1 year later, my Mac is slow..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Rmpl, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Rmpl macrumors member

Hi. I bought my MacBook about one year ago. I use OS X 10.4.11. Everything is slower now. I run Onyx occasionally. Is there anything else I can do to return my MacBook to its former glory?:apple:

2. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

After adding more apps i will slow over time – you could do a new OS install or add RAM.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How much RAM have you got? And how large/full is your hard drive? Check the former in Apple Menu==>About this Mac, and the latter by pressing Command-I with Macintosh HD (You hard drive) selected.

4. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Also go with a 7200 RPM as your system drive over a 5400 if that is what you are using. A fresh install of Leopard, 7200 HD, and at least 2 GB of ram is the answer.

5. Rmpl thread starter macrumors member

I have 1 GB of RAM. But that's irrelevant as I'm not going to upgrade my hardware. I was happy with the performance of my machine when I bought it. A hardware upgrade is both unnecessary and impractical for me. So, no, it's not "the answer." My harddrive is 120 GB and I have 10 GB free. I suspect this is the cause of decreased performance. Unfortunately I don't have time to back up everything I need and reinstall OS X. There's too much stuff, fonts, unorganized data, etc. I just want to know if there there any apps that will boost OS performance. Much appreciated.

6. dcv macrumors G3

^That's the problem. When there's only 10% or less free disk space it does seem to make the system really sluggish. It might be time to organise that unorganised data ;) or just clear out some unwanted apps/data and free up some extra space. Try WhatSize to see what's taking up the most space on your drive. If you don't use GarageBand for example, you could just delete the app along with a load of sample loops, which are probably taking up a few GB!

7. Rmpl thread starter macrumors member

Gah, I was afraid of that. The problem is that I've been deleting stuff I don't use for months and using the new space. I may just have to deal with it. Thanks though.

8. dcv macrumors G3

It might be worth running WhatSize anyway as I had a runaway log file on my old PowerBook that was over 9GB in size and in a hidden location! Deleted that and the constant fans and sluggishness stopped (til I started filling up the space again of course)

9. Matek macrumors 6502a

I was in an identical situation. I bought my MacBook about a year ago and it slowly got sluggish. Just like a Windows box - your Mac can use a complete reinstall now and then, although some people say that's not the case. Especially so if this MacBook is your first mac (it was in my case) and you were only getting to know the system, installing everything you found, etc.

10. mpw Guest

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. dcv macrumors G3

Oi! I *am* organising my data now, thanks very much :p

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Just installing applications should not cause your Mac to slow down, unless they are installing startup items, nor should having 10GB of free disk space -- this should be more than enough to handle VM swap files, which is why you need free disk space. Reinstalling OSX should certainly not be necessary to address this issue. Do you notice any difference in performance after you restart the Mac? Are you see a lot of beach-balls?

13. Tadros86 macrumors 6502

Tadros86

or

You can just buy an external hard drive for 70 bucks and that will give you an extra 320 GB running at 7200RPM. You can install programs on that and when you organized your files you can put the ones you need but don't use as much on that.

14. unity macrumors 6502a

Thats not correct. Adding additional apps does NOT slow down OS X. Windows, yes, because that 1980s idea of a "registry".

A re-install is also not "needed" but does seem to help. I used to do this more often as a "spring cleaning", but like the OP I ran out of storage space and could no longer backup. So for over a year I had been running Tiger without a re-install. I noticed no drop in performance.

* As pointed out, free hard drive space can make a big difference. Maybe you can just burn some non-essential items to CD/DVD.

* Make sure your battery is installed. Without the battery in place the computer will drop the processor speed. This is a laptop thing, not a Mac thing. My friends Dell does the same thing.

* If Safari seems slow, try this. Go to users/your username/library/safari In there (I think) is a folder called icons (or something of the sort). Delete that folder. You will loose any icons associated with your bookmarks UNTIL you visit that site again. Under Tiger this can REALLY get Safari back up to speed.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You can also do this through reset. Deselect everything but "web site icons."

Not that we really know enough about the OP's problem to suggest a solution.

16. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Definitely not the case...3 years with my G5 and no complete re-installs, runs better now than when I got it (10.4.11 now, 10.3.5 to start with). Installing apps won't slow it down. Cramming the hard drive almost completely full might.

--Eric

17. unity macrumors 6502a

I thought that was a Safari 3 feature, I dont recall being able to reset version 2 but I have never had the need to.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It is -- but I recall doing this in earlier versions, just can't recall how...

19. unity macrumors 6502a

Well then, sine the OP has Tiger, that wont help much! :p Hehe :D

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

10.4.11 comes with Safari 3.0. :p

21. unity macrumors 6502a

snap! lol You so right :D

22. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Dude, two one gig sticks is less than $120 and would significantly increase the performance of your computer.

23. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I don't get this, why in the world 10G free disk space is not enough to run a OS nicely?

24. unity macrumors 6502a

VM swap files and such. Not that is not enough room, but 10GB is boarder-line. Less than 5GB is a real issue.

25. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmm...

Ask a programmer.