1 GB RAM enough for Leopard, or should I upgrade?

djnardu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
You think 1GB of DDR2 667 is enough or should I upgrade?

I can get a single Gig stick for 25 dollars making my system RAM 1.5 Gigs.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

draw back to doing that is your ram will no longer be able to run in dual channel.

Comment

MacMan33

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Chicago

where are you getting that for 25? also the apple support site is stating only 512 is required.

Comment

MadDoc

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
UK
If you can afford more RAM - get some.

Leopard will run fine with 1GB but it will be smoother with more (that holds true for all incarnations of Mac OS X).

MadDoc,

Comment

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Maximize Your Ram • Don't Do It The Half A** Way • What Mac Model?

What computer model please? You should maximize the ram to as much as the computer is allowed to have to maximize your Leopard Happiness. Why did you not tell us what model Mac you have?

Comment

djnardu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
MacMan check out Newegg.com
----
Well its not the fact of being able to spend the money, more so the fact that If I need to spend the money. I usually have around 600+ ram left when running my usual apps. How much do you think that will decrease with leopard?

Will not running the Dual Channel be a factor of speed?

Comment

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
MacMan check out Newegg.com
----
Well its not the fact of being able to spend the money, more so the fact that If I need to spend the money. I usually have around 600+ ram left when running my usual apps. How much do you think that will decrease with leopard?

Will not running the Dual Channel be a factor of speed?
Speed will drop 5-8%, all other things being equal. Is that free RAM or inactive? What is your page in/out ratio as shown in Activity Monitor?

Comment

djnardu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Speed will drop 5-8%, all other things being equal. Is that free RAM or inactive? What is your page in/out ratio as shown in Activity Monitor?
Usually a combination of both, sometimes more free, sometime more inactive.

My page ins/outs right now is 27223/39

Comment

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Usually a combination of both, sometimes more free, sometime more inactive.

My page ins/outs right now is 27223/39
you dont need ram now in tiger if thats avg use. since leopard wants more ram i say get the 1gig stick and see how it is

once the ratio of page in/page out is 10:1 i want more ram. however, i cant do that now as my machine is maxed out lol

Comment

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
2GB Kit For $50 Is An Insane Deal You Are Crazy Not To Do

86 is a little much and if I wanted 2 gigs of ram i could just buy two 1gb stick for 25 each only 50 dollars.
If you can get that deal you are INSANE not to do it. That is an incredible deal. Where from whom? Link?

OK I see you were mistaken on what ram you need. I'm pretty sure the $86 2GB Kit deal I posted above is the best you will find anywhere. And you should definitely do 2GB not the half a** 1.5GB way.

This is your Mac. Apple iMac "Core Duo" 1.83 17-Inch Specs (MA199LL)

Please include it in your request for help or ad to your signature. Thanks.

Comment

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
If you can get that deal you are INSANE not to do it. That is an incredible deal. Where from whom? Link?
he was looking at the wrong type of ram though but if it was true multimedia is absolutely right

fyi i got my first gig stick in jan for 100 dollars then my 2nd one gig stick for 40 dollars in aug. same exact brand too

:edit: that will work! havent heard of the company though so id read reviews before getting for sure

Comment

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
$48 For The 2GB Kit Is Insanely Cheap And You Must Buy TWO

that will work! havent heard of the company though so id read reviews before getting for sure
You are nuts not to buy TWO of those at that price and the reviews are right there on the order page.

Trying to pass on an extra $24 for a total of 2GB instead of 1.5GB is truly misguided thinking that you will live to regret. You want to buy the ram at the same time so you have a matched pair. :rolleyes:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.