1 Week on - Thoughts on iPhone 8 / 8 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Falcon703549, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Falcon703549 macrumors member

Falcon703549

So a week today we were all excited to get our new iPhones, one week later, how do we feel?

• Having upgraded from iPhone 6 Plus to iPhone 8 Plus I can't say I am blown away by the speed improvements.
    • For me, there have been call quality issues that were not present before with the iPhone 6 Plus and the latest update has helped but not solved it completely.
    • I like the camera features, although portrait mode does not give a very sharp picture so far anyway?
    What are your thoughts?

Falcon

2. TravisPNW, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017

TravisPNW macrumors 6502a

TravisPNW

Feel great. I upgraded from the 6s Plus to the 8 Plus.

It's nice to have battery life. I've streamed 8 hours of YouTube at work (screen on) and still had 40% battery life.

Display is amazing.

Speakers sound great! (First time with stereo? Really?)

Touch ID has been flawless.

No notch.

Camera is good too.

Phone is fast.

Wireless charging is convenient.

No complaints here!

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think since that you're coming from a 6+ to the iPhone 8+, is a huge difference in terms of the A11 Bionic with speed and 3 GB of Ram. And you have the wireless charging capabilities if you want it, along with Portrait lighting and Tru-Tone. And you also can take advantage of 3D Touch, which the 6+ did not have.

4. RhysoTDI macrumors member

RhysoTDI

Loving it!

Fast, smooth and battery life is great.

Wireless charging is cool too; I haven't plugged it into a traditional charger since I bought the phone. Got a wireless charger for home and work

5. 4ppleg1rl macrumors regular

Switched over from S7.

LOVE the 8+,

Bigger screen is amazing
    Wireless charging is convenient.
    It’s SO fast, no lag and Touch ID is perfection.
    The camera is beautiful, although portrait mode has its faults.
    Speakers are crazy loud, they’re great and the glass back is so grippy!
    Battery life is the main winner here, it’s incredible. I’m impressed.

Overall v happy with it!

6. Falcon703549 thread starter macrumors member

Falcon703549

Which wirless charger did you by?

7. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68030

Alexander.Of.Oz

I'm loving it!

The better camera and larger screen than my old 6 is a blessing, though I do wish they had a choice of options as to whether you had a headphone jack hole or not.

The larger screen than the X for 16:9 videos and viewing photo's is also a big bonus for me, and the lack of a notch! ;)

I don't need to be a guinea-pig for facial recognition in its first incarnation either, I'll wait a generation or two, like I did for finger scanning, allowing the wrinkles to be ironed out fully and the tech to become second generation before adopting it.

8. djvidi macrumors member

Moved from a 6s plus to 8plus and echo the comments already made about the camera and speed and also the true tone display.

The glass also makes the phone feel a lot better in the hand.

9. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

Went from iPhone 7 to iPhone 8 Plus. Have had it since last Sunday, so it's not exactly a week ago. However, after having spent a few days with this device I've become very impressed with it. Especially with the camera and the convenience of wireless charging. I'm not exaggerating when I say this is easily the best iPhone I've ever had. As cliché as it may sound, it is more true than ever. :p

10. Geert76 macrumors 68000

dus je bent redelijk tevreden met je 8 Plus? :D

11. Dannehkins macrumors newbie

Upgraded from an iPhone 6s Plus to the 8 plus.

Loving it. Screen is clear, the speed is amazing. The speakers are probably my biggest love about this phone. I really don’t have to struggle to hear anyone with this phone. That’s not to say the 6splus was bad, but every now and again the call quality would drop and it would get difficult to here depending on my signal.

12. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

13. geraldem macrumors regular

7plus to 8plus. Pretty underwhelming. Considering taking back and waiting for the X. Or jumping over to Note8.

14. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

Zeker weten! Ik was zeker niet ontevreden met m'n iPhone 7, dat is nog steeds een toptoestel. Maar ik ben blij dat ik de upgrade naar de 8 Plus gedaan heb. Ik kan niet vaak genoeg zeggen hoe goed de camera van het ding is. :D En het grotere scherm is ook een enorme bonus.

15. roeiz macrumors 65816

roeiz

There’s a reason they called it 8 instead of 7S... lol
    Many would not upgrade at all.

16. Bane-Thunder macrumors 6502

We? We are waiting for the iPhone X, why would anyone be excited for the iPhone 7S? Which is basically what the iPhone 8 is.

the iPhone X is the new experience we've been waiting for, all screen and OLED screen at that. the iPhone 7S same ole LCD screen... same ole bezel-full design

17. slears macrumors member

Ik ben erg blij met mijn aankoop! Het is lichte jaren voor de 6s Plus, ik ben net opgegroeid van!
    Ik ben erg blij met mijn aankoop! Het is lichte jaren voor de 6s Plus, ik ben net opgegroeid van!

18. Kung macrumors member

Kung

Went from the 6 to the 8.

I personally think it's fantastic. Granted, yes, the phone/screen itself 'look' about the same, but even the screen is better (equipped with True Tone, or whatever it's called) when you compare it to the 6.

And EVERYTHING else is better. FAR faster than my 6, calls are clearer (no crackling here), speakers are obviously much louder, more responsive, etc.

19. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

Went from 6s to 8+

The biggest changes are
    • Battery life is better
    • Screen seems more vibrant; videos look much better in landscape/full screen
    • The camera seems super cool, but frankly I haven't taken many photos yet
    • Not an iPhone 8 exclusive feature, but Airpods are super useful and helpful
    • Phone seems a tad bit faster in day to day use
    • Fast charging is great for both iPhone and IPads (I haven't used wireless charging yet, but I think I will try it)
    • I haven't had many issues with the size of the phone - it takes a tad bit getting used to, but I'm OK with the plus size. When I wear a suit, I am more likely to put my phone in my breast pocket and the Airpods case in the front pocket now

The biggest "downsides"
    • In pure day to day use, the iPhone really hasn't changed meaningfully since the iPhone 5s or so. Same interface, performance is generally good, same apps, etc. When you upgrade a phone, all you are doing is really is upgrading the hardware around the same interface. This is very different than the iPad, which has added a lot of functionality over that same time period
    • 8+ in a case looks exactly like any other iPhone. It's not an issue for me, but I can see why people may think it is "boring"

Overall, I think most iPhone users should be upgrading to 7/8/x for the new processors, W1 chip, Airpods, newest cameras, etc. It's worth it to have a 7 or higher. For me, if you have a 6S or below, it just makes more sense to buy an 8 unless you can get by with 32G on the iPhone 7. iPhone 7 users can safely keep their 7 or wait for an X.

20. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

Glad to hear you like the change. I just placed an order for the 8+ (using my 7 for the time being). I was going back and forth on whether I should get the 8+ or not. The device should be here next week, but glad to see I'm not the only one who went from the 7 to 8+.

21. lyceumHQ macrumors 65816

lyceumHQ

Upgraded from a 6s to an 8.

I’m not blown away. But then I didn’t expect to be. I’ve not been blown away by an iPhone since I upgraded from the 3G to the 4.

But I’m more than happy. It’s speedy. Wireless charging is great to have. The new home button took a little getting used too. The speakers are great. And I really love the new gold colour.

I always buy outright and I’m not regretting spending £700.

I would have liked a change of look but it didn’t happen so hey ho.

Mostly looking forward to the jailbreak being released. First time I’ve ever used stock iOS and Jesus it’s terrible. Can’t even put folders in folders or get rid of app names.

22. eyedoc2020 macrumors regular

I am loving my 8 plus. Great camera, overall fast and smooth. Really liking the inductive charging. So far it is perfect.

I do have the crackling in the earpiece with some calls, but expect this to be fine with the next software update.

23. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

Surprised you don't see a massive speed boost. I found my old 6 Plus to be close to unusable even with iOS 9.

24. palmerc2 macrumors 68000

palmerc2

Speak for yourself, I don't care about the X and won't get it for a few reasons...

-Really don't care about OLED
    -The notch is hideous and impractical
    -Skinny screen
    -No home button / Touch ID....which brings up some questions....on my 8 Plus I double tap the home button to bring the screen down which is great for one handed usability, how do you do that on the X, or you can't? If you're in a full screen game and you accidentally swipe up from the bottom will it go to the home screen? Seems like a bad design IMO.
    -Not sold on Face ID, yet.

I do like how it practically has no bezel, but that's not even close to outweighing the negatives.

Bottom line: it's a frickin phone, how much of a terrific experience could you want?