheaper down here due to Canadian regulatory law.

Just my 2 cents...

-Ben

---------------------------------------------------------
    neo-fight.tv - {The Weekly Technology Podcast}

18. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

And not to long ago, our canadian currency was worth MORE than the US's. I believe it was $1 canadian=$1.05 US.
    I agree, its time places started updating their currency. Even if its not on par, it should be damn near closer. Like $2050 or $2100 max canadian for a $1999 US MBP.
    Right now, $2200 can for a $2000 US MBP, thats a 10% increase...saying $1 canadian is worth $.90 US. Bull crap.

19. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well i would not say the federal tax is a joke %5 tax really isn't that bad, its better then most places. You should be complaining about your PST....or just move to alberta so you don't have PST. :rolleyes:
    Harper has done a good job at fixing it after all its already down %2 which is more the liberals did, even with there "promises" nothing happened.

Also Leopard was released on par. :D

20. TodVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

TodVader

Yes I love how Harper is lowering the federal tax. He even said at some point that it's "useless" to Canada long-term.

To the guy who said we get "free" healthcare, I give another approx 30% of my salary into other different taxes. a good 10% to Canada, 10% Quebec, and another 10% which goes to different groups, etc. This is all approximately but I do lose a very high % of my income in taxes and need to pay even more when I buy stuff.

Nothing is free in Canada unless you're an unemployed person abusing welfare.

Note: Some people on welfare are indeed in need of it but lets face it, at least 75% abuse and work under the table.

So please people, stop saying Canadians get everything for free.

21. jaypunkrawk macrumors member

22. ahaxton macrumors 6502a

Thank you for telling this to the American's. Hopefully everyone will understand by election time, or I'll be incorporating offshore.

23. mosx macrumors 65816

Oh please. This isn't the first time the two have been on-par.

It does happen. It stays that way for a short period of time, and then it will go back to where it was.

All economies have their ups and downs. After the elections everything will get better because we won't have someone in charge that drove multiple businesses into the ground before getting into politics.

And then we'll once again be able to talk about how Canadian money isn't "real" money.

24. ddavid macrumors regular

Perhaps when Canada makes their stuff there it will be cheaper than importing it from the US?

25. TodVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

TodVader

How about the millions in wood that you import every month from Canada? That's not including hundreds of difference resources and meat that we send your way. This works both sides, but USA is bigger so it's normal we import from our huge neighbor too.