1 Consumer laptop, 6 professional laptops, why?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by adamvk, Jun 8, 2009.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

I think the shift of the aluminum Macbooks to Macbook Pros was very stupid. Now there's only one "consumer" laptop, and everything else is labeled as Professional, but its very cheap now. The professional just doesn't matter anymore it seems like.

Who else finds this transition stupid?

2. bazza88 macrumors newbie

The "Pro" part was always really just part of a marketing strategy. If you felt better knowing that you had a "Pro" macbook, then their strategy worked. If Apple are now deciding to give "Pro" features at a standard price, then that is certainly good news surely.

However for people that require more features than a standard user, whether it be for the sake of it or not, their options are now indeed limited.

3. secondfox macrumors member

secondfox

It's true. It's all just a name game. Don't compare your stuff with other people's stuff. Be content with what you have.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Plenty of professionals use just a "MacBook". Like it has been said before Apple uses "Pro" for marketing only.

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

consumers will happily spend a few hundred more to get a "pro" machine. It's an elitist thing. And it's a smart move by apple.

6. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

What are you talking about ? All they did was drop the price and call every computer beside the plastic a pro , I dont see the harm, And the did added more speed , I love the price of the new 15 in macbook pro:D

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

...and spend money for a bigger screen and a discrete video card. Sure it was marketing but video card was important for me and I'm pretty sure other users as well.

8. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

IMO there are only 2 psuedo pro laptops on the Apple line up.

but most of my friends tote around the Stealth 2.0GHz Pro (MacBook 2.0GHz Unibody) and just drop in 4GB of RAM... if you are good for Coda and Photoshop i don't see why you would need more..

if you want to render video you should do it on your desktop... you could always do a rough edit on your MacBook and transfer it to your home network to render effects/filters/etc later

9. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

true, but they make a 13" macbook pro now with basically the same specs as my macbook. it's a pro model because if people are presented with a product with "pro" in the title versus a product without "pro" in the title, they'll take the one that says pro, and they'd probably pay a little more for it, just because the name implies that it's better. Like, if they take the new 13" macbook pro, and set it side by side with the exact same machine that just doesn't have the word "pro" on it, they would pick the "pro" one and feel comfortable paying more for it. That's what I was getting at.

10. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

sd card slot (i use them quite heavily), direct ethernet port, firewire is enough for me to care about the changes...all thanks to the change to "Pro" name. we benefit from it so, i don't know why anyone would be complaining over a positive change.

i could care less about the branding change - however, i do care about some features i cared about that were missing when i purchased my macbook.

11. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Well I'm just upset that I spent $2000 on a Macbook Pro a few months ago, and now the price of a Macbook Pro is $1199. I guess everyones right though, its just branding. I may sell my Macbook Pro for a new 13" Macbook Pro anyways.

12. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

$1,199 it's still a consumer price at least....:D

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

True, true...my fault for not reading correctly.

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

So air heads can get wood over the fact that they have a professional laptop.

Like the people who purchase Vista Ultimate when all they need is Basic or Home Premium.

15. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I bought a march 2009 MacBook pro and I'll be honest I was a little bothered at first because it kind of cheapens the pro line. I got over it right away though guess it's just a little human nature to feel distinguished when you spend more. But I love my 15" screen and wouldn't trade it for anything so I'm ok, I do wish I had that longer battery though. The 8gb ram I could always add since I got the march 09 2.66 model.

16. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

How to convert Pro laptop into Consumer

Step 1: Take the new 13'' MBP.

Step 2: Take a chewing gum and chew it for a few minutes.

Step 3: Take this gum and plug up the FW 800 port on the MBP.

Your MBP is now "consumer".

But seriously, the only negative thing about the update is that they sacked the express slot in 15-inchers. Otherwise, it is a nice update.

17. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Obviously Apple hopes telling customers they are getting pro features will do better than telling customers they are getting pro features at a consumer price point.

18. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Apples prices aren't consumer territory. They have gotten away with selling under specced machines at high prices for a long time.

19. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

but yours does have something the baseline 15" doesn't...a dedicated graphics card. what are you upset about? the 13" macbook pro caters to a different segment. nothing wrong with choices and honestly, you should be feeling that way. its the people that have 13" macbooks i could understand.

also, someone was griping earlier in these forums about firewire 800 and how they wouldn't be able to use firewire 400? wtf? its cross compatible...

20. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

sarcasm aside, one glaring difference as well - ability to upgrade to 8 gig of ram...which quite a few actually care about. well, i know i sure as hell do.

21. Jimonthewall macrumors newbie

Well, that's what happens when you spend $2000 on a name: Disappointment.

When you bought your $2000 laptop you spent $700 for a dedicated graphics card. If you bought it today, you would've spent $800 for a dedicated graphics card. I'm guessing you're disappointed about that $100 you could've saved?

22. iSchule macrumors member

Yeah I have to admit it is very smart on apple's part. I am getting one soon and it makes me even more excited that it says "pro" on it! Stupid, but it will work!

23. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

I dont think people realize that , i guess he bought it cause it said pro lol he doesnt care about the dedicated graphic card he already got :rolleyes:

24. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

I do, I do. I use it a lot.

Nevermind now. :)

Close this thread, please!!!

25. couto27 macrumors 6502

future macbook mini

i think this is a apple plan for the new macbookmini

imagine this

macbookmini 8" ....mb white 13" mb uni 13" mbp 15" mbp 17" mb air "

it would be to many models to chose

so in the future will be this

macbookmini 8' or 10"( 1 or 2 models) depends of the 13" sales

macbook pro uni 13 (1 or 2 models) depends of volume of sales

macbook pro 15" (1 or 2 models) depends of volume of sales

macbook pro 17" (1 model)

macbook air ( 1or 2 models) depends of volume of sales
    ...................................................................................