1 Year iPhone Warranty cover earbuds?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johndallas999, Jul 1, 2011.

1. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

My earbuds are coming apart. I know they are crap earphones but I like them cause of the mic/volume controls. Are they under the 1 year warranty as well where I can take them in and get the swapped out? Would I need a "Genius" appointment to do so?

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

yup. and of course you need to make an appointment.

3. johndallas999 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Cool. Thanks. I bought iphone from ATT but that shouldn't matter should it? Do I need to bring a receipt or do they check based on my phone serial number?

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Just bring the phone and earbuds.

5. Vegastouch, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

There are better earbuds with mic/volume control that you can buy. I dont see why Apple would give you new earbuds but worth a try i guess. Ive actually never used my Apple earbuds that came with my phone. How much they going for?

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Why don’t you just ask around to see if someone is not using theirs? I don’t use mine, and if someone wanted them they could have them, since I use regular headphones. I hate having things stuck in my ears and having them fall out all the time.

7. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Because they are coming apart and come with warranty.

8. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

1 year warranty on earbuds? Id never have to buy any ever again. They never last that long if you use them regularly. If you get new earbuds, you should consider yourself lucky. Its worth a shot. Worst they can say is no.

9. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

A few years ago Apple replaced earbuds that came with my iPod, no questions asked...it was nice. I'd say you have a real good chance of Apple replacing them for you.

10. johndallas999 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

I like all the functions of the Apple ones, pause, skip track, volume up/down, voice control, calling etc... I don't care about the sound quality, for me the functionality is what I like about them. I'll give it a shot and report my results. I'd be surprised if the 1 year phone warranty didn't cover all the accessories as well, (wall charger, sync cable, ear buds). I know that ear buds are subject to abuse but they shouldn't fall apart within 4 months....

11. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Perhaps not if you just buy the earbuds by themselves but the iPhone warranty covers the iPhone and all accessories that come with it for one year.

12. jordans0nly macrumors member

How can they tell if they came from your iPhone?

13. seinman macrumors regular

Yes they will replace them, and no you do not need an appointment. Dock cables and earphones tend to just be replaced, no questions asked, in warranty or not. I walked into an Apple store with my girlfriend's earphones and nothing else (no receipt, no serial number for her iPhone, no appointment) and went up to the guy who takes Genius Bar reservations. I explained "these are my girlfriend's and they broke, is there anything you can do?" and he just called someone who brought me a brand new pair. I was in and out in about five minutes.

14. jordans0nly macrumors member

Any way to upgrade to the in ear ones? They look more comfortable to me. I know they're $80 or so in store, if yo could upgrade, would that make them cheaper? Just worth asking.

15. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

My DD's dock cable on her iPad was coming apart at the 4 month mark, they actually weren't going to replace it - but i happened to save a $450 accessory only sale for the guy and he did it.

I thought it was strange it was covered but the earbuds were on iPods.

The ones that come with my iPhone killed my ears the other day - was there a change in them? Because, I haven't had that problem with the ones for my touch.

I dunno.... I've gotta find a cheapish BT headset.

16. fleeper macrumors 6502

They are part of the 1 year warranty.

Every time mine start falling apart or quit working, I call apple, they send an envelope with new buds and an envelope to send back my old buds.

I send in my old buds and all is good. I have done this several times since purchasing my original iPhone and have done it with all of them since.

17. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Well there ya go. I guess you dont have to buy earbuds ever again....lol. Thats good support but i am shocked they replace earbuds. Only problem is Apples earbuds suck but for free...what the hec. Id still rather use my Skull Candy's. Much better.

18. maladroit macrumors member

It was this easy for me, too. Just went last week.

19. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

For headphones that come free with a phone, they're pretty good. The ones that ship with some other phones are even worse, usually. Compared to some you might pay for, though...not that good.

20. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Actually the buds that came with my Vibrant are good. They fit in the ear instead of how Apples sit in it and they sound good but no mic built in them.

21. jordans0nly macrumors member

I just walked in today, told them my volume button wasn't working anymore and, a few mins later, new pair.

I really want the in ear ones, but I'll just get them off eBay.

22. johndallas999 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Do they charge shipping if you do this via mail order?