Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterQC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
Like many of you I had light bleed on my 15'' MacBook Pro, it was getting on my nerve, so I called Apple Care.

I didn't even had to ask anything. I've just said that my screen was bad and that my back lighting wasn't consistent and she (the Apple Care consultant) settled a replacement right away. I was preparing myself to fight for it, since I've heard bad experience about some people having trouble with "Genius" and Apple Care and I was in no way wanting to take this laptop in for repairs since it was only 1 week old.

It's coming in monday :D

wesrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
that's awesome, good for you. Apple Support is really good. I had battery issues and I called on a friday evening and by monday morning I had a new battery, and I just sent the old one and that was that.
By the way, are you sending yours when the new one arrives? I've never known how it works when they send you a replacement.

PeterQC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
that's awesome, good for you. Apple Support is really good. I had battery issues and I called on a friday evening and by monday morning I had a new battery, and I just sent the old one and that was that.
By the way, are you sending yours when the new one arrives? I've never known how it works when they send you a replacement.

You have two choice.

1) They send you a box and you ship your MacBook first

OR

2) They send you the MacBook AND the box at the same time and make a charge to your credit card waiting for the defective Machine. Once they receive it, they remove the charge.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Hmmm... when I had uneven backlight, they made me feel stupid and asked me to restart my computer.

It'll happen. I'm known for doing things like that when it's busy, I ask the customer to do things that I know won't even fix the problem. Also, it's a nice way to start a conversation with the customer and waste even more time! :D

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Good to hear OP, congrats on your replacement. Some of us have had great experiences with AppleCare and we've also had some nightmares that have been shared with other MR members and guests. It's always good to hear about those great experiences.....:cool::cool::cool::cool:

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Yeah, they're pretty good. Yesterday afternoon I called about my MBP 15" battery (2 days shy of 1 year old) which was ranging between 72% and 82% capacity with 116 cycles. The guy put me on hold, and when he came back I had a replacement battery on the way. It got here this morning (priority overnight w/ Fedex.) I've got 10 days to return the old one (in their package, pre-paid.) I can't complain... it seems like they've got their system down pretty good. It kind of helps to have the good margins Apple does, or I can't see this kind of customer service happening.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I had to return my Mac Pro a couple of months back as the graphics card fan had developed a whine - the exchange went very smoothly, but what topped it all was a call from Apple Care (UK) about a week later to check that everything was still OK and how was I getting along with my new one? And it wasn't just a "scripted" follow up call, it sounded more like a concerned friend calling me :)

A1 Service.

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
It'll happen. I'm known for doing things like that when it's busy, I ask the customer to do things that I know won't even fix the problem. Also, it's a nice way to start a conversation with the customer and waste even more time! :D

Two things.

1. I thought it was against the rules, with the punishment of firing, for an Apple employee to post on boards like MacRumors? Obviously you know best but that's what I heard.

2. How is that helpful when you're busy? Wouldn't it be better to solve the problem, that you know a restart won't help, and move on to the next customer? You don't make it clear, but do you at least actually solve the problem in the end?

I'm sorry if I sound aggressive, it just hit a nerve. I'm sure you're an awesome person :)

Cheers.

PeterQC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
Two things.

1. I thought it was against the rules, with the punishment of firing, for an Apple employee to post on boards like MacRumors? Obviously you know best but that's what I heard.

2. How is that helpful when you're busy? Wouldn't it be better to solve the problem, that you know a restart won't help, and move on to the next customer? You don't make it clear, but do you at least actually solve the problem in the end?

I'm sorry if I sound aggressive, it just hit a nerve. I'm sure you're an awesome person :)

Cheers.

You do realize he was joking?

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Sorry, but not so in Germany. They've got no genies here and all you hear from phone support when you're calling for specific problems is to "Write an email to feedback@apple.com". (Yes, they tell that to non-english speaking people, too). They are helpful and nice, but I have yet to get even a single ticket number and technical assistance for a whole couple of issues I'm having.

PeterQC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
I've received confirmation that my new MBP is in transit... form Shanghai, China. This is the first time Apple send me something which will not be shipped by Purolator but by FedEx. I hope I won't receive the computer too late, since I need to send it back to Apple by the 29 and transfer my stuff over the new computer.

PeterQC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
Just an update about the computer.

Got the computer. The backlighting is WORST then what I had with my current one.

Look like this one is going away too.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Like many of you I had light bleed on my 15'' MacBook Pro, it was getting on my nerve, so I called Apple Care.

I didn't even had to ask anything. I've just said that my screen was bad and that my back lighting wasn't consistent and she (the Apple Care consultant) settled a replacement right away. I was preparing myself to fight for it, since I've heard bad experience about some people having trouble with "Genius" and Apple Care and I was in no way wanting to take this laptop in for repairs since it was only 1 week old.

It's coming in monday :D

Thats what we call Apple Quality, something Windows customer surely want and crave.

Just an update about the computer.

Got the computer. The backlighting is WORST then what I had with my current one.

Look like this one is going away too.

A crap. Well, don't surrender, you will get the perfect machine! I have read many stories here that end well.

PeterQC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
A crap. Well, don't surrender, you will get the perfect machine! I have read many stories here that end well.

IT really getting on my nerve now. It seems EVERY Apple products I brought have some kind of defects, except my iPod Nano 2G.

-Apple earphones: Wire stripped, unusable. Twice. (And lost one, but not Apple fault)
-iPod Docking Cable: One of the face of the iPod male port broken and fallen.
-First batch Unibody MacBook 2,4 GHz: Slanted keys, one broken key, top case replaced, having dodgy performances issue until I reinstalled OSX.
-Apple Remote: Menu button and forward/previous button aren't working anymore, only play and volume.
-Apple keyboard: Some keys are squicking for no reason.
-First MacBook Pro: Uneven Backlighting.
-Second MacBook Pro: Worst Backlighting.

I simply love Apple product, and certainly can't live without OSX as I need it for school, but all those little defects... What would you do? Ask for some kinds of compensations?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
IT really getting on my nerve now. It seems EVERY Apple products I brought have some kind of defects, except my iPod Nano 2G.

-Apple earphones: Wire stripped, unusable. Twice. (And lost one, but not Apple fault)
-iPod Docking Cable: One of the face of the iPod male port broken and fallen.
-First batch Unibody MacBook 2,4 GHz: Slanted keys, one broken key, top case replaced, having dodgy performances issue until I reinstalled OSX.
-Apple Remote: Menu button and forward/previous button aren't working anymore, only play and volume.
-First MacBook Pro: Uneven Backlighting.
-Second MacBook Pro: Worst Backlighting.

I simply love Apple product, and certainly can't live without OSX as I need it for school, but all those little defects... What would you do? Ask for some kinds of compensations?

After a 2nd replacement I think hinting would be best choice. I mean a wireless mighty mouse is always great.:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.