Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
AWS here. It has numerous surface scratches on the top screen, but other than that, the case is in pretty good condition. My white sport band shows some signs of use, but again it's normal wear and tear. Fortunately, I have several other bands which I have been swapping out so my white band hasn't gotten much use lately.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
My silver sport watch has a few nicks around the top of the casing, a number of hairline scratches on the crystal, and one honkin' huge deep gash that I honestly have no idea about. I'm a high school teacher, and can't for the life of me think of anything that awful that I've whacked it into. I whack it into plenty of things, but not anything that I thought would do that. I might've caught it on the corner of a drawer of my desk; sheet metal could do that.

Attachments

• IMG_5241.jpg
    IMG_5241.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_5242.jpg
    IMG_5242.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_5244.jpg
    IMG_5244.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 328

Skorpio

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
SC USA
c9f5abbe5cd7dbdc6c30567e133ba49a.jpg
That sure is a honkin' deep gash, much deeper than any of mine, and I work around a lot of metal everyday.
6078a52b80c5a174c12e9c5ce21c955e.jpg

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I cannot rave enough about how the stainless steel/sapphire version holds up. I have banged this against things constantly and the sapphire display cover is flawless. Like I wonder if I looked at it under my hand lens if I could see imperfections in it. The stainless steel looks no more "disfigured" than any stainless steel product I've ever seen. I do not see any actual dents or anything. All I can see is a bunch of fine curvy lines that could just be grains or could be microscratches. I haven't tried cleaning it. But it doesn't take away from anything. I got this one so it would hold up (I'm a geology student, which means at times we go outside near hard rocks). I am pleased. It's slow, but so are all other Apple Watches.

hotrod351

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
Mohave Valley Arizona
scratches, funny. i dont think ive ever owned a watch that didnt, sooner or later, get scratched. in fact when i was young the thing to do was take your watch in every so often and get a new crystal.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
My watch - thankfully - still looks great...the face, the sides, I've been pretty careful with it. I had a big scare back in the fall reaching deep into a fridge at Target for milk..I hit the face on one the metal stands, had a sharp edge - if I didn't have that Zagg screen protector on the face, I would have really messed up the face.

After a few months I started noticing this scratch on the back - and it was because of dust on the darn charging puck. I guess when I would rest the watch on the stand, with the puck...placing the watch on the puck, gravity takes place..moving the sensor on these particles created this. Cosmetic issue, the sensor still works. But wow..talk about sensitive!

lcJxUKa.jpg

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
After a few months I started noticing this scratch on the back - and it was because of dust on the darn charging puck. I guess when I would rest the watch on the stand, with the puck...placing the watch on the puck, gravity takes place..moving the sensor on these particles created this. Cosmetic issue, the sensor still works. But wow..talk about sensitive!

This is why Apple applied ceramic coating on the back sensor of Watch & Edition, they must know about potential dust scratch on the charger. Combined with sapphire front, and polishable mirror SS body, my SS AW always looks like new and shinny, regardless how much I bang against anything, lightly.
It is great to have a daily wear shinning watch could dress up without feeling mis-matched due to scratches on the watch.

Having a daily watch always looks new and shinning, without having to worry about banging around and able to wear it as it without any added on protection, for me, it is worth couple hundred USD more, at least until my next AW, which probably will be 3 years from 1st day I owned current AW.

Reactions: Defender2010

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I bought my SS used, so its about a year old now... half with me and half with prior owner. It still looks pretty much like new. I wear it all the time, including doing year work which usually ends with it covered in sweat, dust, grass clippings, etc.. I have had a few times where I bumped the face against door frames, and such... no noticeable scratches on the face or body.

This is really the reason I bought a used SS vs. a new AWS... because I figured it was more durable and if it did get scratched then I could buff it out.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Scratches on the SS case but I don't need to buff them out. Screen in perfect condition.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Hi guys,

So, the watch launched on April 24, 2015, which is almost a year now and I have the question of how are the materials doing? Specifically; the white sport band, is is dirty? broken? Does the SS version show scuffs and scratches? Does the black aluminium ones show major scratches like the iPhone 5?

I am thinking on buying the second generation in September (?) but wanna now how are the materials holding out after a year of use.

Thanks!

I've had my 42mm SS since April 24 and worn it every day since.

SS Casing: has minor scratches here and there and underneath. Heart rate sensor is flawless as is the screen.
digital crown: still fluid, solid, turns easily. Buttons are fine as well.
Black Sport band: A minor "worn out" spot where I buckle it but color and quality is still as it was from day 1.

Reactions: LordQ

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
My Space Black SS really looks brand spanking new - Must say I've been very very impressed with the durability of the black case - initially I was a bit worried that it might be more prone to scratches than the SS because it might loose the color and show clear SS underneath, but boy was I wrong. Been wearing this baby almost daily since September 2015 and it looks brand new - more than I can say about any of my mechanical stainless steel watches.

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Normal wear and tear here for me. SS. Small scratches that I'd expect to see in just about any SS watch w/ this finish. What's amazing to me is how tough the sapphire screen is. I wear the watch every day. No days off. I try and take it off for risky stuff when I work with my hands. But not always. Completely worth the $ upgrade for me.

My wife, who has the same SS watch as me, dropped it travertine tile in our bathroom while changing bands and cracked the entire corner. It still functioned and she wore it that way for a while but I eventually took it in for her under the Apple Care program. $99+ tax and ended up replacing the entire watch instead of just fixing the screen.

Attachments

• IMG_3570.JPG
    IMG_3570.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 233
  • IMG_3571.JPG
    IMG_3571.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 241
  • IMG_3572.JPG
    IMG_3572.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 257
  • IMG_3573.JPG
    IMG_3573.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 241
  • IMG_3574.JPG
    IMG_3574.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 248
  • IMG_3575.JPG
    IMG_3575.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 231

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
Ive had mine since day one. Got my first scratch around June or July. After that I figured to hell with it as I have Applecare+.

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 197

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
I cannot rave enough about how the stainless steel/sapphire version holds up. I have banged this against things constantly and the sapphire display cover is flawless. Like I wonder if I looked at it under my hand lens if I could see imperfections in it. The stainless steel looks no more "disfigured" than any stainless steel product I've ever seen. I do not see any actual dents or anything. All I can see is a bunch of fine curvy lines that could just be grains or could be microscratches. I haven't tried cleaning it. But it doesn't take away from anything. I got this one so it would hold up (I'm a geology student, which means at times we go outside near hard rocks). I am pleased. It's slow, but so are all other Apple Watches.

It's great to hear... but it's also expected. Those with Rolex, Omega, IWC (or basically any automatic worth its salt), even if they're wearing the watch daily, are unlikely to have any scratches, at least in my opinion. Head over to /r/watches to see the condition of watch "collectors." I'm glad Apple is meeting the standard, but we should expect nothing less.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I've only had mine for 6 months, but wear it from the time I get up until I go to bed every day, and haven't noticed any damage. I even wear it when doing yard work... mowing, spreading mulch, weeding, chain saw, etc... Its usually covered with dirt afterwards, particularly on the back with the sweat on my wrist, but rinse it off and its fine. I don't do that with any bands except the black sport. I reserve my nicer bands for when I'm going to be keeping things clean.

hotrod351

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
Mohave Valley Arizona
well im not going to say why, but i got pissed off and took a apple watch, held it by the band and slapped it against the stainless steel sink, 5 or 6 times. not a mark on it, hard to believe. dont ask why i did it, its enough that i did. i did have to buy new band though. still sure seems to be shock proof.

Reactions: jaymc

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
my local BB had an open box SBSS with a Milanese band for $694. had a lot of fine scratches on the screen. didn't look good.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
my local BB had an open box SBSS with a Milanese band for $694. had a lot of fine scratches on the screen. didn't look good.
Are you sure it was Space Black Stainless Steel and not a Space Gray Sport? The reason I ask is I have yet to hear anyone say that they have any scratches on the sapphire crystal glass of the Stainless Steel Apple Watch models.

ohms12

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
Scotland
I've got a SG Sport - had it around 8 months. I wear it 24/7 - i've hit the screen off small things plenty, but not a single scratch. :)

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
My friend show me his SG with a scratch few days ago. He got his 42mm AW about 1 month after launch. And just manage to damage it few days ago. He told me that he smash he watch again something really really hard. He though he can completely break the watch, end up just a tiny scratch at the corner on the screen.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
Are you sure it was Space Black Stainless Steel and not a Space Gray Sport? The reason I ask is I have yet to hear anyone say that they have any scratches on the sapphire crystal glass of the Stainless Steel Apple Watch models.

that's what i asked. my mom has the SGS and the one he brought out was the SBSS. i mentioned the glass asking that it was sapphire correct? he said yes and it's very scratch resistant. i told him to look at it and he was shocked as was another employee (apple rep maybe wearing an apple shirt).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.