1 million members on MacRumors?

radhak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
NJ, USA
Eight years ago, I had wondered that we had got to 30,000 members on these forums : 30,000 Members here?

Looks like we are now approaching a million members!

Again, maybe the millionth user to sign up should be greeted with a (virtual) pinyata exploding on-screen or something :)!

(Is this the biggest forum in terms of members? Must be somewhere in the top?)

radhak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
NJ, USA
I gotta confess I must have had a dyslexic moment when I posted this yesterday. I saw that first '1' also as a '9' , and thought it was a lot closer to a million already (999,918) :eek: !

We can wait, I guess...

radhak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
NJ, USA
This made me wonder what number member I was.... It is cool how we're getting close to 1,000,000 members.
You are #866430.

If you hover your mouse over your username on the left, the link displayed on the status bar ends with the user number. I am #20855, and as yet, the 'oldest' of the posters in this thread :cool:!

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
You are #866430.

If you hover your mouse over your username on the left, the link displayed on the status bar ends with the user number. I am #20855, and as yet, the 'oldest' of the posters in this thread :cool:!
Thanks. And damn you have been here forever.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
You are #866430.

Ahem.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
While this is a very impressive statistic - and MR is undoubtedly a growing and thriving site - I do have a number of slight reservations, in that I suspect that the number of almost one million makes it look a bit more populated than it actually is.

Out of that almost one million members, I find myself wondering, firstly, how many are active members, that is, members who are both active and genuine, which brings me to my second observation and reservation which is, secondly, I'd be prepared to wager that a considerable number of that membership are those individuals who registered to post spam posts.

Inevitably, they get noticed, and reported and banned. Are banned members - both spammers who have been reported and genuine members who have been banned also counted in this total of almost one million? In other words, does this statistic of almost one million include everyone who has ever opened an account, the inactive genuine members, the banned genuine members, and the countless number of accounts opened purely for the purpose of posting spam?

smithrh

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2009
I'm #286,499.

Maybe I should find the account I originally had... I swear that was around the time of the original iPod.

However, I didn't post much then though, it wouldn't be that easy to find. Lost the login/pass eons ago. Oh well.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Macrumors is one of the biggest Mac-related forums though, right?

I remember joining years ago, right before I bought my first Powerbook.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
That's a pretty cool list. I'm kind of shocked that "bodybuilding.com" is so huge. Are there that many people that into bodybuilding who go onto forums to talk about it? Never even thought about it.

But, holy crap 4chan...over 1.5 billion posts??

Yeah I'm a member of bodybuilding. Diet advice, workout advice, progress pics, etc. it's very informative

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
That's a pretty cool list. I'm kind of shocked that "bodybuilding.com" is so huge. Are there that many people that into bodybuilding who go onto forums to talk about it? Never even thought about it.

But, holy crap 4chan...over 1.5 billion posts??
4chan has over 1.5 Billion posts due to its /b/ board. However, people rarely venture into the other (albeit not as Work Safe) boards which can be informative if filtered correctly.

/g/ for example can be a great guide to computer hardware enthusiasts... however be warned, you have to really read through to sort out the idiotic postings.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
I'm #286,499.

Maybe I should find the account I originally had... I swear that was around the time of the original iPod.

However, I didn't post much then though, it wouldn't be that easy to find. Lost the login/pass eons ago. Oh well.
Maybe, maybe not. Might be worth contacting the mods about to see if they can find anything, search accounts by email or whatnot!
If it was indeed from the era of the original iPod you would be one of the firsts...

But of course, this is coming from the #695,213th member...

Edit: doing a quick advanced search shows an mjsmith and an agent_smith from around 2001... either yours?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.